Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extending Diamond status by purchasing Ambassador?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2016, 2:41 pm

i don't think it's a loophole. IHG probably realizes that Spire is, well and truly, only worth the net 2000 points!

truth be told, based on the value of the spire non-'benefits' i received during stays over the past year, 2000 points is arguably overpaying!
Old Dec 16, 2016, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by BackSlash3
My experience is that my ambassador renewal does extend my platinum status regardless of not earning the points or nights required to renew, so I'd say that your odds are good, but I can't speak directly to the renewal of spire.
Same here with my Platinum status as I've only enough nights or points this year for Gold next year. But when I renewed my Ambassador in July the Rewards status counter showed me extended through to the end of 2017.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 1:49 am

Programs: QR P; HH D; IHG SpAmb
Anyone managed to extend Spire status by purchasing Amb AND been able to select the Spire benefit (25K points or Platinum referral)?
Old Jan 3, 2017, 1:57 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
If an IHG gold member buys Ambassador status, what level of status he will have after completing the purchase?
Old Jan 3, 2017, 2:35 am

Gold. What else?
Old Jan 3, 2017, 6:21 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
Originally Posted by a9504477
Anyone managed to extend Spire status by purchasing Amb AND been able to select the Spire benefit (25K points or Platinum referral)?
Not for me - Ambassador renewed yesterday, Elite status extended to 31 Dec 2018 but no Spire benefit.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by davidw70
Not for me - Ambassador renewed yesterday, Elite status extended to 31 Dec 2018 but no Spire benefit.
No "Spire Elite Choice" benefit here either. I renewed my Ambassador status back in December and it extended my Spire status expiration from 12/17 to 12/18. A friend also purchased Ambassador status for their account back in December (also with active Spire status), but their Spire status wasn't extended.

If it matters it doesn't look like any of the major hotel chains have 100% finished updating everyone's accounts for the new year.

Last edited by mster; Jan 3, 2017 at 7:41 am
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Can you get Spire by getting the credit card again?

Or did they kill that method of entry?

[Ah never mind, someone already answered that. Well, it was good while it lasted. Spire was great in Asia. I got upgraded just about everywhere.]
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by TomA
Can you get Spire by getting the credit card again?

Or did they kill that method of entry?
Long dead.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by davidw70
Are you saying that your Spire status was extended (when you did not meet the qualifications for renewal) because you renewed you Ambassador membership. But that you were just not given the Spire benefit choice of 25K points? If so, perhaps that benefit is only triggered in the system once you've passed the 75 nights/or 75K base points threshold.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Fanjet
Are you saying that your Spire status was extended (when you did not meet the qualifications for renewal) because you renewed you Ambassador membership. But that you were just not given the Spire benefit choice of 25K points? If so, perhaps that benefit is only triggered in the system once you've passed the 75 nights/or 75K base points threshold.
Yes. This. The 25k bonus is only triggered by qualification on nights / points.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 8:33 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by mster
Yes. This. The 25k bonus is only triggered by qualification on nights / points.
I passed the Spire Elite 75 nights/75K points needed for requalification 8 or 9 months ago. I was not offered the bonus again until this month (one year after accepting it last year). I checked December 30, 2016 and it was not available. It was available today. I requested the 25K today and it was posted to my account instantly. For me, at least, you've got to wait a year in between requests for the 25K even if you re-qualify much earlier in a calendar year.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by CalItalian
I passed the Spire Elite 75 nights/75K points needed for requalification 8 or 9 months ago. I was not offered the bonus again until this month (one year after accepting it last year). I checked December 30, 2016 and it was not available. It was available today. I requested the 25K today and it was posted to my account instantly. For me, at least, you've got to wait a year in between requests for the 25K even if you re-qualify much earlier in a calendar year.
Under the Spire benefit/choice, as well as showing your current options regards benefit mine is just shwingHertz) tere is also a history section. If I expand i see I took 25k twice once in 2015 and once in 2016

Obviously you can only trigge the 25k once per calendar year, though as life og 25k is until 31st Dec the following year, you could leave te 25k unclaimed into next calendar year and once you hit 75k/75nights the following year claim
2 x 25k the same day
Old Jan 7, 2017, 8:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I am assuming that the 25K Spire bonus do NOT count as elite qualifying points in their own right?

So for instance, if I qualify for Spire in 2017, but don't claim it until Jan 2018, those points aren't used as part of my 75K base points to requalify for Spire in 2019?
Old Jan 7, 2017, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by DaveH
I am assuming that the 25K Spire bonus do NOT count as elite qualifying points in their own right?

So for instance, if I qualify for Spire in 2017, but don't claim it until Jan 2018, those points aren't used as part of my 75K base points to requalify for Spire in 2019?
Yep - choice benefit points are NON qualifying for status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.