Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extending Diamond status by purchasing Ambassador?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, RR A-List
Originally Posted by VG3RMJC2
The offer came in my monthly eStatement of December, I was looking into extending the Ambassador and that just came in on-time, its NOT the 25k of hitting Spire as apparently I didnt hit it!
Its valid only for cash renewal when renewing by paying 200$, if someone is interested, you can approach the Ambassador desk by email and ask them, they are answering in few hours, sometimes within minutes.
Good Luck!
Darn, I should have waited to renew!
Old Dec 17, 2018, 2:00 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
The 200$ renewal option always came with 15k points, they just seem to have upped it to 25k points for this offer. Not bad for sure.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
I’m not close to renewring Spire, so I took a stab at purchasing Ambassador status [note: not a renewal, as I was not an Ambassador beforehand] by paying 40,000 points to see if it would also extend my Spire status. It doesn’t appear to have done so. The IHG App indicates I will have Ambassador status until 1/31/2020, but my Spire status is still set to expire on 12/31/2018.

I don’t know if the result would have been different if I was renewing existing Ambassador status and/or if I had paid for Ambassador status with money, instead of points.
barracuda93 likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
I’m not close to renewring Spire, so I took a stab at purchasing Ambassador status [note: not a renewal, as I was not an Ambassador beforehand] by paying 40,000 points to see if it would also extend my Spire status. It doesn’t appear to have done so. The IHG App indicates I will have Ambassador status until 1/31/2020, but my Spire status is still set to expire on 12/31/2018.

I don’t know if the result would have been different if I was renewing existing Ambassador status and/or if I had paid for Ambassador status with money, instead of points.
Thanks for letting us know. I decided to do mattress run instead as I don't find myself really benefiting from the Ambassador programme (rarely stay at ICs, only about once per year) and being a Spire member I already get many of the benefits. On the other hand, mattess run will get me more points that are more valuable, and I only need 2 stays * 5000 points.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:24 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz

I am in the same situation as you and did the cash option to purchase Ambassador for the first time and my Spire is also still showing as ending 12/31/2018. Will see what ends up happening.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian

I am in the same situation as you and did the cash option to purchase Ambassador for the first time and my Spire is also still showing as ending 12/31/2018. Will see what ends up happening.
Perhaps IHG closed the loophole to coincide the announcement of new Ambassador benefits (as they expected a surge of people joining)?
Old Dec 17, 2018, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium

Is this what your Ambassador card, available to view via your account, says? It should say Spire as your non-IC IHG status. The account activity counter towards Spire would continue to show you falling short; in the past, what's happened is that the following year the system continues to reflect Spire rather than downgrade for Ambassador loophole folks.

Last edited by Points Scrounger; Dec 17, 2018 at 4:36 pm
Old Dec 17, 2018, 3:35 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
The lower left of my Ambassador card in the app says “Spire Exp Jan 31, 2020”

FFlash likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 17, 2018 at 3:41 pm
Old Dec 17, 2018, 3:44 pm

Congrats!
FlyinHawaiian likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium

Check your membership card, which should say Spire until 2020. The status counter will continue to show you as falling short - ignore that.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:16 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
You need look at expiry in App rather than on ihg.com webpages

No issues with Ambassador for usd150 giving IHG Platinum, this simply levels playing field regards RoW v USA wherin USA get IHG Plat foc with their credit card , or credit card with with nominal yearly fee
Old Dec 18, 2018, 10:16 pm

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal
Any offers for new members floating around? Have a few IC stays coming up so might take a flyer on this w/ points.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 10:53 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK

now I found it too and says spire 12/2019
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FFlash

now I found it too and says spire 12/2019

​​Just renewed and mine says the same thing
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 5:19 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Does anyone know if initiating (NOT renewing) a membership, paying with points has resulted in extension of Spire?

tb

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.