FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   New (stupid) standard offer at IC club lounge around the world (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/1828375-new-stupid-standard-offer-ic-club-lounge-around-world.html)

nicolas75 Mar 9, 2017 12:05 pm

New (stupid) standard offer at IC club lounge around the world

I had a chat with (the great) Guests Relations Manager at IC Berlin.

She said that this new policy is imposed by IHG to have standard offer around the world, with breakfast - tea time and so called pre-dining canapés.

Completely stupid changes defined by Marketing people who obviously don't understand what traveling means.

cazane Mar 9, 2017 1:08 pm

I wonder whether the club room or upsale rates will go down? A paying guest returning after one year to Berlin IC may be feel really ripped off.
Cannot imagine high class ICs like Osaka will follow that policy.

Raynyan Mar 9, 2017 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by nicolas75 (Post 28014784)

She said that this new policy is imposed by IHG to have standard offer around the world, with breakfast - tea time and so called pre-dining canapés.

Completely stupid changes defined by Marketing people who obviously don't understand what traveling means.

New policy is already adopted in AMEA region.

1.) Basically food and beverage must be provided by "to order" style. Buffet or self service will be shrinking.

2.) Breakfast main menu must be provided from "a la Carte" menu. Buffet is cold cuts, cheese, fruits and salad only.

3.) Tea time offer must be English afternoon tea style.

4.) Cocktail time food offering must be provide both warm and cold canapés. Warm canapé must not be provided by buffet style.

htb Mar 9, 2017 2:00 pm

I wonder if the intention is to improve the quality of the food items (order made), or to prevent people from filling up in the lounge and foregoing dinner in the restaurant.

One of the reasons why I liked lounge access was because you could substitute dinner by visiting the lounge.

HTB.

cazane Mar 9, 2017 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Raynyan (Post 28015312)
New policy is already adopted in AMEA region.

1.) Basically food and beverage must be provided by "to order" style. Buffet or self service will be shrinking.

2.) Breakfast main menu must be provided from "a la Carte" menu. Buffet is cold cuts, cheese, fruits and salad only.

3.) Tea time offer must be English afternoon tea style.

4.) Cocktail time food offering must be provide both warm and cold canapés. Warm canapé must not be provided by buffet style.

That sounds better as it is. Shrinking down buffets can make a lounge much more calm and relaxing. Just by reading that list, I would like the new policy, but I am one of that people who think buffets are evil.

FlyerTalker688786 Mar 9, 2017 2:37 pm

I am not paying. Club Intercontinental can be proud that I will not be visiting. I don't drink alcoholic drinks any way. Reducing food will reduce the perceived value to me. Bye bye Club InterContinental.

ninjalad Mar 9, 2017 2:46 pm

In Berlin the lounge was often full with people stuffing themselves with food and drink. It seemed that many booked club rooms to save on buying food outside, making it a bargain.
When I was there the staff seemed truly proud of the new upmarket offering. As I book the club floor because I like certain suites there I found it nicer not having people pushing to get to food and drinks. Having better quality drinks offered is also a plus.
I suspect that it may put some people off of booking club floors but may attract others. I can appreciate that it might be worse for RA's travelling for business

IAN-UK Mar 9, 2017 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by ninjalad (Post 28015608)
In Berlin the lounge was often full with people stuffing themselves with food and drink.

.. I'm guessing that means anyone eating or drinking more than you do :)

... many booked club rooms to save on buying food outside, making it a bargain.

Hardly a bargain! The offer is nice enough, but comfort food rather than fine dining.

And as the hotel upsells Club on the food and drink offer, it's hardly surprising people take them up on it.

... I found it nicer not having people pushing to get to food and drinks.

Countless stays, always given club access, but never experienced this.

355F1 Mar 9, 2017 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by htb (Post 28015371)
I wonder if the intention is to improve the quality of the food items (order made), or to prevent people from filling up in the lounge and foregoing dinner in the restaurant.

One of the reasons why I liked lounge access was because you could substitute dinner by visiting the lounge.

HTB.

ESPECIALLY in expensive cities like Paris. The Paris Le Grand IC's Club is the bomb!

Dave Noble Mar 9, 2017 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by nicolas75 (Post 28014784)

I don't see what makes this a stupid change?

Having consistent offerings makes sense ; people will not book an IC club room based on expectations from location A and then be disappointed at location B

From other descriptions in post 3 , removal of buffet and having a waiter/waitress service seems a good thing to me

PremExecSNA Mar 9, 2017 10:38 pm

They already do this at a number of clubs like IC Sydney. It's all about portion control. While its not firmly stated, the implication is, you get one round of canapés, and whatever cold item are placed in the buffet. They will clearly save money on the folks who come in and have 5 plates full of food as a substitute for dinner (which, at times includes me). I guess that means we'll just have to be a bit more assertive and ask for seconds if we wish.

kauppias Mar 9, 2017 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 28016835)

Having consistent offerings makes sense ; people will not book an IC club room based on expectations from location A and then be disappointed at location B

From other descriptions in post 3 , removal of buffet and having a waiter/waitress service seems a good thing to me

Unless they are now consistently dissappointed :D

Time will show if these are indeed positive changes or a flop, I will return to the MIA IC later on so I can compare.

Personally does not affect me as I dont frequent ICs even as a ambassador these days. Nothing to do with the lounge situation though :)

nicolas75 Mar 10, 2017 12:05 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 28016835)

Stupid because if you check-in around 12:00 you cannot have anymore a light meal at the club.

Stupid because if you are jet lagged and cannot have breakfast, you cannot have a substitute at the lounge.

Stupid because if you want to have just a diet/light dinner in a quiet atmosphere after having a long working day, rather than going to the restaurant, you cannot anymore.

Stupid because where most hotels now try to go against standardisation and empower local teams, IHG just does the exact opposite.

cazane Mar 10, 2017 1:12 am

Originally Posted by nicolas75 (Post 28017146)
Stupid because if you check-in around 12:00 you cannot have anymore a light meal at the club.

Stupid because if you are jet lagged and cannot have breakfast, you cannot have a substitute at the lounge.

Stupid because if you want to have just a diet/light dinner in a quiet atmosphere after having a long working day, rather than going to the restaurant, you cannot anymore.

Stupid because where most hotels now try to go against standardisation and empower local teams, IHG just does the exact opposite.

+1
That's exactly what I feel, too, about the changes.

FlyerTalker688786 Mar 10, 2017 2:08 am

Originally Posted by nicolas75 (Post 28017146)

Exactly!

And the other stupid thing is by removing buffet now they have to increase man power to take orders and deliver orders. If the Club is full I don't see how all European IC clubs can manage with two permanently sitting in the check-in counter and one or two waiters running madly between kitchen and Club to refresh drinks and food.

And the stupid thing for me is since I don't drink all those expensive drinks, why I have to pay such a fee with less food?