Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2016, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Temporary COVID-19 extension of point expiry until December 31, 2022:
"Points Expiration: Points never expire for all members with Elite status (Gold, Platinum and Spire) - a key benefit of our program. We have extended points expiry until December 31, 2022 for Club members (points normally expire after 12 months of inactivity)."
https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/cu...isory-covid-19

Check current expiration on an account without elite status
Click on "points" in the top bar when logged in, or go here after logging in: https://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/us/e...nt-mgmt/points
Since points do not expire for elite members (those with Gold, Platinum, or Spire status), for those accounts, no expiration information will be shown on this page. In the IHG app, click your name in the corner then click “2020 track to elite status” shown below your points total. The 3rd line on that page shows the point expiration date.

IHG T&C:
39. Point Expiration: Club level membership Points (see Member Benefits, including levels of membership, here) will expire if your membership account becomes inactive for any period of twelve (12) months or longer, which means your Points will be removed from your account and will no longer be available for redemption. To maintain the Points in your membership account, you must have at least one “earn” or “redeem” transaction posted to your account every twelve (12) months. Use of the one night per year provided to IHG One Rewards credit card holders does not constitute an “earn” or “redeem” activity to prevent Point expiration. Elite Members’ Points do not expire as long as Elite level membership is maintained.

How can I keep my IHG points from expiring after one year?

Various types of status or activity will reset the clock or even prevent it from running:
  • Maintaining elite status (including via the credit card, if your card offers that benefit)
  • Any earning activity that increases your balance (including nonqualifying or bonus points), such as transfering points from programs like e-rewards or earning dining rewards points
  • Any redemption activity that decreases your balance (like redeeming 3 points for an eBook). As noted in the T&C above, this no longer includes a booking that is later canceled.
Print Wikipost

Preventing IHG Rewards Club points from expiring?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Originally Posted by Culture Guru
just bought this ebook for 4 points
https://digitalrewards.ihg.com/us/eb...ern-healthcare

but the expiry date has not moved further by an year. does anyone know how long it takes to do so?

a day after... all shows perfect. expiry has been pushed forth by 1 year...
I’ve just helped a friend to extend her points by purchasing the same book. The new expiry date showed up on her account almost immediately. Thank you!
Old Dec 21, 2018, 5:38 am

Programs: AA, DL, TK
Originally Posted by Jrichardf
Wish I'd read this thread a few weeks ago!!! I've just lost my 28000 points from my account. Received email reminding me that points were about to expire. ‘And remember, every time you stay, earn or redeem, you keep all your points active for another year’ the email told me, with a link to make a booking. Booked a stay for mid April using cash for a holiday in Beijing in April. But I didn’t realise that wouldn’t be enough to stop the points disappearing. I should have used points, not cash, I now realise. But IHG just won’t budge at all on the issue and my mistake. All I get from them is the usual, ‘we appreciate your concern’ and ‘understand your difficulty blah blah blah’ but a refusal to reinstate points or help. Just faceless1984 corporate type speak and a hiding behind their terms and conditions. Anyway, left feeling really disappointed and angry at their absolute refusal to help. Maybe if I’d been a big corporate booker giving them a load of money, they would have made more effort. Anyway, yesterday I cancelled the booking and closed my account in frustration. Won't be staying with them again.
It was nice of them to send you a reminder. I received no such reminder - the November statement showed my full balance and did not list an expiry date - and my planned booking was as it turned out a few weeks too late.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:08 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I found a 4 point eBook: "Surreal Photography"
https://digitalrewards.ihg.com/us/eb...al-photography

Didn't even bother to install Adobe Digital Editions, but my points were expiring in < 60 days. Thanks for the tips in this thread!
Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Originally Posted by Gig103
I found a 4 point eBook: "Surreal Photography"
https://digitalrewards.ihg.com/us/eb...al-photography

Didn't even bother to install Adobe Digital Editions, but my points were expiring in < 60 days. Thanks for the tips in this thread!
The same book is now 11950 points.

And they got rid of the option where you could sort e-books by its "price"
This will take some serious time browsing...
Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:30 am

Cheapest I could find is some 200 music audios.

How are you guys finding these 4 points ebooks? There has to be an easier way than to look through 800 pages of results?
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by JordanWalker
Cheapest I could find is some 200 music audios.

How are you guys finding these 4 points ebooks? There has to be an easier way than to look through 800 pages of results?
When I did it, after clicking on an alphabet letter I could sort those results by price. I went through it all until I found the 4-pt book.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103
When I did it, after clicking on an alphabet letter I could sort those results by price. I went through it all until I found the 4-pt book.
Found it! Not sure how I missed that, I do recall having that function.

4 points ebook
https://digitalrewards.ihg.com/us/eb...-bhagavad-gita
https://digitalrewards.ihg.com/us/eb...ate-speech-law
Old Jul 4, 2019, 12:13 pm

It works - 3 point book
Old Oct 13, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Thanks. I just redeemed for a 4 point book and it worked great.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 1:51 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Plat+, FoundersCard, Amex Plat, TR Diamond, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Dia, HH Gold, Hertz 5*
I can't find anything for just a few points - best I've found is a music track for 300. And I can't figure out how to order results by price... Help?
Old Dec 26, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Anyone find anything good? I agree with previous posters that all I could find is a 300 point music track...
Old Dec 26, 2019, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
For USA folks, consider https://m.ihgrewardsclubdining.rewardsnetwork.com/
Old Jan 1, 2020, 11:42 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

IHG is about the worst hotel program in terms of point expiry. It is only 12 months. Can't transfer from other members to pool the points. Probably we can transfer 1,000 reward points to IHG at very bad transfer rate to keep the points for another 12 months.

I've closed my IHG card and liquidate the IHG points. Hard to maintain. It should extend the 12 months to 24 months at least.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 4:19 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by RedSun
IHG is about the worst hotel program in terms of point expiry. It is only 12 months. Can't transfer from other members to pool the points. Probably we can transfer 1,000 reward points to IHG at very bad transfer rate to keep the points for another 12 months.

I've closed my IHG card and liquidate the IHG points. Hard to maintain. It should extend the 12 months to 24 months at least.
Points don't expire as long as you keep IHG elite status, which probably was card benefit for you so closing the card might not have been the best way to go.

If you go by T&Cs, Accor is worse because in theory the only way to push out expiration is by an actual point-generating stay. (In practice, Accor's IT system is wonky enough that any point activity changes the expiration date)
Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:09 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by beachmouse
Points don't expire as long as you keep IHG elite status, which probably was card benefit for you so closing the card might not have been the best way to go.

If you go by T&Cs, Accor is worse because in theory the only way to push out expiration is by an actual point-generating stay. (In practice, Accor's IT system is wonky enough that any point activity changes the expiration date)
If you keep the CC, the points won't expire. But with the FN capped at 40,000 and I do not accumulate IHG points, it becomes a burden to use just a single FN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.