Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which IHG property in Shanghai for an overnight.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2016, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
Which IHG property in Shanghai for an overnight.

I was surprised to not find a thread dedicated to this topic. So here it is!

I'm taking advantage of the recent visa changes and will be overnighting in Shanghai on my way into and out of Vietnam. There's so many IHG properties lumped in the same general area that making the best choice is daunting!

So what's everyone's experiences and recommendations regarding IHG properties that are best-situated for an overnight connection?
I'm interested in ease of access to/from PVG, value for both a reward stay or paid stay (upgrades? Status bennies?) as well as dining and light shopping within walking distance.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 6:32 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Ambassador, Accor Plat, SPG/Carlson Gold
There is no IHG property near PVG. Try Indigo Shanghai. It is right at the bund area. Should take you 40-60 min to reach PVG by taxi.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would go with the IC Ruijin because the neighborhood is the best of the lot (limiting the field to IHG properties). It is about 45 minutes from PVG (good access to the N/S highway).

What are the new visa changes?
Old Jan 21, 2016, 4:07 am
Original Poster

Visa...just the ability to layover up to 72 hours without a visa.

Regarding location, yes, I realize that no IHGs are actually near the airport proper. It's a bad habit of mine to call a city by its airport identifier! (It's even worse for cities that have pronounceable airport identifiers...ie: Ottawa. My mother assumed I was in China this week when I called her from some city called YOW).

Thanks for the IC Ruijin recommendation. I'm not looking to tour Shanghai, just something interesting to walk about outside the hotel for an hour or two, and this sounds like it fits the bill. I presume a taxi is the easiest way to get there?
Old Jan 21, 2016, 5:02 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
How about Crowne Plaza Century Park? It's a 10 min cab drive from Longyang Station where you can take the Maglev train to PVG in around 8 minutes, much more reliable and cheaper than a cab all the way to the airport (at least 50 min by road). If you don't have much luggage you can take the Metro to Longyang Road Station which is just 2 stops away from the hotel. There are plenty to do between the station and the hotel including a big shopping mall like the Himalayas Center. There is another one within walking distance from the hotel with a lot of eateries and also a Carrefour
Old Jan 21, 2016, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by Xiaotung
How about Crowne Plaza Century Park? It's a 10 min cab drive from Longyang Station where you can take the Maglev train to PVG in around 8 minutes, much more reliable and cheaper than a cab all the way to the airport (at least 50 min by road). If you don't have much luggage you can take the Metro to Longyang Road Station which is just 2 stops away from the hotel. There are plenty to do between the station and the hotel including a big shopping mall like the Himalayas Center. There is another one within walking distance from the hotel with a lot of eateries and also a Carrefour
Hmmm...there are worse places in the world than Century Park, but it is honestly only 5 minutes closer to PVG (via taxi) than Ruijin Park.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Well, I do have two nights in PVG (going in and again coming out)...and I DO want to sample the maglev! We will each have a large checked bag and a roll-a-board. Will this be cumbersome on the Maglev? I'd be keen to Maglev into town and taxi to our destination.

Awesome advice guys/gals. Thank you!
Old Jan 21, 2016, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by airmotive
Well, I do have two nights in PVG (going in and again coming out)...and I DO want to sample the maglev! We will each have a large checked bag and a roll-a-board. Will this be cumbersome on the Maglev? I'd be keen to Maglev into town and taxi to our destination.

Awesome advice guys/gals. Thank you!
For the Century Park/Century Ave properties, the Maglev isn't a bad way to go.

Note the following:
-your luggage should be manageable on the Maglev, but difficult to swing (comfortably) on the subway if you choose to use it for the last mile
-Longyang Road Station is notorious for its taxi touts, who are adept at scamming locals, let alone tourists
-for this reason, I usually advise people in your shoes to either do the Maglev/subway combo, or else only take the Maglev TO PVG (taxi from there)
-once is enough to get the picture
-check the schedule to confirm when it is running at top speed (not so may trains any more)
Old Jan 21, 2016, 10:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold IHG Ambassador Spire Shangri La Diamond
From a service perspective the IHG Expo is brilliant
Old Jan 22, 2016, 3:58 pm

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
Many IHG properties are close to the subway line. PVG is directly connected to subway line 2. Riding the subway, even with luggage is not difficult. Signs in English...

Riding the Maglev was anti-climatic for me... But if you do stay in the area, and are interested in sporting/outdoors equipment, visit the store DECATHLON near the station. Their products are decent and relatively well-priced for western-goods quality.

Taxi from PVG to most IHG properties will cost over RMB$100. Bring a print out of the address in Chinese before landing. (Doesn't hurt to have the local phone number (not toll free reservation number!) as well. Don't assume the taxi know where your hotel is... especially with generic name like "Holiday Inn" or "Intercontinental".
Old Jan 22, 2016, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by chunky649
Many IHG properties are close to the subway line. PVG is directly connected to subway line 2. Riding the subway, even with luggage is not difficult. Signs in English...

Riding the Maglev was anti-climatic for me... But if you do stay in the area, and are interested in sporting/outdoors equipment, visit the store DECATHLON near the station. Their products are decent and relatively well-priced for western-goods quality.

Taxi from PVG to most IHG properties will cost over RMB$100. Bring a print out of the address in Chinese before landing. (Doesn't hurt to have the local phone number (not toll free reservation number!) as well. Don't assume the taxi know where your hotel is... especially with generic name like "Holiday Inn" or "Intercontinental".
Line 2 with "a large checked bag and a roll-a-board"? Do you seriously think that's cool? I am hoping that the OP only has to endure this drill one time during his four airport-city transfers.

WRT to taxi fares to/from PVG, let's set the minimum bar at Y140, and the maximum at Y250 (assuming off peak, and somewhere far like the IC near the train station).

In all cases, these hotels are easy to find if you know their proper names.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 1:25 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by chunky649

Riding the subway with luggage is not funny, sometimes impossible. Have you not seen there are subway employees pushing passengers into the cars so the doors can actually close?
Old Jan 23, 2016, 9:40 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Obviously, the excess luggage is a problem, as even the typical taxi won't fit that much luggage. If it's only one night, considering storing your extra bags at PVG (upstairs departures area on either end of the terminal I recall,) so you can use any transportation option. I've used a variety of IHG Shanghai properties before and after flights. Depending upon your budget, status, and time, plus interests though transportation in Shanghai is pretty good to and from most areas so not as critical to be located right near the attractions you are most interested in seeing.

I like the IC's best, obviously. IC Pudong would be most convenient as it's right near the line 2 Metro stop and a short trip to the Maglev station. However, it's not the best IC. I've used the CP Century, but the walk is quite long from the Metro stop. The Puxi/Zhabei area (IC Puxi, HI Shanghai, HIX Zhabei,) is a little boring and requires a transfer from one metro line to another. But if budget is prime concern, these usually are lower priced than the other IC's or Indigo. I've used the HIX Zhabei most as I usually get UPG'd to a suite for about 300 rmb all in per night. Their breakfast is OK since they added the egg station (plus other made to order items.)
Old Jan 23, 2016, 10:11 am

The op will have no problem at all fitting his luggage in a taxi.

As much as luggage on line 2 sucks, it is doable. As I mentioned up thread, I think the op could endure the drill ONE time, assuming no transfers.

If I were the op, I'd stay at ruijin both times, and do taxi to maglev one time just to check it off the list.

That having been, swapping in century park or ic pudong on one of the visits makes sense if he's too tired to do anything interesting and/or the savings are substantial.

Off topic, zhabei is going to be cool about 2 years from now because wpp moved there last November.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA1k AC SE
Originally Posted by thegreatmrsj
From a service perspective the IHG Expo is brilliant
the hotel has awesome corporate rates but there is NOTHING around the hotel. Heat is a huge problem at this hotel. In the summer they turn off the AC at night and the winter you cant get the rooms below 22c.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.