Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG Rewards Club and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback from January 2016

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback from January 2016

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 17, 17, 12:50 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: FLYGVA
Wiki Link
Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions

Older Thread (Prior to December 31, 2016) could be found here. The Wiki was taken from this thread.
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 6, 16, 2:33 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by DealAddict View Post
So I cancelled the reservation and made another one for the same date, this time for 1 room, but they declined my claim because I have already had one successful claim for that date.... that's regardless of the fact that that reservation has been cancelled. In the past, I have never been declined for that reason. They really don't want to give me a free night. I think they should seriously do away with the best price guarantee, because it is becoming more and more pathetic by the minute
Sorry to dissapoint you, but with IHG I can't remember anything else than "only" 1 room per househould within 14 days / 50 miles. Only Choice gives multiple rooms free on the same date, same hotel... when it's in the same reservation number.

And not being able to get a new claim approved after cancelling one within 14days/50 miles is NOT new either, I've always known it to be like this.
Old Feb 6, 16, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Stealthmode View Post
Sorry to dissapoint you, but with IHG I can't remember anything else than "only" 1 room per househould within 14 days / 50 miles. Only Choice gives multiple rooms free on the same date, same hotel... when it's in the same reservation number.

And not being able to get a new claim approved after cancelling one within 14days/50 miles is NOT new either, I've always known it to be like this.
Not in my experience, although maybe I don't remember correctly...

Last edited by DealAddict; Feb 6, 16 at 4:32 pm
Old Feb 7, 16, 4:40 pm

What is pretty shameful is that they adjusted my reservation without my consent and basically added another night...?
Old Feb 8, 16, 6:59 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HHD, SPG LTG
Originally Posted by Smiley90 View Post
The fact that I HAVE to book a non-refundable rate if available to even submit a BRG is so irritating... I have a cheaper rate for a fantastic intercontinental I think I SHOULD win, but I just dont wanna risk being stuck with a 450USD room if it fails. I'll just keep checking and hope the prepaid rate on IHG disappears...
I am in the same boat; I have a particular IC that I know my competing rate beats theirs but I am not prepared to take that risk over a similar amount of money for a prepaid non-cancellable rate. Looks like I will be staying at the nearby W instead.
Old Feb 8, 16, 7:04 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Choice Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Is there a limit to how many you can submit? Meaning, I see some of you do this regularly and have 3/4 etc but can they lock your account or kick you off the program for submitting too many brg?

ETA: I submitted my first BRG, let's see if I even did it right. I will advise on the outcome. This may be my new fun hobby lol

Last edited by miadukes; Feb 8, 16 at 7:19 am
Old Feb 8, 16, 7:13 am

Hopefully they either do an update on their terms/advertising, or go back to honoring comparable rates. I'm just frustrated that they advertise the BPG even when I'm booking a best flexible rate, when now they suddenly wont honor it. Then don't tell me my rate is guaranteed!
Old Feb 8, 16, 12:57 pm

Ok so mine got denied becuase they said I was supposed to use the cheapest rate on the ihg site which happened to be a non-refundable advanced rate and therefore it wouldn't qualify.

I thought the rates were supposed to be the same, I didn't compare it to a non-refundable so just wasn't sure how this all worked. I guess I will have to get better at this. Needless to say I canceled my reservation as in all honestly i only wanted to do it if BRG was offered.
Old Feb 8, 16, 1:07 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by miadukes View Post
Ok so mine got denied becuase they said I was supposed to use the cheapest rate on the ihg site which happened to be a non-refundable advanced rate and therefore it wouldn't qualify.

I thought the rates were supposed to be the same, I didn't compare it to a non-refundable so just wasn't sure how this all worked. I guess I will have to get better at this. Needless to say I canceled my reservation as in all honestly i only wanted to do it if BRG was offered.
we just discussed this a few pages above yours, it has to be booked the cheapest rate for a specific room. If that's a non-refundable rate, you HAVE to book that. You can't compare refundable&refundable if a non-refundable rate is available. it's stupid but it is what it is.
Old Feb 8, 16, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90 View Post
we just discussed this a few pages above yours, it has to be booked the cheapest rate for a specific room. If that's a non-refundable rate, you HAVE to book that. You can't compare refundable&refundable if a non-refundable rate is available. it's stupid but it is what it is.
I thought that I did read that upthread but didn't really notice it when I tried to book it. I agree, that makes no sense because on their end I can't compare it like that but in any case. It was my first time, i just wanted to try it, i will attempt to do a better job next time! LOL
Old Feb 8, 16, 1:44 pm

Programs: Yorkshire Coastliner
Originally Posted by miadukes View Post
This may be my new fun hobby lol
I recommend choosing something else. The party is pretty much over.
Old Feb 8, 16, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by patgarrett View Post
I recommend choosing something else. The party is pretty much over.
HAHAH yeah I can assume that it is, I was not completely serious but I will take a look here or there see if I snatch anything up for a night here or there. no hurt in trying.
Old Feb 8, 16, 3:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
I think I have found a candidate for a best rate claim, but before I book, I would like to know if there are any pitfalls.
Maybe one of you guys can help?

I first made a refundable booking and sent in a best rate claim for a refundable rate at another website (the cancellation policy was slightly differed, but I thought it was worth a shot).
The claim was denied because I could have booked a non-refundable rate.

So now I cancelled the refundable rate, but I'm hesitating to book a non-refundable rate, as long as I don't know that it's likely they will accept the claim.

Here are the details:

Rate type: Non-refundable ("Advance Saver Rate")
Room type: (same)
Breakfast included: No
No. of adults: 2
No. of nights: 1
Immediate confirmation: Yes
IHG rate: 320 GBP (hotel currency)
3rd party rate: 315.25 GBP

Do you see anything they could use as an excuse for denying my claim?
If not, I would book it.
Thanks.
Old Feb 8, 16, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K; QR P; HH D; MR G; IHG SpAmb
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory View Post
I think I have found a candidate for a best rate claim, but before I book, I would like to know if there are any pitfalls.

I first made a refundable booking and sent in a best rate claim for a refundable rate at another website (the cancellation policy was slightly differed, but I thought it was worth a shot).

So now I cancelled the refundable rate, but I'm hesitating to book a non-refundable rate, as long as I don't know that it's likely they will accept the claim.

Here are the details:

If not, I would book it.
Thanks.
It ultimately depends on whether you'd book the room anyway, BRG or not. If not, then don't go for it as there are too many things that can go wrong. If eg. the rate on the 3rd party website disappears before they check, you'd be stuck with a 320.- non-refundable booking.
Old Feb 8, 16, 5:36 pm

cancellation deadline
Old Feb 8, 16, 11:48 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory View Post

Here are the details:

If not, I would book it.
Thanks.

If the BPG attempt hotel is well above the price point you would book if paying yourself then you should not risk booking it on non-refundable rate. You may see hotel rooms as only on Flex rates nearer time of stay, say in last 7days before arrival ,and then you can try flex v flex BPG at no risk.

By all means book hotel if you would need stay there in that specific location and date for the online roomrate, whether BPG is a success or not.

If your normal booking rates regularly approach the IHG 320 rate then it is worth paying an extra 25-40/night on the basis that if you win 5/10 attempts you are still ahead in the game.
If you regular normal nightly booked rate is circa 100 night, then in the long run, you could be out of pocket paying extra 200/night and getting your BPG's refused.

BPG claiming on non-refundable rates is not going to give you a free night each and every attempt, so base your savings on winning say 5/10 BPG (regulars do better) attempts, especially now IHG are being so much stricter in 2016 regards granting BPG attempts.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: