Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback from January 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions

Older Thread (Prior to December 31, 2016) could be found here. The Wiki was taken from this thread.
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback from January 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2016, 5:30 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by andy1585
I've gotten this denial three times in a row now: "Please be advised that a lower room rate was found offered on the IHG website for the same room type booked based on the details found for the reservation on your claim. The Terms and Conditions require that the claim be for “a valid room booking with the lowest available price (room rate)” on the IHG website."

Basically they are saying that because nonrefundable rate is cheaper than flexible rate, it's invalid claim. Is this a new policy change? You used to be able to compare flex rate on IHG against flex on OTA, but now they seem to not even accept that if a nonrefundable rate is cheaper - something that almost always exists.

Is it even possible to do a flex rate claim anymore?
Bar v bar and flex v flex are still both valid comparisons under bpg rules. Most regulars unless staying at hotel anyway even if no bpg given, book flex rates to obtain a bpg
However flex is harder to match to an OTA as have extra hurdle of cancel period to match

Are you choosing the IHG Member rate that is discounted slightly from the BAR or FLEX rate on IHG.COM you are comparing against the. OTA. This member rate is what you have to beat with an OTA since many months ago

Yes you need to have signed up to IHG @Rewards to get this rate and also but even non-@Rewards members must beat these member rates to win the BPG free night game
Old Jan 20, 2016, 5:55 am

Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
Originally Posted by scubaccr
Bar v bar and flex v flex are still both valid comparisons under bpg rules. Most regulars unless staying at hotel anyway even if no bpg given, book flex rates to obtain a bpg
However flex is harder to match to an OTA as have extra hurdle of cancel period to match

Are you choosing the IHG Member rate that is discounted slightly from the BAR or FLEX rate on IHG.COM you are comparing against the. OTA. This member rate is what you have to beat with an OTA since many months ago

Yes you need to have signed up to IHG @Rewards to get this rate and also but even non-@Rewards members must beat these member rates to win the BPG free night game
yeah i think its the members rate that is the culprit here..
Old Jan 20, 2016, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by scubaccr
Bar v bar and flex v flex are still both valid comparisons under bpg rules.
That is no longer the case under their new interpretation of the rules: When the hotel offers a package (dinner, transport, etc) at a lower rate than the bar, or flex, they will deny your claim for bar or flex, and refer to the rules that you must book the lowest rate in order to file a BPG. Even though the package they refer to is obviously different from what the OTA offers.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 7:39 am

What do you do with OTA's call a room something that isn't offered by the hotel?

For example:
http://www.hotelscombined.com/Hotel/...al_New_Orleans

The 2 offers that are cheaper than IHG are for "Double Standard Rooms" but the only 2 bed configuration on the IHG site is a 2 bed superior room.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 1:56 pm

escalation?

Has anyone ever had success with escalation or in writing back to the denial emails? I have been denied twice for what should have been approved. I booked a 1 bed king high floor room with a non refundable first night and a no-show penalty for $459/nt. I found a another site with the same description, terms and conditions for $437 and submitted it. CSR denied based on the fact that the other site had another listing for the same room description, but refundable, for $459. I am baffled.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by andy1585
I've gotten this denial three times in a row now: "Please be advised that a lower room rate was found offered on the IHG website for the same room type booked based on the details found for the reservation on your claim. The Terms and Conditions require that the claim be for “a valid room booking with the lowest available price (room rate)” on the IHG website."

Basically they are saying that because nonrefundable rate is cheaper than flexible rate, it's invalid claim. Is this a new policy change? You used to be able to compare flex rate on IHG against flex on OTA, but now they seem to not even accept that if a nonrefundable rate is cheaper - something that almost always exists.

Is it even possible to do a flex rate claim anymore?
I booked a property in the Dallas area for a three night weekend stay at what averages to around $105/nt (there is an advance purchase/non refundable rate around $92/nt). I found another website offering rooms, no prepay, pay at hotel, cancel up until day of travel for roughly $54/nt. Booked refundable rate of $105, rejected because it was not the lowest rate offered at the property - I thought cancellation policies needed to be equal.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Unfortunately it's not the case, they always put up some prepaid rates to block the flex rates.

You can do flex rate when the prepaid rates at ihg.com is gone.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by sunshineonlieth
Has anyone ever had success with escalation or in writing back to the denial emails? I have been denied twice for what should have been approved. I booked a 1 bed king high floor room with a non refundable first night and a no-show penalty for $459/nt. I found a another site with the same description, terms and conditions for $437 and submitted it. CSR denied based on the fact that the other site had another listing for the same room description, but refundable, for $459. I am baffled.
yeah recently asked for a supervisor to review, as the original denial claimed the room on the OTA had lounge access included (which is nonsense). I thought the agent was deluded! Got a response back from another regualr agent which Supervisor attached to the email signature (lol) stating they were indeed incorrect and the claim was valid. I have had this 2/3 times overall. I would say you got a 10% chance of the decision being reversed providing you are correct!
Old Jan 21, 2016, 4:47 am

thanks. they finally did agree that I was correct and that the previous three denials were for invalid reasons, but ended up finally denying me because the total with taxes and fees was the same (averaged out), which I agree fits their T & Cs. I appreciate that IHG offers the BPG, but the claims process so incredibly maddening that I probably will not book with them again and try to submit. I was successful with three other chains with claims for this upcoming trip and will probably stick with other options in the future.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by nacho
Unfortunately it's not the case, they always put up some prepaid rates to block the flex rates.

You can do flex rate when the prepaid rates at ihg.com is gone.
They should really rename the promotion...I can't think of any scenario where paying $130 more now into a non-refundable rate bests paying $130 less at the conclusion of the stay...but I'm no wordsmith!
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by cubbynole
They should really rename the promotion...I can't think of any scenario where paying $130 more now into a non-refundable rate bests paying $130 less at the conclusion of the stay...but I'm no wordsmith!
Best available ? sounds right to me.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:26 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, United Premier Silver
Hi guys, so its within 7 days of my intended check-in date, and there is JUST flexible bookings available on IHG (no breakfast), I book a flexible fare booking on 3rd party site but it's bundled with breakfast, so that's considered a package and IHG will reject my claim even though the 3rd party offer is better? Can someone explain the logic in this?
Old Jan 21, 2016, 10:28 am

That will not work. It would only work if you would book a breakfast rate as well.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 10:43 am

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
Originally Posted by mitpat474
That's great, but don't post it publicly in here.

I still haven't got over the blogger who got the BRG phone lines canned!
Wasn't I

Last edited by RoyalFlush; Jan 21, 2016 at 11:11 am
Old Jan 21, 2016, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by RoyalFlush
I have an 85% sucess rate. I don't overuse, tho.

Just got approved for Friday, tomorrow, Jan 22 Crowne Plaza Downtown Dallas, Texas. Anyone need that night in Dallas?
That's great, but don't post it publicly in here.

I still haven't got over the blogger who got the BRG phone lines canned!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.