Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC The Barclay New York Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2018, 6:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Have a two-night stay in NYC coming up and was considering one night here and one night at the IC Times Square, since I've never stayed at either property. What can a non-Ambassador Platinum expect at this property? Is mass transit to EWR faster/easier from this IC or the IC Times Square? Thanks.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by joe_miami
Have a two-night stay in NYC coming up and was considering one night here and one night at the IC Times Square, since I've never stayed at either property. What can a non-Ambassador Platinum expect at this property? Is mass transit to EWR faster/easier from this IC or the IC Times Square? Thanks.
Having stated at the IC Times a couple of times as both an AMB PLT and just as a PLT, The AMB is worth the price for the Free Night, and we were upgraded to a higher floor, as PLT they thanked me for being a PLT and that was it. I wouldn't move from one hotel to other, spend the time exploring the city, each hotel has its plus and minus.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Have a stay on an AMB weekend cert here in October. Went to see if any change in rates - room rate seems the same but for a two night stay it's now quoting "Additional charges: 68.86 USD".

There's extra detail stating:
Additional Charges: 34.43 USD per night not included in rate effective 5 October, 2018 thru 7 October, 2018
Taxes: 14.75% per night and 3.50 USD not included in rate effective 5 October, 2018 thru 7 October, 2018
USD 2 OCCUPANCY TAX USD 1.50 JAVITS CENTER FEE
Daily Destination Fee includes $25 Food & Beverage Credit per day, $15 Laundry/Dry Cleaning Credit per day, Premium High-Speed Internet Service per day, Free Local & International Calls, daily value, VIP Passes for discounts at Bloomingdales and The Shops at Columbus Circle, Time Warner Center
This doesn't show up on the PDF I saved at the time of my booking confirmation (in April) - anyone seen any announcement about this being charged? (searched this thread but couldn't see) Will certainly be challenging them on it if it is charged at checkout given it wasn't there when I booked!
Old Jun 19, 2018, 7:03 pm

Programs: BAEC:Silver ,IHG:Spire Amb ,QR:Silver,HH:Diamond
I have just checked my reservation for July 15th and sure enough on the app there is an estimated additional charge of $34.43 . I have my original reservation email from 28th March and the charge is certainly not on that .

Its bad enough imposing these fake charges to begin with but to add it to previous bookings without any consent is downright fraudulent .

I will not be paying it .
EDIflyer and ChinaShrek like this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami
Have stayed at both as a non-status member - totally different hotels. Barclay is a grand hotel of the early 20th century (lower-rise, long hallways), beautiful, small rooms with "antique" touches. Times Square is a sleek glass high-rise, generally larger rooms that don't feel particularly unique (like other IC's, or even other newer high-end Hilton/Hyatts). Can't go wrong with either but I felt that the Barclay is more "special" - purely personal preference. TS in lively hectic area 24/7, whereas Barclay in corporate Midtown East, gets quiet on weekend nights.

Easier to get to EWR from IC TS - walk 10 blocks down 8th Av. to Penn Station to get on NJ Transit train. From Barclay, would have to ride the "E" subway across town to reach Penn Station. There are also bus options (e.g. "Newark Airport Express" with stops near both hotels, but again, from Barclay the ride is longer; you'll practically pass the IC TS on the way to EWR).
joe_miami likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 2:21 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb., Marriott Gold, FB Plat, BAEC Silver
I have booked a King Club room, using a AMB cert. Which room will I get after the Ambassador upgrade?
Old Aug 12, 2018, 3:16 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Honors Gold
Originally Posted by EDIflyer
Have a stay on an AMB weekend cert here in October. Went to see if any change in rates - room rate seems the same but for a two night stay it's now quoting "Additional charges: 68.86 USD".
I've just done the same thing (but for a stay in September) and noticed the new resort fee too. Has anyone stayed there since the introduction of the fee and been asked to pay it for a reservation that was made before the fee was introduced?
Old Aug 12, 2018, 6:18 pm

Programs: BAEC:Silver ,IHG:Spire Amb ,QR:Silver,HH:Diamond
Originally Posted by voodoofish
I've just done the same thing (but for a stay in September) and noticed the new resort fee too. Has anyone stayed there since the introduction of the fee and been asked to pay it for a reservation that was made before the fee was introduced?
Yes I stayed on 15th July . I questioned the resort fee charge at check in and the FD clerk said that the amount she could see was the original rate without the resort fees ,even though it was still clearly shown on the IHG app . There was no problem at all and the original rate was charged .

For what its worth I booked an Executive King and was upgraded as ambassador to a Barclay King . Other than it being high floor and on a corner with 2 windows , I don't think the room was much bigger than a basic room would have been . I also received 2 x $20 drink vouchers for the lobby bar ambassador welcome amenity .
EDIflyer and voodoofish like this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Honors Gold
Originally Posted by crombiestone
Yes I stayed on 15th July . I questioned the resort fee charge at check in and the FD clerk said that the amount she could see was the original rate without the resort fees ,even though it was still clearly shown on the IHG app . There was no problem at all and the original rate was charged .
Great, thank you! I feel much better knowing I shouldn't have to fight them to get the original reservation honoured.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:48 pm

Programs: MAR Lifetime Platinum, Delta Plat., IHG Spire Amb., Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Any recent reviews?

How might a Spire Ambassador staying on points get treated?

Looking for upgrades, maybe larger room, maybe club access.

Yes, I know it's a separate program, I'm an Ambassador.
ARR72 likes this.

Last edited by FLYGVA; Aug 28, 2018 at 11:11 pm
Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:03 am

I'm looking at stay at the IC Barclay in October and use my free night certificate(I'm an ambassador). However, Even Hotel is fairly close by and would end up being a lot less expensive(by using points).
Now, before someone jumps on me, I know you can't compare and Even hotel with an IC. However, I'm a little worried with what people have been saying about the service provided to ambassadors and at the hotel as a whole. I don't want to pay a bunch more for what will turn out to not be a better service experience. The Even hotel may not have as good of service as IC or the amenities, but it also doesn't have a destination fee and is significantly less. I don't mind paying for good service, but with IC I expect a good experience and more than I do for an Even hotel so my expectations are just very different.
I guess what I am asking, is it worth it to stay at the IC for a few days or would it be better to just adjust my expectations anyway and stay somewhere cheaper because I'm not going to get a good product even though I'm paying more.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by Milhous Gloriosus
Looking for upgrades, maybe larger room, maybe club access.

Yes, I know it's a separate program, I'm an Ambassador.
you will not get club access. And if you book a superior room , you’ll get something like a deluxe room. They’re really stingy you probably will not notice the “upgrade” (I’ve stayed there maybe 10 times as Spire Amb).

good luck!
Old Aug 24, 2018, 3:50 pm

Programs: FB Plat, BlueBiz, IHG Spire Amb & Biz Rewards, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dez3b
I'm looking at stay at the IC Barclay in October and use my free night certificate(I'm an ambassador). However, Even Hotel is fairly close by and would end up being a lot less expensive(by using points).
Now, before someone jumps on me, I know you can't compare and Even hotel with an IC. However, I'm a little worried with what people have been saying about the service provided to ambassadors and at the hotel as a whole. I don't want to pay a bunch more for what will turn out to not be a better service experience. The Even hotel may not have as good of service as IC or the amenities, but it also doesn't have a destination fee and is significantly less. I don't mind paying for good service, but with IC I expect a good experience and more than I do for an Even hotel so my expectations are just very different.
I guess what I am asking, is it worth it to stay at the IC for a few days or would it be better to just adjust my expectations anyway and stay somewhere cheaper because I'm not going to get a good product even though I'm paying more.
Stay at EVEN and keep the $$'s, or go to the IC Times Square. I stayed in both IC's approx. 50 nights in the past couple years and always had a much better service/upgrades in IC TS.

The Barclay is a beautiful property, but has a union issue that causes bad service (specifically in the dining room), every time I stayed there was an issue and weird vibes.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:13 pm
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

For your information:
A few post were unnecessary and therefore have been deleted.

FLYGVA
co-moderator IHG Forum
Old Sep 18, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA Platinum; IHG Diamond Ambassador
When using the Ambassador Weekend Certificate, will one get charged the resort fee for both nights or just the first?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.