Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG Rewards Club and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback from January 2016

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback from January 2016

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 17, 17, 12:50 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: FLYGVA
Wiki Link
Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions

Older Thread (Prior to December 31, 2016) could be found here. The Wiki was taken from this thread.
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 19, 18, 3:08 am

Guys. Stop it. There is no free lunch.
Old May 3, 18, 2:56 pm

Attempted a BRG with Intercontinental, which was quickly denied.

1. Intercontinental Mumbai where rate on IHG website was shown in USD
2. A lower rate in USD was found on Hotels.com, for which I submitted the claim.
3. Claim was denied with the following reason: The lower rate must be quoted, booked and paid for in the default currency of the hotel as shown on the IHG website which is US Dollars (USD). However, third-party website will take payment in Indian Rupee (INR).

Does this mean that I need to find a website that will only show/accept one currency for a hotel booking and that has to be the same currency as the IHG website? The Hotels.com website is displaying and charging me in USD and will only show other currencies around the world if I change it.
Old May 4, 18, 10:36 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by eclipse_boi View Post

2. A lower rate in USD was found on Hotels.com, for which I submitted the claim.
3. Claim was denied with the following reason: The lower rate must be quoted, booked and paid for in the default currency of the hotel as shown on the IHG website which is US Dollars (USD). However, third-party website will take payment in Indian Rupee (INR).

Does this mean that I need to find a website that will only show/accept one currency for a hotel booking and that has to be the same currency as the IHG website? The Hotels.com website is displaying and charging me in USD and will only show other currencies around the world if I change it.
Many OTA sites can be set to display searched for rooms in multiple currency's.

Under IHG BPG t+c's, it is actually the currency the OTA bills your CC that must be same as the currency same hotel on IHG.COM is booked under, which in many cases is different from displayed currency and wheb booking it is rare thst OTA gives one control to choose a preferred payment currency.
Old May 5, 18, 3:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by eclipse_boi View Post

Originally Posted by scubaccr View Post
Many OTA sites can be set to display searched for rooms in multiple currency's.

Under IHG BPG t+c's, it is actually the currency the OTA bills your CC that must be same as the currency same hotel on IHG.COM is booked under, which in many cases is different from displayed currency and wheb booking it is rare thst OTA gives one control to choose a preferred payment currency.
Hotels.com is most certainly going to bill American customers in USD.

I think the issue is that IHG may quote prices for India in USD, but the hotel will convert that to rupees on the day and charge the customer in INR. (after all, you can't really expect an Indian citizen to pay in a foreign currency in their own country) FWIW I'm less familiar with India but this is how it works in South American countries with weak currencies.

Of course, it should be possible for you to choose to pay on hotels.com in INR, except there might not be an IHG rate quoted in INR.

Just another example of how IHG's BRG is a scam, with enough complexity built into the T&Cs so as to deny as many claims as possible. One would have thought that this would soften now that they're just handing out points as compensation, but apparently not.
Old May 5, 18, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
Hotels.com is most certainly going to bill American customers in USD.

I think the issue is that IHG may quote prices for India in USD, but the hotel will convert that to rupees on the day and charge the customer in INR. (after all, you can't really expect an Indian citizen to pay in a foreign currency in their own country) FWIW I'm less familiar with India but this is how it works in South American countries with weak currencies.

Of course, it should be possible for you to choose to pay on hotels.com in INR, except there might not be an IHG rate quoted in INR.

Just another example of how IHG's BRG is a scam, with enough complexity built into the T&Cs so as to deny as many claims as possible. One would have thought that this would soften now that they're just handing out points as compensation, but apparently not.
My understanding is that the hotel's currency is the default one in which the room rate is quoted on the website. Making USD the reference currency for the Mumbai IC - notwithstanding final billing taking place in INR (converted from USD at the rate in force at the time of payment).

On the other hand the HI in Sakinaka, by the airport, uses INR as its reference currency.

So a successful claim for the IC would need to refer to a third party billing in USD, while the HI would need one billing in INR.

I may be wrong.
Old May 5, 18, 8:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post

So a successful claim for the IC would need to refer to a third party billing in USD, while the HI would need one billing in INR.

I may be wrong.
I agree, but cannot possibly understand why IHG would reply that hotels.com don't bill in USD.
Old May 5, 18, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
I agree, but cannot possibly understand why IHG would reply that hotels.com don't bill in USD.

yup, that bit is weird and deserves a robust challenge
Old May 30, 18, 7:47 am

Programs: UA 1K; QR P; HH D; MR G; IHG SpAmb
matching terms

For LPP, are they now enforcing matching cancellation terms also for the case where only the flexible rate is available to book?

Last edited by a9504477; May 30, 18 at 10:25 am Reason: corrected sentence which didn't make much sense;-)
Old May 30, 18, 8:02 am

LPP ded
Old Jun 2, 18, 12:35 pm

Programs: Yorkshire Coastliner
Originally Posted by 336 View Post
LPP ded
Game over!
Old Jun 2, 18, 4:51 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by patgarrett View Post
Game over!
I think all hotel chains BPGs programs are dying, eg last week Marriott update their own LNF and SPG version, cherry picking worst common bits, removing any Marriott/SPG specific good things. Really far worse now and game over
Old Jun 5, 18, 5:45 am

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Originally Posted by scubaccr View Post
I think all hotel chains BPGs programs are dying, eg last week Marriott update their own LNF and SPG version, cherry picking worst common bits, removing any Marriott/SPG specific good things. Really far worse now and game over
It's a fact that it's getting more and more difficult to score BRG, I got a LNF approved last week so it's not impossible. SPG BRG started up insanely generous - you don't even have to make a reservation to file a claim.
Old Jun 16, 18, 2:22 am

As of June 14, 2018, the Lowest Price Promise program has been discontinued and all claims submitted for LPP participating hotels will now be covered by the Best Price Guarantee Terms and Conditions. As such, all 'valid' claims will be entitled to a rate match and 5X the IHG® Rewards Club points up to a maximum of 40,000 bonus points per stay.

All previously awarded claims for LPP will remain ‘valid’ and will be honored in full by IHG and our hotels regardless of the date of stay. However, we will no longer honor a free night moving forward.
Old Jun 19, 18, 4:27 am

Programs: Yorkshire Coastliner
Originally Posted by 336 View Post
As of June 14, 2018, the Lowest Price Promise program has been discontinued and all claims submitted for LPP participating hotels will now be covered by the Best Price Guarantee Terms and Conditions. As such, all 'valid' claims will be entitled to a rate match and 5X the IHG® Rewards Club points up to a maximum of 40,000 bonus points per stay.

All previously awarded claims for LPP will remain ‘valid’ and will be honored in full by IHG and our hotels regardless of the date of stay. However, we will no longer honor a free night moving forward.
On the down side, I won‘t be adding to my 100+ free nights. On the plus side, no more interaction with those as*****s in Manila.
Old Apr 1, 19, 12:55 pm

Programs: Asiamiles
I had a rather interesting experiences recently.

i booked on a flexible rate on IHG app, and used the BRG against a rate on hotel.com on flexible. It was clear that the IHG flexible rate is more expensive than hotel.com's (by the way, there were no pre-paid rate on IHG app, there is however pre-paid rate on hotel.com).

At first they denied my claim, saying hotel.com can cancel the room ONE DAY later than IHG app rate. I was furious but didn't argue, nor return the email. After two days, i received an update saying my BRG was valid and they would honor hotel.com's rate and gave me 5x points.
Did not expect that at all!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: