Extending Spire status by purchasing Ambassador?

Old Jan 8, 17, 1:58 pm
  #31  
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Seattle WA USA
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 570
TY chrism20.
DaveH is offline  
Old Jan 9, 17, 1:27 am
  #32  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Isle of Sheppey, UK
Posts: 254
Originally Posted by mster View Post
Yes. This. The 25k bonus is only triggered by qualification on nights / points.
Not true.

I qualified for Spire by points in 2015, which gave me a choice benefit once Spire launched (and a Spire expiry date of December 2016). In February last year I then redeemed some points to become an Ambassador, which gave me Spire until December 2017 - and another choice benefit. (At this stage I only had 18000 or so qualifying points).

I renewed Ambassador a few days ago and like others on here my Spire membership now expires in December 2018. I've not received a choice benefit this time.
Retron is offline  
Old Jan 9, 17, 3:56 am
  #33  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Somewhere in Europe
Posts: 3,140
Yeah my choice bonus was released with amb in June.

I never got to 75k until around September.

Choice benefit fit was redeemed early July.
chrism20 is online now  
Old Jan 13, 17, 8:11 am
  #34  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: CLE -> BNA
Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, RR A-List
Posts: 310
Data point, as one who did not get the Choice Bonus when using Ambassador to extend Spire (last redeemed the 25k points in 2015); emailed IHG, and got the following:

"Its great to hear from you and I hope you're doing well today.

Upon checking on your account, it shows here that you were not able to meet the requirements to maintain your Spire Elite status ( 75 nights or 75,75 qualifying points in a calendar year) for the year 2016. I see here that for the year 2016 you stayed a total of 67 nights and earned 70, 650 points, which means since you did not meet the number of points or nights need you account should have been downgraded to Platinum.

The system did not downgrade your account, we will leave your account on a Spire status, but in this case we won't be able to deposit the 25,000 points benefit since technically you did not make it to Spire last year but your account will remain on Spire.

Moving forward, to earn the 25,000 points please do make sure to meet the 75 nights or 75,000 qualifying points within this calendar to maintain your account.

We hope this clarifies your concern, have a great day!"
kerrigjl is offline  
Old Jan 30, 17, 9:37 am
  #35  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 4
Originally Posted by kerrigjl View Post
Moving forward, to earn the 25,000 points please do make sure to meet the 75 nights or 75,000 qualifying points within this calendar to maintain your account.
This is disappointing. I used points to purchase ambassador with the expectation of getting my points back with the choice benefit. I've been Spire since inception without truly staying 75 nights and have not redeemed a choice benefit since July 2015. Based on a few data points, anyone have any ideas on why the system triggers the bonus for some and not others?
kevtra2 is offline  
Old Jan 30, 17, 2:39 pm
  #36  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: CLE -> BNA
Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, RR A-List
Posts: 310
Originally Posted by kevtra2 View Post
This is disappointing. I used points to purchase ambassador with the expectation of getting my points back with the choice benefit. I've been Spire since inception without truly staying 75 nights and have not redeemed a choice benefit since July 2015. Based on a few data points, anyone have any ideas on why the system triggers the bonus for some and not others?
Same here. Oh, well.
kerrigjl is offline  
Old Jan 31, 17, 2:27 am
  #37  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Posts: 1,326
Originally Posted by kevtra2 View Post
Based on a few data points, anyone have any ideas on why the system triggers the bonus for some and not others?
I've just looked into the code behind IHG's IT systems and found this code snippet:

Code:
function whosALuckyBoyThen{
   luckyBarSteward = giveIHGPointsToMemberNumber( RND( listOfMemberNumbers[] ) );
   triggerPoints( luckyBarSteward );
};
That may explain things.
leland likes this.
rumbataz is offline  
Old Feb 28, 17, 7:04 pm
  #38  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire/Ambassador, Marriott Gold, BA Silver
Posts: 1,364
Nevermind

Last edited by Enigma368; Feb 28, 17 at 7:08 pm Reason: N/A
Enigma368 is offline  
Old Mar 1, 17, 12:13 am
  #39  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 29
Just had a ...

Originally Posted by kerrigjl View Post
Same here. Oh, well.
...lengthy dicussion with IHG Club Center. They claim you get the 25.000 Choice Benefit now only when you reach the 75 nights or 75.000 points during the current calender year. In 2016 this was different as most of the us who achieved Spire Elite Status when introduced in 2015 got another Choice Benefit on January 1st, 2016. IHG Club Center even claimed that I achieved 75.000 points when I redeemed the Choice Benefit on January 29th, 2016 but I only did so in April 2016. After that they claimed I did not achieve Spire Elite status in 2016 at all but as I keep track of all my points and nights by an Excel sheet I proved them wrong. However, they insist that the system has not changed ... but it did. Because now in stark contrast to 2016 you get the Choice Benefit only when you reach the Spire Elite Status during 2017 ... not as a loyalty gift for the previous year achievement.
Safiye2015 is offline  
Old Mar 1, 17, 1:51 am
  #40  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Posts: 1,326
Originally Posted by Safiye2015 View Post
...lengthy dicussion with IHG Club Center. They claim you get the 25.000 Choice Benefit now only when you reach the 75 nights or 75.000 points during the current calender year. In 2016 this was different as most of the us who achieved Spire Elite Status when introduced in 2015 got another Choice Benefit on January 1st, 2016. IHG Club Center even claimed that I achieved 75.000 points when I redeemed the Choice Benefit on January 29th, 2016 but I only did so in April 2016. After that they claimed I did not achieve Spire Elite status in 2016 at all but as I keep track of all my points and nights by an Excel sheet I proved them wrong. However, they insist that the system has not changed ... but it did. Because now in stark contrast to 2016 you get the Choice Benefit only when you reach the Spire Elite Status during 2017 ... not as a loyalty gift for the previous year achievement.
That's been discussed in the main Spire thread. I guess IHG has 'enhanced' the Spire benefits and sneaked this new rule in, as a few people have had this issue.
rumbataz is offline  
Old Mar 1, 17, 11:23 am
  #41  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: HEL
Programs: Only Gold card I have is at F24Seven :D
Posts: 5,096
Originally Posted by Safiye2015 View Post
.. In 2016 this was different as most of the us who achieved Spire Elite Status when introduced in 2015 got another Choice Benefit on January 1st, 2016. .
Not true. Me and several others reported, when hitting first time Spire when it was introduced, that the 25k points was only triggered after you had renewed your Spire.
FFlash is online now  
Old Mar 1, 17, 11:34 am
  #42  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Somewhere in Europe
Posts: 3,140
Originally Posted by FFlash View Post
Not true. Me and several others reported, when hitting first time Spire when it was introduced, that the 25k points was only triggered after you had renewed your Spire.
It would appear not everyone was treated the same last year. My choice was triggered way before 75k.

At a guess it would appear IHG have discovered there was an issue and sorted it at some point during the year as there are mixed reports on this everytime it's brought up.
chrism20 is online now  
Old Mar 2, 17, 3:41 am
  #43  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Macau SAR. HKG (office) and Kendal, Cumbria
Programs: BA Gold, Asia Miles, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Spire Ambassador
Posts: 713
No 5,000 point Cert

Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
TY chrism20.
I wasn't expecting the 25,000 Spire benefit - although it clearly states I am entitled to in the membership pack.

But I was expecting the 5,000 point certificate that is in the benefit list when I applied.

Has that been enhanced away too.
Modo is offline  
Old Mar 2, 17, 5:26 pm
  #44  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire/Ambassador, Marriott Gold, BA Silver
Posts: 1,364
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
I wasn't expecting the 25,000 Spire benefit - although it clearly states I am entitled to in the membership pack.

But I was expecting the 5,000 point certificate that is in the benefit list when I applied.

Has that been enhanced away too.
I also received a letter in my welcome pack saying I was entitled to the 25k Spire benefit. Ill contact IHG and will report back. The letter is pretty unambiguous though, it says because I am now an IC ambassador "i have been upgraded as a thank you" from IHG Platinum to IHG Spire and thus I am "now entitled" to the Spire benefit. They cannot say that in an official letter and then claim the benefit is only for those who earned Spire through stays. Essentially the letter directly contradicts what they told other people on this thread.

I also have not received the 5k cert btw and my account is also UK based.
Enigma368 is offline  
Old Mar 3, 17, 1:09 am
  #45  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Macau SAR. HKG (office) and Kendal, Cumbria
Programs: BA Gold, Asia Miles, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Spire Ambassador
Posts: 713
Please let me know

Originally Posted by Enigma368 View Post
I also received a letter in my welcome pack saying I was entitled to the 25k Spire benefit. Ill contact IHG and will report back. The letter is pretty unambiguous though, it says because I am now an IC ambassador "i have been upgraded as a thank you" from IHG Platinum to IHG Spire and thus I am "now entitled" to the Spire benefit. They cannot say that in an official letter and then claim the benefit is only for those who earned Spire through stays. Essentially the letter directly contradicts what they told other people on this thread.

I also have not received the 5k cert btw and my account is also UK based.
I will settle for the 5K but if they don't resolve I will put the whole transaction in to dispute as I paid with my UK credit card.

But my account is Macau China - genuinely as we live here about 45 weeks a year. Dealing with the China IHG team in English is futile so I will be grateful if you do report back.
Modo is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: