Wiki Posts
Search

IHG's in Bangkok no Breakfast for Plat/Spire

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2016, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
IHG's in Bangkok no Breakfast for Plat/Spire

There are now 2 threads in this forum that seem to indicate that Plats/Spire Elites are not receiving a free Breakfast in the lounge/restaurant

Hotel Indigo was providing a 800Bht F&B credit per person/per night which appears to be gone. No Breakfast provided in lieu of the credit.

HI on Sukhumvit; a recent report indicates no Breakfast provided in the lounge or restaurant for Platinum or above (Spire)

I stayed at both of these properties last last year (Oct. and Dec.) and received Breakfast @ the HI and the 800Bht credit at Hotel Indigo.

I am curious if this new development is wide spread in Bangkok or even throughout Asia.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 3:29 am

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
CP Lumpini still offered breakfast at the lounge or the restaurant for Platinum here. I find that these benefits varies from chain to chain with CP being the most generous while Indigo/ICs being the most stingy!
Old Jan 19, 2016, 3:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It doesn't seem to be happening at other chain properties in Bangkok such as Hyatt and Starwood.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 3:31 am

Programs: Flying blue
HI Express always gives breakfast

Most of the rest seem to charge for breakfast regardless of status.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Alawyer
CP Lumpini still offered breakfast at the lounge or the restaurant for Platinum here. I find that these benefits varies from chain to chain with CP being the most generous while Indigo/ICs being the most stingy!
Is this current as of January 2016?

The other hotels I referenced (Hotel Indigo, HI Sukhumvit 22) all offered breakfast until sometime in early January.

Thanks.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 1:59 pm

Programs: QR P; TK E; FB S; BA S; UA S; MB LTT; HH D; IHG DAmb
Originally Posted by rebadc
There are now 2 threads in this forum that seem to indicate that Plats/Spire Elites are not receiving a free Breakfast in the lounge.
I can confirm that no free breakfast (either via Lounge or restaurant) was offered to this Spire Elite at either the HI Ploenchit (late Dec 2015) or HI Sukhumvit Soi 22 (early Jan 2016). [The HI Ploenchit did offer 20% off food (only) at their restaurants or at the adjacent IC.]
Old Jan 19, 2016, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Zinzan
I can confirm that no free breakfast (either via Lounge or restaurant) was offered to this Spire Elite at either the HI Ploenchit (late Dec 2015) or HI Sukhumvit Soi 22 (early Jan 2016). [The HI Ploenchit did offer 20% off food (only) at their restaurants or at the adjacent IC.]
Is there any reason to be suprised as it never has been a written benefit?
Old Jan 19, 2016, 3:58 pm

Programs: Flying blue
I think the confusion may be that some lounges do offer breakfast, so if you have lounge access with platinum (also not a given), then some may assume platinum means free breakfast.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 3:29 am

Programs: QR P; TK E; FB S; BA S; UA S; MB LTT; HH D; IHG DAmb
Originally Posted by vexorg
I think the confusion may be that some lounges do offer breakfast, so if you have lounge access with platinum (also not a given), then some may assume platinum means free breakfast.
Precisely. In both (recent) cases I was not offered lounge access. Given what had been reported here on FT recently, I wasn't entirely surprised. Just offering another observation to complement rebadc's earlier observations...
Old Jan 20, 2016, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I'm a bit puzzled as I've never been offered a free breakfast in any HI or CP anywhere, including Bangkok.

Hotels with lounges have, often as not, given me lounge access which includes some kind of lounge-based breakfast. This has happened regularly at two of the HI's in Bangkok, and at the CP.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Asian properties have always (in the past) treated their top tier elites well.

Marriott for example will give a Platinum Member choice of breakfast in the lounge or restaurant.

I am simply pointing out that it appears things have changed @ 2 of my favorite IHG properties and am wondering if this is now widespread in Bangkok or even perhaps across all of Asia.

Further, a poster has mentioned that as a platinum the HI Ploenchit did not offer access to the lounge.

So that's 3 properties that have changed the way they treat their top tier in terms of free breakfasts and/or F&B credits.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 3:14 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Why are people hung up on breakfast at a hotel in Bangkok? Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the lounge at CP Lumpini. It has quality breakfast offerings, but I was in Bangkok, so street food ruled the day all day long.

I could eat $0.45 plates of Pad Thai made fresh steps from the hotel entrance three times a day seven days a week.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 3:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sleuth
Why are people hung up on breakfast at a hotel in Bangkok? Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the lounge at CP Lumpini. It has quality breakfast offerings, but I was in Bangkok, so street food ruled the day all day long.

I could eat $0.45 plates of Pad Thai made fresh steps from the hotel entrance three times a day seven days a week.
I eat street food as much as the next guy.
I also like cooked to order eggs, fresh fruit, pastries, and the whole spread of options.

Whats important I believe is that a sizable perk, unpublished benefit, gift from the IHG gods has been suddenly taken away.

The 800bht per person/per day F&B benefit from the Indigo was quite nice to have. Now for this Spire the hotel is just a cute little boutique hotel and I will go to the CP assuming they still give lounge access to Plats/Spires.

If the CP is cutting back then Im back to Marriott properties when in Bangkok plain and simple.

Location is never an issue (BTS) so I chose hotels based on amenities.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK

Whats important I believe is that a sizable perk, unpublished benefit, gift from the IHG gods has been suddenly taken away.
It wasn't an unpublished benefit, nor was it a gift from the IHG gods. It was an initiative of the hotels concerned. IHG benefits, low as they are, are the highest level it can get its hotels to (grudgingly) agree to: some go way beyond the "official" level, others find it hard even to do the the basic.

IHG has occasionally put pressure on hotels over-egging the pleasures offered to elites, to conform.

Conformity is a condition many express a wish for in these threads - but it's never going to be set at the high level they wish for.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 1:35 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
The 800bht per person/per day F&B benefit from the Indigo was quite nice to have.
Just checked into the Hotel Indigo Bangkok.

I was not offered the 800bht per day but inquired about it. The front desk told me they stopped offering it as of Jan 1, 2016.

However, since I booked my reservation BEFORE Jan 1, they went ahead and gave it to me. ^^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.