Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any luck getting expired points reinstated?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Another data point, and a request for help...

My brother is active duty military. While deployed, he had 53,000 points expire last September. He just realized this this weekend. I suggested he call in and ask for a one-time reinstatement. No dice. He called back today and spoke with a manager, who also wouldn't budge. I then called the Amabassador desk (I'm Spire Ambassador), and they looked into his case and saw notes from the manager, saying "no way"...they "couldn't" do it. She went on to confirm they'd gotten stricter on that recently...

Disappointing for sure. They didn't even ask us for proof of his active status (which we would have happily provided).

I'm not sure who else we might appeal to. If anyone has contacts they'd be willing to PM, I'd be grateful. TIA.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 2:46 pm

@DaveH I would contact a consumer rights advocate that focuses on travel.

Assuming they have even a modicum of competence at their jobs, IHG's PR team will sense the impending disaster and will override IHG Rewards.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Where do you see a warning that your points are about to expire/
Old Feb 11, 2019, 3:41 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
IHG sent out a reminder email about a month prior to expiration. Wasn't that much left so didn't act on it immediately. All gone now.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 4:09 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
IHG are not required to even notify you.

Alas one agrees when signing up to @Rewards to keep yourself upto date with current program t+c's, which for last 3years have covered the points expiring for non elites .
Old May 17, 2019, 11:20 pm
Original Member

Programs: Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by scubaccr
IHG are not required to even notify you.

Alas one agrees when signing up to @Rewards to keep yourself upto date with current program t+c's, which for last 3years have covered the points expiring for non elites .
You are correct ... but I do not believe it would take very much for IHG to send out a reminder email notifying a member of point expiry. They may even get some bookings from it. It would be good customer service

When I spoke to the member rep. I was told that they do send out reminder emails, but I did not receive one. When I asked why I ddin't receive one I was told my email invalid. I then asked her to send me an email to my email on file and I received it. So i am not sure if they do send out email or not.

In this case loyalty only appears to be uni-directional
Old May 19, 2019, 10:51 pm

Programs: Priority Club
Originally Posted by Rad456
You are correct ... but I do not believe it would take very much for IHG to send out a reminder email notifying a member of point expiry. They may even get some bookings from it. It would be good customer service

When I spoke to the member rep. I was told that they do send out reminder emails, but I did not receive one. When I asked why I ddin't receive one I was told my email invalid. I then asked her to send me an email to my email on file and I received it. So i am not sure if they do send out email or not.

In this case loyalty only appears to be uni-directional
Since when did IHG and good customer service ever get mentioned in the same paragraph in a positive way? They must have the same management as their IT Department.

UKD
Old Jan 23, 2021, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Owen Griffiths
Class action is being commenced on this issue. Merchant Law Group.
Did anything come of this? From what I've read there are lots of people that were never notified by IHG who lost their points (that were advertised as never expiring when we signed up) so it seems like there's a good case at least as a group bringing this to the FTC.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 11:09 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Easiest way to extend is to make a reservation, I typically wait one day and cancel. And you reset the clock
RedSun likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 11:23 am

Good tip and I would have gladly done that. But since they said points never expire, I never set a reminder to check on points. If they were as up front like other companies and said they expire in 2 years and I didn't do something, it's my fault. In this case it's IHG's fault.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 5:17 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I only have 18k points left. The 12-month is one of the shortest hotel program expiry. Chase controls the only credit card for IHG (horrible CC on its own). The only transfer program is from Chase UR, which is horrible rate. I have no ability to combine those points with anything. The only option is for the point+cash to use.

IHG reward program is solidly in #4 or even #5 spot. Even the Radisson Club is somehow better. Wish Radisson has more properties.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 7:37 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by RedSun
I only have 18k points left. The 12-month is one of the shortest hotel program expiry. Chase controls the only credit card for IHG (horrible CC on its own). The only transfer program is from Chase UR, which is horrible rate. I have no ability to combine those points with anything. The only option is for the point+cash to use.
There's typically been some sort of non-hotel stay burn option to reset the clock and I've never really had an issue figuring out some sort of account activity to reset the expiration date.

If you want a really awful expiration policy, try Accor where the only published way to reset the point expiration date is with an actual hotel stay. And they're been far stingier than anyone else when it comes to Covid extensions.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 8:21 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by beachmouse
There's typically been some sort of non-hotel stay burn option to reset the clock and I've never really had an issue figuring out some sort of account activity to reset the expiration date.

If you want a really awful expiration policy, try Accor where the only published way to reset the point expiration date is with an actual hotel stay. And they're been far stingier than anyone else when it comes to Covid extensions.
Then that would be really bad. I still like most of the Paramount hotels....
Old Oct 20, 2023, 12:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Data point: 10/18/2023 my points were to expire, but were still present today 10/20/2023

I immediately made a few bookings to use all the points

Not clear if the remaining points will be forfeited, OR, if the bookings I've made will be forfeited if I cancel them. I do assume all bookings will be honored
Old Oct 23, 2023, 4:17 pm

Programs: BAEC, Flying Club, HHonors, Gold Passport, IHG Rewards, Le Club Accor, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by scubaccr
All reports are IHG no longer willing to reinstate

Also if you had elite status, Gold or higher (so 10nights in a year), you don't lose points whilst still an elite , and further will not lose points in the 12months of dropping to non elite 'club' level.
Just to confirm, you only lose points after 12 months of no stays when you're without status? Asking on behalf of my father who has around 250k points who had his last stay in April this year. He is currently a Platinum after dropping from Diamond last year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.