Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any luck getting expired points reinstated?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: Ihg
Originally Posted by dtremit
I'm not exactly certain this is what I used -- but if you go to:

https://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/content/us/en/home

and scroll to the bottom, there's a link that says "Need help?" that directs you to a virtual assistant. That says it can get you a live agent if needed, and looks sort of familiar.

Also, make sure you're calling the Rewards Club customer service number, not the main one.
Thanks for your response. I did contact the live chat through the link you sent. they are saying the same thing, that nothing could be done once points expired. I called twice yesterday the reward club customer service 888-211-9874. They told me the same thing. it looks like all the calls are answered by people with the same accent. And they are not even trying. they all repeat the same thing over and over again.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: Ihg
@dtremit
The live chat told me the same thing. that nothing can be done.
I called couple of times the reward club customer service 888-211-9874 (talked to 3 level of customer service), and they all seem to be reading the same script that once point expired they cant be restored.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by doxnyc
@yapak2, Who did you send the email to? I would love to get 80k+ points back. I called the customer service 800 number, I was told tough luck!
oh dear, quite some time ago. But i think i ended up speaking to a german rep using the german number. but i am not 100% sure anymore.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:48 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by doxnyc
@dtremit
The live chat told me the same thing. that nothing can be done.
I called couple of times the reward club customer service 888-211-9874 (talked to 3 level of customer service), and they all seem to be reading the same script that once point expired they cant be restored.
This is now 2years in since the change Feb2016 to have dormant/unused @Rewards accounts losing points from March2016 onwards

IHG made exceptions and restored points for some members in summer 2016 when resets first hit accounts, but as now in a second year of resetting unused accounts the stance seems to now be no restoration possible/allowed.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 6:09 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
delete..

Last edited by Flying Machine; Jul 28, 2017 at 7:10 am Reason: found the appropiate thread to post in..
Old May 24, 2018, 2:58 pm

2018 update.
I haven't had any IHG activity in 13 months and I noticed my account went completely blank. No points and no stay history.

Their interactive chat as this autocomplete and autoresponse:
Once my points have expired, do I have any way of getting them back?
Once points expire, this is a situation where we are unable to recover them. You can find additional information on how to maintain an active account and prevent your points from expiring by visiting our Maintain Points page.

If you have any additional questions regarding your points balance, contact the IHG® Rewards Club Service Center for assistance.
Old May 25, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by davie355
2018 update.
I haven't had any IHG activity in 13 months and I noticed my account went completely blank. No points and no stay history.

Their interactive chat as this autocomplete and autoresponse:
Once my points have expired, do I have any way of getting them back?
Once points expire, this is a situation where we are unable to recover them. You can find additional information on how to maintain an active account and prevent your points from expiring by visiting our Maintain Points page.

If you have any additional questions regarding your points balance, contact the IHG® Rewards Club Service Center for assistance.
All reports are IHG no longer willing to reinstate

Also if you had elite status, Gold or higher (so 10nights in a year), you don't lose points whilst still an elite , and further will not lose points in the 12months of dropping to non elite 'club' level.
turner32 likes this.
Old May 26, 2018, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by scubaccr
All reports are IHG no longer willing to reinstate

Also if you had elite status, Gold or higher (so 10nights in a year), you don't lose points whilst still an elite , and further will not lose points in the 12months of dropping to non elite 'club' level.
Cant say I’m surprised at this, it’s been three years now since the policy changed. It’s not something new anymore and whilst it may sound harsh people should probably know the drill by now.
turner32 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: IHG Rewards
Class action is being commenced on this issue. Merchant Law Group.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by chrism20

Cant say I’m surprised at this, it’s been three years now since the policy changed. It’s not something new anymore and whilst it may sound harsh people should probably know the drill by now.
My apple wallet showed 24k points. I finally went to use them today, only to find out my points are 0. So I certainly didn't know, and am now pretty upset to find out my points balance is empty.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by BThumme
My apple wallet showed 24k points. I finally went to use them today, only to find out my points are 0. So I certainly didn't know, and am now pretty upset to find out my points balance is empty.
Sorry but I stand by what I’ve said, this isn’t something new anymore and as the customer it’s our responsibility to make sure we know how our account works.

If you have your balance in apple wallet you obviously also have the app and there is reference to having to earn or redeem within a twelve month period seven times in the member benefits section alone.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 1:49 pm

Same thing happened to me. Customer service and escalation went nowhere. Tried a couple of online source, same rigid response.

Trying this route to see what happens

elliott.org/company-contacts/intercontinental-hotels/
Old Dec 21, 2018, 5:19 am

Programs: AA, DL, TK
I'm in the same boat. November statement had all my points, no mention of an expiry date, and my booked stay was just a few weeks later (before the December statement). I'll check out the above links. Some sort of warning would have been appreciated.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Gerbs
Some sort of warning would have been appreciated.
Exactly this, it's a basic gesture of decency and customer friendliness.

Now that I have been insulted and my points drained, what incentive do I have to choose IHG?
Gerbs likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA MM 1K, UK Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb
If points are transferred "in" from a Platinum family member will it count as qualifying activity and reset the 12 month date?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.