Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extending Diamond status by purchasing Ambassador?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Virgin Gold
When does your Spire status / Ambassador status run till though?

I think the thought was if you renewed say now it would trigger the Spire choice as the Spire expiry date would be out into 2019
Old Jan 28, 2018, 1:47 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by snevillio
When does your Spire status / Ambassador status run till though?

I think the thought was if you renewed say now it would trigger the Spire choice as the Spire expiry date would be out into 2019
As I said the card states “Ambassador exp: 01 March 2019”

The IHG app states it as 28 Feb 2019!
Old Jan 28, 2018, 1:50 pm

That helps thanks. Shame about the name on the free night certificate - it was handy to be able to transfer them to someone else when it just had a blank box for name/number.
I think I might switch my business to Hilton and use my last few days of AMB/Spire Elite to status-match to Hilton via their 90-day 8-nights to Diamond challenge.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 1:58 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by mikeecix
That helps thanks. Shame about the name on the free night certificate - it was handy to be able to transfer them to someone else when it just had a blank box for name/number.
I think I might switch my business to Hilton and use my last few days of AMB/Spire Elite to status-match to Hilton via their 90-day 8-nights to Diamond challenge.
I have run both schemes, but prefer Hilton where I have been Diamond for 13 years.

For me with mainly UK stays, I get better perks such as free breakfast and more regular upgrades at Hilton.
​​​​​​​
With a few exceptions most IHG properties seem to ignore upgrades and if you want one you have to “negotiate” at Check in. This invariably involves being told there are no better rooms available, then proving them wrong by showing them available better rooms on the app.
My Spire elite earns me more bonus points which I then struggle to redeem, as when I take breaks I usually opt for Hilton Hotels with exec lounges and free breakfast!
mikeecix likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 2:09 pm

Previous Accelerate promos were good points generators for me and redeeming (mainly in London) has been pretty good value. I can't remember getting any upgrades despite my paid-for AMB/Spire Elite status!
Have just submitted my Diamond status-match in an attempt to move myself up from Hilton Gold and take advantage of the lounge access and better upgrade opportunities.
I find Hiltons generally more expensive than IHG properties but I'm actually collecting the points to redeem for Hilton Experiences...last one was One Republic concert at Abbey Road studios for 60k points.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:53 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by Stealthmode
@FFlash: I would advice to do it at least two months before your stay, so you may be able of using the free weekend night voucher... if you're staying over the weekend. You should also be aware that you will NOT receive any points for the stay during which you purchase Ambassador membership.
I am quoting a very old answer that I happened to read, but the sentence "you will NOT receive any points" made me think again here. Why not receive ANY points during such a stay, what are the grounds for that? For sure I should always receive the normal IHG points but if the mention is about some ambassador extra points then I understand? What is this?

Again, time for the end of year and losing definitely Spire this year (I finally requalified last year, hence the old post) as my stays are near 0, but considering now to use this Amb trick for extended status
Old Oct 28, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: QR P; HH D; IHG SpAmb
Any recent experiences on this?
Old Oct 28, 2018, 9:46 pm

I think buying ambassador extended my Spire status. I’ve barely stayed this year, and my card on the app is showing spire amb through 11/30/19.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
I renewed Ambassador in August for a October 1 renewal and couldn't see if Spire was extended (as the electronic card shows the Ambassador renewal) but in the iOS App below "Available to reddem" there is a 2018 Track to Elite Status with arrow > click on the arrow and it opens a window stating the Elite Status Expiration (for me 12/31/2019 > the Ambassador renewal extended Spire for a Year)
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:51 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by adobbing
​​​​​​With a few exceptions most IHG properties seem to ignore upgrades
I get regular upgrades with IHG even with Platinum (in fact had been upgraded many times being Gold too), however even on Club level upgrade properties tend to exclude Club lounge access. I do not refer to ICs now, which explicitly exclude lounge access in T&C, but to CPs and Holiday Inns (those having a lounge).
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:26 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by barracuda93
I get regular upgrades with IHG even with Platinum (in fact had been upgraded many times being Gold too), however even on Club level upgrade properties tend to exclude Club lounge access. I do not refer to ICs now, which explicitly exclude lounge access in T&C, but to CPs and Holiday Inns (those having a lounge).
Stayed at a Holiday Inn last week, booked King Deluxe, no upgrade on arrival. Checked from the car park and noted that there were rooms to upgrade me to.
Asked at check in about my Spire Elite upgrade, told that there were no available rooms. Showed them the IHG app and the the rooms that they could upgrade me to. Told that they couldn’t upgrade me to those rooms, only to a King Deluxe which I was already in. pointed out that wasn’t an upgrade and that they “could” upgrade me. Flatly refused!

The night before I was in a Doubletree where I had booked a double guest room plus. Pre upgraded as a Diamond on arrival to Junior Suite. Hotel was fully booked, yet they managed to upgrade me to a great room and even put a bottle of wine and chocolates in the room.

Compare and contrast!
IHG Rewards club is crap!

I only participate now when I have to, for an accelerate type challenge. I am awash with Points that I find difficult to spend because I would rather use Hilton Points. At Hilton I get a free breakfast and mostly a decent upgrade. At IHG I get very little other than hassle at check in.
I have used points to maintain Spire by purchasing ambassador for the last couple of years. I’ve seen little benefit beyond maybe extra base points, which I then use for little more than to purchase Ambassador the following year.
The stated benefit of guaranteed room availability seemingly doesn’t apply to reward nights, which means the points are even harder to spend.
If only there was an effective way to convert them to Hilton Honors Points!

Last edited by adobbing; Nov 5, 2018 at 6:33 am
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Compare and contrast!
Well, I am far from being an advocate of IHG program in terms of elite recognition, even with Ambassador status in ICs it's inferior to Marriott/SPG. Yet, I don't think it's a fair comparison between Doubletree and Holiday Inn. If you judge Hilton by Garden Inn and IHG by Crowne Plaza, result may be very different
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....

Stayed at a Holiday Inn last week, booked King Deluxe, no upgrade on arrival. Checked from the car park and noted that there were rooms to upgrade me to.
Asked at check in about my Spire Elite upgrade, told that there were no available rooms. Showed them the IHG app and the the rooms that they could upgrade me to. Told that they couldn’t upgrade me to those rooms, only to a King Deluxe which I was already in. pointed out that wasn’t an upgrade and that they “could” upgrade me. Flatly refused!

The night before I was in a Doubletree where I had booked a double guest room plus. Pre upgraded as a Diamond on arrival to Junior Suite. Hotel was fully booked, yet they managed to upgrade me to a great room and even put a bottle of wine and chocolates in the room.

Compare and contrast!

I only participate now when I have to, for an accelerate type challenge. I am awash with Points that I find difficult to spend because I would rather use Hilton Points. At Hilton I get a free breakfast and mostly a decent upgrade. At IHG I get very little other than hassle at check in.
I have used points to maintain Spire by purchasing ambassador for the last couple of years. I’ve seen little benefit beyond maybe extra base points, which I then use for little more than to purchase Ambassador the following year.
The stated benefit of guaranteed room availability seemingly doesn’t apply to reward nights, which means the points are even harder to spend.
If only there was an effective way to convert them to Hilton Honors Points!
Please stay OT and if you want to express your disappointment use/create another post
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:46 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, RR A-List
Renewal popped up today (Spire Amb set to expire 1/31/19) - had options for $150 to renew, $200 to renew + 15k points + 10% point rebate, or 40k points to renew. Took the $200 option. 15k points posted immediately, and I now expire 1/31/20
1flyer likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:46 pm
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Also from us moderators a friendly reminder, that this thread is about "Extneding Spire by purchasing Ambassador" and not, if this status is worth or worthless.

Thank you very much

FLYGVA
co-moderator IHG Forum
blitzen likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.