Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

First ever Candlewood Suites Stay, And I'm Impressed with the Brand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First ever Candlewood Suites Stay, And I'm Impressed with the Brand

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2018, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whimike
Nope, for sure the Candlewood Suites I stayed at had breakfast. It was the Town Square Boise location. The Meridian, Idaho location also has breakfast. They both had a Holiday Inn Express-style breakfast setup.
Neither of these hotels have breakfast any more. I don't know why they had breakfast for a while, I'm guessing that both hotels were under the same ownership and the ownership didn't realize that having a breakfast was not in the Candelwood standards..

I figured this out by searching the reviews at both hotels for "breakfast". In each case, no results until page 3 of the reviews. For the Town Square location,I came across this reply from management (earlier this year):

"Thank you for taking the time to let us know how your stay was. We are so sorry to hear that you were misinformed about about us serving breakfast. We are working hard to remove all traces online that state we serve breakfast. We hope to serve you again in the future. ~Safe Travels."

while for Meridian location I came across this in a review:

"This hotel used to offer a continental style breakfast but they have now discontinued that."

So first, it's possible that hotels in the greater Boise area (that these both are) were the only ones in the Candlewood chain ever to offer breakfast.

Secondly, since they discontinued breakfast, it's quite likely there are no longer any Candlewoods that have breakfast. (And if there are, chances are that within a couple years the breakfast will be gone there too, because any Candlewood that has a breakfast has it by mistake.)
Old Jul 24, 2018, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I like the Candlewood concept. I hate their mattresses. They are thin and hard, definitely inferior to any other IHG chain, and I've noticed this in multiple cities. I don't mind the lack of breakfast, and I like the expanded food pantry selection.

I will still sometimes stay in one on a Thursday night on a vacation trip if it's a 10k property and I'm only staying a night. But I've learned that if a smaller city has a 10k Candlewood, they probably also have a 10k Courtyard or Fairfield.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
I never know so many people were fans of Candlewood. Personally I've avoided the brand since trying them out 15 years ago and hating just about everything about the place. But I usually travel on business where price isn't important, so I suppose I would give them another try for personal travel if the price was right. But the lack of housekeeping would make me think twice about anything other than a one night stay.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
I have found a much higher percentage of rundown properties in the Candlewood brand. versus other IHG brands. I have the same issue with the Townplace Suites brand with Marriott versus their other brands. So my rule of thumb now is to avoid them unless I know a specific location is good.

--Jon
Old Jul 26, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
I have yet to try one, maybe I will. I've gotta say, Staybridge is a very underrated brand of theirs. I hope Candlewood is similar
Old Jul 29, 2018, 4:51 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Nice to see my thread bounce back up to the top. Since I wrote this I've returned to the Charlotte University CS four times and also stayed at the O'Hare Airport and MCI Airport CS and the Durham RTP CS twice. I've yet to stay at a CS that was rundown or have any issues at one.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 3:30 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by CMK10
Nice to see my thread bounce back up to the top. Since I wrote this I've returned to the Charlotte University CS four times and also stayed at the O'Hare Airport and MCI Airport CS and the Durham RTP CS twice. I've yet to stay at a CS that was rundown or have any issues at one.
What's the one at ORD like? I have a couple of pre- and post-flight stays there in November.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by whimike
Is breakfast a random perk at Candlewood Suites? Several of the ones I have stayed at do have free breakfast.
The WatchNugget has the same experience here. What gives?
Old Aug 3, 2018, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by WatchNugget
The WatchNugget has the same experience here. What gives?
One of the CWS that I stayed at recently did have the breakfast, but the DC asked/reminded me to not mention it in a review if I wrote one as it was not a perk that CWS offered and just their hotel. Said IHG would/could come down on the franchisee for offering the breakfast outside the policy.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
I have stayed in some really crappy candlewoods over the past few years, so much so that I stopped. I did try it again recently and it must have been a renovated property, as it was better than I remember.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 3:19 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
What's the one at ORD like? I have a couple of pre- and post-flight stays there in November.
It was perfectly fine, here's my review in fact:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...d-airport.html
Old Aug 8, 2018, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by CMK10
It was perfectly fine, here's my review in fact:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...d-airport.html
Thanks for that - very useful. It looks absolutely fine. I chose it basically because it was one of the few places with smoking rooms available. I paid 15k points for my first night and $93 for my next one, two weeks later.

I chose it for convenience because I will be arriving half-cut off a TATL flight and don't want to drive up to Racine, WI. This way I can just roll back onto the shuttle the next morning and pick up a car at the airport.

The second night is before a morning flight onward to DCA, so that I don't have to leave my friends' place in Racine at pig o'clock in the morning.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 3:49 pm

My first stay at a Candlewood Suites in Winnemucca, NV (stop over driving from CA to UT), the room itself was fine. I would pass on this brand because it offers no room upgrades to Platinum members, and no free breakfast, which goes a long way with a family of 4. I still prefer the HIX brand, but it was 10K points more, so tried the Candlewood for the first time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.