IC Madrid Master Thread (Archive Thread)

Old Oct 16, 2010, 9:53 am

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, Flying Blue Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Sitting in the lounge at ic Madrid now. Stayed here last week too. Both times I booked a double club room and both times were upgraded to a double jr. Suite. Last week we got a much bigger room, both the living-room, the bed-room and the bathroom was much bigger, but today we got a balcony. I like this hotel, the service is superb and very friendly staff. The only thing I don't like is that they wanted over 50 euro extra to get an extra bed for our som at 15. They said it was because of the breakfast and lounge, but he had all of this without the extra bed. They were also happy to provide him with bed-linens and a pillow, without any extra, so all in all, the extra was for the bed. Because it was only for one night he slept on the sofa.

Xxx.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 5:26 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Have a stay booked here for this weekend. First time in MAD. Availability is poor around town at the nicer places: Westin's been sold out for 3 weeks, and now even the IC shows "No Availability".
Factors I'm looking at:
1) Accessibility from Barajas Airport, arrive Friday morning, depart Sunday noon.
2) Price
3) Possible upgrades
4) walking distance to things (but from what I know the HI and IC are both in OK neighborhoods but not really near anything you'd want to walk to)

My booking is using my AMBWeekend BOGO Cert, so each night would be EUR140. Not bad but from what I've seen also not very good for this hotel. Should I 'waste' the AMB BOGO on this hotel?
I can get the HI in town for EUR52 with 2-4-1 promo, though likely no stay credit, which would be helpful in ICHG's autumn promo. Won't be in the hotel all day long, I'm guessing I'll be out and about quite a bit.
I'm PC Plat Amb, not RA, and most of the stays on this thread seem to be RA. I booked Executive Deluxe, so am guessing a Club Room upgrade with no Club Access is what I'd get here, though the "No Availability" could work in my favor if single upgrades are gone:
(in New Orleans last month I got a huge suite, like a 4-category UG, because it was overbooked with Priceline bookings!)
Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:49 pm

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, Flying Blue Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
I was there as an Plat. Amb.

The hotel is about 10-15 min. from the airport, 20 Eur. with taxi. It is close to the Salamanca district, walking-distance, but you would have to take the tube to get to the center. The tube-stop is close and it's only 3-4 stops.

Xxx.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 4:34 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Thanks for all the replies.
Arrived Friday at 9am to the hotel, and was lucky enough to be able to check in!
Was given a nice room facing the courtyard (very quiet in back, slept well!). I hadn't booked the cheapest room, I went for "Executive Deluxe", the next level up. Was upgraded (I think) to this room, though not sure if it's an upgrade, no matter as I was also given Club Lounge access! Very happy with that, especially as a lowly Platinum Ambassador.
The lounge is quite good, with an extensive breakfast spread and snacks all day. Drinks (for sure beer plus soft drinks, and wine in the evening) available most of the day from what I saw.
I took at look at the downstairs restaurant's breakfast spread, and while it's a tad bigger, it's not that different from the lounge--I'd recommend staying in the lounge, even though the agent at checkin told me I could take my breakfast at either place.
Lounge service is quite formal and full-on white tablecloth every morning. Don't wear your shorts and flip-flops!
Very happy with my stay.
Also--the trip from the airport is very easy, and quick--less than 30 minutes. Buy a 10-trip card for EUR10 (includes Airport fee), and you can use it on buses and subways.
From the airport:
Take the airport line to Nuevo Ministerios, and switch to the blue line. Go just one stop to Gregorio Maranon, get out and it's about a block and a half away.
To the Museo del Prado:
For trips to the Prado, the bus is actually much faster than the Metro: The bus about 100m from the hotel takes you directly there in about 10 minutes. This hotel is not that far away from the action, though probably not walking distance. The area, while quiet at night, is a nice neighborhood.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 1:01 pm

roll away bed

In the lounge now. I have been told that I will have to pay an extra 55 euro a night for the roll away bed for my daughter. Anyone think that this is OTT, a bit expensive?

Ta
Old Oct 23, 2010, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by adder
In the lounge now. I have been told that I will have to pay an extra 55 euro a night for the roll away bed for my daughter. Anyone think that this is OTT, a bit expensive?

Ta
I agree! That's a lot. But it's Saturday evening, probably no reservations managers around now. Are you here thru Monday?
Old Oct 24, 2010, 8:37 am

Well, we checked in at a Wednesday and a Saturday and both times they wanted us to pay 55 (?) for the extra bed. And yes, I also think 55 is too much for an extra bed.

Xxx.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 8:42 am

PS. Another way of taking the breakfast is by room-service. If you have payed for club-room, you can have continental breakfast brought to your room for no extra charge. This is ideal when you have a very early check-out. We left the hotel at 4.15 am and had no problem with getting the breakfast at 4. The only problem we had was to get the "order-form". I first asked for it at the lounge. The woman said it should be in the drawer. Nothing there. Called room-service and the woman from the lounge called me back to ask if I was sure I didn't find it. She then said to send somebody with it, but we had to ask once more to get it!

Xxx.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by kyushuman
I agree! That's a lot. But it's Saturday evening, probably no reservations managers around now. Are you here thru Monday?
Here to Tuesday, they have a big conference on but still the same just seems alot, especially when I told them that I would need an extra bed when I booked!
Old Oct 24, 2010, 5:58 pm

55 euros

I spoke to a reservation agent last week about our upcoming stay, and she told me the same thing: 55 euros for a rollaway bed for a child. Thinking about the HI. Anybody been there? Will I fare better as a Platinum?
Old Oct 24, 2010, 7:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt PL, PC Spire/RA, HH GOLD, SPG Green, Marriott Silver, Skywards B, CSA Gold, Lufthansa Paper,UA
Originally Posted by WiseFlyer
I spoke to a reservation agent last week about our upcoming stay, and she told me the same thing: 55 euros for a rollaway bed for a child. Thinking about the HI. Anybody been there? Will I fare better as a Platinum?
You will get an upgrade, but each time I was there the upgrades was very different (range:from suite to slightly beter room)
Old Apr 14, 2017, 7:19 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

This thread covers older post of the IC Madrid Master thread - after January 01, 2011

The current discussion with the most recent threads are in the above mentioned master thread. To avoid confusion, this thread will be closed.

FLYGVA
Moderator IHG Forum

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.