Please post your Ambassador experiences 2017

Old Aug 3, 2017, 3:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Gold, IHG Ambassador
IC Berlin

IC Berlin

Gold Ambassador

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked cheapest your rate Superior room with breakfast. Received Junior Suite on the West wing. They had 10th floor one reserved but it was not ready and they asked if I wanted to wait or if I would take 5th floor room that was ready. Took the 5th floor one.

How are the rooms?
Ok. It does feel bit of an afterthought though as they are basically two separate rooms that were made to be one. In my case it did only have one bathroom though (with both rain shower and tub) and no separate door to hallway which made it bit better. I am fan of more open designs though.

How is the exec. lounge?
No access.

What was good and what was bad?
Good:
Double category upgrade?
Drink voucher that was good for any drink! Used it for some cocktails.
Smalltalk with frontdesk supervisor who personally welcomed me back.
Choice to wait or get another room.

Bad:
Nothing really, well, parking is bit on expensive side.
There was one weird thing though which is that points balance was openly displayed at keycard holder.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?
Yes. I did already after all
Old Aug 3, 2017, 3:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Gold, IHG Ambassador
IC Warsaw

IC Warsaw

Gold Ambassador

Cheapest your rate Standard room. Received Executive Corner room. Looks same as the sample room at their site.

How are the rooms?
Very nice! It also had a bathroom with view. If only the windows would go bit lower so you could enjoy the view from the bed and it would be almost perfect.

How is the exec. lounge?
No access.

Good:
Everything was good. Welcome amenity was usual fruits, water and also a bottle of red wine that we did not drink though.

Bad:
Parking is on the expensive side but so it is with these central locations.

Yes, I did.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 10:02 pm

IC Chicago

Spire Ambassador

1 King executive tower, upgraded pre-arrival to Grand Suite (which as the front desk person says is a "junior suite" in the "Grand tower"). $20 upgrade but still worth it.

Walked up to the ambassador desk, and if you've been there, you know there's a pole obscuring the seats. I asked the concierge desk if ambassador check in was open and I was met with "NO! (point) You can check in at the regular line." Nice perk and welcome. 30 minutes later check in was 15 deep with ambassador still closed.

How are the rooms?
Spent many nights in this category so won't review it again. It's a one bedroom suite without a door between the two. Room had a "smell" as it had on previous stays. Air filter on the ceiling was filthy and disgusting. Gross throw pillows had tons of long strand hair and is conducive to such collection, including pillows placed on the bed.

Evian replaced free of charge in the mini bar per ambassador letter. Only 10 oz bottles though.

This hotel keeps getting cheaper and cheaper and ambassador gift is a joke. In the app, I selected "sweet" amenity. Well, I returned to the room to find 2 cents worth of snack mix in a jar. Not sweet. No note. No napkin. Just a sad jar. This is what they serve in a packet on Southwest or in an airport lounge. Sad.

They've discontinued newspaper delivery. Last year I didn't even have to ask. At check in I asked for my newspaper delivery and was told they stopped it. I asked if I could pick one up at the bell desk since they had carried them. No. So she put a note to have one delivered.

No newspaper the next morning. Can easily slide under the door, so I doubt it was stolen.

Went to the concierge and said my promised newspaper never came. Instead of rectifying this I was told I could "download an app or buy one in the gift shop." Classy. I waited 7 minutes in the adjacent Starbuks and it was so understaffed I walked out (not the hotel's fault but horrendous staffing).

I was promised I would get a newspaper the next morning.

Guess what? No newspaper.

I finally got the welcome text (28 hours after check in) and replied. Only then did I get a newspaper.

How is the exec. lounge?
N/A

If you can get a deluxe sub $200 and get upgraded to a suite, go for it. Otherwise, this hotel year-over-year is getting cheaper and cheaper. I've spent 16 paid nights the past 2 years here over 3 stays.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold, IHG - Spire Ambassador
IC O2

IC 02

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive? We booked the cheapest entry level and received a double upgrade to King Deluxe Riverview

How are the rooms? Looking grubby compared to our stay last year. There was a large stain on the carpet in the centre of the floor, the valance was stained, there was a €1 coin under the armchair and an open can of Coke in the minibar. The mattress was divine and the room was hot even with the aircon.

How is the exec. lounge? NA

What was good and what was bad? There was a generous fruit platter, a box of macaroons, two bottles of water and a welcome letter in the room when we arrived. We were given two more bottles of water at turndown. There was a teddy wearing an IC T shirt for my son. Bosch coffee machine with assorted capsules and milk. Kettle with a mini tin of loose tea and a selection of different tea bags. Breakfast was a fab spread - I ordered eggs Benedict and these were served on crumpets, which was unusual. We used the pool from 3.30 to 5pm which was afternoon kiddie time. To begin with there was only one other family present which was great. There is also a kiddie time morning session between 9 and 10.30am. I was there with both my kids so requested a rollaway bed. A proper bed with substantial mattress was delivered. I would have been happy to sleep on it myself. There were only two bathrobes and two pairs of slippers and the third set of towels on the extra bed came with a set of Agraria amenities whilst those in the bathroom were Anne Semonin. There is no ice machine so I wandered down to the bar with our ice bucket. The staff are really friendly and helpful.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return? We paid Ł156 including breakfast for three. We spent 26 hours at the hotel which I thought was good value.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:41 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold, IHG - Spire Ambassador
IC Dublin

IC Dublin

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive? We booked the cheapest entry level room, which was upgraded by one category on the day of booking. The morning of our stay we checked again and saw we had received a 4 category upgrade to an executive suite.

How are the rooms? Gorgeous, newly refurbished. The room was the size of two standard rooms and elegantly furnished. One half was the sitting room and bathroom, the other half was the bedroom and dressing room. My children slept on a sofabed in the sitting room. Nespresso machine plus kettle. Bathroom was great, lav was in a separate room, separate rainforest shower cubicle. L'Occitane amenities. Only two robes and pairs of slippers for three guests.

How is the exec. lounge? NA

What was good and what was bad? Generous fruit platter, water and welcome gift of biscuits/nuts, soda and large bowl of popcorn. The second morning we also received fruit, water, more soda and more popcorn. I suspect this was because we made two separate bookings, one cash and the other points. Good choice of coffee capsules and tea bags plus real milk. The pool was quiet, when we went down we were the only family. Transport from the airport is great, the 702 Aircoach stops outside the hotel. Cost is €7 for grown ups and €2.50 for children. Breakfast was a good spread but some of the staff didn't have a clue. I had to ask for a bowl as they had run out. I asked for ketchup for my son's sausages, but it never arrived, the coffee machine was not working and coffee orders from the kitchen took a long time. That was our only grumble. Hotel is 10 minutes walk from the beach. We ate lunch in the hotel on the third day and the portion sizes were huge.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return? We paid Ł186 for the first night and used points for the second two as the cash rate was expensive. This seemed good value as the rack rate for the room was €2400!
Old Sep 1, 2017, 3:09 pm

IC Dallas

Platinum Ambassador

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?

Yes

Standard Room, pre-upgraded to Club King soon after making the reservation, then pre-upgraded to 1 Bedroom Executive Suite 24 hours later.

How are the rooms?

Quirky. 1st floor living room with sofa bed, 2nd floor bedroom. Definitely showing age, but everything was well kept.

How is the exec. lounge?

Very small and food offerings very minimal (did not have access, but was able to look around)

Did you receive a welcome gift?

Water bottles, fruit, chocolate

How was the minibar?

Did not look

-Good Staff, cleanliness, large rooms.

-Bad Dated decor, small club lounge with very little offerings.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points?

Awesome

Would you return?

Yes. I booked the standard room for $105 total with the AAA discount. Even if I was not upgraded to the executive suite, at that price point, I would definitely look to stay here again.

Last edited by SQ007; Sep 1, 2017 at 4:12 pm Reason: spelling
Old Sep 18, 2017, 4:40 am

Programs: AA LP pleb, QR Plat., Bonvoy Ti, IHG Diamond Amb, Foolish Hoarder of Miles, Fid. Def.
IC Hong Kong

Spire Ambassador

Booked Superior Suite, got Deluxe Intercontinental Suite (using BOGO certificate), which works out to at least a double upgrade.

How are the rooms?
This one was spectacular--panoramic harbor and city views, comfy everything, bathroom bigger than most apartments and more gadgets and doodads than you can shake a stick at.

How is the exec. lounge?
Didn't have time to check, unfortunately.

Good:
  • Best view from room I've ever had; hard to imagine a better one existing anywhere in the world
  • Spacious
  • Service polite but never obsequious
  • Extras absolutely PILED on--welcome letter at check-in, another in the room, literally ten different kinds of fruit AND a box of chocolates AND a little sake cup AND a bottle of Champagne waiting on ice when I got there AND complimentary drink in the bar AND a food credit
Bad:
  • Didn't get to stay longer
  • A bit tough to get a cab from the forecourt due to the long driveway, if there aren't any right there waiting when you walk up, but that's a championship-grade nitpick if ever there was one
  • Well-maintained but due for (and getting) a renovation soon--doesn't need much but the decor could do with a touch of modernizing. It's tasteful but not quite 2017-tasteful, if that makes sense.

It was not cheap by any stretch, but I ended up paying about US$1,000 for two nights in a room that routinely costs US$2,000 per night and would be thought fairly priced at that. If you can wrangle a harbor-view room for any price you'd consider reasonable--or, heaven willing, points--do it and you will not be disappointed.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 6:45 pm

IC Bangkok

Platinum Ambassador Member

I booked the King Club Room with Lounge Access by using the weekend certificate, got as upgrade the Diplomatic Suite with about 150 square meter

How are the rooms?
The diplomatic suite war fabulous. So big!!! Living room, dining room, working space, bedroom with living area, bathroom, and guest wc.

How is the exec. lounge?
The lounge is on the 37th floor. breakfast, afternoon tea, evening cocktails are offered. you have a fantastic view over Bangkoks skylines.

everything was fantastic!

of course!
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 6:53 pm

IC Hua Hin Resorts

Platinum Ambassador

Booked the Club Suite. This is the last level for the ambassador upgrade. So we got a compensation of 60 min massage for 2 persons.

How are the rooms?
The suite is about 130 sm. living room with living and dining areas, very big bathroom, changing room, guest wc, two big balconies, on one of it there is a double day bed. butler service for packing luggages, bath usw.

How is the exec. lounge?
the Lounge is on the beach front, small aber fine. breakfast, afternoon tea, and evening cocktails are offered. nice lounge crew.

everything is fantastic there. the only thing is it is a little far away from the city center.

the price is not low, but it worths! I'll be back there in two weeks time!
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 5:34 am

Programs: Infinity Milage Lands Gold,Star Alliance Gold, IHG Diamond RA, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by PekingExpress
Platinum Ambassador Member

I booked the King Club Room with Lounge Access by using the weekend certificate, got as upgrade the Diplomatic Suite with about 150 square meter

How are the rooms?
The diplomatic suite war fabulous. So big!!! Living room, dining room, working space, bedroom with living area, bathroom, and guest wc.

How is the exec. lounge?
The lounge is on the 37th floor. breakfast, afternoon tea, evening cocktails are offered. you have a fantastic view over Bangkoks skylines.

everything was fantastic!

of course!
I thought the diplomatic suite was on the excluded list? are you a regular at the hotel?
I have stayed there 4 times this year so far and never got more than a Club corner suite. got 3 more stays coming up so maybe I will get lucky
Old Sep 21, 2017, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA 1P, MR PE ++++
IC Yokohama Grand

Platinum Ambassador

Booked Standard Room. Got a Bay View Deluxe King Rm 2311 (1 Up)

How are the rooms?
Nice harbor and city views through large windows. Room was spacious enough. Bathroom on larger size but was a bit outdated. Could have been cleaner.

How is the exec. lounge?
I was not on a rate that allowed access;

Good:
•Nice spacious room facing the water
•Staff was very helpful.
•Great for walking along the water.
•Close to shops/restaurants in Queen Tower, Landmark Tower, and World Porter, and Cup of Soup Museum
•Bus to Haneda and Narita straight from Hotel

Bad:
• Bathroom was a little dingy and worn. Some dirty/moldy grout and hairs on the far wall
•Breakfast although good gets very crowded
• A little far from the more useful JR train station. Also from the main part of the city and all it's restaurants and bars

I got a four night stay with breakfast for about $171 (Y18625) a night. With the 4th night free from Citi Prestige and getting a bunch of points from IHG Accelerate it was well worth the splurge after two months of renting an apartment in Japan.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 5:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
IC Vienna, Austria

IC Vienna
Spire Ambassador

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive? 6 night stay using a combination of points, paid and Ambassador certificate.

How are the rooms? Received an upgrade to a large, corner king room on the 5th floor. Very comfortable bed and pillows. Bathroom was dark. Room dated but clean and satisfactory for us.

How is the exec. lounge? A refuge from the lobby because this hotel does a huge tour group & conference business. Bus loads of tourists unloaded every day. Lobby and bar/lounge is chaos. First lounge access price quoted was $100 (email), upon arrival quoted $80, when I declined then $60 due to "Ambassador status". First visit found it to be pleasant. But second visit food was basically the same, breakfast - fruit and scrambled eggs were not fresh. Option for breakfast buffet in the restaurant (see comments below). Evening hour perhaps good if one desires unlimited alcoholic beverages, we had 1 each, wine (good) and beer. Not around hotel mid afternoon to partake in tea. Lounge concierge very nice and helpful (although busy). Lobby concierge too busy trying to handle the crowds.

Good:
    Bad:
    • Received the fruit amenity, however, I noticed on day 2 it was gone (thrown away), I hadn't eaten any of it, was waiting for the peach to ripen.
    • Beautiful big flower arrangement & bottle of wine on my birthday in room; no card (wasn't sure who they were from initially). Contacted daughters who said they sent them & wrote a nice card. Called front desk to ask where's the card, said they'd called me back, never heard back.
    • Very unpleasant experience when we decided to have breakfast at the buffet instead of the lounge. Young lady at register refused to allow us in since our room number was not on her list as having breakfast included. I explained we were paying for the club lounge. She called and said no, we did not have lounge access. I then went to the front desk and received a lecture from the young man on Ambassador benefits (breakfast is not a benefit), line behind me got long. Went to the room, called a manager, he apologized, said there was a mixup. At that point (day 3 of 7) made the decision to not spend another dime at the hotel. Stopped going to the lounge, eating in their restaurants.
    • Points credited to my account were only about a third of what was owed; spent time contacting IHG who quickly posted missing points. Also corrected paid nights to qualifying, hotel posted them as non qualifying.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return? Low points redemption rate so would return if using points (with low expectations). Would not return if paying. Many other nice hotels in Vienna at that price point to choose from.
    FLYGVA likes this.
    Old Oct 21, 2017, 3:47 am

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
    IC Shanghai Puxi, China

Gold Ambassador (at the time of stay)

Booked the lowest category superior room, received one category upgrade to special view room which is the exact same room but with not-so-special view

How are the rooms?
    Very nice. Large and very stylish. Got a very large sofa area by the window. Separate toilet, Japanese style, and with bathtub and shower. Electric blinds.

How is the exec. lounge?
    Not tested.

Good: Close to Shanghai Train Station and metro station, very new and stylish hotel, friendly staff, excellent gym room and indoor swimming pool
    Bad: Upgrade to "special view" room didn't seem meaningful, dinner buffet could have better food variety

Yes, but no need to be an Ambassador
    FLYGVA likes this.
    Old Oct 24, 2017, 8:16 pm

InterContinental Tokyo Bay

Visit 1 - 14th-20th October

Booked 2x suites, received the same.
    The welcome gift was a hotel-branded flannel in a drawstring bag, as sold in the hotel shop downstairs.

How are the rooms?
    Very nice indeed. They're the same size as two regular rooms and are available in 4 different themed varieties. I received the "La Casa" room, my friend received "New York Luxury". They included similar kingsize beds to regular rooms, but there were all sorts of refinements - such as buttons to open and close the curtains, and an alarm clock which lit up as well as having an alarm tone.
    The rooms were around 70sqm, which is massive for Tokyo.

How is the exec. lounge?
    Relatively small and quite busy. The egg chef was still there from last year and they're still pushing him - when you go in for breakfast, you're asked if you want eggs. As is common elsewhere, the breakfast offerings in the lounge are a subset of the buffet breakfast in the main restaurant.

Good: The rooms were very comfortable and came with (fun-to-work-out) Panasonic massage chairs. The view across Tokyo bay was sublime and the rooms were quiet - I didn't hear a peep from my neighbours.
    The hotel's location is good as well - it's around a 7 minute walk if you're young and sprightly, although there's a free shuttle bus if you're not. There's also a train that goes to the nearby fun spot of Odaiba (and connects with the Yamanote line at Shimbashi) - the train stop is connected to the hotel.

Bad: Nothing

The rooms were expensive, but for a special trip it was well worth it. I returned just a few days later, although that was booked at the same time (see next report).
    FLYGVA likes this.

Last edited by Retron; Oct 24, 2017 at 8:25 pm
    Old Oct 24, 2017, 8:24 pm

Visit 2 - 23rd October

Booked 2x Club bay view premium, received one Club bay view premium and one corner room - the same room I had last year, and the same upgrade.
    Again the gift was a flannel, although this time I had 600 bonus points post as well - I've never been offered these, nor have any posted from my two previous visits.

How are the rooms?
    Both rooms were oversized compared to normal rooms (around 42sqm), as the bathroom was outside the normal footprint. The rooms were quiet, the air-con worked well and the bed was comfy. As this was just an overnight stop between arriving back from Sapporo via train and heading back to Heathrow early the next morning (leaving the hotel at 5AM) the main thing was just getting some sleep.

How is the exec. lounge?
    As before, it was busy. We were asked to check in via the lounge, as the main reception was busy.

Good: As before, the hotel's close location to Hamamatsucho came in handy. There was an amusing bit on checkout, though, as they didn't seem to believe we didn't need a taxi to the station! "Oh really", said the doorman when I replied we were fine with walking (with massive suitcases in tow).
    The rooms were comfortable and served the purpose well.

Bad: Nothing of note.

At half the price of the suites, the rooms did the job well and were good value for money IMO. I will return again in two years' time, when I next visit Japan.
    FLYGVA likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.