Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG Rewards Club and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback from January 2016

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback from January 2016

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 17, 17, 12:50 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: FLYGVA
Wiki Link
Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions

Older Thread (Prior to December 31, 2016) could be found here. The Wiki was taken from this thread.
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 8, 17, 2:44 pm

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold & ST Elite Plus.
Hey guys,

I'm assigned by a travel magazine to 'test' how fair IHG is doing their BRG. I did quite some BRG's in the past, but honestly I'm having a hard time finding any OTA that offers a lower price these days.

I'm looking into Europe and Thailand. Any suggestion for an OTA (I used Skyscanner, Momondo, Kayak & Trivago already) is very welcome (in a PM)!

Thanks!
Old Mar 8, 17, 2:47 pm

Spoiler alert: not very
Old Mar 8, 17, 2:52 pm

Haha! I know .....
Old Mar 8, 17, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Travel-Quinten View Post
Hey guys,

I'm assigned by a travel magazine to 'test' how fair IHG is doing their BRG. I did quite some BRG's in the past, but honestly I'm having a hard time finding any OTA that offers a lower price these days.

I'm looking into Europe and Thailand. Any suggestion for an OTA (I used Skyscanner, Momondo, Kayak & Trivago already) is very welcome (in a PM)!

Thanks!
I didn't have success with the guarantee when trying with a Travelzoo rate that beat IHG's rate with the same cancellation policy and room type simply because the Travelzoo rate included more benefits like a discount on spa and restaurant that the IHG rate did not include. They denied it saying that the Travelzoo was non-comparable package deal. Yes even when the package is of better value AND the rate was better they still said they two were not comparable and not eligible for matching.
Old Mar 9, 17, 1:38 am

Thanks for this insane example - I'll take a walk through the zoo
Old Mar 9, 17, 4:01 am

The problem is no longer the uncommon and unreasonable interpretation of rules, which you can only master with some experience.

The real problem now is that they became increasingly unpredictable, and inconsistent, on top of their already sometimes incapable claim treatments.
Old Mar 9, 17, 4:13 am

That's what I wish to test. Could you give me a direction (country, city, OTA) that would get me a BRG case to test? It was so easy before, but I can't find any now
Old Mar 10, 17, 1:00 pm

That's what I wish to test. Could you give me a direction (country, city, OTA) that would get me a BRG case to test? It was so easy before, but I can't find any now
There is no magic OTA at least for the US. You go through the usual suspects - the big aggregate sites like kayak, hotelscombined and trivago and check if they link you to better rate than IHG. If not you just move along. Very often times if the majors have nothing you will not be able to find anything on other sites, so you just move on instead of wasting your time and checking dozens more sites.
I have specific Japanese OTA which worked very well for me for bookings in Japan including BRGs on Intercontinentals but I am not aware of any other country/continent specific OTAs for BRG purposes.
Old Mar 11, 17, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by boris10475 View Post
There is no magic OTA at least for the US. You go through the usual suspects - the big aggregate sites like kayak, hotelscombined and trivago and check if they link you to better rate than IHG. If not you just move along. Very often times if the majors have nothing you will not be able to find anything on other sites, so you just move on instead of wasting your time and checking dozens more sites.
I have specific Japanese OTA which worked very well for me for bookings in Japan including BRGs on Intercontinentals but I am not aware of any other country/continent specific OTAs for BRG purposes.
Thanks for your help, Boris. I'll do just that. And as a matter of fact, I'll be in Japan this Thursday. Let me give it another try!
Old Mar 11, 17, 7:24 am

Rates on IHG.com and Amoma.com are similar. But (only) if you visit Amoma.com through Skyscanner, Trivago or Kayak, rates drop by 20%. Does that make a valid BRG?
Old Mar 12, 17, 1:36 am

My claim got approved: a HI flex rate against a (much lower) Amoma non-ref. rate. That's not so bad.
Old Mar 12, 17, 9:09 pm

My claim got approved: a HI flex rate against a (much lower) Amoma non-ref. rate. That's not so bad.
That is their standart procedure since introducing Member rates. You usually got to book IHG Member Rate thru IHG.com and compare it to OTA rates. They do not seem to care about refundable/non-refundable as long as OTA rate is lower that the lowest Member Rate on ihg.com. The problem is consistency - the will deny you for any reason or ignore your claim if their BRG people feel like that.
Old Mar 18, 17, 4:26 pm

Programs: HH, IHG, MH
Dear all, seek advice here. Booked myself superior room and suite at same date and property. Submitted BPG claims prior OTA’s lower price. Got the reply for superior room was approved, now waiting reply for suite but likely not as per T&C. Live chat & hotline agent seems can’t assist. Anyway to re-instate for suite? Really appreciate any input. TQ
Old Mar 18, 17, 4:29 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by shahr04360 View Post
Dear all, seek advice here. Booked myself superior room and suite at same date and property. Submitted BPG claims prior OTAís lower price. Got the reply for superior room was approved, now waiting reply for suite but likely not as per T&C. Live chat & hotline agent seems canít assist. Anyway to re-instate for suite? Really appreciate any input. TQ
unfortunately once a claim has been approved, even if you cancel it and resubmit for a suite on the same day (or within same 14 day period)- it won't be approved. You can have one approved claim in 14 days no exceptions. It seems IHG does not give this department much room to do anything outside of the terms and conditions.

dont cancel the one you have because you won't be getting another one lol
Old Mar 18, 17, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond
if the lowest available rate on IHG is a flex rate, then you can compare it to non-flex rates. That's in the T&C

Search this Thread
Search Engine: