I'm almost a Spire!

Old Jul 25, 2016, 7:38 am
Original Poster

I'm almost a Spire!

At the rate we're going we'll have Spire status in a couple of months. I have read somewhere else (don't remember where) that at Crowne Plaza that Spire members are typically upgraded to the Club Lounge (?) and it will include breakfast. Is that offered at IC as well?

I've tried finding something online to read about it to no avail. I even tried calling the toll free number and when I asked about the CP the lady said "I have no idea."

We are going to be cruising out of Miami next year and I am trying to book a reward night at one of the hotels either at FLL or MIA and just trying to figure out which our best bang for the points would be.

Thanks for any help!
Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by gkrnjlr
At the rate we're going we'll have Spire status in a couple of months. I have read somewhere else (don't remember where) that at Crowne Plaza that Spire members are typically upgraded to the Club Lounge (?) and it will include breakfast. Is that offered at IC as well?

I've tried finding something online to read about it to no avail. I even tried calling the toll free number and when I asked about the CP the lady said "I have no idea."

We are going to be cruising out of Miami next year and I am trying to book a reward night at one of the hotels either at FLL or MIA and just trying to figure out which our best bang for the points would be.

Thanks for any help!
You have never even thought about having any look at the rules of the program, have you? It is all in there
Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:33 am

Spire (and Platinum, and any other IHG status) is a joke. Don't expect anything more than the increased bonus point %! Perhaps, if you are lucky, you will be positively surprised somewhere along the road.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:16 am
Original Poster

I actually did go look for the info but found basic info rather than what perks were offered at various chains.

I have been hearing a lot of people say that there are better cards/offers out there but so far we've been happy with this one.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by 336
Spire (and Platinum, and any other IHG status) is a joke. Don't expect anything more than the increased bonus point %! Perhaps, if you are lucky, you will be positively surprised somewhere along the road.
i stay weekly at chain hotels and have pretty much always been lucky as per you at holiday inn and up properties with IHG.

potentially you just travel within the continental US and are staying ad HIX?
Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:25 am

Mostly EU, a bit US, some everywhere.

Perhaps I should add that generally I am not blown away by a bottle of water, nor easily impressed by an expired granola bar.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:36 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I actually did go look for the info but found basic info rather than what perks were offered at various chains.
In summary, breakfast is not a benefit of the IHG program, even for top tier:

- At CPs you may be upgraded to the Club Level in which case Club Lounge access may be offered (which would then include breakfast)... but it's hit or miss depending on the property.

- At ICs, you shouldn't expect any sort of upgrade unless you join the Ambassador program. However, some ICs may go above and beyond and upgrade non-Ambassador Spires, so I won't say that upgrades never happen for non-Ambassadors.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 11:24 am

There is currently a trial at the moment where some properties are giving additional benefits to Spire but I stress it is a trial and is coming to an end soon. Whether anything is actually rolled out is another matter.

Have a look through the last four to six weeks worth of posts on the thread below, there has been a little bit of chat about the trial which will give you an idea. That thread though is the main spire one so probably the best place to look/ask for info on that tier.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...ier-spire.html
Old Jul 25, 2016, 12:56 pm

I have been Spire from day 1. It is pretty useless. One club upgrade in Manila, free parking at HIE at Munich airport. Don't expect too much, other hotel programs are significantly better.
If you spend enough night at Intercontinental Hotels you should go for Royal Ambassador. That program is good (currently at the IC Sandton Johannesburg, club lounge, gift, wine and fruits in room etc etc.....
Old Jul 25, 2016, 1:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
What? Where did you read this? I AM a Spire and get nothing special at any of the hotels I've been at except maybe a higher floor. No larger room or suite upgrades without paying money for it, and definitely no club access - this was at both Crowne Plazas and IC's domestic and abroad.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dw
In summary, breakfast is not a benefit of the IHG program, even for top tier:

- At CPs you may be upgraded to the Club Level in which case Club Lounge access may be offered (which would then include breakfast)... but it's hit or miss depending on the property.

- At ICs, you shouldn't expect any sort of upgrade unless you join the Ambassador program. However, some ICs may go above and beyond and upgrade non-Ambassador Spires, so I won't say that upgrades never happen for non-Ambassadors.
Thank you! This is the information I was looking for!
Old Jul 27, 2016, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
We must stay that after the marketing barnum of the Spire Elite launch ...nothing tangible really happened.

Is it because negociations with franchises are difficult? Or is it just because Platinum level was too easy to reach?

Whatever, this (non) move seems very unprofessional.

Hope annoucements will come soon.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by nicolas75
We must stay that after the marketing barnum of the Spire Elite launch ...nothing tangible really happened.

Is it because negociations with franchises are difficult? Or is it just because Platinum level was too easy to reach?

Whatever, this (non) move seems very unprofessional.

Hope annoucements will come soon.
The only real difference I can see at most hotels for Spire is that almost all hotels now thank you for being a Spire member.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Wow I guess I better lower my hopes for any chances of different privileges!

Thanks for at least filling me in!
Old Jul 27, 2016, 7:52 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver - IHG Spire AMB - Hilton Gold - Choice Hotels Platinum - Hertz Gold FiveStar
Wow I guess I better lower my hopes for any chances of different privileges!

Thanks for at least filling me in!
I'm in the same boat as you as far as soon to be Spire, about 19K points or about 3 work trips for me.

As a Platinum Elite staying at mostly Holiday Inn or HIE locations across the US I've received a few room upgrades, nothing special but it's something. Also got upgraded to an upper floor with a strip view at the IC Palazzo Las Vegas, so you never know. But here's the thing, these are work trips that I don't pay for but rack up a ton of points (stays + IHG Promos) which I'll now use for personal family vacations so how can I complain.

Spire status will award even more bonus points on stays and the perk of 25K points or a Platinum gift level for a friend/family member according to the newest perks on IHG.

If you don't already have the Chase IHG credit card you should def look into it, but might want to wait until better bonus offer comes around again. I got mine Sept 2015 with a 80K bonus points offer, but on top of that the biggest perks are instant Platinum, 10% points rebate on all award stays and a FREE annual room cert all for a $49 annual fee (waived first year)... no brainer if you stay often in the IHG chain.

Don't let the stuffy travelers bring down your travels and perks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.