FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   Holiday Inn London Gatwick Airport [LGW] (Master Thread) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/1737902-holiday-inn-london-gatwick-airport-lgw-master-thread.html)

shorthauldad Jan 11, 2013 10:29 pm

Holiday Inn London Gatwick Airport [LGW] (Master Thread)

Does anyone have the correct contact email for the Holiday Inn @ London Gatwick Airport?

I was given [email protected] by Holiday Inn in an online chat but that address just bounces with error "User unknown" ... :confused:

GordonUK Jan 12, 2013 8:58 am

Originally Posted by shorthauldad (Post 20029857)
Does anyone have the correct contact email for the Holiday Inn @ London Gatwick Airport?

I was given [email protected] by Holiday Inn in an online chat but that address just bounces with error "User unknown" ... :confused:

According to the website it's:

[email protected]

shorthauldad Jan 12, 2013 12:36 pm

Thanks - not sure how I missed that on the website...!

GordonUK Jan 12, 2013 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by shorthauldad (Post 20033053)
Thanks - not sure how I missed that on the website...!

No problem, you have a PM if you need any help

Exleftseat Jan 13, 2013 6:03 pm

I have found that in the many cases where the IHG website does not list a contact e-mail, the easiest solution is to go to Tripadvisor.com, punch in the hotel in the search box and then use the "contact the hotel" function to get a message out. I really hate that IHG took all the contact details out when the redesigned the website a year or so ago. The Tripadvisor provides for an easy go around.

Allie Abby Dec 5, 2015 12:51 pm

can i walk to airport from holiday inn gatwick

may book holiday inn Gatwick , know u can get shuttle , thought I read before u can walk to airport from hotel ,anyone know if u can and how far it is , wont be till june so not worried about weather

steve1975l Dec 7, 2015 2:21 am

Originally Posted by Allie Abby (Post 25818505)
may book holiday inn Gatwick , know u can get shuttle , thought I read before u can walk to airport from hotel ,anyone know if u can and how far it is , wont be till june so not worried about weather

No you can't really but it's a short taxi ride away or use the hotel shuttle.

craigthemif Dec 8, 2015 4:01 am

Originally Posted by Allie Abby (Post 25818505)

Originally Posted by steve1975l (Post 25824590)
No you can't really but it's a short taxi ride away or use the hotel shuttle.

You can, but won't want to. You need to cross busy roads without crosswalks and take an unmarked path through some woods. I spent a day wandering around the area and got well lost!

Trust me, just pay the 3-4 pounds for the shuttle. Otherwise, just stay at the on-airport Hilton or Hampton.

blindman Dec 8, 2015 4:38 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif (Post 25830328)
You can, but won't want to. You need to cross busy roads without crosswalks and take an unmarked path through some woods. I spent a day wandering around the area and got well lost!

Trust me, just pay the 3-4 pounds for the shuttle. Otherwise, just stay at the on-airport Hilton or Hampton.

Older thread here with comments.

Up to date bus links
Bus routes

Ineractive map

Bus 100 goes from Povey Cross road East stop and is £1.50.

I did walk this LGW to here one way a few years back with no luggage and it was PITA.

Not far but IIRC the road had no pavement, just a grass verge.

Bloobell Dec 8, 2015 10:02 am

Walkable but you'd be mad to do so.

£3 for the shuttle, which takes 5 minutes max

Concerto Jan 10, 2016 7:27 am

HI Gatwick Airport

I had a really bad stay at the Holiday Inn Gatwick Airport two nights ago. I had such a bad night there that I boarded a longhaul flight the next day and experienced a dodgy moment of feeling faint and going down in the aisle like a Christmas tree during the flight! But more about that elsewhere!

It really was a collection of little things that went wrong, not anything huge. As travellers we live with it and move on. But I think feedback is important, to the hotel obviously, but also here.

Pros: very pleasant staff, ease of access from Gatwick airport with regular shuttle bus at all hours, bar with a nice enough ambience, reasonably comfortable rooms and lack of noise, inside or outside.

Cons, as I experienced them:

- nobody answers the phone or emails, and the phone number is a UK 0871 premium one.
- In the room, nobody answered the phone at the front desk or housekeeping. Ok, they were busy, I can live with that, so I dressed and walked downstairs.
- The shower was inoperable, where the cable should have been attached there was a hole out of which the water pounded. Ok, I can live that, I had a bath instead. But how it reminded me of British hotels in the 70s and 80s.
- Basic amenities were missing in the room, such as soap.
- We opted to eat from the bar menu rather than sitting in the neighboring restaurant. Food orders were forgotten although somebody noticed and food eventually turned up, although certain items were missing.
- I spent much of the night trying not to puke, really. The food was so oily and just like British food in the 70s and 80s. If you must eat here, the wraps and the burgers looked ok, as did the Indian option. Don't have the fish and chips, or the steaks.
- The shuttle bus is £3 each way, which adds up if there's more than one of you.
- The corridors and stairs really did look and smell like a British hotel from the 70s or 80s.

The last two items I wouldn't have bothered mentioning here, but I wanted to complete the list. Staff were friendly and helpful, like I say, but this hotel follows the great 21st century British tradition of employing cheap east European labor. Verdict: avoid this hotel until it improves. But I think IHG should withdraw its license. And don't stay at the other hotels I saw on the bus route, namely the Travelodge and The Airport Inn. They really don't look good, and I usually have a good nose for this.

Sisyphus1carus Mar 22, 2016 6:31 pm

Bugger. Sorry you had such a shocker. I've just booked a night there (with parking) for 25th April so that's disappointed me.
I usually stay at the CP but that was more than I wanted to spend this time. Should have just stuck with them :-(

Originally Posted by Concerto (Post 25993864)
I had a really bad stay at the Holiday Inn Gatwick Airport two nights ago. I had such a bad night there that I boarded a longhaul flight the next day and experienced a dodgy moment of feeling faint and going down in the aisle like a Christmas tree during the flight! But more about that elsewhere!

It really was a collection of little things that went wrong, not anything huge. As travellers we live with it and move on. But I think feedback is important, to the hotel obviously, but also here.

Pros: very pleasant staff, ease of access from Gatwick airport with regular shuttle bus at all hours, bar with a nice enough ambience, reasonably comfortable rooms and lack of noise, inside or outside.

Cons, as I experienced them:

- nobody answers the phone or emails, and the phone number is a UK 0871 premium one.
- In the room, nobody answered the phone at the front desk or housekeeping. Ok, they were busy, I can live with that, so I dressed and walked downstairs.
- The shower was inoperable, where the cable should have been attached there was a hole out of which the water pounded. Ok, I can live that, I had a bath instead. But how it reminded me of British hotels in the 70s and 80s.
- Basic amenities were missing in the room, such as soap.
- We opted to eat from the bar menu rather than sitting in the neighboring restaurant. Food orders were forgotten although somebody noticed and food eventually turned up, although certain items were missing.
- I spent much of the night trying not to puke, really. The food was so oily and just like British food in the 70s and 80s. If you must eat here, the wraps and the burgers looked ok, as did the Indian option. Don't have the fish and chips, or the steaks.
- The shuttle bus is £3 each way, which adds up if there's more than one of you.
- The corridors and stairs really did look and smell like a British hotel from the 70s or 80s.

The last two items I wouldn't have bothered mentioning here, but I wanted to complete the list. Staff were friendly and helpful, like I say, but this hotel follows the great 21st century British tradition of employing cheap east European labor. Verdict: avoid this hotel until it improves. But I think IHG should withdraw its license. And don't stay at the other hotels I saw on the bus route, namely the Travelodge and The Airport Inn. They really don't look good, and I usually have a good nose for this.

Concerto Apr 1, 2016 4:49 pm

I will be glad to get your feedback about it. Although I'm not sure why: there is no chance in Hades I will ever stay at that hotel again. On balance, you'll probably be ok. I undoubtedly was unlucky, as one can be from time to time as a traveller.

BrightlyBob Apr 2, 2016 4:16 am

Oh, yeah, that HI Gatwick is naasty, man! Strangely enough it is those corridors and the smell that is really offputting. For LGW I use the Courtyard which is similarly priced, well run, good food and a 7 min well signposted walk to the terminal. If you don't like the walk there is a regular Hoppa at £3pp.

Concerto Apr 2, 2016 2:24 pm

But that's really a British problem, isn't it? I've never known hotels anywhere else to stink the same way British hotels do, although I am sure there must be horror hotels everywhere. In Scotland, years ago, we would automatically avoid hotels and go for B&Bs. Much better choice. Anyway, thanks for the tip at Gatwick.