Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC The Barclay New York Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2016, 1:14 pm

Programs: IHG
Originally Posted by Petrus
Wait... so I booked an Executive King, and my booking has been modified to a Barclay King. Effectively a downgrade?
After reading further in this thread, and the dire reviews on IHG.com I'll cancel this stay and try the East Village Indigo instead.
Barclay King is actually a one level upgrade, but yes, i'm just reading reviews from the past week, and they are appalling. Especially from guests with status. Why have things gone so rapidly downhill after the renovation..?
Old Aug 2, 2016, 1:48 pm

I think they hired a lot of random people, not sure where they all came from...
Very random service. We have been there 3 times since re-opening
and as much as we like the new rooms, some FO people are simply rude.
Some are wonderful. Most requests are forgotten.
Tons of after-reno problems with AC not working, power sockets not working etc.
Zero recognition as far as getting water etc - never got any.

They have only a few suites so they don't upgrade anyone to those.
Executive rooms are great and big enough. Our rooms have always been quiet.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Folks, as has been posted here for a year now, don't stay here until the renovation is complete if you don't want to be disappointed in some way. The only reason I managed to get s suite was because I checked in late on a one night stay. Otherwise it probably isn't going to happen. That has nothing to do with elite recognition and everything to do with a rather small inventory. Again, THEY ARE STILL RENOVATING THIS HOTEL! There is an entire floor that hasn't been finished and none of the top suites are open yet. So all the remaining suites are simply not going to be available for a while.

If however you are fine with the exec room and willing to pay for Club, it is a rather nice hotel. Or you could of course, pay for a suite.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 6:18 am

Programs: BA GGL, NH SFC, IHG Diamond, Radisson VIP, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by turner32
Barclay King is actually a one level upgrade, but yes, i'm just reading reviews from the past week, and they are appalling. Especially from guests with status. Why have things gone so rapidly downhill after the renovation..?
That's what I got as a Royal Ambassador. I was however told it's a double-upgrade. Another noticeable benefit was to choose one welcome gift out of 3-4 gift options.

I have been told that the Guest Relation Manager has been transferred from the IC Dubai Festive City quite recently (she is using a "gmail" account as there is a issue with her email...), I assume she made such changes. I do remember RAs choose one benefits from several options at the Dubai IC.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Dark Blue
That's what I got as a Royal Ambassador. I was however told it's a double-upgrade. Another noticeable benefit was to choose one welcome gift out of 3-4 gift options.

I have been told that the Guest Relation Manager has been transferred from the IC Dubai Festive City quite recently (she is using a "gmail" account as there is a issue with her email...), I assume she made such changes. I do remember RAs choose one benefits from several options at the Dubai IC.
What I don't like is that water and fruits are part of the Ambassador benefits, making them as an option of the welcome gift as mentioned by many here, is just wrong.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 10:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum (3 Million Miler), IHG Spire Royal Amdassador
I stayed here as a Royal Ambassador last night (for one night only). Arrived at 5pm, Front Desk agent (very aloof and uninterested) did not recognize me as RA. I see that other people got a choice as a welcome amenity? I got nothing (wasn't asked if I was interested in purchasing Lounge access, either).

Booked a deluxe king on a govt rate and received an "upgrade" to King Exec. The room was small with no desk and on the third floor with a view of the Marriott awning. Since it was on the lowest floor possible for rooms, it was extremely dark with a lot of street noise and a very disappointing upgrade. The robe, slippers, and mini bar were awesome, though!

I left the hotel and came back over 4 hours later (after 9pm) and still hadn't received fruit/water or welcome letter. Called the front desk to let them know and they said they'd put a rush on it. About 30 minutes later, I got the fruit (one plum, one banana, about 20 tiny grapes). I almost thought it was a joke.

At 5 minutes to 11pm, I got a knock on the door, asking if I wanted turndown service. Seriously, at almost 11pm? I know it's New York City where people stay out late, but really? I was already in bed.

When I left my car with the valet yesterday, they said to let them know about 15mins before I needed the car. I was planning on checking out by 145pm today so gave the valet my ticket at 130pm so my car would be ready when I was. He said he couldn't do anything with it until I checked out and the desk agent filled out the back of the ticket. After several minutes of discussion, he finally agreed to get my car while I went to check out, but he wasn't happy about it.

There were about 6 people in line ahead of me with only 3 Front Desk people working. Two out of three guests being waited on were having issues. It took about 15 minutes before I was finally able to check out (yes, valet came looking for me). I was not recognized as an RA when checking out but I mentioned how disappointed I was with the RA upgrade, recognition and benefits (she admitted she wasn't aware that I was RA and then double checked). I also mentioned that since I've always gotten a pretty good room upgrade at IC Times Square, I'd probably stay there again next time. The agent then said she'd credit my IHG account with 1500 points and gave me the GM's business card to provide feedback.

The hotel is beautiful and in a great location, but I doubt I'll ever stay there again. It was just too disappointing.

Last edited by VaBeachGirl; Aug 3, 2016 at 10:09 pm
Old Aug 4, 2016, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Those 1500 points are the welcome amenity they forgot to give you at check in!

I would have asked for a rate discount in return for the upgrade you didn't get, ie paying only for the most basic room.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 7:30 am

I've just read some recent reviews, a member with Platinum status is reporting comped lounge access. Strange, considering how little RA's are receiving here..
Old Aug 13, 2016, 12:01 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, IHG RA, Globalist, ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by loyaltypointschaser
What I don't like is that water and fruits are part of the Ambassador benefits, making them as an option of the welcome gift as mentioned by many here, is just wrong.
Agreed: I chose that option and got a very large bowl of fruit and smallish bottle of both still and sparkling.

As I was on a last minute stay (cancelled flight) and the rate was $190 ++, I wasn't too unhappy. However, the excellent breakfast for one in the Bar was an eye watering $54.13 once tax and (non optional) 15% service added.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 8:31 am

I've just read some recent reviews, a member with Platinum status is reporting comped lounge access. Strange, considering how little RA's are receiving here..
Talking about lounge, has anyone here tried it? Thanks.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA PL, LY, HH Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Gold
I'm booked to stay here tomorrow night....
Old Aug 15, 2016, 4:02 pm

deleted.

Last edited by turner32; Sep 24, 2016 at 7:22 am
Old Aug 17, 2016, 8:01 am

I sent an email to these jokers enquiring about RA benefits for a stay around Christmas time. In response, no mention of upgrades and offered a 20% discount on lounge access. I told them i'd be staying elsewhere. - pathetic.
Well, at least they replied your email. I am only AMB I sent an email asking lounge opening hours and so far got ignored
Old Sep 17, 2016, 8:35 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
I realize the Elite treatment here is crap, but just booked 2 nights for September 30-October 2 (Friday to Sunday) for $159 a night. That's cheaper than, oh, the Days Inn JFK.
Yikes! So while expecting nothing as a Gold, very happy with location!
Old Sep 17, 2016, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by kyushuman
I realize the Elite treatment here is crap, but just booked 2 nights for September 30-October 2 (Friday to Sunday) for $159 a night. That's cheaper than, oh, the Days Inn JFK.
Yikes! So while expecting nothing as a Gold, very happy with location!
Crazy prices. I was looking at either IC TS or IC Barclay for a stay over Christmas. Barclay is half the price of IC TS...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.