Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IHG Points: Easiest way to extend expiration?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: IHG Plat(Ambssdr on occasion), Hyatt Explr(2023), AS Mileage Plan, Rapid Rewards, Bonvoy Plat
Join their Opinion Panel.

Select Age 10 at the beginning of your Survey, you'll get kicked out, but get the boiler plate 5 pts credited for not completing the Survey.
chrism20 likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by baroqen
I would like to point out that the "make a reservation and cancel it" no longer works.
Source? I'm not saying you're wrong, just that this is the first I'm seeing this claim & it would be helpful to point to the basis for it, whether on FT or elsewhere. Thanks.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Easiest, quickest and most secure way is probably to buy a handful of points. If you have a reasonably large balance it’s probably worth the 12 dollars or so. Points usually post immediately or soon after.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Wow, you really resurrected a pretty old thread. That said, since you resurrected it, I would like to point out that the "make a reservation and cancel it" no longer works.
It worked for me in July, end it wasn't even intended. I had a backup reservation (award) that I didn't need to use, when I canceled that reservation my points expiry date extended one year from that date…
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by beltway
Source? I'm not saying you're wrong, just that this is the first I'm seeing this claim & it would be helpful to point to the basis for it, whether on FT or elsewhere. Thanks.
The terms and conditions for IHG Rewards now specifically states it. It was added in an update to the T&Cs a good few months ago now.

Was discussed in another thread about extending status at the time, not sure which one though. Whether they have actually changed the IT to deal with it or just inserted something in the T&Cs I don’t know but it is in there now.
beltway likes this.

Last edited by chrism20; Aug 14, 2018 at 1:16 am
Old Aug 14, 2018, 9:09 pm

Thanks for the assist @chrism20. I haven't personally tried it since I have the IHG credit card (and therefore points never expire while I have the card). I just remember reading about it in another thread here on FT.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...xpiring-7.html

That thread is the actual wiki for for topic. I feel like there was another mention of it somewhere else, where they were complaining that they lost their points because they didn't know about the change to redeem/cancel, but I can't remember for sure. I could be remembering it incorrectly.
chrism20 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 2:00 am

Thanks for the assist @chrism20. I haven't personally tried it since I have the IHG credit card (and therefore points never expire while I have the card). I just remember reading about it in another thread here on FT.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...xpiring-7.html

That thread is the actual wiki for for topic. I feel like there was another mention of it somewhere else, where they were complaining that they lost their points because they didn't know about the change to redeem/cancel, but I can't remember for sure. I could be remembering it incorrectly.
Pretty sure that was the thread.

The best way to keep them alive is as @archstenton said. Join the opinioncheckin panel. If you need activity to reset the clock it might as well be an earning activity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.