Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC The Barclay New York Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2018, 4:51 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb., Marriott Gold, FB Plat, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by ARR72
When using the Ambassador Weekend Certificate, will one get charged the resort fee for both nights or just the first?
For some reason I didn't pay any resort fee's last weekend, when I was using my Amb. Cert. Used some F&B credit, but wasn't charged for it as well.

Don't count on an upgrade. I had booked a Club King Room (description says starting at 300sq feet). They told me they've upgraded me to Premier King (description says starting at 300sq feet).
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jongesander
For some reason I didn't pay any resort fee's last weekend, when I was using my Amb. Cert. Used some F&B credit, but wasn't charged for it as well.

Don't count on an upgrade. I had booked a Club King Room (description says starting at 300sq feet). They told me they've upgraded me to Premier King (description says starting at 300sq feet).
As noted in the posts in this thread from late-August 2017, the hotel has an odd upgrade philosophy if you book a Club Room. When you book a Club Room, it is supposedly to a base room with club access (despite what the room description on the website says) and any upgrade would be to a not-base room with club access.

In practice, I'm willing to believe that anybody who books a Club Room gets something higher than a base room (I have no evidence of this, other than common sense).

I think it's just a ploy to keep Ambassadors from booking the highest-tier guestrooms and upgrading to suites. I'm curious to see what upgrades an Ambassador gets if they book the level beneath a Club Room (Barclay King).
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jongesander

Was this a recent booking or one made a while ago before they brought in the resort fee? Mine was made many months ago, if I get free F&B credit that'll be even better
Old Oct 13, 2018, 12:43 pm

Just to update - stay completed here using AMB 2nd night free cert.
Was charged as per original booking, with no resort fee and no charges for 2nd night.
Given two vouchers for drinks up to $20ea at the bar, booked Deluxe King and upgraded to Premier King.
patmcpsu likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum (3 Million Miler), IHG Spire Royal Amdassador
Just checked out of the IC Barclay this morning. I asked the Front Desk agent if the Resort Fee is waived for Royal Ambassadors (or with the Federal Government rate). She said no to both and I mentioned that IC Times Square does waive the fee for RA. She said no again, but to check with the Ambassador desk. The Ambassador desk agent said that absolutely RAs get the resort fee waived and promptly adjusted my bill.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Hmm, seems even after years being open the front desk staff is still as clueless or b*llsh*t prone as before. A bloody disgrace.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:28 pm

Having completed three stays in the last 10 months post renovation it is clear to me this property doesn't cut it. They are consistently rubbish at applying common sense combined with a customer focused experience.

- The general attitude at front desk/check-in is one of great indifference. Staff seem to hate their job. Exception is the lady in the Club lounge, who appears to have been trained in hospitality.
- Checked in as RA last week. Booked basic room, got an Exec which is strictly 2 cats up. However, room was on the 5th floor. Cmon... at least put a regular RA on a high floor.
I asked for a higher floor and sure, no problem. Same room but on the 14th floor instead. Only problem, it was just by the lifts, and it had useless sound proofing towards the street. It was like midtown was inside the room.
- There were glasses outside our room on arrival. I mentioned this three times to staff. Never cleared.
- Mini-bar sounded like a broken transistor. "eeeeeeeennngg" sound. Complained. Had a note later saying it was fixed. Sure, for about 2 hours. Then it started again.

All the small issues add up and paint a picture. They don't care. As long as rooms fill up with package vacations and aggregator business things won't change.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
A real shame, because I thought this was one of the nicer upmarket hotels in NYC. At check in I possibly got lucky and had somebody quite nice. But on the day of leaving, when I had to ask something (like leaving luggage in the storage room), indifference would be a nice way to describe it. Check out was equally offhand. I found it quite unusual for the US, but I find upmarket hotels to be the epitome of snobbery over there.
Petrus likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:08 pm

Just booked a two-night stay in a club room. Can I expect an upgrade to a suite as ambassador or is this going to be a case for the newly introduced 10k points flat compensation? Any news on the club offerings? (opening time / which drinks are offered?)

Thanks!
Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Mystery7
Just booked a two-night stay in a club room. Can I expect an upgrade to a suite as ambassador or is this going to be a case for the newly introduced 10k points flat compensation? Any news on the club offerings? (opening time / which drinks are offered?)

Thanks!
This thread has discussed this exact upgrade scenario at length. You should check earlier posts.

In short: Don't get your hopes up. This hotel defines a "club room", as a standard room with club access. Your upgrade would therefore be an above-standard room with club access.
Mystery7 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by patmcpsu
This thread has discussed this exact upgrade scenario at length. You should check earlier posts.

In short: Don't get your hopes up. This hotel defines a "club room", as a standard room with club access. Your upgrade would therefore be an above-standard room with club access.
Sorry about that - just checked the whole thread. As already anticipated probably a case for the new guarantee. Any updates on the drink selection and/or opening/closing times though?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 3:59 am

Don't see how it would be eligible for the new guarantee if they manage to give you a slightly nicer club room (under their existing setup)?
patmcpsu likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by EDIflyer
Don't see how it would be eligible for the new guarantee if they manage to give you a slightly nicer club room (under their existing setup)?
Exactly. The Barclay has so many room-types that it's easy to provide a one-level upgrade to something with an extra ~20 sq ft. I enjoy The Barclay, but not for its upgrade-potential.
EDIflyer and vsevolod4 like this.

Last edited by patmcpsu; Jan 17, 2019 at 10:37 am
Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by EDIflyer
It is my understanding that only the bookable categories on IHG will count. As there is no category between Club InterContinental Room and their entry-level Suite - this seems like an obvious case.
The website states the following terms:

Enjoy an upgrade to a superior room at check in, each time you stay. Superior room is defined as one category higher than purchased.
Will definitely report back.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
Good news is not charged a resort fee as a RA!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.