Wiki Posts
Search

Santiago, Chile--Intercontinental vs Crowne Plaza

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2016, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: ihg platinum
Santiago, Chile--Intercontinental vs Crowne Plaza

Both the IC and thr CP are 25K IHG points per night. In some cases, the IC is less $ per night. Which is the better hotel with respect to location and overall qualoty? Will be there in November. Also, how is the wifi at either of these properties; free, fast, etc.?

Last edited by PenguinPaul; Oct 26, 2016 at 7:15 am Reason: Addl info
Old Oct 26, 2016, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19962162-post17.html
Old Oct 26, 2016, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
IC is a very nice property (even if some suite are a bit dated by design, but perfectly maintained).

Location of IC is much better as in the most select part of the city (remember that Santiago is a huge city).

Last edited by nicolas75; Oct 26, 2016 at 7:25 am
Old Oct 26, 2016, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nicolas75
(even if some suite are a bit dated by design, but perfectly maintained).
Looking at the site, it seems that suites have been renovated (not exactly my taste ).
Old Oct 26, 2016, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
If you want to walk around the more touristy areas, the CP is in a better location. The hotel is a bit dated, however.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
CP is quite dated, but the staff couldn't have been nicer on my one stay. CP prices are relatively high but I expect it is because there aren't many name brand hotels in that part of the city.

Location - it depends. Are you there for business in/near the City Center? Then the CP it is. If you are there for most any other reason, you would probably want to stay at the IC.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: ihg platinum
Thanks for the great responses. We are there for vacation, pre-cruise departing Valparaiso. Never been so we are looking to see the main touristy sights, close walking distance to safe neighborhoods with restaurants, bars, shops, etc.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 9:00 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
I stayed at the IC 6 months ago and I liked it. I would recommend it. I actually walked all the way to downtown, it is a few KM though...
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Bumping this up -- facing the same scenario curious whether anything has changed since 2016. Other option is the Renaissance Marriott with a couple of CC free night certs at Marriott
Old Dec 2, 2018, 11:37 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
I haven't stayed at the Marriott or the Intercontinental. I have stayed at the Crowne Plaza many times. The most recent time was almost two years ago, but I am returning to the CP soon.

The rooms are dated, but functional. It has a lounge, and the hotel staff are nice. The biggest thing is the CP is ideally located to Santiago's main tourist sights, and the access to the metro is better than the Intercontinental. The Bella Vista neighborhood is across the big boulevard and then across the concrete channel. Bella Vista has the funicular and La Chascona. Bella Vista has a lot of upscale restaurants and bars. The closest good steak restaurant is La Hacienda Gaucha, just around the corner, but in the other direction from Bella Vista..

This is a safe area of Santiago, and I've been to some of the sketchier parts of that city. Nevertheless, a pair of non-Chilean idiots once tried the "spray fake bird poop and let us help you clean it off" distraction theft attempt on me. No real harm done, and this was at the big traffic circle crossing to Bella Vista area.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:11 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Not having done much research on this, I am curious if anyone can clarify about the locations between these two hotels. There are posts here saying that the CP's location is much better, and then other posts saying the IC's location is better. Can anyone clarify?
Thanks!
Old Apr 26, 2019, 2:20 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by kyushuman
Not having done much research on this, I am curious if anyone can clarify about the locations between these two hotels. There are posts here saying that the CP's location is much better, and then other posts saying the IC's location is better. Can anyone clarify?
The IC is in the financial & high-rise center of town. The CP is closer to the airport, walkable to popular tourist attractions, and closer to a metro. See my post up-thread. Depends on what you want to see.
I had two good stays at the CP in January 2019, but they no longer comp lounge access for IHG Plat's like they did a few years ago.

Also, at the CP, or any other IHG property for that matter in Chile: Make sure they take off the tax from your check-out bill if you are a foreigner. I can't remember for sure, but I think on one of my two stays, I had to show my IHG booking receipt in dollars to make it happen.

A very good steakhouse is very close to the CP on Vicuna Mackenna: La Hacienda Gaucha. There is one highly negative review of the restaurant somewhere by a FT'er, but I stand by my high recommendation of La Hacienda Gaucha.

Last edited by Bowgie; Apr 26, 2019 at 2:28 am
Old Apr 27, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by kyushuman
Thanks!
I actually prefer the IC's location in the Los Condes neighborhood. Many excellent restaurants along the Isidoria Goyenechea - all an easy and safe 10 minute walk from the IC and the Costanera Center (tallest building in South America with large accompanying mall) is also a 10 minute walk. Biggest plus about CP's location is being walking distance to the Bellavista neighborhood - but taxis are cheap and plentiful regardless which property you choose. IC is definitely in more of an upscale neighborhood and the IC itself is a nicer property than the CP. I spent about 4 weeks staying at the IC Santiago in 2017 and many of the staff became like family. Great property overall. Santiago is a great city and I suspect you'll be happy with either location. If the price is the similar, I'd definitely go with the IC.

-FlyerBeek
Old Apr 27, 2019, 9:57 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
I actually prefer the IC's location in the Los Condes neighborhood. Many excellent restaurants along the Isidoria Goyenechea - all an easy and safe 10 minute walk from the IC and the Costanera Center (tallest building in South America with large accompanying mall) is also a 10 minute walk. Biggest plus about CP's location is being walking distance to the Bellavista neighborhood - but taxis are cheap and plentiful regardless which property you choose. IC is definitely in more of an upscale neighborhood and the IC itself is a nicer property than the CP. I spent about 4 weeks staying at the IC Santiago in 2017 and many of the staff became like family. Great property overall. Santiago is a great city and I suspect you'll be happy with either location. If the price is the similar, I'd definitely go with the IC.

-FlyerBeek
Thanks to both of you for the recommendations-- both places sound nice! They are both 25,000 points per night. IC $119 for my dates, CP $145. Likely to use points though maybe pay for IC....
Curious about the fitness/gym/ pools? Either one much better?

Last edited by kyushuman; Apr 27, 2019 at 10:10 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.