Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best IHG Property in UK?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2019, 12:19 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Now I stayed at the Indigo before it’s changeover, in the original building in a room overlooking Shakespeares childhood home. The whole room was uneven, walls, beams and floor. Very atmospheric. Theyve closed down those rooms for substantial refurbishment since Indigo took over but I understand they’re hoping to reopen those rooms any day. I do hope they’ve kept those original 14th century features, though I suspect a lot has been “straightened out”.

Regardless the hotel is in a great position in Stratford and I’d definitely recommend!
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
The Kimpton Fitzroy is a great property and probably all round the best UK IHG for now, probably followed closely by the IC O2.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 12:12 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
i)Value for money, ii)great location, iii)great staff, iv)great rooms/decor or v)great elite benefits have different priorities to different guests, r even same guest if a business v personal/family trip

I have stayed at many IHG UK hotels where a combination of i) to v) resulted in a great experience for my stay (not just good). Ones I really liked as great include
IC Park Lane (only coz I am an RA ) <== Still best in UK but need to be a Royal Ambassador for it to be best (can not agree with IC O2, though for 18month IC St James London was great too)

Also include as a Plat/Spire elite
Indigo Paddington, London
CP Stratford on Avon (ex Holiday Inn )
CP Manchester City Center
CP Manchester Airport
CP Birmingham City Centre
CP Leeds City Center
Staybridge Suites, Birmingham City Center
Holiday Inn Edingburgh (by the Zoo)
HIE Warwick
Old Jul 9, 2019, 2:55 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Outside London, mine was always the CP at Heythrop Park near Oxford. Stunning location and grounds and great leisure facilities too. However I tried to book there last week and sadly is no longer an IC property as the franchise has now expired.

Was a great place for a weekend break in the heart of the Cotswolds
Old Jul 9, 2019, 4:32 am

Programs: Infinity Milage Lands Gold,Star Alliance Gold, IHG Diamond RA, Kimpton Inner Circle
My vote goes to IC O2 have been treated very well there each time I have stayed as an RA no complaints what so ever thus far.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scubaccr
i)Value for money, ii)great location, iii)great staff, iv)great rooms/decor or v)great elite benefits have different priorities to different guests, r even same guest if a business v personal/family trip

I have stayed at many IHG UK hotels where a combination of i) to v) resulted in a great experience for my stay (not just good). Ones I really liked as great include
IC Park Lane (only coz I am an RA ) <== Still best in UK but need to be a Royal Ambassador for it to be best (can not agree with IC O2, though for 18month IC St James London was great too)

Also include as a Plat/Spire elite
Indigo Paddington, London
CP Stratford on Avon (ex Holiday Inn )
CP Manchester City Center
CP Manchester Airport
CP Birmingham City Centre
CP Leeds City Center
Staybridge Suites, Birmingham City Center
Holiday Inn Edingburgh (by the Zoo)
HIE Warwick
Cannot agree with a few of these. I don't find the IC PL great although I do like the Club Life package on redemption stays, the rooms are still a weak spot. In terms of physical fit out and infrastructure the IC O2 is better in all respects and they now seem to have addressed their longstanding service issues too.

The CP Stratford upon Avon does not give RA/Spire club access without a big argument (or at least didn't last year) although the lounge is good and it is a fairly decent property odd layout aside. I would propose the CP Solihull (oddly with the same owners) as an alternative.

The Manchester and Brum CP's are pretty good although the Birmingham CP is a little dingy and in need of a refurb

I can't say I am fan of the CP Leeds which again needed a good refurb unless it has had one in the last year and unlike the other CP's mentioned has no club lounge. Similarly didn't have great experiences at the HI by the Zoo in Edinburgh, although the top floor, conference suite was quite good.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Having stayed at these CPs

Stratford-upon-Avon - I would choose the Indigo here
Solihull - I would rather stay in a new refurbished Room at the Voco
Birmingham - badly in need of refurb. The air con is noise and rooms dated. Indigo here too.

I do like the CP gerrards cross room are in decent shape and has a nice restaurant and decent gym set up. Could do with a little refresh though.

Heythrop Park has been bought by Werner hotels think they will refurb before rebranding next year.

Last edited by TGLoyalty; Jul 9, 2019 at 3:27 pm
Old Jul 10, 2019, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TGLoyalty
Having stayed at these CPs

Stratford-upon-Avon - I would choose the Indigo here
Solihull - I would rather stay in a new refurbished Room at the Voco
Birmingham - badly in need of refurb. The air con is noise and rooms dated. Indigo here too.

I do like the CP gerrards cross room are in decent shape and has a nice restaurant and decent gym set up. Could do with a little refresh though.

Heythrop Park has been bought by Werner hotels think they will refurb before rebranding next year.
Can't comment upon the Indigo Stratford as haven't stayed there but my only issue with the CP is the lack of clear lounge access for spires into what is a really good and spacious lounge. The location is pretty great too as are the rooms which are very similar to the CP Solihull (not surprising as similar legacy and same owners).

I have heard that the Voco in Solihull has small rooms, all the rooms at the CP have been refurbed and all are spacious, especially the real club rooms with sofa beds which are more like junior suites. The health club at the CP is also great and the lounge is pretty good too (which the Voco doesn't have as I understand it).

Agree with the comments re: Brum CP, in theory the Indigo is better however on my one attempt to stay I had to leave immediately as the building is made of glass and the AC was totally ineffective with non opening windows and thus the room was incredibly hot and would have taken about a week to cool with all the curtains shut. I would have no hesitation staying in winter but it will be a very high risk stay in summer. Again no lounge at the Indigo but the location, décor, public spaces and rooms are all better.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: IHG Rewards Club Spire Elite, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Further north I’d highly recommend staying at Hotel Indigo Dundee. Great rooms and staff, consistently good elite treatment and superb Daisy Tasker restaurant.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by olympian
Further north I’d highly recommend staying at Hotel Indigo Dundee. Great rooms and staff, consistently good elite treatment and superb Daisy Tasker restaurant.
Yes it’s nice as is the adjacent Staybridge. The parking is a pain though.

Even further North I’ve long been a fan of the HI Aberdeen West although it’s lost a bit of shine since the GM moved to HI Glasgow Theatreland.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 12:54 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Just coming to end of an 8 night stay at Indigo Stratford. This is a great Hotel Indigo - and a very well-run property.

It is:-

+ in a great location in the centre of Stratford. Close to river, theatre and train station
+ well furnished - v good quality furnishings / fixtures - no cheap plastics here.
+ characterful old building at front and new fresh hotel at the back.
+ Nice garden courtyard for drinks / food
+ Bedrooms up to modern standard
+ Staff, without exception (so far) all go out of way to be helpful but more fundamentally are well trained / led so they know how to do so.
+ One example of good management - I had a blocked plug / drain in shower which unfortunately caused a flooded bathroom (I felt stupid as I didn’t notice straight away) but when reported staff were on it immediately. Moreover they followed up and fixed the issue too.

Really cannot fault it and I consider myself picky. It feels, almost, like a Kimpton. Almost ‘too good’ to be an Indigo. This is where other hotel managers should come to see what ‘best’ looks like!
Old Jul 3, 2021, 5:25 pm
wsc

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
Just coming to end of an 8 night stay at Indigo Stratford. This is a great Hotel Indigo - and a very well-run property.

It is:-

+ in a great location in the centre of Stratford. Close to river, theatre and train station
+ well furnished - v good quality furnishings / fixtures - no cheap plastics here.
+ characterful old building at front and new fresh hotel at the back.
+ Nice garden courtyard for drinks / food
+ Bedrooms up to modern standard
+ Staff, without exception (so far) all go out of way to be helpful but more fundamentally are well trained / led so they know how to do so.
+ One example of good management - I had a blocked plug / drain in shower which unfortunately caused a flooded bathroom (I felt stupid as I didn’t notice straight away) but when reported staff were on it immediately. Moreover they followed up and fixed the issue too.

Really cannot fault it and I consider myself picky. It feels, almost, like a Kimpton. Almost ‘too good’ to be an Indigo. This is where other hotel managers should come to see what ‘best’ looks like!
nice will be visiting on points. Any upgrades given?
Old Jul 10, 2021, 3:57 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by wsc
nice will be visiting on points. Any upgrades given?
YMMV! This time, I booked a suite so there was no higher upgrade.

I stayed last summer for a few nights and didn’t receive an upgrade - I think they were totally full.

Pre-pandemic, I was upgraded on a points stay to a suite so, as I say, it may vary - but they will look after you there I’m sure.
wsc likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 7:30 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Review on all the IHG hotels I stayed in the UK so far...

As a Spire Ambaddasor
Crowne Plaza Kensington: July 2020. Now DoubleTree Hilton but back then it offered the best treatment to spire and just overall good value. Upgraded from a standard room to a duplex suite. Indeed the room starts to show wear but fee breakfast, unlimited soft drinks and 2-hours long happy hour made it up. Enjoyed afternoon tea (£35 per person) in the secret garden and it was okay. It was an excellent location as well.

Holiday Inn Express Dundee: Feb 2020. The room is a bit dated and small-ish but everything is functional. It faces Tay Bridge so it has nice views. A standard drink voucher was given but no upragde as it was full. Car parking is at the multi-story car park next to the hotel (accessible via a mini bridge). Think overnight parking is free until 8 am?
Holiday Inn Express Preston South: July 2019: A very basic hotel but does the job just fine.Standard drinks voucher and no upgrade as it was full.

Holiday Inn Coventry M6, Jct.2: July 2019: Free parking obviously and you actually got to spin the wheel to see what benefits you could at as an elite? Got upgraded and free and secured parking of course.
Holiday Inn Manchester Central Park: Jul 2019: Relatively new hotel and room. Good service and upgraded to executive room on points stay. Free parking for guests.

Intercontinental Park Lane: Oct 2020: Situated at Hyde Park Corner, the hotel really does make you feel posh. Paid £35 upgrading to standard points room to newly renovated Mayfair deluxe room. Excellent service all around as expected and loved the room design. Unclear communication meant I was given 2 glasses of bubbles instead of it being empty and the hotel was more than happy to remove it from the bill. I would like to be there again but being 100k per night is making it difficult to go back.

Kimpton Charlotte Square Hotel: July 2020. Well decorated hotel. Loved the tasting menu at Azile (£75 each). Was given a standard drink voucher (not the Kimpton branded) during my stay. Didn't try the pool because it was closed. Booked a standard room and got an upgrade to superior which probably is only a bit bigger. Valet parking is £30 per night. Great location in central Edinburgh.
Kimpton Clocktower Hotel: May 2021. Loved the bar as it is well decorated and serves excellent cocktails. Upgraded from a standard room to superior and the high ceiling made the room feel so much roomier. Will say Clocktower is made of a cluster of buildings so navigating to rooms is like going through a maze. A large and well-equipped gym with refreshments stocked within and therefore you must give it a go. There is a private car park that does 24 hours parking for £12 via pay and display.
Kimpton Blythswood Square Hotel : July 2020/June 2021: Probably the best Kimpton in the UK as rooms are so much bigger. The hydro pool is huge, fun, and really is the highlight of the property. There is also a cinema room (by request) but didn't try it due to a wedding that was taking place. Tried all the non-suite rooms and the deluxe garden view room is the best. All rooms have a separate shower and bath. Paid £25 to have late checkout until 6:30 pm. Cocktails were good here also. Parking is £30 and outside parking is difficult as it's all paid for and display. 10 minutes walk to the city centre.
Kimpton Fitzroy Hotel: Feb 2020/Oct 2020/May 2021: The Kimpton with the most stunning interior work. The cocktail bar and the drink itself were nothing but excellent. Rooms are always on the small side and upgrades seem to not be a thing here but the design is slick. Excellent location as well. It really is expensive these days to use points here. That being said I got 10k points for mentioning secret password once.

Staybridge Birmingham: Feb 2020. Rooms are modern and in a good location. Received standard free drinks etc. I find the mattress on the tough side but other than that nothing to complain about.
Staybridge Dundee: Everything looked new when I visited in Sept 2020. You get 2 free drinks and snacks and a space-available upgrade to 1 bedroom king. Interestingly no visitors are allowed past 11 pm during my stay even if invited by guests. Small but very functional gym. Breakfast was prepacked but has a lot of stuff in it. Parking is indeed a pain but funnily enough, I wasn't charged for on-site parking and if it is full you can try on-street parking in front or at the side of the hotel.
Staybridge Heathrow Bath Road: July 2020: Good treatment for spire meant an upgrade from standard room to 1 bedroom suite. Everything is new and got 2 free drinks and snacks. They seem to do good breakfast but didn't give it a try as planned to eat in T5 lounge.

Last edited by cysyuen; Jul 15, 2021 at 7:40 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.