Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Big Problem. My HIX-Honolulu Waikiki reservation. It's under construction!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Big Problem. My HIX-Honolulu Waikiki reservation. It's under construction!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2017, 6:09 am

IHG changed the website after OP posted this. When you search on google for "HIX Honolulu Waikiki", this flyertalk thread is listed 1st, so IHG knows about this. When OP posted it, I did a search just to see the property and the location, and it did have HIX all over the web page.

When you do a google search of "ihg Honolulu Waikiki", the 3rd link is "Holiday Inn Express Honolulu-Waikiki Hotel by IHG" https://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpres...ka/hoteldetail Clicking on the link has a header of "Holiday Inn Express Honolulu-Waikiki Hotel by IHG", but hotel is called "Independent (SPHC) Honolulu-Waikiki". Right there is proof that they just changed it.

Also, if a HIX claimed they had breakfast, but didn't, I would want $10 per person deducted from the bill. And if a hotel had a resort fee, but didn't have the pool, fitness center, etc available, I would also have the fee deducted.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by mtbiker99
IHG changed the website after OP posted this. When you search on google for "HIX Honolulu Waikiki", this flyertalk thread is listed 1st, so IHG knows about this. When OP posted it, I did a search just to see the property and the location, and it did have HIX all over the web page.

When you do a google search of "ihg Honolulu Waikiki", the 3rd link is "Holiday Inn Express Honolulu-Waikiki Hotel by IHG" https://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpres...ka/hoteldetail Clicking on the link has a header of "Holiday Inn Express Honolulu-Waikiki Hotel by IHG", but hotel is called "Independent (SPHC) Honolulu-Waikiki". Right there is proof that they just changed it.
I don't think IHG changed the site. It appears identical to me when I searched a few wks ago.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Troopers
I don't think IHG changed the site. It appears identical to me when I searched a few wks ago.
Google's web cache has the page from Jan 20. In a quick visual comparison with today's page I see no difference.

https://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpres...ka/hoteldetail

Both versions show the HIX logo at the top.

But that is the page I find by searching "IHG Waikiki" in Google. The second search result is the HIX Honolulu Waikiki. If you actually search for Waikiki on IHG, you find a different page for the hotel, with the Maile Sky Court "logo"

https://www.ihg.com/spnd/hotels/us/e...ka/hoteldetail
Attached Images  
Old Jan 25, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
When you search on the IHG app, the hotel doesn't show up with an HIX logo as usual; it just has a generic "IHG" logo. That's how I knew something was up.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 5:22 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Gold, Velocity Gold, Accor Gold
I checked and I made my reservation on Dec 22 and email referred to hotel as HIX. However I can recall checking my account prior to 10 Jan and it was listed as Maile Sky.

BTW they are not charging for breakfast. All hotels in HNL have that BS resort fee, $20 at this property, and it is currently being waived.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
Originally Posted by Toula
Here's an alternative fact, hotel does Holiday Inn Express signage on front and side of the building. I do have photos but no idea how to upload them.

I'm not attacking the OP all I am doing is presenting the facts as they have happened to me. It's not that I'm a Holiday Inn Express type of person, it.'s not a brand I would normally even consider. However as I made my booking at short notice I was left with very litttle option. However even 2 weeks ago Hyatt Centric was showing at $270 a night so anyone would have to consider that the price of this HIX indicated it was not palatial by any means and no amount of renovation will make it so.

rest assured I saw plenty of people randomly sticking their hand into the hole to use the elevators this morning and no sign of damage or injury to any of them. Not a drop of sawdust insight.
Hello Toula. Never took your post as an attack. :-)
One last visit to this thread from the OP and I'll let it slide off into the sunset...

Regarding the Holiday Inn Express sign on the hotel...take a close look at it. You'll see lots of duct tape. All that tape held two tarps that covered the sign, but was torn off in the 60 MPH winds during my second day at the hotel. Regardless, It's not the sign that's pictured on the IHG website, which is entirely CGI anyway.

In defense of the staff at the property in question, they're quite good. IHG totally threw them under the bus. Zero support.

In opposition to the property in question, it's got no business being a HIX. The whole premise of HIX is consistency...you know what you're getting. The rooms are too tiny and there's no way to make them bigger. The AC unit is three feet from your head when you're lying in bed. Actually, everything in your room is no more than three feet from you. Maybe the Indigo brand can do something with this property, but HIX just isn't going to fly.

I guess the entire point of this thread, once we get past the initial venting and flailing about by me, is What is the best way to go about poking IHG in the chest and say "this isn't right"? Calling the Ambassador line again? Email?(to who?). A posted letter? (Again, to who?).
Old Jan 26, 2017, 8:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by htb
Just to recap the general tone:

Reserved: a room in a newly renovated hotel with breakfast and pool.

Received: a room in a construction site without breakfast nor pool.

Reaction: No reason to complain, you get what you pay for.

Am I the only one who feels this is is a bit weird? I'd certainly ask for my entire money back and to be walked to an actual hotel.

HTB.
Id be totally POed. And agree the OP and anyone else who isnt happy about not being warned what to expect ahead of time should be made whole and then some.

Now if I needed a place for 1 night and didnt care what was what and everything else in town was $100s more thats 1 thing, but Id hate to be on a vacation or even working and end up in this place as the OP has. Its 1 thing if it was a Motel6 that was up and running completely its another when its a HIX and you expect a certain level of service only to get a construction site. Now had it been laid out truthfully when booking or in an email what the condition of the hotel would be in and I still kept my res then Id say shame on me, but w/o prior notice by IHG or the hotel shame on them

With the size of the rooms and especially with a $20 a day resort fee (what kind of resort is this place???) I highly doubt I'll ever be stepping inside it. This is the main problem when a no brand gets branded they still remain with the 2* size rooms put in nicer furnishings and drive the rate thru the roof
Old Jan 27, 2017, 2:55 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by airmotive

In opposition to the property in question, it's got no business being a HIX. The whole premise of HIX is consistency...you know what you're getting. The rooms are too tiny and there's no way to make them bigger. The AC unit is three feet from your head when you're lying in bed. Actually, everything in your room is no more than three feet from you. Maybe the Indigo brand can do something with this property, but HIX just isn't going to fly.
Room size consistency is not a feature of the HIX brand, just a feature of your prior experiences. Feel free to point me to a statement from IHG saying otherwise! In fact in my experience HIX does mean small rooms, such as those experienced in many of the Asian HIX locales.

Simple and smart are the tag lines for the brand, room to swing a cat is not one.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 6:56 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by markis10
Room size consistency is not a feature of the HIX brand, just a feature of your prior experiences. Feel free to point me to a statement from IHG saying otherwise! In fact in my experience HIX does mean small rooms, such as those experienced in many of the Asian HIX locales.

Simple and smart are the tag lines for the brand, room to swing a cat is not one.
+1

I often stay at the HIX Hong Kong Soho. Those rooms are very small and I would think smaller than the rooms at this hotel.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 2:23 pm
NGO

HIX Honolulu Waikiki misleading targted guests

I am new to FlyerTalk. I am wondering if anyone can help clarify my underingabout my situation. I booked a HIX hotel on the IHG globle website and foundout the non-IHG website has a lower price for the exact same room I booked forcoming August (1 night). All T&C are matched (like room type, total price,room view, no deposit...)

I submited the BPG form and they rejected with the reason that HIX HonoluluWaikiki is an independent SHPC so no BPG. I don't understand. I booked the roomon their website and the photo galaries show the hotel with HIX signs. I alsotried to book using my friend's company corporate code and the reservationshowed a rate as discounted enterprise GOLD status. I did send them thepictures of their building with HIX signs all over. Do you think I shouldcontinue to fight with them or should I accept their verification result.

Here is what I responded to them:

As stated on clause 1 of the Terms and Conditions, guestmust “complete a valid room booking with the lowest available price (room rate)on any IHG website for any IHGbranded hotel using the “Best Available Rate Search.” There is no whereon the IHG Best Price Guarantee Terms and Conditions indicates the hotel mustNOT be an “independent hotel”. If Maile Sky Court Honolulu-Waikiki is “outsidethe scope of the Guarantee”, should IHG discloses such exception on its “BestPrice Guarantee Terms and Conditions” web link just like how they did forKimpton Hotels and other hotels in Mainland China, Macau, Hong Kong and Taiwan.

In fairness to IHG targeted guests, the current Holidays Inn Express logoand signs display on the existing building (formally known as Maile Sky Court)clearly indicated it had repositioned Maile Sky Court into Holidays Inn Express(which is IHG branded hotel) and therefore it is expected to deliver on IHGbrand promise and standards. Moreover, the advertised photo galleries of therepositioned Maile Sky Court into one of IHG branded hotels (i.e., Holidays InnExpress), which is clearly listed “at the top portion of the booking page”.

Please also allow me to invite you to check out the following link whereyour IHG spokesperson stated (under the section where it said “I dropped anemail to IHG and received the following statement from the spokesperson”) while“this re-branding process is underway, some hotels will temporarily show asunbranded on IHG’s booking platforms” and that it is “Not the guest’s faultthat the hotel conversion to Holiday Inn Express plan hadn’t planned out asexpected” as outline under the conclusion paragraph.

http://loyaltylobby.com/2017/01/30/reader-question-unaffiliated-hotel-on-ihg-com-rate-search/

Given the information above, please kindly re-verify myclaim for your “Guarantee” program.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 6:36 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Is there a normal thread for the Holiday Inn Express Waikiki?

Im looking to book one night using the chase anniversary award night. But want to know if there are resort fees if booked on a award night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.