Old Feb 3, 2016, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Temporary COVID-19 extension of point expiry until December 31, 2022:
"Points Expiration: Points never expire for all members with Elite status (Gold, Platinum and Spire) - a key benefit of our program. We have extended points expiry until December 31, 2022 for Club members (points normally expire after 12 months of inactivity)."
https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/cu...isory-covid-19

Check current expiration on an account without elite status
Click on "points" in the top bar when logged in, or go here after logging in: https://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/us/e...nt-mgmt/points
Since points do not expire for elite members (those with Gold, Platinum, or Spire status), for those accounts, no expiration information will be shown on this page. In the IHG app, click your name in the corner then click “2020 track to elite status” shown below your points total. The 3rd line on that page shows the point expiration date.

IHG T&C:
39. Point Expiration: Club level membership Points (see Member Benefits, including levels of membership, here) will expire if your membership account becomes inactive for any period of twelve (12) months or longer, which means your Points will be removed from your account and will no longer be available for redemption. To maintain the Points in your membership account, you must have at least one “earn” or “redeem” transaction posted to your account every twelve (12) months. Use of the one night per year provided to IHG One Rewards credit card holders does not constitute an “earn” or “redeem” activity to prevent Point expiration. Elite Members’ Points do not expire as long as Elite level membership is maintained.

How can I keep my IHG points from expiring after one year?

Various types of status or activity will reset the clock or even prevent it from running:
  • Maintaining elite status (including via the credit card, if your card offers that benefit)
  • Any earning activity that increases your balance (including nonqualifying or bonus points), such as transfering points from programs like e-rewards or earning dining rewards points
  • Any redemption activity that decreases your balance (like redeeming 3 points for an eBook). As noted in the T&C above, this no longer includes a booking that is later canceled.
Print Wikipost

Preventing IHG Rewards Club points from expiring?

Old Sep 18, 2017, 10:09 pm

Would having the IHG credit card prevent my points from expiring??
Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: Cards: JPMR, United Quest, Chase Ink Bus Cash, Chase Freedom U, Citi Costco, AmEx Blue
I went ahead and spent $13.50 to keep my points alive since I had many, but I just haven't had an occasion to stay at IHG in the last year. AwardWallet says they don't expire with Elite Status (only gold right now and that will obviously drop) off. Does anyone know where it says they won't expire or what would happen beginning the next year when the status drops off? Thanks!
Old Oct 17, 2017, 10:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA EXP, AS MVP75K GOLD, HHonors Diamond, BW Diamond, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by schalliol
I went ahead and spent $13.50 to keep my points alive since I had many, but I just haven't had an occasion to stay at IHG in the last year. AwardWallet says they don't expire with Elite Status (only gold right now and that will obviously drop) off. Does anyone know where it says they won't expire or what would happen beginning the next year when the status drops off? Thanks!
Per IHG here

Will points expire for elite members?

No, points won't expire for current elite members. Elite members who do not earn enough qualifying nights or points to maintain their status will become a Club level member. Points will expire 12 months after becoming a Club level member for those who neither earn nor redeem at all during this time.
schalliol likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 1:23 am

Programs: MileagePlus Premier Silver, IHG Spire Elite, HHonors Silver, RapidRewards
Presumably, paying $49 for the credit card would also do it, as it would confer Platinum Elite.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:49 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Does the e-book thing still work? Tried to buy a 400 point book and keep getting errors.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
If you are in the USA, why not join Rewards Network?
Old Oct 26, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
If you are in the USA, why not join Rewards Network?
There are some areas where the participating restaurants in the Reward Network dining program are few and unexciting food options.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 7:24 pm

Programs: ~IHG(p)/BW~Nat'l.Exec~ ~NW(SE)~ ~Cessna~ NASM.do-07 ~AAAF.do-05/06/07/08/09
Originally Posted by FonzieBone
Presumably, paying $49 for the credit card would also do it, as it would confer Platinum Elite.
^ And awards a free nite at any property worldwide.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by CaveatEmpty
^ And awards a free nite at any property worldwide.
Does the award night trick work anymore? I booked a night but expiration date didn't change?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:12 am

Checked again after the award night cancellation but strange the expiration date is not displayed anymore.I have no status anymore with IHG,
Old Jan 9, 2018, 3:40 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by mitelsp
Does the award night trick work anymore? I booked a night but expiration date didn't change?
Can anyone confirm this?
Old Jan 9, 2018, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by louie-m
Can anyone confirm this?
The first day after cancellation the points expiration date remained unchanged, however the next day the expiration date is not displayed anymore.Strange and this happened on two family accounts.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by mitelsp
The first day after cancellation the points expiration date remained unchanged, however the next day the expiration date is not displayed anymore.Strange and this happened on two family accounts.
I also no longer have an expiration date despite not having any status with IHG.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Exclamation Expiry date gone

Does anyone know if the clock on expiry resets after cancellation ?
Like posted in prior data points, the expiry date is not visible any longer.
Do we now need to call in to track the expiry date ?
Old Feb 10, 2018, 11:39 am

Question

Originally Posted by Travelomania
Does anyone know if the clock on expiry resets after cancellation ?
Like posted in prior data points, the expiry date is not visible any longer.
Do we now need to call in to track the expiry date ?
I have the same question myself

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.