Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC The Barclay New York Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2016, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Originally Posted by demue
Royal Ambassador's are entitled to an automatic upgrade to an Executive room.
I'd rather stay at the IC Times Square and get the RA upgrade to the skyview studio.
Old May 8, 2016, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66
I'd rather stay at the IC Times Square and get the RA upgrade to the skyview studio.
I am not impressed by both hard product and service at IC Times Square
Old May 10, 2016, 10:47 am

Programs: Motel 6 Super Diamond
I switched a free night stay from IC Times Square to here later this month. Does this hotel have an exec lounge? I'm debating getting Ambassador (currently just Spire) but fear that due to its newness, they may not provide any of the Ambassador benefits. I have another 3 night stay elsewhere where they seem to provide at least upgraded rooms on award stays so it wouldn't be just for this hotel.
Old May 11, 2016, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by turner32
Anyone stayed yet since the re-opening?
Yep ^. It is a VERY nice hotel, overall very handsome.

Paid stay as a Amb for a single night last Monday. Never stayed prior to the renovation so can't compare. Booked a Premier King and was upgraded to a Executive King. Wasn't in the room/hotel very much so didn't check out the hotel much.
Old May 11, 2016, 9:09 am

Was/is there an executive/club lounge?
Old May 11, 2016, 1:29 pm

Told there will be a executive club lounge opening towards end of June. $100+tax for Amb. No complementary access.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 6:29 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Super Diamond
I just had a quick 1 night stay as a Spire Ambassador on a free night stay from a promo from late last year.

Checked in 5/30 around 11PM. 1 clerk at the desk, no other customers in the lobby. Guy is very curt and unwelcoming. I honestly felt like I was intruding by his demeanor. He looked Latino. He did say I had been upgraded as an ambassador.

Room looked like a regular 2 double bed room, I guess may have been bigger vs a standard room. Was on 12th floor (out of 15 total, no 13th floor) facing other building with no views. There was nothing in the room about my ambassador gifts or status, no water, fruit, gift etc.

Tried calling the front desk and it kept ringing and ringing for over a minute each time. Perhaps our front desk clerk hated me so much he didn't want to speak to me again. Finally on the third try, I got someone else and she told me that the water will be sent up right away and that I should have been told about the gifts at this property upon check-in. The options are $20 minibar credit, 1500 pts, or a drink coupon at the bar and that she will confirm my 4PM checkout. (I needed to check out around 2PM)

The next morning, I asked for the general manager to complain about my check-in experience, played a bit of phone tag while I got breakfast (outside) and eventually spoke to the on-duty front desk manager who gave me 5000 pts as an apology for the ckeck-in experience.

The room itself is fine and understandably crisp because it's new. I did like the thick, fluffly towels very much (the tags on the towels said 'made for the IC Barclay'), the toiletries are standard Agraria from Sysco.

Overall, I would NOT return here. I'll try the Times Square location, the service can't possibly be worse than here.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Late on a holiday night - I would bet that the guy was a back office worker who was (reluctantly) covering the desk until the regular front office person returned.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I stayed in early May for 4 nights arriving 2 days after reopening. Had our fair share of issues with service and hardware, though some of it less of an issue and more of a nuisance. The rooms are well done up and we had Premier room (on reward nights) on a corner - end of hallway away from Lexington which was great as it had a good amount of light come in. The bathroom has been fully updated and the floor is heated which is great. It remains quite compact with a bit of lack of space to put toiletries, especially for the ladies .

Service overall needs work and polishing. It is not plain unwillingness, more that the entire operation needs to smoothen the rough edges and actually elevate attention to detail to a level required for this kind of hotel. For example, our room was not made up 2 days in a row even though the "Make up the room" sign was hung on the door and we were out for 10hrs. Now once maybe, but I called and highlighted it to house keeping and asked to ensure it is not skipped again, bit low and behold it was. Now that is plain careless and sloppy.

Check in didn't highlight Ambassador gift options either. I was told back then that I can get the usual fruit and water, 30$ minibar credit (not useful for RAs) or 1,500 points. I received 1,000 points posted as Welcome bonus and not 1,500. Go figure. We had a few other issues like aircon not switching to heating (fixed by maintenance quite quickly) and so forth, but don't want to stretch this too much. In the end the Director of Front Office made things right for us and the GM also took time to listen to us which was good and appreciated.

We liked the location far better than IC TS ( our friend stayed there) and the lobby and all looks very nice and still grand. We would certainly return, despite the issues encountered as we all know that it will take them a few months to smoothen out the rough edges.

Last edited by demue; Jun 22, 2016 at 2:46 am
Old Jun 21, 2016, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Just checked in, all a little bizarre so far.

Told I had been given 'a great upgrade' but from what I can tell I haven't got an upgrade at all. I booked an Exec (on points) and am certainly not in a Barclay Room as I only have the standard toiletries. I do have a corner room though.

I was told I was getting 1,500 points as an amenity. No mention of mini bar credit as an option.

No water, no fruit, no welcome gift in room.

No doorman out front and a revolving door which doesn't revolve by itself so you have to push it with your shoulder whilst carrying your own bags.

More bizarrely there are NO sockets by the desk. I have had to unplug the telephone to plug in the laptop I am typing this on. Who builds what is fundamentally a new hotel in 2016 and puts no sockets near the desk?!

On the positive side, they have clearly spent serious money on the furnishings here.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 2:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Hmm sounds like the "edges are still rough" - haha. The sockets part is plain a design oversight, we also noticed that and used the outlets at the table / desk instead. Silly.

The inconsistencies and haphazard service / unclear communications also seem to still persist. Regarding the AMB amenities, I had to call and inquire to be even informed that they would not be delivered to the room and that I needed to chose from 3 options first. Well great, why didn't the check in staff tell me about that? Took the points and got 1K vs. 1.5K promised which was later "covered" by getting a fair amount of "Thank You Points" as compensation for various smaller and larger issues / incidents.

Again, I think hardware (aside from the sockets part) is good and the hotel is well done and certainly has the best (softest, but still absorbent) towel I ever had at a hotel, but service still has a long way to go to reach 5* levels.

Regarding the bell hops it can be hit and miss. We arrived in a limo and by the time anyone took notice I had taken the bags out of the car and carried both through the revolving door. Oh joy. On another day we went out and it was raining and there were 2-3 guys at the bell desk and no person outside. You would think that when passing them they may ask if guests require an umbrella (none in the room), but ohh no you would be wrong.

Enjoy your stay Raffles - I hope it was just an initial "hick up".

Last edited by demue; Jun 22, 2016 at 3:16 am
Old Jun 22, 2016, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Raffles
Just checked in, all a little bizarre so far.

Told I had been given 'a great upgrade' but from what I can tell I haven't got an upgrade at all. I booked an Exec (on points) and am certainly not in a Barclay Room as I only have the standard toiletries. I do have a corner room though.

I was told I was getting 1,500 points as an amenity. No mention of mini bar credit as an option.

No water, no fruit, no welcome gift in room.

No doorman out front and a revolving door which doesn't revolve by itself so you have to push it with your shoulder whilst carrying your own bags.

More bizarrely there are NO sockets by the desk. I have had to unplug the telephone to plug in the laptop I am typing this on. Who builds what is fundamentally a new hotel in 2016 and puts no sockets near the desk?!

On the positive side, they have clearly spent serious money on the furnishings here.
Ok, it gets odder.

I asked the front desk and my room is a Barclay King. My reservation online shows this too.

Yet:

THE BARCLAY KING INVITES YOU TO UNWIND IN THE COMFORT OF YOUR ROOM, COMPLETE WITH MURAL ARTWORK REFLECTIVE OF THE HUDSON RIVER SCHOOL STYLE, COMPLIMENTARY WI-FI AND WATER, ASWELL AS CUSTOM TOILETRIES DELICATELY SCENTED WITH THE BARCLAYS OWN SIGNATURE FRAGRANCE BY CASWELL-MASSEY.

I don't have this! Agraria toiletries and the same artwork as other room categories shown online! No water either.

It also seems the guy who told me I was getting 1500 points as an amenity was simply trying to buy me off cheaply. Front desk confirmed I can have 2 drinks at the bar, $20 minibar or points. This replaces the fixed water and fruit amenity.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
It also seems the guy who told me I was getting 1500 points as an amenity was simply trying to buy me off cheaply. Front desk confirmed I can have 2 drinks at the bar, $20 minibar or points. This replaces the fixed water and fruit amenity.
It shouldn't. The water and fresh fruit benefit is completely separate from the in-room gift. You should get all three.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66
It shouldn't. The water and fresh fruit benefit is completely separate from the in-room gift. You should get all three.
I know that, they don't.

It is possible that they have adopted the new Ambassador benefits package from Day 1 though even though it won't be rolled out until later this year. What other IC offers $20 or 2 drinks (expensive here) instead of points after all?
Old Jun 22, 2016, 4:58 pm

the new Ambassador benefits package
Is there a thread about this?? I haven't heard anything about changes to benefits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.