Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

IC Johanesburg O.r.tambo Airport vs IC Sandton - experiences and opinions appreciated

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC Johanesburg O.r.tambo Airport vs IC Sandton - experiences and opinions appreciated

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2017, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Evening all.

Just planing a trip to SA .... wedding for daughter No.3 out in Kruger but I know zero of JNB regards the two IC's there.

Would very much appreciate information and comparisons to choose the best one.

e.g

- Facilities ... pools etc
- Which is newest
- Best club lounge & why
- Best service
- Costs
- Restaurants etc
- How does each treat RA's
- Can you use points there and still get RA status & perks
- Best overall experience

.... and basically anything else useful to know....the significant to the details it all very useful in the planning. Obviously not being a work start and something of a one off, I want to milk it to the max.

We have to stuff a few of our lot in there a day or two before flying up country.

Any data of any sort very much welcomed
Old Jan 8, 2017, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
It's been a while since I've been to SA, but I can say that both hotels are excellent and give great RA treatment. I don't recall if there is a club at the airport hotel, but they placed a nice decanter of port in my room to go with the mini-bar. Great service in the Sandton Club. Sorry I've only done paid stays so I don't know about award treatment.

But it is mainly a location question. If you need to be at the airport, choose the airport IC. In town, and if you want to sample the local mall and restaurants, choose the Sandton IC.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
The Gautrain makes the IC Sandton pretty convenient for the airport being only one block from the station in Sandton and with a free shuttle.

There are many airport hotels in the UK and US especially which are further away from the terminal than the IC Sandton is from JNB. I haven't stayed at the airport IC but have done the Sandton one and thought it was superb with excellent RA recognition. You obviously have more choice of dining etc. at Sandton too.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 7:18 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
I have only stayed at the airport IC but it was the nicest airport hotel I have ever stayed in, hands down. Exquisite. You wouldn't know it was an airport hotel given the rooms, facilities, and service.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 8:08 am

I was staying in both.
The airport hotel is only a 2 min walk from the exit, closer than he rental car counters. Very convenient when you just need a place to sleep. The have no lounge and as an RA I got a non-noticable upgrade. The room looked like a normal room. There is really nothing around (except the airport of course). We arrived late at night and rented a car next morning to drive to Kruger. Ideal for something like this.

The one in town has a club lounge and upgraded to club from the cheapest room. It is a prety nice hotel directly connected to the huge shopping mall at Nelson Mandela square (bridge at the 10th(?) floor.he club lounge has a weird layout, offerings are ok and service is very friendly.
They pick you up from the Gautrain station, just call when your train departs. It will take you around 45 min from Airport to room. Very convenient, because traffic can be bad.

There are some restaurants in the Mall, also a huge supermarket and all the usual shops. Much better place to spend some time.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:59 pm

Programs: *G at A3,TK;M&M,LM; IHG RA, AB Plat.
Originally Posted by stimpy
Sorry I've only done paid stays so I don't know about award treatment.
IC JNB OR Tambo, award stay: I have been upgraded to an Executive Room (bigger room with a decanter of port wine). I was only AMB when I stayed there.
They have no lounge but a nice bar.

Thx @ all for the information. In some weeks I will be there again and have to make the same decission (have not been to IC Sandton before).
Old Jan 10, 2017, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

It's been a while since I've been to SA, but I can say that both hotels are excellent and give great RA treatment. I don't recall if there is a club at the airport hotel, but they placed a nice decanter of port in my room to go with the mini-bar. Great service in the Sandton Club. Sorry I've only done paid stays so I don't know about award treatment.

But it is mainly a location question. If you need to be at the airport, choose the airport IC. In town, and if you want to sample the local mall and restaurants, choose the Sandton IC.
Good to know Stimpy...many thanks for that. No they won't be award nights just nights paid for by soft touch here. Cheers
Old Jan 10, 2017, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
The Gautrain makes the IC Sandton pretty convenient for the airport being only one block from the station in Sandton and with a free shuttle.

There are many airport hotels in the UK and US especially which are further away from the terminal than the IC Sandton is from JNB. I haven't stayed at the airport IC but have done the Sandton one and thought it was superb with excellent RA recognition. You obviously have more choice of dining etc. at Sandton too.
Many thanks Land-of miles. Prox to airport is not so vital. It's just a couple of days with family before moving to Kruger for a couple of nights then down to CPT for a wedding. So it's more a case of who spoils best and which is the nicer experience. Sounds good to me.... thanks for taking the time
Old Jan 10, 2017, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Unterwegs
I was staying in both.
The airport hotel is only a 2 min walk from the exit, closer than he rental car counters. Very convenient when you just need a place to sleep. The have no lounge and as an RA I got a non-noticable upgrade. The room looked like a normal room. There is really nothing around (except the airport of course). We arrived late at night and rented a car next morning to drive to Kruger. Ideal for something like this.

The one in town has a club lounge and upgraded to club from the cheapest room. It is a prety nice hotel directly connected to the huge shopping mall at Nelson Mandela square (bridge at the 10th(?) floor.he club lounge has a weird layout, offerings are ok and service is very friendly.
They pick you up from the Gautrain station, just call when your train departs. It will take you around 45 min from Airport to room. Very convenient, because traffic can be bad.

There are some restaurants in the Mall, also a huge supermarket and all the usual shops. Much better place to spend some time.
Many thanks for your analysis Unterwings. You always have a critical eye for these things....I remember your assessment of stay at IC Danang. Think I am leaning to Sandton although both sound good for sure.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JNelson113
I have only stayed at the airport IC but it was the nicest airport hotel I have ever stayed in, hands down. Exquisite. You wouldn't know it was an airport hotel given the rooms, facilities, and service.
Gotta say this was a stay I had limited expectations of for reasons unknown. Seems we are going to have good options. Thanks for the feedback jnelson113. Appreciated
Old Jan 10, 2017, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Stimpy, just thinking on and cross ref to another thread somewhere....seems strange that IC don't have a property in Cape Town. Know they used to have. Have to say this is one of those cities where the footprint seems a little weak.

You aware of any decent IHG properties there? Otherwise I think it's the O&O for us at CPT later
Sisyphus1carus likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Atacama40
Stimpy, just thinking on and cross ref to another thread somewhere....seems strange that IC don't have a property in Cape Town. Know they used to have. Have to say this is one of those cities where the footprint seems a little weak.

You aware of any decent IHG properties there? Otherwise I think it's the O&O for us at CPT later
I used to stay at Starwood in that area, but the old Sheraton Western Cape near Hermanus is private now. Still a very nice property. I also like the Lord Charles near Somerset.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I've stayed at both IC's, but would only do the airport one for a day or two. Now with the train, the Sandton one is much better. Lots more to do around there.

I absolutely hated the local taxis and airport transport. Glad the train opened, and I think Uber is there.

I don't recall an IC in CPT. There wasn't any IHG presence the first time I went in 2006, and then one HIX opened 2-3 years later.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I've stayed at both IC's, but would only do the airport one for a day or two. Now with the train, the Sandton one is much better. Lots more to do around there.

I absolutely hated the local taxis and airport transport. Glad the train opened, and I think Uber is there.

I don't recall an IC in CPT. There wasn't any IHG presence the first time I went in 2006, and then one HIX opened 2-3 years later.
I stayed in the HIX in CPT. It is perfectly ok, clean, friendly, reasonable breakfast but of course not a luxury hotel. Location is ok (in town), a few nice restaurants within a block or two. But then there are no ICs in a lot of places where other chains have luxury properties.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
I stayed in the HIX in CPT. It is perfectly ok, clean, friendly, reasonable breakfast but of course not a luxury hotel. Location is ok (in town), a few nice restaurants within a block or two. But then there are no ICs in a lot of places where other chains have luxury properties.
The OP stated that there used to be an IC in CPT. I certainly am not aware of one in the last decade.

I stayed at the HIX on PB, soon after it opened. It was ok, but certainly wouldn't be my first choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.