Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC Sydney Master Thread (Archive Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2007, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
IC Sydney Master Thread (Archive Thread)

There have been comments in the past on Sydney IC and its upgrade policy. Until the last two stays I have always had great upgrades. The last one, and the stay I am currently on, have been from base rate room to a Watson's Bay "Executive" room. By my reckoning that's one level. And I cannot distinguish between the base room and the Watson's Bay room, apart from the view of course. I am told by the front desk that even though suites were available here until yesterday when I checked, it's their option to give a suite or an executive room. If that is the case, I think I am much better off foregoing my free mini bar, which is ok as they go, and staying at the CP and saving myself $100 a night and also earning more points in the process. So I guess the upgrade for an ambassador and RA are now the same here too?

Am I being unreasonable in expecting a suite or at least habour view room if one were available say 24 hours in advance of arrival? My experience of corner suites with club access seem in the distant past now! Any views appreciated. Should I, in true RA fashion, kick up a fuss or just make sure I leave the mini bar barren!
Old Oct 1, 2007, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Check out this thread. As you can see there, it's consistently inconsistent. It seems like sometimes they upgrade to the executive suite while other times to the better view room. When I stayed there a couple of months ago I got an executive suite, but I guess it really depends. That does seem to be their official policy...
Old Oct 1, 2007, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Thanks lucky9876coins I'll plead guilty and admit I didn't do a search. I'll await my penalty from the school monitors here

I think I've had about 6 stays since the apparent change in policy but the last two times are the first without a suite or club upgrade. To call the Watson's Bay room an executive room to get around the RA policy is an abuse and can only serve to make regulars look at other options. There are lots of choices in Sydney. I'll follow it up.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 12:11 am

Wait for ShareHolder......
Old Oct 2, 2007, 1:40 am
uk1
Suspended

Might want to consider Quay Grand Suites.

http://www.mirvachotels.com.au/hotel_detail.asp?hotel=5
Old Oct 2, 2007, 2:18 am

Programs: QF QP NB, PC Plat. Amb, SPG Gold
It's interesting that many of those that appear to be guilty of squeezing the benefits of RA's are ICHG owned IC's. Sydney, San Francisco and Montreal have all been mentioned, and even Hong Kong has named their pool facing rooms as Executive Rooms now (as a step up from the slightly smaller Plaza facing rooms which are the lowest rung). Doesn't exactly set the best precedent for independently owned IC's to follow.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 4:14 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Updates?

Greetings all
I have a booking for April here.
I can stay in a suite as SPG Platinum at both the Sheraton and the Westin in Sydney plus get complimentary Exceutive Club access for less dollars per night.
Where would you stay ?It sounds that the IC is not taking care of its upper tiers consistently.I want a wow factor stay.Stay with SPG Down Under where for years they have proven that they are the long time champs? Or can IC Sydney deliver the goods?
Sheraton on the Park
Westin Sydney
or IC as a RA?
Thanks
Old Nov 1, 2007, 5:36 am

Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: HHon LT Diamond, Hyatt LT Glob, Marriott AMB (LT Gold), IHG AMB (20 years of SCC and RoyAMB dropped 2024)...Airlines: BA GGL (OW Emerald), LH FTL (*S), QF Plat (LT Gold), VA, UA Silver (*S), SQ Silver (*S)
Unfortunately, IC Sydney is getting away with their new policy. On my last stay a couple of weeks ago I was also not given a Harbour View Suite but ended up in a Harbour Bridge Room on a low floor (13). This was a one category upgrade as a RA and the second time I haven't received a suite there.

I probably wouldn't have complained if they had given me an Opera Harbour View room instead on a high floor, but the one category upgrade is not acceptable -not for an RA and not for a frequent visitor to this hotel. Their other new policy is that if you book a Harbour View Suite you will not get any upgrade at all as an RA. Doesn't make business sense to me because the hotel even told me not to book the suite because I would end up there anyway...well, that is if you actually get a suite as an upgrade now.

I understand that they have capacity problems with their suites. But then they should at least allocate their second best room, like a high floor Opera View Room to RAs or bump the person in the suite up to the next suite category (but apparently they never do this no matter what status you have). Very disappointing treatment of their best customers.
Old Nov 1, 2007, 12:08 pm

Thanks for the heads up on the poor RA treatment

I will cancel my 7 night reservation with the IC Sydney and rebook with long term proven area winners.
I also won't have to switch hotels during my stay now.
Will tour the IC property just to see it.
Would rather have the complimentary lounge access with Sheraton /Westin then a few drinks out of a mini bar.
And the Sheraton has a free computer in their Executive lounge.

Very sad as I was looking forward to the experience even though the IC is not my preferred location
The odd thing is historically the Australians are the most generous of all business cultures to do business with. I assume it’s a very bad rooms division/ revenue manager and GM who are clueless about the true loyalty effect of taking care of top tier members. And probably not Australian (off topic)

Only put up with bad business behavior if they are the only game in town.
In Sydney there are many fine excellent choices.
It has always been a Starwood world Down Under in my eyes. For over ten years I have never missed all or part of my stay with their properties.
In return they have created some of the best hotel stays of my lifetime
IC loses the chance for my referrrals and the ability to create a lifetime relationship.
FYI I saw that folks on Priceline were getting the same rooms as evidently Royal Ambassadors are.
Absolutely shameful

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Nov 1, 2007 at 7:46 pm
Old Nov 1, 2007, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
I will cancel my 7 night reservation with the IC Sydney and rebook with long term proven area winners.

Ditto. Although I didn't cancel a reservation I have made my next one for 3 nights later this month at the Crowne Plaza Darling Harbour rather than the IC. My last 8 stays in Sydney were at the IC. So there is another one they have lost. If I don't like the CP I'll move outside the Group. Pity, but the hotel scene in Sydney is very competitive in quality if not price!
Old Nov 1, 2007, 7:45 pm

Interesting to note that the Crowne Plaza scored a bit higher on Trip Advisor then the IC.
Though both scored well on overall guest approval many of whom I assume are not elite nor loyal to the IHG group of hotels.So the expectations would be different.
The Crowne Plaza also seems to probably be somewhat near to the 4 Points by Sheraton based on the very nice pictures I saw of the property. Though that is a wild guess having never been to the property before.
The IC doesn't look all that much better except for the Opera House Views and public areas. Having stayed for years also at the Park Hyatt I don't need my room or my hotel in front of the Opera House. I am happy to go see it.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 3:32 pm
obs

Programs: BA executive club,priority club Plat Ambassador, Hilton hhonours Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I stayed at the IC Sydney for 5 nights in August this year. I booked and executive suite, and on arrival negotiated lounge access for the 4 of us at $60 per night. I got my money out of it. The lounge was really nice, breakfast very good, and fantastic views. They serve free alcohilic drinks and canapes from 1730 to 1930. There are 2 PC's avaialable, and free wifi if you have a laptop. Three weeks later I stayed at the Radisson plaza. I had a great room there. The lounge offering was good, but nowhere near as good as the IC. I think for me I would go back.
Old Nov 3, 2007, 9:39 am

Programs: Qantas, Hilton, IHG
Sorry to say that the rooms at Crowne Plaza Darling Harbour are not in the same league as the IC - not even close IMHO. The CP's club is not too bad however.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by turtlemichael
Ditto. Although I didn't cancel a reservation I have made my next one for 3 nights later this month at the Crowne Plaza Darling Harbour rather than the IC. My last 8 stays in Sydney were at the IC. So there is another one they have lost. If I don't like the CP I'll move outside the Group. Pity, but the hotel scene in Sydney is very competitive in quality if not price!
How was the stay at the Crowne Plaza?
Trip advisor had a number of unhappy guests at the IC Sydney

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Dec 5, 2007 at 8:46 pm
Old Dec 5, 2007, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
I assume it’s a very bad rooms division/ revenue manager and GM who are clueless about the true loyalty effect of taking care of top tier members.
The real problem IMHO is that Sydney is quite desirable location and must be RA heavy. There should be a way to distinguish between real RA's (read qualified ones) and referred ones.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.