Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback from January 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions

Older Thread (Prior to December 31, 2016) could be found here. The Wiki was taken from this thread.
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback from January 2016

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2016, 7:11 pm
Suspended

I totally understand what it was and what it is now. I'm asking a question. If a lawyer can make a buck on it, why not? If you are not interested in answering my question, then leave me alone. Go discourage someone else. There are many people on FT that you can discourage besides me.

And for the record - that was part of the response that IHG BRG sent to ME. They are asking me to challenge it. I'm willing.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 7:12 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
This IS worth going to court over and filing complaints with many state Attorneys General.

Problem is, the side effect is likely IHG BRG no more.

I've wanted to file complaints with various state AG consumer protection divisions for years now.

Thankfully, I've found a BRG system that works fairly well for me.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 12:34 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by BillyBaloney
I totally understand what it was and what it is now. I'm asking a question. If a lawyer can make a buck on it, why not? If you are not interested in answering my question, then leave me alone. Go discourage someone else. There are many people on FT that you can discourage besides me.

And for the record - that was part of the response that IHG BRG sent to ME. They are asking me to challenge it. I'm willing.
You'll have more luck with bodies , like Advertising Standards in UK, than a legal confrontation.

If by some remote miracle IHG lost a court case, then ihg would simply abandon the brg in it's current form and you are then no better off for your action and expense of said action.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 1:36 am

Programs: DL GM / HH DIAMOND / IHG PlatAmb / AB Silv
The only thing going to court would do is (likely) destroy whole program. It is not worth doing that. Play with their rules and you are fine, e.g. book rooms with no breakfast and the BRG works (almost all of the time;when all other criteria are met) fine. Pay for your breakfast if you want it yourself (since the room is free , it shouldn´t be to much to ask for). I wish IHG would display changes likes this and not hide it but that´s definitely not something I would go to court for. You may have to invest more time searching for propper websites now - that´s all.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by najrob
The only thing going to court would do is (likely) destroy whole program. It is not worth doing that. Play with their rules and you are fine, e.g. book rooms with no breakfast and the BRG works (almost all of the time;when all other criteria are met) fine. Pay for your breakfast if you want it yourself (since the room is free , it shouldn´t be to much to ask for). I wish IHG would display changes likes this and not hide it but that´s definitely not something I would go to court for. You may have to invest more time searching for propper websites now - that´s all.
I support those who spend the time and energy to do that because what they are doing is absolutely "false advertising", basically not comparing apple to apple. Also I don't think they need to give us one free night - do it like Hyatt or Marriott or even Hilton. I'll be more than happy to take a discount than to follow these unfair rules.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 6:57 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
I just submitted a BRG for this weekend, let me see if it qualifies as I am unsure. But either way I already have reservations for the weekend at a holiday inn but figured i'd try the other hotel just in case. I randomly saw it while seeing other options in the area so figured i'd give it a try.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 8:23 pm

Programs: Yorkshire Coastliner
Originally Posted by BillyBaloney
Is anyone out there a lawyer in Georgia? Do we have any recourse?

Any disputes arising out of these Terms and Conditions or the offer of the Best Price Guarantee shall be resolved individually, without resort to class action, and shall be governed by the laws of the State of Georgia, U.S.A., exclusively by an appropriate federal or state court located in the State of Georgia, U.S.A.
This reads like something Miguel "Subject Matter Expert" Locsin drafted between bites of his hamburger as he chuckled away to himself.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 12:32 pm

Can I file a claim for BRG in the same state I live in?
Old Mar 3, 2016, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by FAllWay
Can I file a claim for BRG in the same state I live in?
Absolutely. The only distance restriction (50 miles) is for claims filed within 14 days of each other. State of residence has no relevance.

-FlyerBeek
Old Mar 4, 2016, 9:33 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

Probably has been answered before but can we file BRGs for Kimpton properties yet or do we need to wait until the programs merge?
Old Mar 4, 2016, 9:48 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
Probably has been answered before but can we file BRGs for Kimpton properties yet or do we need to wait until the programs merge?
From the Terms and Conditions (here):

Please note that the IHG Best Price Guarantee does not apply to Kimpton® Hotels bookings. Kimpton® Hotels offers its own Best Rate Guarantee with distinct terms when you book directly on KimptonHotels.com.
It almost sounds like they may not ever offer BPG on Kimpton, but obviously it would be awesome if I was wrong about this.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 8:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
For folks who've recently had a BRG claim reimbursed by mailed check (i.e. the BRG team is unable to get the hotel to adjust the rate) - how long is it taking to receive the check?

I believe the T&Cs state 4-6 weeks after stay completion. In the past, I've usually received the check rather quickly, typically within 2-3 weeks after the stay. I'm currently now 7 weeks post stay on a confirmed BRG, and still haven't received the check. The BRG team claims the accounting department is looking into it.

-FlyerBeek
Old Mar 7, 2016, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
For folks who've recently had a BRG claim reimbursed by mailed check (i.e. the BRG team is unable to get the hotel to adjust the rate) - how long is it taking to receive the check?

I believe the T&Cs state 4-6 weeks after stay completion. In the past, I've usually received the check rather quickly, typically within 2-3 weeks after the stay. I'm currently now 7 weeks post stay on a confirmed BRG, and still haven't received the check. The BRG team claims the accounting department is looking into it.

-FlyerBeek
I once had an issue and the accounting department had to "look into it." I had to continuously follow up and finally got the check after 6 months or so.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 5:17 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Has anyone had issues with a BRG against skoosh.com?

The IHG website is showing for the Intercontinental Boston 7th to 8th May a rate of USD 419 + tax for the night. Quite a few OTAs are showing a lower price of ~ USD 360, but mostly billed in other currencies (eg GBP or EUR), which means you can't use them for a BRG. The only USD-billing site I can find with the lower rate (USD 362) is skoosh.com.

I made a booking on the IHG site, then submitted a claim with all the details required. Got an email back a few hours later saying they couldn't find it. So, I replied with a simple step-by-step guide to calling up the lower price starting with the skoosh homepage (telling them what to fill in where), and giving them screenshots showing what they should be seeing at each point. (Not expecting them to use the screenshot for the BRG, just to help them check they've filled in the forms right!). Also included a moderately static URL for the results page showing the price.

They've come back again claiming not to be able to find the rate, which is surprising. The rate remains for me, even in a fresh search in a private browsing window. In the past, when they've "failed" to find a rate, giving them an idiots-guide to reproducing it has been enough. Sadly not this time. (Note - not quibbling on the pricing, or the currency, or the exact room, or the bed type, or anything like that. Flat out claiming hotel is showing as fully booked when it isn't)

Something about the IHG team and www.skoosh.com? Or just the BRG gods disliking me this time?
Old Mar 8, 2016, 4:45 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Gagravarr
Has anyone had issues with a BRG against skoosh.com?

The IHG website is showing for the Intercontinental Boston 7th to 8th May a rate of USD 419 + tax for the night. Quite a few OTAs are showing a lower price of ~ USD 360, but mostly billed in other currencies (eg GBP or EUR), which means you can't use them for a BRG. The only USD-billing site I can find with the lower rate (USD 362) is skoosh.com.

I made a booking on the IHG site, then submitted a claim with all the details required. Got an email back a few hours later saying they couldn't find it. So, I replied with a simple step-by-step guide to calling up the lower price starting with the skoosh homepage (telling them what to fill in where), and giving them screenshots showing what they should be seeing at each point. (Not expecting them to use the screenshot for the BRG, just to help them check they've filled in the forms right!). Also included a moderately static URL for the results page showing the price.

They've come back again claiming not to be able to find the rate, which is surprising. The rate remains for me, even in a fresh search in a private browsing window. In the past, when they've "failed" to find a rate, giving them an idiots-guide to reproducing it has been enough. Sadly not this time. (Note - not quibbling on the pricing, or the currency, or the exact room, or the bed type, or anything like that. Flat out claiming hotel is showing as fully booked when it isn't)

Something about the IHG team and www.skoosh.com? Or just the BRG gods disliking me this time?

I just tried it (from Belgium) for your date and wasn't able to get rates either, according to Skoosh there is no availability for May 7.

Am guessing this is bc of settings by Skoosh, since several months now I can only access skoosh.com when going in private browser, but next step always sends me to Skoosh.be or Skoosh.fr depending on my location, with a different search result. Therefor, it may also be true that they cannot see your rate in Makati... an honest claim denial, stranger things have happened!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.