IC London O2 Master Thread

Old Dec 19, 15, 10:48 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Canary Wharf, London
Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Posts: 2,475
IC London O2 Master Thread

Arrived shortly after 3pm and my room wasn't quite ready so had a complimentary coffee whilst I waited. Eighteen, the top floor bar won't be open till next year, but the Clipper bar is, will try that out tonight.

Upgraded from a Superior King to a Riverview Superior King. Room was very hot. Hopefully it will have cooled down by the time I go back later.

There is still work being done around the place and I believe it's about 20% capacity today.

Everything looks very nice though, all brand new, and a welcome addition to the hotel/bar scene round this way.

A few pics of the place...

IMG_20151219_151747 by Mike, on Flickr

IMG_20151219_151814 by Mike, on Flickr

IMG_20151219_155316 by Mike, on Flickr

IMG_20151219_155247 by Mike, on Flickr

IMG_20151219_155830 by Mike, on Flickr
chistery is offline  
Old Dec 20, 15, 12:19 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: in a cabin
Posts: 6,272
Thanks for posting! The heat is a concern... can't stand warm rooms.
Petrus is offline  
Old Dec 20, 15, 6:58 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: UK
Programs: IHG
Posts: 1,231
hmm. the mini-bar is almost skeletal.
turner32 is offline  
Old Dec 20, 15, 9:43 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: PARIS (France)
Programs: AF/KLM LTP| Emirates Gold |InterContinental Spire RA |A Club Gold |AMEX Plat| Visa Plat |Hertz P
Posts: 8,681
Originally Posted by turner32 View Post
hmm. the mini-bar is almost skeletal.
As long as I can see Diet Coke, that's fine with me

What about club lounge ?
nicolas75 is offline  
Old Dec 27, 15, 5:14 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: London
Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Posts: 26,083
Friend of mine ate here on Christmas Eve and was told they had 8 - yes, 8 - rooms operational! Not sure if he got confused or if the building schedule really is that bad.

He was officially the first non-resident to eat in the restaurant.
Raffles is offline  
Old Dec 27, 15, 8:19 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Canary Wharf, London
Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Posts: 2,475
Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
Friend of mine ate here on Christmas Eve and was told they had 8 - yes, 8 - rooms operational! Not sure if he got confused or if the building schedule really is that bad.
Well the O2 can't be the best place to spend Christmas day with no public transport and nothing open.

I imagine they'll do quite well when there's a major event on at the O2.
chistery is offline  
Old Jan 2, 16, 2:26 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: UK
Programs: IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Plat, VS Silver
Posts: 1,265
Originally Posted by nicolas75 View Post
What about club lounge ?
The Club Lounge is not yet open (according to my welcome letter).

In terms of other dining venues:

Meridian Lounge in the lobby - open serving coffees/teas/cakes (which looked delicious)/light breakfast

Clipper Bar on the first floor (second for those who consider the ground floor to be the first) - open for drinks and light snacks (some glasses of wine looked a bit too expensive for my tastes - a Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc was GBP18 a glass but there were others half that price). Great view over Canary Wharf and the hotel entrance

Market Brasserie - next to the Clipper Bar serving an excellent breakfast buffet and other meals

Eighteen - now open on the 18th floor (didn't get a chance to look at it)


Which leaves the following not open (I was told many of these would happen in January):

Peninsula Restaurant
Walkway through to the O2 (currently, if walking from North Greenwich Underground, cut through the bus station and round the side of the main O2 building to get to the hotel car park)
Club Lounge
Spa/Pool
Quite a bit of landscaping

As I mentioned in the Ambassador thread, I was treated very well by the staff at the hotel and would recommend.

One final point - the TV had mainly Freeview channels but with the usual foreign language channels, e.g. TV5 Monde, ARD 1, etc. In addition, there was BT Sport 1 and 2 (but no Sky Sports)

Raffles - I can't believe there's only 8 rooms - there were a lot more names than that on the breakfast list

Last edited by davidw70; Jan 2, 16 at 2:33 pm
davidw70 is offline  
Old Jan 2, 16, 3:34 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: PARIS (France)
Programs: AF/KLM LTP| Emirates Gold |InterContinental Spire RA |A Club Gold |AMEX Plat| Visa Plat |Hertz P
Posts: 8,681
Originally Posted by davidw70 View Post
The Club Lounge is not yet open (according to my welcome letter).

In terms of other dining venues:

Meridian Lounge in the lobby - open serving coffees/teas/cakes (which looked delicious)/light breakfast

Clipper Bar on the first floor (second for those who consider the ground floor to be the first) - open for drinks and light snacks (some glasses of wine looked a bit too expensive for my tastes - a Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc was GBP18 a glass but there were others half that price). Great view over Canary Wharf and the hotel entrance

Market Brasserie - next to the Clipper Bar serving an excellent breakfast buffet and other meals

Eighteen - now open on the 18th floor (didn't get a chance to look at it)


Which leaves the following not open (I was told many of these would happen in January):

Peninsula Restaurant
Walkway through to the O2 (currently, if walking from North Greenwich Underground, cut through the bus station and round the side of the main O2 building to get to the hotel car park)
Club Lounge
Spa/Pool
Quite a bit of landscaping

As I mentioned in the Ambassador thread, I was treated very well by the staff at the hotel and would recommend.

One final point - the TV had mainly Freeview channels but with the usual foreign language channels, e.g. TV5 Monde, ARD 1, etc. In addition, there was BT Sport 1 and 2 (but no Sky Sports)

Raffles - I can't believe there's only 8 rooms - there were a lot more names than that on the breakfast list

Thank you for your comments.
Currently at the hotel

First impression:
+
Warmly welcomed by friendly staff
Nice room (even if it is more a room than a suite) and great view

-
Architecture of the hotel is really poor
No signs from Underground station (don't follow O2 direction: it is just the opposite)
Entrance strangely facing the river (which means you see first the parking)
Current surroundings looking more a building site rather than luxury hotel (you walk along a way which is so uninviting that you have the feeling to be the delivery man of a building site).
Club lounge is closed but hotel selling club rooms
Spa is closed. No pool
nicolas75 is offline  
Old Jan 2, 16, 3:55 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: UK
Programs: IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Plat, VS Silver
Posts: 1,265
Sorry to have missed you nicolas75.

Not sure I agree on the architecture - it is pretty much what you'd expect for a modern riverside building in London. Admittedly from the outside, it is not anywhere near as impressive as Davos, but inside I think they've done a good job.

Agree they shouldn't be selling Club rooms without an open lounge.
davidw70 is offline  
Old Jan 3, 16, 8:24 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: in a cabin
Posts: 6,272
I arrive tomorrow evening nicolas75. You still around?
Was hoping the pool would be open for some exercising. What upgrade did you get?
Petrus is offline  
Old Jan 3, 16, 2:02 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: PARIS (France)
Programs: AF/KLM LTP| Emirates Gold |InterContinental Spire RA |A Club Gold |AMEX Plat| Visa Plat |Hertz P
Posts: 8,681
Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
I arrive tomorrow evening nicolas75. You still around?
Was hoping the pool would be open for some exercising. What upgrade did you get?
Hey Petrus
I checked-out today.

I expected the pool too but - as the club lounge and business centre - they are not open yet (despite no indication about it on internet site ).

As a compensation, I received free breakfast (which is very good) and club access for my next stay.

I received as an upgraded a so called suite ...which is not exactly a suite (but nice and comfortable).

All details on twitter
nicolas75 is offline  
Old Jan 4, 16, 10:29 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: PARIS (France)
Programs: AF/KLM LTP| Emirates Gold |InterContinental Spire RA |A Club Gold |AMEX Plat| Visa Plat |Hertz P
Posts: 8,681
pictures of the hotel
nicolas75 is offline  
Old Jan 4, 16, 2:03 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 12
I am staying here at the beginning of March and have been told that all facilities will be open by then. The Hotel also told me that lounge access will cost Ambassadors 75 per room compared to the normal 95 per night.
woodcocksj is offline  
Old Jan 4, 16, 4:27 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: PARIS (France)
Programs: AF/KLM LTP| Emirates Gold |InterContinental Spire RA |A Club Gold |AMEX Plat| Visa Plat |Hertz P
Posts: 8,681
Originally Posted by nicolas75 View Post
I will be there early January

Full report will be done
As promised:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25961483-post18.html
nicolas75 is offline  
Old Jan 5, 16, 4:29 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: in a cabin
Posts: 6,272
Had my first night out of three and impressions are mixed so far:

Positives
GYM is very very good
Breakfast of high quality
Comfortable bed - slept extremely well
Room is modern and of good standard, but not Luxury
Views West are fantastic
Public areas pleasing
Staff are outstanding - but then occupancy is not even 10%
Was upgraded to a deluxe Suite. Not sure I would class it as a suite, junior would be more accurate. View is straight on the O2... will change today to a different view

Negatives
Overall the quality of the building and fittings is of UK standard. It looks rushed and not properly crafted in places. Gaps visible
Prices in the restaurants are shocking. They want 80 for a bottle of NZ Pinot Cloudy Bay and meals are too highly priced. With the O2 less than 10 minutes away and a bucket load of mostly chain restaurants to dine at they have competition
The overall impression from rooms and public areas is that this is a high-end business hotel, not a luxury 5-star like the Park Lane
Petrus is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: