Search

Please post your Ambassador experiences 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2017, 7:56 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Intercontinental Marseille

What is your status?
Spire ambassador

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked an entry-level room for two nights midweek, using points. Upgraded to a Prestige Suite

How are the rooms?
Incredible. The Prestige suite is 1200 sq ft with a huge living area, a reasonable sized bedroom, a small guest bathroom, and a huge master bathroom. The ~20ft ceilings/windows/doors make the space seem even bigger. Everything in it is modern and tastefully decorated. The only negative I could possibly mention is the lack of balcony.

How is the exec. lounge?
No lounge exists.

What was good and what was bad?
Good:
Extremely hospitable welcome at check-in
Best hotel upgrade I've ever received
Was given a voucher for a free drink and spa access. Both were quality.

Bad:
Nothing really, it was truly an over-the-top experience.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?
For 40k points per night, this is an incredible value that I would go out of my way to experience again. I believe I was given the VIP treatment due to my Spire status more than Ambassador status. Please, nobody tell them that Spire status at an Intercontinental is supposed to be a joke, especially on award stays.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Intercontinental New York - The Barclay

What is your status?
Spire Ambassador

Booked a Premier King Room for a Saturday night on a cheap rate. Upgraded to a Barclay King Room.

How are the rooms?
The size was adequate, the corner view was nice, and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom had a heated floor, but no bathtub. The rooms "looked" fresh from the renovation, but some things were already falling apart, such as the shower handle. It felt like they wanted to do luxury on a budget.

How is the exec. lounge?
No lounge exists.

Good:
  • I was given two free drink vouchers during check-in. The bar area is nice but the drinks themselves are merely average.
  • Two-level upgrade
  • I checked-in around 10pm, and the fruit/water was waiting in my room when I arrived.

Bad:
  • Noisy! The ice machine on our floor was the loudest I've ever encountered. Also, when the AC fan cycles-on it is accompanied with a sound that I can only describe as a faint siren. Not a problem you would expect with new/modern equipment.
  • There are so many room types that the difference between each is marginal.
  • I'm afraid the hotel lost some of its historic aura during the renovation.

The rates at the hotel can be a good value (mine was under $200 on a Saturday night) but I wouldn't spend 60k IHG points to stay here. I'm not a huge fan of either Intercontinental in NYC, but I believe I prefer the Barclay over the one in Times Square. I may scout the Hotel Indigo in the Lower East Side on my next visit to NYC.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 12:03 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by patmcpsu
How is the exec. lounge?
No lounge exists.
This is incorrect. The lounge re-opened 1St May and it is fantastic. I have posted a brief review in the Master Thread.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 7:14 am

Programs: MR AMB/LT, AA EP, TK EP, DL D, B6 M4, F9 100K, IHG AMB/D, HH D, CZR D, FndCd, Sixt D, NTL E, Hz PC
InterContinental Berlin

What is your status?
Platinum Ambassador

Booked the cheapest room (Your Rate, Superior Room, with parking). Received "Deluxe High-Floor King with View", about 100E/night more.

How are the rooms?
Size is great. Furnishings are new/good condition. Bathroom has a tub, rainfall shower, generally solid

How is the exec. lounge?
No idea.

Good:
I booked my room at 8pm stopped on the autobahn. I arrived at 10pm, and the check-in person noted that it was a late reservation so the fruit plate/etc. weren't in the room. She asked if I'd like it sent up immediately; it was sent up before I actually got to my room (since I had to go park my car.)

Bad:
There's no way to have both parking + breakfast at a discounted rate (it's 28-32 EUR each if you don't prepurchase; 15-20 EUR each if prepurchased)

For cash, yes. For points, there are often better alternatives. Also, I think the Indigo Ku'damm nearby is a clearly better value, but I really like the IC here.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 1:15 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany
Original Poster

A friendy reminder :
Originally Posted by FLYGVA
How to post

1. Do not use the "Reply with Review Button" but the regular one

2(...)
The reason for this is, that the review format got lost if a review post is linked as singel post, i.e. the way it is done in all review threads.

In so far, the review of the IC Bucharest was moved to the master thread of this property.

FLYGVA
moderator IHG Forum
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton HHonors Gold
IC Dusseldorf

What is your status?
Gold Ambassador

Booked a 1 King Bed Executive, was upgraded to 1 King Bed Executive Suite

How are the rooms?
Modern to a fault, sliding doors between rooms and on the bathroom that don't actually fully close. Gorgeous bathroom though.

How is the exec. lounge?
It exists on top of reception in the Atrium and looks great, however I did not have access.

Good:
Cannot speak highly enough of Mohammed at the Concierge desk, what an absolute superstar, amazing recommendations, and so lovely to deal with, went out of his way to help. The hotel uses Holmes Place as spa/leisure facilities, while not technically in the hotel(it is next door), you can get to it through the hotel on floors 7-10, and while the pool was somewhat small it was sufficient, and the thermal suite was excellent, we availed of massages in the spa in Holmes Place and thought they were excellent.

Bad:
We had booked in for Afternoon Tea on the Sunday evening and I cannot convey how disappointed I was. When we arrived we were sat down at a pre-prepared table, our initial server was so lovely, a real pleasure, she took our tea order. Unfortunately, it appears the milk had been left out as when I poured it in to my tea it had gone sour and curdled in the cup. I was brought fresh milk(but had to ask for a new cup, no offer of replacing the tea). Before our food arrived, the server's shift must have ended, as we were then served by a new person, who was initially fine. When the afternoon tea was served, it was not what was on the menu. The menu described smoked salmon and turkey sandwiches, we were served Serrano ham and a tuna and sweetcorn wrap as well as desserts that were different from those listed. One dessert item on the menu was described as containing nuts, as someone who is allergic to nuts, this is quite important, three items ended up containing nuts including one of the breads(not listed on the menu as such).
While these were certainly issues, they could all have been easily rectified, when I addressed this with the server, I was spoken to like a child, and essentially told that it was not an issue, and 'what do you want me to do about it?'. She took the menu out of my hand, and disappeared to the kitchen, only to return to tell me that 'the menu is only an example', which it does not say on the menu, as well as 'the only thing that is missing is the salmon, you got tuna instead of turkey', how tuna is equal to turkey I do not understand, as well as the different desserts, and she offered no remedy to the fact that I was unable to eat any of the items containing nuts nor to the changed items. Never in my life have been addressed in such a curt and abrasive manner, especially in any type of service industry, let alone a five star hotel. She then walked away with the menu and did not address us again until she brought the bill, at which point I asked to speak to the manager, who removed my afternoon tea from the bill as a remedy, which is frankly the minimum that could have been done given that I was able to eat less than a third of it.

I think the location of the hotel, nice rooms, and good facilities represent good value, but I don't know if I would return frankly, with such a mixed experience. If it hadn't been for Mohammed I would struggle to recommend the hotel, on the whole though, once you avoid the restaurant you should have a great experience.

Last edited by alancostello; Jun 21, 2017 at 3:14 am
Old Jun 21, 2017, 7:16 am

Programs: QF Plat, IHG RA, Marriott Plat
IC Budapest

What is your status?
Platinum Ambassador

Booked King Superior River View Club - received King Deluxe River View Club

How are the rooms?
Very good. Long and thin. Coffee machine, good bathroom. All decent, main point being window overlooking Danube/Castle.

How is the exec. lounge?
Truly wonderful. One of my favourites. Never too busy (we were there 29 Dec to 2 Jan).

Great snacks and quality hot food during service hours, but snacks available all day. Espresso machine and soft drinks free all day.

Spirits, wine, beer and (pretty good!) Hungarian sparkling during cocktail hours, which the staff were slow to remove after the cut off time.

Best of all - spectacular views of the river, castle and city from most tables. Hugely recommended.

Good:
Location - on the river, in central Budapest. Close to sights. On a tram line, close to underground.
Staff - unfailingly brilliant.
Lounge - possibly one of the best IHG for combination quality food/drink/view? Up there with PLG?

Bad:
Deluxe rooms are a little slender, but not in a difficult way. More than compensated for by the breathtaking view.

Without a doubt. Budapest is a fantastic place, I would return, and would try for IC before anything else. Fantastic.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 7:35 am

Programs: QF Plat, IHG RA, Marriott Plat
IC Singapore

What is your status?
Platinum Ambassador

Booked Club Intercontinental King, received Club Heritage Suite.

How are the rooms?
Brilliant. Very special, and big. Loved the local styling, the separate lounge room and bedroom.

How is the exec. lounge?
Very good. Big, but never seemed crowded. Probably the most stylish IC lounge I have seen in terms of decor.

Decent, fresh nibbles, free access to soft drinks and alcohol. A staffed cocktail station during evening cocktail hour. Minor gripe was the poor quality sparkling wine. Staff super wonderful.

Good:
Location - close to MRT and (if you dare) walk to many attractions.
Style - this is your typical colonial 5 star hotel building, with wonderful Asian art styling.
Staff - 100% fantastic, helpful.
Club Lounge - classy
Staff/lounge - I was checked in at the lounge. A very lovely way to start a stay.
Heritage rooms - wonderful
Bar - the best staff and atmosphere!

Bad:
The poor quality of the sparkling wine in the lounge is the only minor at this hotel.

Would 100% return. Wonderful hotel.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 7:50 am

Programs: IHG, RC, HH, AA, QF, UA, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by patmcpsu
What is your status?
Spire Ambassador

Booked a Premier King Room for a Saturday night on a cheap rate. Upgraded to a Barclay King Room.

How are the rooms?
The size was adequate, the corner view was nice, and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom had a heated floor, but no bathtub. The rooms "looked" fresh from the renovation, but some things were already falling apart, such as the shower handle. It felt like they wanted to do luxury on a budget.

How is the exec. lounge?
No lounge exists.

Good:
  • I was given two free drink vouchers during check-in. The bar area is nice but the drinks themselves are merely average.
  • Two-level upgrade
  • I checked-in around 10pm, and the fruit/water was waiting in my room when I arrived.

Bad:
  • Noisy! The ice machine on our floor was the loudest I've ever encountered. Also, when the AC fan cycles-on it is accompanied with a sound that I can only describe as a faint siren. Not a problem you would expect with new/modern equipment.
  • There are so many room types that the difference between each is marginal.
  • I'm afraid the hotel lost some of its historic aura during the renovation.

The rates at the hotel can be a good value (mine was under $200 on a Saturday night) but I wouldn't spend 60k IHG points to stay here. I'm not a huge fan of either Intercontinental in NYC, but I believe I prefer the Barclay over the one in Times Square. I may scout the Hotel Indigo in the Lower East Side on my next visit to NYC.
you may have missed it, but there is a club lounge at the Barclay.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA PP, 2 MM; IC;
Originally Posted by Tim O'Brien
you may have missed it, but there is a club lounge at the Barclay.
No you missed it... see #48 , 6 posts above....
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
IC Chicago Magnificent Mile

This review is actually from a stay in Feb of this year. It was a short stay that I booked literally last minute.

Booked 2 Premier Double Beds Grand Tower. Received 2 Double Beds Executive Tower.

How are the rooms?
Clean and relatively large. Beds were decently comfortable. There was a considerable amount of noise though, from the outside.

How is the exec. lounge?
N/A

Good - Staff was friendly and recognized status. No problem getting the late checkout.

Bad - The noise, as mentioned earlier. Also, the perks for status weren't great. Two water bottles and a coupon for some % off the restaurant dining.

Pretty good value for less than $150/night (booked last minute). I wouldn't be upset booking again, but Chicago has quite a few good offerings along the same price point that may offer the same or better service without status.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
IC Grand Stanford Hong Kong

This is a review of a stay in late Feb. Used BOGO certificate.

Booked 1 King Bed Premier Room. Received 1 King Bed Premier Full Harbour View. This was a double upgrade; upgraded once within a few days of booking, then again a few days before arriving.

How are the rooms?
Comfortable, relatively large, though slightly dated. Shower was large, with very hot water and plenty of pressure (perfect after a long TPAC).

How is the exec. lounge?
N/A

Good - Room was ready when I checked-in at 11am (didn't specifically request early check-in before arriving). Large bowl of fruit, chocolates, teddy bear, Note from GM, and water were in the room when I arrived. Like other HK hotels, the "Handy" (complimentary cell phone) was very useful. View of HK Island was pretty good (just remember you won't be seeing Wan Chai or Central).

Bad - It's a ~20 minute walk to TST Pier or TST MTR Station (your two mass transit options to HK Island), and Avenue of Stars was (is?) under construction. Not a deal breaker, but something to keep in mind.

Pretty good value without any discounts, great value with BOGO. I would definitely return (unless I get a really good deal on the other IC).
Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:38 pm

Programs: OpenTable VIP!
IC San Francisco

Booked 1 King Bed Premier View (floors 25 -30). Ultimately received 1 King Bed corner (connecting) room on the 15th floor. This was a non-upgrade in my opinion.

How are the rooms?
Comfortable, albeit a bit small. Lots of light, wraparound windows are nice. As others have mentioned, the furniture seems a bit out of touch with the overall aesthetic of the hotel. No closet in the particular room, which is surprising at this price point.

How is the exec. lounge?
N/A

Good - Greeted as an Ambassador and offered a comp drink at the very nice lobby bar as the room wasn't ready at 4:15 or so. It was all downhill from there.

Bad - Where to begin? As mentioned, the room wasn't ready at check in around 4:15 PM. No prob, although I had a 5:30 date. Very nice front desk person comped me a drink and brought me the room key in the bar. Went to room on floor 22 only to discover it was still very occupied -- really glad I didn't actually walk in on anyone. Went back to lobby where they apologized and offered me breakfast for the next day. No real explanation about what went wrong. No problem. Now they give me the key to a connecting corner room on the 15th floor. Bathroom still had dirty facecloths in it, but was otherwise unoccupied. Not ideal, but I had to run out before dealing with it.

Now - even though I'd reserved a high floor room, I was "upgraded" to a corner king on the 15th. In hindsight I should have just asked them to honor my original reservation. Of course the welcome amenity didn't follow my room changes.

First world problems, I know, but not what I asked for and the experience left a pretty bad taste in my mouth.

It probably would have been an OK value for dollars (~$280) for the room I originally requested. For the room I got? No way. Given my experience, I'd have to be inebriated and compensated to stay at this hotel again.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:37 am

Programs: MR AMB/LT, AA EP, TK EP, DL D, B6 M4, F9 100K, IHG AMB/D, HH D, CZR D, FndCd, Sixt D, NTL E, Hz PC
Intercontinental Kyiv

What is your status
Platinum Ambassador

Booked entry level room for 5 nights using points (30k/night). Received Deluxe or Club room (without club access) -- I think these are the same.

I asked if I could pay to upgrade from base to Deluxe myself (which had been previously reported as EUR 30/night delta at this specific hotel, and allowed here); it's now EUR 60, or there was miscommunication. Toured exec lounge and decided to pass.

How is the exec lounge
Less impressive than I'd expected; I didn't use it, but did visit at checkin (during the tour on the way to my room). Would be nice to have, and perhaps worth EUR 30, but not EUR 60.

Good:
Great hotel location. Comfortable international hotel standard room. Nice daily restocking of minibar. Housekeeping every day while was out at dinner on request (I was working from hotel room in the mornings). Staff pretty consistently spoke good English and were helpful. Nice Internet (no captive portal, and WPA2 encryption.) Room service food, especially salo, was quite good.

Bad:
In-room desk chair was pretty mediocre (I'd prefer something more adjustable and task/office chair style.)

Value for $ of Priority Club Points? Would you return?
It's expensive (and Kyiv is expensive, generally). Cash rates during my stay were EUR 400/night or so, so I used 30k points per night, which was a better value. Even still, that is fairly expensive.

My next stay I'll try the 11 Mirrors (since SPG is my primary program), but I'd be happy to stay at the IC as well.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 3:15 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb., Marriott Gold, FB Plat, BAEC Silver
IC Berlin

IC Berlin

Booked Club Deluxe, received Club Junior Suite.

How are the rooms?

Spacious room. They placed a second bed in the living room and we had good sleeping privacy. Rooms are on the 8th floor and overlooking the Tiergarten Zoo.

Bathroom was spacious, Agraria toiletries (big bottles). Tv in the bathroom was a nice touch. There was a toilet in the bathroom and a seperate toilet.

How is the exec. lounge?

The lounge was very quiet this weekend. Friendly staff. They offer Nicolas Feuilatte champagne.

The afternoon tea offerings are on a buffet. The canapés are served. Cheese and veggies on buffet.
​​​

+ Nice room.
+ Well stocked minibar.

- At breakfast, on my last stay they bring you to a table. Now you just have to search a table by yourself.
- No choice between a welcome drink or points (600 welcome points posted overnight).

Stayed with a BOGO voucher, wich was a good deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.