Welcome Amenity

Old Apr 28, 16, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Rewards Club, Marriott Rewards
Welcome Amenity

I am a former IHG employee. I was a front desk supervisor for an IHG managed property in Jacksonville, Florida.

Can anyone confirm for me, because I've never known for sure, do welcome amenities apply to Gold, Platinum and Spire Elite members even during reward night stays? I am a platinum member and would like to know if I can expect the 500 points even on reward nights.

Thank you!
Old Apr 28, 16, 2:04 pm

I received the points on an award stay last month. Stayed one night at the Pensacola Beach Gulf Front on March 5, and 500 points was credited to my account on March 8.

I have another award stay coming up next month, we will see what happens.

YMMV though.
Old Apr 28, 16, 2:54 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
The twice I've redeemed for a reward stay at a CP I've been given amenity points
Old Apr 28, 16, 3:13 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
In the US I have always been offered my choice of welcome amenity and most times the points have even posted.

Even on paid stays elsewhere in the world I have had questionable fruit or candy given to me without a choice of points even on paid stays.
Old Apr 28, 16, 3:54 pm

Programs: DL SM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott/SPG Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by StevensFirstPrint View Post
I am a former IHG employee. I was a front desk supervisor for an IHG managed property in Jacksonville, Florida.

Can anyone confirm for me, because I've never known for sure, do welcome amenities apply to Gold, Platinum and Spire Elite members even during reward night stays? I am a platinum member and would like to know if I can expect the 500 points even on reward nights.

Thank you!
Should you expect them? No.
May you get them? Maybe.
Old Apr 28, 16, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

I just called IHG and a rep confirmed for me that regardless of whether it is a paid stay or not a Platinum or Gold member is supposed to receive a welcome amenity.

We'll see what happens! Thank you everyone for your input.
kaka likes this.
Old May 1, 16, 9:04 pm

E-Mail from IHG Rewards Club;

Dear Mr. (My Last Name),

Thank you for contacting IHG Rewards Club regarding your Platinum Elite account. We appreciate the opportunity to assist you with your concern.

Since most hotels are privately owned and/or operated, in-house bonus points such as Welcome Amenity Points are under the hotel's discretion. While most IHG Rewards Club participating hotels award Welcome Amenity Points, some may not. We hope this clarifies your query.

Your comments are valued and we appreciate the time that you took to contact our office. If you feel that your concerns were not addressed, please email us back and we will make things right for you.

Sincerely,

Katherene B. Bustarga
Customer Care Representative
IHG Rewards Club
www.ihgrewardsclub.com
Old May 2, 16, 12:55 am

I have never understood the criteria for welcome points. In some regions they do offer you points, in some not. Sometimes some brands do offer points, sometimes not.
Old May 2, 16, 3:09 am

Programs: Some, not all.
The fact that a (former) front desk supervisor doesn't know what the policy is speaks volumes
Old May 2, 16, 5:30 am

Programs: DL SM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott/SPG Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by 21H21J View Post
The fact that a (former) front desk supervisor doesn't know what the policy is speaks volumes
Not really. He could have been one in 2002.
Old May 2, 16, 9:28 am

I was a front desk supervisor in 2014! I was there when they started these "universal" welcome amenities. I worked at a Candlewood Suites and before the "universal" welcome amenities we gave everyone from Club to Platinum a Hershey's Chocolate Bar and a Bottle of Water. You should have seen how many times a mean person becomes a nice person when you give them chocolate.
Old May 8, 16, 2:38 pm

Programs: IHG
In Europe it varies widely

Just when I started using IHG more than once a year about 5 years ago at club level I visited one hotel maybe 4 times in 12 months and same front desk staff I saw each time. The second time I got a special welcome back letter, the third time I got a chocolate bar and fourth time offer of points and a drink and a snack. The fourth time I was very close to being a gold member but not quite (under the old qualifying rules of 15 nights or 15,000 points) so there clearly is some discretion used by hotels

As a Gold member now and who expects to hit platinum this year, I have been in some IHG properties where I have been treated as a regular guest (even regular key card holder) the rewards club was not mentioned. When I asked for late check out I was told I only had a small number of points, which was true, I only had about 1,500 but I just spent 30,000 on pointbreaks. It was seriously flawed logic that they based it on just current points rather than qualifying nights and points. I then got a survey from IHG about the stay and said the feedback and they gave me a few hundred extra points.

Other places I get a room in a floor for Rewards Club members only, get the better rooms saved for me, a more personal check in, welcome letters, snacks, bonus points. I even got an upgrade once despite the fact Gold shouldn't really be getting that. I don't think it's a co-incidence that the better IHG properties I have stayed in have been on the ball with the rewards club stuff whereas the ones which I have found to be more average have shown no interest in recognizing loyalty at least at gold level

Once I booked a room as a gold member, a friend as a club, and another friend booked one without membership the same afternoon bit silly way to do it really but that is what they did. It was noticeable that I got a room on the top floor, with fully refurbished room in like new condition, the club member got the middle floor which was in good condition but not perfect, whereas the non member got a ground floor room which had seen better days.
Old May 8, 16, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Yes, you should get the points on award stays. I've never run across a property that made a point of denigrating them.
Old May 9, 16, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire, Bonvoy Plat, Hertz P.C., GE/NEXUS
IME it was always YMMV, in the US I've always gotten the welcome points at HIX & CP (I pretty much only stay at HIX and CP's). In Asia I've gotten nothing at times and other times everything + the kitchen sink (upgrades, fruit, sparkling water, welcome drink, welcome points). In Europe usually I'll get the 600 points at CP and nothing else.
Old Aug 6, 17, 3:07 am
alc

Did a few quick search and can't find my answer and thought it is best to post it on this old thread:

I am Spire Ambassador (what what its worth ) Do you get for the Welcome Amenity at an IC? If so, how many points ?

The check-in clerk didn't ask me what I want and when I inquiry the night staff and all he said is that it had been noted I want the points. At others (HI, HIX, CP, etc...) if the points are indeed going to post automatically, I normally get the points before I even arrive at my room. So, before I send an email to ambassador email support, thought to check to ensure I do suppose to get something.

Thanks.

Search this Thread