Please post your Ambassador experiences 2017

Old Feb 25, 2017, 11:09 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb., Marriott Gold, FB Plat, BAEC Silver
Intercontinental Abu Dhabi

Intercontinental Abu Dhabi

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?

Booked the cheapest room, got a "club room with sea view", but without club access.

So in fact, I booked the cheapest room and got same.

How are the rooms?

Spacious enough, about 40 sqm. Sea view is a nice touch, but nothing special.

Bathroom is old, but has a seperate shower and bath.

How is the exec. lounge?

N/A

What was good and what was bad?

Good:
- Friendly staff at the lobby and restaurant;
- Breakfast spread is extensive;

Bad:
- Fake upgrade;
- Very slow Wifi;
- Even got a letter in my room to point out the great "Club Intercontinental" and, it also invites me to the club lounge. But my room key wouldn't allow me;
- At checkout the front office manager explained me this are "the new rules", and argued the club room is better than other rooms ("better coffee machine sir";
- This hotel is more like an all inclusive resort then a five star hotel.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?

Paid about 350,00 for two nights including breakfast. I'll never come back to this hotel. Plenty of other choises.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, IHG Rewards Diamond Ambassador
Intercontinental Boston

I phoned the hotel to ask which room rate I should book to be able to receive lounge access and they kindly offered that I should book a King Bed Premier City Viewroom and I was upgraded to a King Club room with city view which included lounge access.

AMB gift was large bottle of water and fruit.

How are the rooms?
Excellent - modern decor, huge TV, separate working area, large, comfortable Bed, modern bathroom with split bath and shower

How is the exec. lounge?
Very good - great staff and solid breakfast spread

n/a

Around $265 p/n including tax I felt was overall not bad VFM
Old Mar 1, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: United PremPlat; M LT Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Spire A
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Irons80
... which room rate I should book to be able to receive lounge access and they kindly offered that I should book a King Bed Premier City Viewroom and I was upgraded to a King Club room with city view which included lounge access...
Nice tip, thank you!
Old Mar 6, 2017, 11:29 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
IC Tokyo Bay

IC Tokyo Bay, stay as a Plat Amb in Feb 2017

Book cheapest on government rate, which I qualified and had ID.
Upgraded to a nice corner room with harbor view. Not a suite.

How are the rooms?
Fine. Met my standard for an IC.

How is the exec. lounge?
Did not have access.

Hotel is a three-to-four block walk from the end of the monorail line from Haneda Airport, which is also adjacent to the JR circle line. There are two economical noodle shops two blocks away. Really liked the view. The only (slightly) bad is that one has to sign a liability release to get an admission key to the exercise room.

Good value for Tokyo. I am returning in April.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 5:22 am

Intercontinental Seoul COEX

Booked 1 King Bed Club Superior; received 1 King Bed Business Suite. Ambassador gift was plate of fruit and a small bottle of sparkling mineral water. Offered 600pts or a drink at check-in. I took the points

How are the rooms?
Room is massive - it's 2 rooms joined together with 2 full bathrooms! It's got a huge, comfy bed and lots of space, as well as a massive TV

Bathroom is old fashioned looking, but has a separate shower and (tiny) bath. It's a very American styled bathroom vs. European

How is the exec. lounge?

Nice space, but breakfast not that impressive in terms of quality or choice. Food during the rest of day OK and plenty of it in the evening, but not especially amazing. I wondered how it compares to the Grand IC next door.

Good:
- Super helpful staff throughout the hotel
- Huge hotel pool (biggest I have ever seen!)

Bad:
- Screen (broadcast) quality on room TV is poor
- Lounge F&B isn't amazing

Paid around 275 p/n which I think is expensive overall for the quality of the experience, despite the size of the room
Old Mar 21, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat Amb
Presidente Intercontinental Cancun

Used points first two nights for base room, offered upgrade to view room or $60 or $80 supplement for club view or club oceanfront, took oceanfront. Very glad I did. Second two nights, I used Amb free weekend night to book Caribbean Suite, upgraded to Signature Suite, though was told a bit before the stay that it is not included in available upgrades (see exclusions in the Amb terms and conditions). After a very cordial conversation with Aldofo, the head Concierge, he let us have it since it was not listed there yet. They are going to add it though. :/

How are the rooms?
The club oceanfront room was good sized and set up very well with a nice balcony overlooking the resort and sea. The design is set up so you can see out from just about everywhere. Nice design. Would definitely stay in this one again.
The Signature Suite was sweet! Just wow. You walk into a huge room (entry/dining/living) that has three door/windows leading to a terrace at the end with an amazing view of the sea. There is a bedroom at the front next to that room with the same three door/windows on that huge terrace. Behind the bedroom is a huge bathroom and behind that is a large area with an outdoor shower. Yes, outdoor. Of the entry is a powder room and a TV room. Yes, a room just for a tv with a couch and chair. I've been fortunate to get one or two good luck upgrades to amazing rooms, but this is definitely #1 or #2. Just amazing.

How is the exec. lounge?

One of the best located lounges I have ever been in. It's on the first floor and in two parts. One part is outside overlooking the pool and the sea. We were out there almost every time for breakfast and cocktail hours. I just loved it. The food was plentiful and quite good with good variety and the service was outstanding. The margaritas didn't hurt.

Good:
- Great staff. Great service. Great beach. Great rooms. Great, um, everything.
- Two pools, including one for adults only, though the regular pool was just fine. Oh, and of course the beach and swimming in the Caribbean Sea!
- public bus pick up/drop off right out front and like 50 cents a ride to restaurants, shopping, groceries, nightlife, whatever.

Bad:
- I had to leave.

Holy cow, yes. 30K for base room, very reasonable supplement. It's kind of expensive otherwise, but the Amb free weekend night helped a lot. Still I'd go back for sure even without the free weekend. Probably just book basic and see if I could pay the supplement again.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 11:26 am

Intercontinental Dublin

Booked standard room and received an executive suite, which was a large, fully 2 roomed suite

How are the rooms?

The room had 2 large TVs, a Nespresso machine and L'Occitan toiletries (my favourite!) but they decor itself is rather old fashioned and not to my personal taste

How is the exec. lounge?
There isn't one

Good:
- Decent service from all staff
- Great upgrade to a suite
- Reasonably priced breakfast offer on checking in (I had booked RO)
- Large plate of fruit and water (AMB)

Bad
- Location isn't great for Dublin City Centre
- Decor is quite old-fashioned
- No Spire points / drinks gift on check-in
- Couldn't use pool as they'd run out of swimming trunks to purchase

175 Euros wasn't too bad value and I would on balance be happy to return
Old Apr 6, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
IC Presidente Cozumel Resort

IC Presidente Cozumel Resort

Booked 7 nights here with a combination of points, Ambassador weekend cert, MC free night. So bottomline 1 paid night (lowest category "pool view").

How are the rooms?
Outstanding, one of the most beautiful rooms I have ever stayed in. Newly decorated, received 1 level upgrade to ocean view, 2nd floor balcony. Room was located at the far right (looking toward the ocean) of the property. Long walk to lobby, restaurants, pool, but it was quiet and full-on ocean view. Close to marina, so watched the scuba/snorkeling boats come & go.

How is the exec. lounge? None

Pro:
- Three restaurants with very reasonably priced delicious food, and lots of choices, variety. Better meals here than in town.
- Beautiful, warm infinity pool. Sandy cove for ocean swimming.
- Impeccable service
- Location far enough away from town, but not too far ($7 taxi ride)
- Plenty of loungers, palapas/shade, good poolside service, clean poolside bathrooms, easy listening music but playing softly (if you don't like it move further away and you won't hear it)
- Adults only pool if kids at the main pool bother you.
- Resort was not crowded even during this high season; no waits for anything
- Bank ATM machine (hidden) that gave honest exchange rate. Pay for taxis in pesos
- Gorgeous room (2nd category from bottom), bed so comfortable and the pillows were like clouds/marshmallows!

Con:
- Rates were incredibly high, plus 20% additional tax/fees. Comparable with Hawaii & other Caribbean resorts. Too high for Mexico IMO.
- No Ambassador welcome gift. First they told me the fruit was the gift, then they said it was a free movie. Didn't matter, I just appreciated the 1 level upgraded room on my mostly unpaid stay. They also mentioned they "didn't have to do it" but they would. Could have done without that comment.
- Planned to get a massage at the spa, but the prices were way over the top.
- Initially no phone, menu, spa info, mini bar in room. On second day asked front desk if they had room service & how do we order it? He was shocked to hear no phone in the room. But they brought all these things quickly.

Definitely would return using 40K points/night. Would not pay the $400+ lowest category rate. Big variety of room choices/prices, to go up one step from the bottom was +$100 and the rates climbed from there. Nicest IC I have ever been to, all things considered--it will be hard to find better (and I've been to Hong Kong).

Last edited by Steph58; Apr 6, 2017 at 10:39 am
Old Apr 7, 2017, 6:07 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold, IHG - Spire Ambassador
IC Chicago Magnificent Mile

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive? We booked the cheapest, 2 double beds Grand Tower and received a two level upgrade to 2 premier double beds Executive Tower.

How are the rooms? Huge. Our room on 15th floor has a sofa and arm chair plus two chaise longues at the foot of the beds. Bathroom has separate shower. Only two bathrobes/pairs of slippers and we are a family of three.

How is the exec. lounge? NA

What was good and what was bad? Good - the staff were fantastic. I had been mugged earlier in the afternoon and my bag was snatched so we arrived in a police car! The duty manager was called to check us in because I no longer had my passport or credit cards. We were given three bottles of water and the concierge helped me to make international phone calls back to the UK to cancel my credit cards and a local call to the consulate to organise emergency passports. The manager also comped the calls from our room as he knew my phone had been stolen in the mugging. He provided me with the address and directions to the nearest Western Union outlet so I could collect some cash. Since the mugging, I have been asked several times if everything is OK and if I need more assistance. The manager also gave me a card with his direct dial number on it and has called the room a couple of times to check on us.

Our Ambassador welcome amenity was four premium drinks vouchers for the Michael Jordan bar and two coffee vouchers for Starbucks. The fruit tray was an apple, an orange, a plum and a pear. This came with a large bottle of water and we were instructed to help ourselves to water from the minibar. The pool and fitness centre were wonderful - we spent a lot of time here. My youngest son was allowed to watch three complimentary movies because we has three separate bookings for our room.
Bad - the in room coffee was gross. Brand was Caf Valet but there were a couple of Earl Grey teabags too.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return? We booked 6 nights on three separate bookings. The first two were points (50000) because the cash rate was $400, the second two were at $142/night and the last two were at $178/night. For the location, room double upgrade and assistance given at check in I thought this represented good value. We wouldn't hesitate to return - if I could persuade my kids that Chicago is not over run with baddies!
Old Apr 9, 2017, 1:35 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K

Booked exec double, got 2 level upgrade to grand suite with king and pull out couch

How are the rooms?
Room was a junior suite with a single bathroom. It seemed small for a junior suite. Maybe 350 or 400 sqft.

How is the exec. lounge?
None

Good:
-Ambassador check-in desk saved a lot of time
-All ambassador benefits provided as advertised

Bad:
-Room condition wasn't too good and it felt cramped
-Small tvs

Used free weekend night cert, would return if using that. Otherwise, I like other hotels in the city more.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, Accor Gold, HH Diamond, Krispy Kreme Brown with chocolate sprinkles
IC Boston

Booked 2 nights (Amb weekend rate) in 2 Queen Bed Club Room and 1 (reward) night in standard room. All 3 nights upgraded to 2 Queen Bed Water View on 10th floor with lounge access, but charged for lounge access for night 3.

How are the rooms?

The room was very spacious and had great views over the harbour. It was let down a little by minor maintenance issues such as a non-functional bath plug, broken robe hook and dirty or stained floor in the shower.

The lack of on-demand movies was a little annoying.

How is the exec. lounge?
The lounge itself is very nice, with plenty of space and great views. The staff , when present, were friendly and attentive and plates etc were cleared away regularly.

Breakfast was quite good at the weekend, with an omelette station and a good buffet selection. Our last day was on a Monday and the offering was not quite as good, with no omelette station and less pastries.

The evening canapes were great and there was enough to make a meal each night with 2 hot options and lots of cold options. As I was travelling with my young daughter, I didn't partake or notice the alcohol that was available.

Throughout the rest of the day, the usual soft drinks were available along with plentiful amounts of cookies, dried fruit/nuts, sweets etc.

I was a little disappointed that there was no afternoon tea or sandwiches available at any time between breakfast and the evening drinks/canapes, especially as lounge access is not cheap (around $90 inc taxes per night - with the Amb discount). I'm not sure if this us normal for IC lounges in the US.

Good:
- Location, right opposite the Children's Museum (which is excellent BTW)
- Room Size
- Room View
- Lounge staff
- Lounge breakfast (especially at weekends)

Bad:
- Woken up twice by reception calling the room late on our night of arrival saying that room service was waiting outside. They had mixed up the room numbers and got a little argumentative rather than apologetic when I explained that I had not ordered anything. This was very annoying after a long journey when I was a little jet-lagged.
- Lack of caring when the above issue was reported later at reception
- Minor maintenance issues in room
- Dirty plate (from our welcome fruit) left in our room for the duration of our stay
- Lack of afternoon meal in lounge
- Poor pre-stay communication. I had emailed ahead to ask for the 2 booking to be linked so that we wouldn't need to change rooms on the last night. I received a vague response and, upon arrival, it appears that nothing had been done which caused a little unnecessary confusion.

At the Ambassador weekend rate, I thought it was reasonable value for money. The third night at 55k points was also reasonable. At the normal rate, I would have felt that I had over-paid.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 11:25 am

IC Budapest

IC Budapest

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive? We booked a king classic with club lounge access and received a very strange upgrade to the next category down which was a superior room river view. From the room map on the back of the door we noted that it was the smallest room on the floor. Our reservation was not modified on the IHG system. This was a real disappointment.

How are the rooms? It was tiny. Fortunately we did not plan to spend much time in the room. The bathroom was tiny too with no separate shower.

How is the exec. lounge? Wonderful. Fantastic breakfast, all day coffee/soft drinks and snacks, afternoon tea and substantial canaps and drinkies in the evening. The is the second best lounge I have visited, coming a close second to IC Malta.

What was good and what was bad? The good thing was the lounge. My welcome points posted overnight after check in. The pool was lovely, underused by other guests. The first day we had it to ourselves.
The room was dreadful - it was tiny. It made me wonder what accommodation non Spire Ambassadors would receive.....
Our fruit, water and gift did not arrive in the room on the first night. The following day I asked at reception and the second night we received a generous fruit platter with seven different fruits, four bottles of mineral water and two large bars of chocolate.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return? We used our Ambassador certificate paying 229 for the two nights. This seemed good value as we did not have to pay for restaurant meals - we took all our meals in the lounge. We used our holiday pocket money for other activities including a fabulous river cruise. Without the Ambassador certificate this would have been a rip off as Budapest is a low cost city.
Old May 5, 2017, 8:03 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
InterContinental Koh Samui

Intercontinental Koh Samui

Booked Classic Room on combination of 3 IHG free nights with wife and 2 nights with points, got same room

How are the rooms?
I believe we were in 304, close walk to lobby and breakfast, and able to walk down to beach, just took buggy coming up.

Room is spacious enough, open shower next to tub, great bath amentities (shampoo, conditioner, bath gel). Best part is view from the patio of the 5 islands, pier, and ocean. Patio is definitely showing it's age...

How is the exec. lounge?
N/A

Good:
- Because I'm Ambassador, offered breakfast daily for 650 BHT instead of the 1100 BHT. We were told we'd have to get breakfast everyday for the deal, but because of miscommunication, we didn't have breakfast the 1st day and started the 2nd day, but they allowed us the deal provided we paid for breakfast the last 4 days
- Breakfast spread is good, latte's and cappuccinos included
- Wife's luggage was delayed. However, the InterContinental offered to drive her free of charge to a nearby town so she could purchase a few things, and even dry-cleaned several pieces of her wardrobe, free of charge, on our 2nd day, since she only had 1 outfit for to wear for breakfast and dinner during our first 2 days there
- We did the seafood and meat buffet with the fire show, and enjoyed it. Ate 4 lobsters (can either have them cold or cooked on fire), as well as various other seafoods and cuts of meats.
- Rented scooters from resort next to IC and drove around island one day
- Service was great, always had smiling faces from staff throughout our visit

Bad:
- As previously stated, hotel is starting to show it's age, especially the patio for our room
- My wife noticed towels being re-used at the pools at times, as staff would take a towel that was left by guest, fold it up, and lay it back down on the chair; not sure at what extent this happens
- There was a wedding Saturday night (2nd night there) and while it didn't affect any of our eating arrangements, at 11:30pm they lit off fireworks for about 3 minutes that sounded like gunfire when we woke up

- Sure, given how easy it is to obtain IHG points vs Hilton points. We've stayed at the Conrad Samui before, and obviously it's in a different category than the IC, but we enjoyed the fact that there are 2 beach restaurants near IC, cheaper points, and seems closer to nearby town.
Old May 14, 2017, 4:07 am

IC Frankfurt

IC Frankfurt

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive? We looked the cheapest entry level room and received a superior room on the 16th floor. I see from the floor plan on the back of the door, our room was one of the largest on the floor.

How are the rooms? Great, spacious. Bed was comfortable. There were two robes and two pairs of slippers. Shower was over the bath. Bath was wide and deep, shower pressure was powerful.

How is the exec. lounge? NA

What was good and what was bad? Our rate (102) included breakfast. This usually attracts a charge of 31 per person but it is splendid. It lasts until 11 am on the weekend so is more like brunch. Sparkling wine is included.
Our 'fruit' platter was unusual. There was a single chocolate strawberry, a serving of meat pt with a cheese straw and a serving of fruit compote with natural yoghurt. Our Ambassador gift was a jar of strawberry and vanilla jam which retails in the gift shop for 4. There was a small bottle of mineral water. Our welcome amenity points posted overnight. Around 20 minutes after checking in, we received a call from guest services to check that everything was to our satisfaction.
The fitness centre is vast with fruit and water available. When we using it, there were two other guests present. In my view, it would be better with half the floor space used for a pool.
We printed our boarding cards in the business centre which had a single computer.
For the price paid, there was nothing bad.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return? Cheap as chips. We paid 102 including breakfast.
Old May 15, 2017, 3:51 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton HHonors Gold
IC Berlin

Booked Junior Suite, received Senior Suite(Superior Room with additional Corner Living Room) in the East Wing on the 6th floor

How are the rooms?
Really nice, great view of the Tiergarten and Victory Column, two separate bathrooms, one with bath and one with rainforest shower, the shower pressure in particular was impressive.

How is the exec. lounge?
Wasn't on Club rate.

Good:
-Arrived at 11am hoping to drop off a bag, was able to check in to the Superior Room portion of the Suite, with the Living Room accessible after 4pm. Was offered a drink voucher for the bar as the room was going to be a few minutes.
-Check-in agent had asked when my flight home was(10pm), was offered a 5pm checkout which was nice.
-A box of chocolates, a jar of mixed nuts, and a fruit bowl were all in the room when the Living Room was opened, in addition a 400 point welcome amenity posted on my account during the first night.

Bad:
-Breakfast was a bit disorganised and somewhat cluttered, hard to find everything and very long queues for the eggs/omlette/pancake station. The food however was good.

Great value on a paid rate, will likely return later in the year.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.