IC The Barclay New York Master Thread

Reply

Old Jun 15, 18, 6:47 pm
  #241  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Miami, Florida
Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Posts: 2,754
Have a two-night stay in NYC coming up and was considering one night here and one night at the IC Times Square, since I've never stayed at either property. What can a non-Ambassador Platinum expect at this property? Is mass transit to EWR faster/easier from this IC or the IC Times Square? Thanks.
joe_miami is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 18, 12:28 pm
  #242  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Valley of the Sun
Programs: AA PLT, SPG PLT, IHG AMB PLT,
Posts: 10,742
Originally Posted by joe_miami View Post
Have a two-night stay in NYC coming up and was considering one night here and one night at the IC Times Square, since I've never stayed at either property. What can a non-Ambassador Platinum expect at this property? Is mass transit to EWR faster/easier from this IC or the IC Times Square? Thanks.
Having stated at the IC Times a couple of times as both an AMB PLT and just as a PLT, The AMB is worth the price for the Free Night, and we were upgraded to a higher floor, as PLT they thanked me for being a PLT and that was it. I wouldn't move from one hotel to other, spend the time exploring the city, each hotel has its plus and minus.
FlightNurse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 18, 10:27 am
  #243  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: UK
Programs: BD/BA G, VS G, SQ S, Hilton Honors D, IHG S/A, SPG G, CC G, Hertz PC
Posts: 3,625
Have a stay on an AMB weekend cert here in October. Went to see if any change in rates - room rate seems the same but for a two night stay it's now quoting "Additional charges: 68.86 USD".

There's extra detail stating:
Additional Charges: 34.43 USD per night not included in rate effective 5 October, 2018 thru 7 October, 2018
Taxes: 14.75% per night and 3.50 USD not included in rate effective 5 October, 2018 thru 7 October, 2018
USD 2 OCCUPANCY TAX USD 1.50 JAVITS CENTER FEE
Daily Destination Fee includes $25 Food & Beverage Credit per day, $15 Laundry/Dry Cleaning Credit per day, Premium High-Speed Internet Service per day, Free Local & International Calls, daily value, VIP Passes for discounts at Bloomingdales and The Shops at Columbus Circle, Time Warner Center
This doesn't show up on the PDF I saved at the time of my booking confirmation (in April) - anyone seen any announcement about this being charged? (searched this thread but couldn't see) Will certainly be challenging them on it if it is charged at checkout given it wasn't there when I booked!
EDIflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 18, 7:03 pm
  #244  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: El Gouna , Hurghada (HRG)
Programs: IHG:Plat Amb QR:Gold HH:Diamond
Posts: 347
I have just checked my reservation for July 15th and sure enough on the app there is an estimated additional charge of $34.43 . I have my original reservation email from 28th March and the charge is certainly not on that .

Its bad enough imposing these fake charges to begin with but to add it to previous bookings without any consent is downright fraudulent .

I will not be paying it .
EDIflyer and ChinaShrek like this.
crombiestone is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 18, 8:24 pm
  #245  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 97
Originally Posted by joe_miami View Post
Have a two-night stay in NYC coming up and was considering one night here and one night at the IC Times Square, since I've never stayed at either property. What can a non-Ambassador Platinum expect at this property? Is mass transit to EWR faster/easier from this IC or the IC Times Square? Thanks.
Have stayed at both as a non-status member - totally different hotels. Barclay is a grand hotel of the early 20th century (lower-rise, long hallways), beautiful, small rooms with "antique" touches. Times Square is a sleek glass high-rise, generally larger rooms that don't feel particularly unique (like other IC's, or even other newer high-end Hilton/Hyatts). Can't go wrong with either but I felt that the Barclay is more "special" - purely personal preference. TS in lively hectic area 24/7, whereas Barclay in corporate Midtown East, gets quiet on weekend nights.

Easier to get to EWR from IC TS - walk 10 blocks down 8th Av. to Penn Station to get on NJ Transit train. From Barclay, would have to ride the "E" subway across town to reach Penn Station. There are also bus options (e.g. "Newark Airport Express" with stops near both hotels, but again, from Barclay the ride is longer; you'll practically pass the IC TS on the way to EWR).
joe_miami likes this.
orvando is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 18, 2:21 pm
  #246  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Netherlands
Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb.
Posts: 193
I have booked a King Club room, using a AMB cert. Which room will I get after the Ambassador upgrade?
jongesander is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 18, 3:16 pm
  #247  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: London
Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Honors Gold
Posts: 42
Originally Posted by EDIflyer View Post
Have a stay on an AMB weekend cert here in October. Went to see if any change in rates - room rate seems the same but for a two night stay it's now quoting "Additional charges: 68.86 USD".
I've just done the same thing (but for a stay in September) and noticed the new resort fee too. Has anyone stayed there since the introduction of the fee and been asked to pay it for a reservation that was made before the fee was introduced?
voodoofish is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 18, 6:18 pm
  #248  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: El Gouna , Hurghada (HRG)
Programs: IHG:Plat Amb QR:Gold HH:Diamond
Posts: 347
Originally Posted by voodoofish View Post
I've just done the same thing (but for a stay in September) and noticed the new resort fee too. Has anyone stayed there since the introduction of the fee and been asked to pay it for a reservation that was made before the fee was introduced?
Yes I stayed on 15th July . I questioned the resort fee charge at check in and the FD clerk said that the amount she could see was the original rate without the resort fees ,even though it was still clearly shown on the IHG app . There was no problem at all and the original rate was charged .

For what its worth I booked an Executive King and was upgraded as ambassador to a Barclay King . Other than it being high floor and on a corner with 2 windows , I don't think the room was much bigger than a basic room would have been . I also received 2 x $20 drink vouchers for the lobby bar ambassador welcome amenity .
EDIflyer and voodoofish like this.
crombiestone is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 18, 3:02 pm
  #249  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: London
Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Honors Gold
Posts: 42
Originally Posted by crombiestone View Post
Yes I stayed on 15th July . I questioned the resort fee charge at check in and the FD clerk said that the amount she could see was the original rate without the resort fees ,even though it was still clearly shown on the IHG app . There was no problem at all and the original rate was charged .
Great, thank you! I feel much better knowing I shouldn't have to fight them to get the original reservation honoured.
voodoofish is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 18, 6:48 pm
  #250  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Programs: MAR Platinum, Delta Plat., IHG Priority Club Plat. Amb., Hilton HHonors Diamond
Posts: 266
Any recent reviews?

How might a Spire Ambassador staying on points get treated?

Looking for upgrades, maybe larger room, maybe club access.

Yes, I know it's a separate program, I'm an Ambassador.
ARR72 likes this.

Last edited by FLYGVA; Aug 28, 18 at 11:11 pm
Milhous Gloriosus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 18, 10:03 am
  #251  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 13
I'm looking at stay at the IC Barclay in October and use my free night certificate(I'm an ambassador). However, Even Hotel is fairly close by and would end up being a lot less expensive(by using points).
Now, before someone jumps on me, I know you can't compare and Even hotel with an IC. However, I'm a little worried with what people have been saying about the service provided to ambassadors and at the hotel as a whole. I don't want to pay a bunch more for what will turn out to not be a better service experience. The Even hotel may not have as good of service as IC or the amenities, but it also doesn't have a destination fee and is significantly less. I don't mind paying for good service, but with IC I expect a good experience and more than I do for an Even hotel so my expectations are just very different.
I guess what I am asking, is it worth it to stay at the IC for a few days or would it be better to just adjust my expectations anyway and stay somewhere cheaper because I'm not going to get a good product even though I'm paying more.
dez3b is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 18, 11:06 am
  #252  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Posts: 3,263
Originally Posted by Milhous Gloriosus View Post
Looking for upgrades, maybe larger room, maybe club access.

Yes, I know it's a separate program, I'm an Ambassador.
you will not get club access. And if you book a superior room , you’ll get something like a deluxe room. They’re really stingy you probably will not notice the “upgrade” (I’ve stayed there maybe 10 times as Spire Amb).

good luck!
Mauibaby2008 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 18, 3:50 pm
  #253  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Programs: FB Plat, BlueBiz, IHG Spire Amb & Biz Rewards, Hertz PC
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by dez3b View Post
I'm looking at stay at the IC Barclay in October and use my free night certificate(I'm an ambassador). However, Even Hotel is fairly close by and would end up being a lot less expensive(by using points).
Now, before someone jumps on me, I know you can't compare and Even hotel with an IC. However, I'm a little worried with what people have been saying about the service provided to ambassadors and at the hotel as a whole. I don't want to pay a bunch more for what will turn out to not be a better service experience. The Even hotel may not have as good of service as IC or the amenities, but it also doesn't have a destination fee and is significantly less. I don't mind paying for good service, but with IC I expect a good experience and more than I do for an Even hotel so my expectations are just very different.
I guess what I am asking, is it worth it to stay at the IC for a few days or would it be better to just adjust my expectations anyway and stay somewhere cheaper because I'm not going to get a good product even though I'm paying more.
Stay at EVEN and keep the $$'s, or go to the IC Times Square. I stayed in both IC's approx. 50 nights in the past couple years and always had a much better service/upgrades in IC TS.

The Barclay is a beautiful property, but has a union issue that causes bad service (specifically in the dining room), every time I stayed there was an issue and weird vibes.
FMTTM1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 18, 11:13 pm
  #254  
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 5,193
For your information:
A few post were unnecessary and therefore have been deleted.

FLYGVA
co-moderator IHG Forum
FLYGVA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 18, 1:34 pm
  #255  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: California
Programs: Ihg Spire, Amb
Posts: 142
When using the Ambassador Weekend Certificate, will one get charged the resort fee for both nights or just the first?
ARR72 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread