Old Feb 3, 2016, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Temporary COVID-19 extension of point expiry until December 31, 2022:
"Points Expiration: Points never expire for all members with Elite status (Gold, Platinum and Spire) - a key benefit of our program. We have extended points expiry until December 31, 2022 for Club members (points normally expire after 12 months of inactivity)."
https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/cu...isory-covid-19

Check current expiration on an account without elite status
Click on "points" in the top bar when logged in, or go here after logging in: https://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/us/e...nt-mgmt/points
Since points do not expire for elite members (those with Gold, Platinum, or Spire status), for those accounts, no expiration information will be shown on this page. In the IHG app, click your name in the corner then click 2020 track to elite status shown below your points total. The 3rd line on that page shows the point expiration date.

IHG T&C:
39. Point Expiration: Club level membership Points (see Member Benefits, including levels of membership, here) will expire if your membership account becomes inactive for any period of twelve (12) months or longer, which means your Points will be removed from your account and will no longer be available for redemption. To maintain the Points in your membership account, you must have at least one earn or redeem transaction posted to your account every twelve (12) months. Use of the one night per year provided to IHG One Rewards credit card holders does not constitute an earn or redeem activity to prevent Point expiration. Elite Members Points do not expire as long as Elite level membership is maintained.

How can I keep my IHG points from expiring after one year?

Various types of status or activity will reset the clock or even prevent it from running:
  • Maintaining elite status (including via the credit card, if your card offers that benefit)
  • Any earning activity that increases your balance (including nonqualifying or bonus points), such as transfering points from programs like e-rewards or earning dining rewards points
  • Any redemption activity that decreases your balance (like redeeming 3 points for an eBook). As noted in the T&C above, this no longer includes a booking that is later canceled.
Print Wikipost

Preventing IHG Rewards Club points from expiring?

Old Jan 2, 2020, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by huge
I can't find anything for just a few points - best I've found is a music track for 300. And I can't figure out how to order results by price... Help?
Originally Posted by bworrell
Anyone find anything good? I agree with previous posters that all I could find is a 300 point music track...
Hopefully not too late to be helpful, but found a 3-point book: https://digitalrewards.ihg.com/ebook...perial-muslims
Old Jan 4, 2020, 11:11 am

Programs: IHG Plat(Ambssdr on occasion), Hyatt Explr(2023), AS Mileage Plan, Rapid Rewards, Bonvoy Plat
As mentioned before, the simplest thing is just join their opinion panel program. The only down fall is the countless emails pointing to surveys. Just filter them or something.

Take a survey, the first or one of the first questions, say your age is 12, you'll get kicked out but receive 5 points for your time. Takes 2 minutes tops.

Also, the points usually post immediately.

Once in awhile you'll get an offer for 200 or so points for about 10 minutes(it'll say 30 minutes, but you can do it 10 if you're quick) time if you're interested.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 9:44 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by KCKC
Hopefully not too late to be helpful, but found a 3-point book: https://digitalrewards.ihg.com/ebook...perial-muslims
Unfortunately that ebook throws an error. Still, 150 points for Just So Stories by Kipling will do instead.

signol
Old Jan 14, 2020, 8:59 am

Is anyone able to purchase any content on the IHG digital rewards site at the moment? All of the 3 or 4 point options posted earlier in this thread are gone, but I don't mind spending 150 points to keep mine from expiring. But the site simply won't let me make any redemption, they all say "I'm sorry we're unable to complete your redemption at this time. Please contact the IHG Rewards Club Service Center for further assistance."

I even tried calling their service center like the message said in case they were competent, but they weren't.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by archstenton
As mentioned before, the simplest thing is just join their opinion panel program. The only down fall is the countless emails pointing to surveys. Just filter them or something.

Take a survey, the first or one of the first questions, say your age is 12, you'll get kicked out but receive 5 points for your time. Takes 2 minutes tops.

Also, the points usually post immediately.

Once in awhile you'll get an offer for 200 or so points for about 10 minutes(it'll say 30 minutes, but you can do it 10 if you're quick) time if you're interested.
It looks like they recently closed an opinion panel program. There's another one it redirected me to, and I signed up in case it would give me the same easy points, but it's pretty useless. You have to accumulate a certain level of rewards from surveys before you can redeem those for IHG points, and it would take probably 6+ hours of filling our surveys to reach that level.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 5:49 am

Programs: IHG Gold
I guess the easiest way would be (for UK members) to apply for the free credit card. Comes with Gold status, and points don't expire with any level of status. But of course would mean a credit check.

signol
Old Feb 6, 2020, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by gumbotime
Is anyone able to purchase any content on the IHG digital rewards site at the moment? All of the 3 or 4 point options posted earlier in this thread are gone, but I don't mind spending 150 points to keep mine from expiring. But the site simply won't let me make any redemption, they all say "I'm sorry we're unable to complete your redemption at this time. Please contact the IHG Rewards Club Service Center for further assistance."

I even tried calling their service center like the message said in case they were competent, but they weren't.
I have the same issue. Was anyone able to resolve this?
Old Feb 10, 2020, 7:05 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Elite
I redeemed some e-rewards dollars (from filling out surveys) and the points transferred within minutes even though they said allow 6-8 weeks.

Confirmed my points expiry date is now a year later.
I have a few stays in March so I wanted to keep these points.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 7:40 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
When I was doing e-Rewards transfers to IHG, they typically did a batch transfer of all user redemptions once a week.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 9:25 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold, BW Diamond
Just curious to see if anyone has tried this strategy to keep points from expiring. My points are expiring in March and I can't seem to make any redemptions through the IHG digital rewards site.
  1. Redeem points for a hotel stay in the future (say Dec 31, 2020)
  2. Make an actual hotel stay in April or May 2020 (ie. after my current points expiry date of March 2020)
  3. Cancel the redemption booking from item 1 in May 2020.
I've noticed that the "points expiring" message does go away immediately after booking a room redemption.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 11:57 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by joe_ETF
Just curious to see if anyone has tried this strategy to keep points from expiring. My points are expiring in March and I can't seem to make any redemptions through the IHG digital rewards site.
  1. Redeem points for a hotel stay in the future (say Dec 31, 2020)
  2. Make an actual hotel stay in April or May 2020 (ie. after my current points expiry date of March 2020)
  3. Cancel the redemption booking from item 1 in May 2020.
I've noticed that the "points expiring" message does go away immediately after booking a room redemption.
READ THE WIKI , it has the below.
In summary booking+using award night validly extends expiry BUT abuse/loophole ie if you book award/cancel , means the expiry extension is automatically lost as are the points that would have expired if no award had been booked automatically lost

New IHG T+C FEB2018 !
https://www.ihg.com/content/gb/en/cu...-tc.html#terms <-- see point 24.

24. Point Expiration. CLUB LEVEL MEMBERSHIP POINTS (SEE MEMBER BENEFITS, INCLUDING LEVELS OF MEMBERSHIP, HERE) WILL EXPIRE IF YOUR MEMBERSHIP ACCOUNT BECOMES INACTIVE FOR ANY PERIOD OF TWELVE (12) MONTHS OR LONGER, WHICH MEANS YOUR POINTS WILL BE REMOVED FROM YOUR ACCOUNT AND WILL NO LONGER BE AVAILABLE FOR REDEMPTION. To maintain the Points in your membership account, you must have at least one earn or redeem transaction posted to your account every twelve (12) months. Use of the one night per year provided to IHG Rewards Club credit card holders does not constitute an earn or redeem activity to prevent Point expiration. If you redeem Points for a Stay and subsequently cancel that Stay, the redemption activity does not prevent Point expiration. Points do not expire for current Elite Members, although Points may expire twelve (12) months after an Elite Members account moves to Club level if there is no earn or redeem activity during those twelve (12) months.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
We know that in general, a canceled booking won't reset expiration. But does anyone know about points & cash? Is that treated as a purchase that resets expiration, even if the reservation is canceled?

My GF has 30K expiring this month. And actually needs two one-night reservations at a 20K hotel in August. Normally we'd do 2x 15K plus cash. But since there's a chance the coronavirus situation is still bad enough in August that we'd want to cancel. If the points & cash "purchase doesn't reset the expiration, she'd lose those points. If that's the case we'd spend more cash to just buy the 10K outright and book straight 20K points only reservations to be safe.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 4:55 pm

Are there any extension on the pts expiry due to COVID?
Do they have dining program to keep the pts from expiring?
Old Jun 4, 2020, 7:04 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sciconf
Are there any extension on the pts expiry due to COVID?
Do they have dining program to keep the pts from expiring?
As stated in their communications and on their website
  • Points never expire for all members with Elite status (Gold, Platinum and Spire) - a key benefit of our programme.
  • We paused points expiry until 31 December 2020 for Club members (points normally expire after 12 months of inactivity).
Old Jun 4, 2020, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by perthite
As stated in their communications and on their website
  • Points never expire for all members with Elite status (Gold, Platinum and Spire) - a key benefit of our programme.
  • We paused points expiry until 31 December 2020 for Club members (points normally expire after 12 months of inactivity).
It turns out I have a coupon for a night stay that expires in Dec - I do not have a plan to use it yet. What should I do?

What are the other Hotel chains and airlines doing?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.