IHG hotels close to European borders

Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
IHG hotels close to European borders

Can anyone think of locations in Europe where 2 IHG hotels are close to each other, but in different countries? E.g. Vienna & Bratislava or Lille & Brussels.

I was originally gong to pass on my Accelerate offer due to needing stays in 4 different countries. Now I'm thinking it might be worth a try, if I can get 2 countries in a single trip.

Thanks.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
3 Countries: Maastricht Netherlands, Leige Belgium, Cologne Germany. Maastricht and Leige IHG are 35 Km away. Cologne has several IHG properties at 115Km further.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: Various
There's also Holiday Inn in Mulhouse, France near Holiday Inn Express in Freiburg, Germany. Both are near Basel/Mulhouse Airport. There's probably 50 km or so between them but should be doable.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
In Geneva by the airport. Someone will fill in the names. But like so many, every single time I pull out of that airport Avis rental, I end up in France anyway.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:56 am

Programs: *A Gold, IHG Rewards Diamond Amb, Radisson Gold
Usually you can have up to 24h layover for the same price.
For example fly with Iberia to Portugal and stay for one night in Madrid, same with Air Berlin.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by BA-Flyer
Can anyone think of locations in Europe where 2 IHG hotels are close to each other, but in different countries? E.g. Vienna & Bratislava or Lille & Brussels.

I was originally gong to pass on my Accelerate offer due to needing stays in 4 different countries. Now I'm thinking it might be worth a try, if I can get 2 countries in a single trip.

Thanks.
Work takes me to Berlin and Warsaw. Both interesting places, and both have (often) good value and very nice IC hotels as well as much cheaper HI/HIX offers (Berlin seems packed with IHG properties, Warsaw has a HIX at the airport).

Avios on AB between the cities is an excellent, and very cheap, option.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 1:56 am

Several IHG properties in/around MUC, then hop on the train / drive down the A8 to SZG, there you'll find HI Salzburg City and CP Salzburg - The Pitter...
Old Jan 9, 2017, 3:59 am

Programs: OWS IHG Diamond + Accor Plat, Scandic Top Level
Just to add the Hasselt, Belgium and Maastricht Holland option at 35Km
Old Jan 9, 2017, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Thumper
In Geneva by the airport. Someone will fill in the names. But like so many, every single time I pull out of that airport Avis rental, I end up in France anyway.
I think the one over the border in France (Thoiry, I believe) had been pulled from the IHG portfolio, more's the pity. There are 3 properties in Geneva itself: the famous Intercontinental, Crowne Plaza near the airport, and HIX right by the airport.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Not as close by as the others here, but perhaps more fun, would be the CP Toulouse, the HI Andorra, and the Indigo or CP Barcelona.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Rotterdam and Antwerp central stations are only 40mins apart by Thalys train, the Rotterdam HIE is 10min walk, for Antwep tram/metro/taxi from station to either CP or HIE. all 3x hotels relatively inexpensive for Europe.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Unless you're trying to spend Avios, I would consider flying on a European airline with a 24-hour connection and pick up a country that way. You could probably even fly out on AF and back on KLM and stay near CDG and AMS. Same probably applies to a combined LH/LX.

But is your Accelerate really worth it? Sometimes it's better to just skip one or two quarters completely so that your targets become easier.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks for the suggestions - plenty to think about!

My exisitng UK bookings will take me most of the way to meeting my targets. If I also get the globetrotter target, that unlocks 26,400 points + 23,000 achievement bonus. Origianlly I was going to leave it, because I've already got 2 foreign trips planned but didn't see the point of 2 international mattress runs. Now I'm considdering it

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.