Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC London O2 (Greenwich) Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2019, 8:14 am

Similar experience really..

We stayed there 14th August before an early City Airport flight.

Arrived 4.30 PM. Room not ready. Was told "One of our other Ambassadors must be enjoying a late checkout" Well good for them
Sent up to Lounge which was empty as afternoon tea had been cleared away. Waited an hour. Lounge assistant felt embarrassed/sorry for us and phoned reception to be told " We have no idea when the room will be ready"
Waited another half an hour before going down to reception myself as no one had called to update us. Miraculously the room was ready now!

Room was a City Suite with lounge access anyway but was pretty sick of the Lounge by now. No problem with the Hotel, the room was great and as described.
Got a £15 credit on drinks which just about paid for a G&T at the bar. No Amb. upgrade or apology for the room being late.

Has happened to me a couple of times recently actually - usually in "better" hotels. never had a problem in a Novotel or HIX etc . Assume this is due to more late checkouts and less availability of more premium rooms/suites. However, it was dealt with brilliantly at Hilton Bankside and the Westminster in le Touquet- free drinks, a gift at Bankside and the receptionist actually came to find us with the key. In both instances the wait was also less than 30 minutes.
dimon84 likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2020, 9:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
We stayed here a few weekends ago. I recently joined the Ambassador program and thought it would be a chance to see the benefits as we needed a hotel room in London. At check-in, only 2 PM check-out was available, but they could give us an upgraded room. The room assigned seemed to be a category below that booked. It was only after moving to a third room that we got the correct type, the second room was identical one floor up, and the third was the right category but with no upgrade.

On checking out, I asked about the guaranteed benefits, and the agent told me I could have the 4 PM check-out now if we wanted. We were packed and ready to leave, so we didn’t take them up on it. No points compensation was offered on either of the missing benefits (although late check-out was arguably now offered).

I have tried to email them over the last week, but they say the 10,000 points for either are not due. It’s probably not worth the effort of continued emails, but I am highlighting it here as an additional data point on the benefits received. Overall with respect to the program benefits, it was quite disappointing.
TGLoyalty likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 7:37 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Very odd service issues here as in the past there were no issues with either getting the upgrade nor the 4pm checkout.

Even more surprised as in these times the occupancy must be very low.

I would forget about emails and ask the general manager to phone you directly as they have clearly let you down and continue to do so.
Old May 13, 2021, 1:36 pm

Programs: BA Silver, ICH Plat Amb
We had some good stays despite the restrictions last year.

Were booked up for stays in June, but have now been told it's going to be used as a Government Quarantine hotel so the hotel will be closed again until further notice
They haven't actually cancelled our room reservations but did cancel how restaurant bookings.

Now a clear notice on their website.
Old May 14, 2021, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by PantsFlyer
We had some good stays despite the restrictions last year.

Were booked up for stays in June, but have now been told it's going to be used as a Government Quarantine hotel so the hotel will be closed again until further notice
They haven't actually cancelled our room reservations but did cancel how restaurant bookings.

Now a clear notice on their website.

I got an email last night saying that it was closed due to being a quarantine hotel and about forty minutes later received a cancellation email. Will need to look at my options over the weekend and decide where I am going to go instead.
Old May 17, 2021, 1:44 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Ok, this is a bit of a rant. But I booked a City InterCon Suite on 22 Feb for a long weekend stay end of May / beginning of June. Total cost for 3 nights £756, fully flex til 3 days before.

Received a weirdly worded email from IHG guest relations basically telling me my reservation was cancelled because the hotel had been ‘selected’ as a quarantine hotel. I emailed back saying is there any option here given IHG has chosen to contract with the govt, could they offer me a comparable room at ICPL or Fitzroy at same price? Got a reply basically saying no but call us.

Called and the agent tried to quote me a rate firstly for a single room at the Fitzroy then an Urban room but at a higher price - I could get a lower rate on IHG.com. Agent kept mixing up USD and GBP.

Anyway, I’ve ended up booking myself into the Indigo Kensington. I stayed there once before when it was new and was impressed at helpfulness of staff and quality of rooms.

I am not surprised that IHG haven’t helped me out here. I’m normally pretty stoic about these things but I must say I’m disappointed. I don’t mind that they’ve done a deal with the govt, that property by the O2 with no events & no meetings (given size of ballroom) must be losing money hand over fist & I want them to survive. But I am pissed that they just dumped me with not even a goodwill gesture with no accom over a bank hol weekend.

I’ve quite regularly stayed at this property for years and had expected better, to be honest. :-(

Here’s text of initial email:“We are contacting you regarding your upcoming reservation at the InterContinental London – The O2, checking in on May 29, 2021. The safety of our guests is the number one priority and as one of our steps to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, we would like to advise that while hotels are allowed to reopen on Monday, 17th May 2021, we would like to inform you that InterContinental London – The O2 has been selected to operate as one of the Government’s approved quarantine hotels until further notice, thus the cancellation of your reservation. The hotel’s Food & Beverage outlets, the SPA and gym will also remain closed for the time being. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

All fees and penalties will be waived and refund (which may be vouchers where required by local law) and will be processed directly by the hotel as soon as possible. While IHG Rewards Night points or IHG Rewards Chase MasterCard Free Night (if applicable) will be returned in line with IHG Global Policies.

If you need further assistance, please contact our Customer Care team or you may call the numbers listed below. You can also opt to book a new reservation by visiting our website at www.ihg.com or our mobile app.

As an IHG Rewards Spire Ambassador/Karma member and valued guest, we realize you have many choices when it comes to your travel needs. We thank you for your patronage and look forward to serving you in the near future.”
Old May 17, 2021, 4:30 pm

Yes I’ve had the exact same email for a mid June stay which was to use my BOGOF voucher.

The voucher has already been extended by the six months so it’s gone. I wouldn’t mind too much but I’ve now had eight reservations cancelled trying to use it so it’s not like I’ve sat on it and then tried to use it at the last minute. I even tried to use it at IC Edinburgh (ten minute walk from home) in December and the hotel tried to stiff me by moving me to the Kimpton at the IC rate when the Kimpton was circa £60 a night cheaper when booking.

I replied back to the email voicing my displeasure and copied the hotel in. Radio silence from the hotel and an absolutely nonsensical response from IHG ultimately advising that someone from the Rewards team would be in touch.

I’ve also had numerous stays here and agree it’s the manner it’s been handled that’s aggravated me more.
IAMORGAN likes this.
Old May 18, 2021, 1:02 am

Here’s the reply from guest relations to my request to be moved to the ICPL/Kimpton saying they don’t have time to help me.

“First, allow me to thank you for including IHG Hotels and Resorts in your choices when it comes to lodging, and we truly appreciate your business.

I realize you have been greatly inconvenienced due to the cancellation of your reservation since the InterContinental London – The O2 has been selected to operate as one of the Government’s approved quarantine hotels; I am sincerely sorry. I certainly understand a situation like this is frustrating, especially as alternate accommodation has to be arranged. Regarding this, I took note you are asking if you can be offered a comparable room in our InterContinental hotels or Kimpton property. As much as I wanted to further assist you, please be advised that we can't book a reservation through email due to time restraints. With this, I highly advise you to contact us at +44 2033 499 179.

Alternatively, you may call our hotel or our Central Reservation Office at 1- 800-HOLIDAY (800 465 4329). Our reservation agents can definitely assist you in planning your reservation. Also, I have provided our other InterContinental and Kimpton properties in London below together with their contact details. I hope this helps!

- InterContinental Hotels London Park Lane
Phone: 44 207 409 3131
Email: [email protected]

- Kimpton Fitzroy London
Phone: 44 207 520 1800
Email: [email protected]

I appreciate you as an IHG Rewards Spire Elite member and being part of the IHG Hotels and Resorts family since 2008. I hope to continue this relationship in the years ahead.

Stay Safe,”
chrism20 likes this.
Old May 20, 2021, 1:00 am

Response from the property

Have finally received a response from the property which says

"We are working with our colleagues from IHG Central reservations to cancel the reservations and we have provided sufficient notice to our guests about us being selected to become a quarantine hotel for the coming period."
IAMORGAN likes this.
Old May 21, 2021, 7:20 am

Programs: Amex Cent and all that comes with it
"Selected" ROFL
IAMORGAN likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 7:47 am

So, the hotel was bookable again from towards the end of June. I booked in again and emailed the hotel to basically say can you do something for me?

The answer was we’ll look after you BUT we might cancel your reservation as we might be ‘selected’ again but if they are I can rest assured I won’t be penalised - well given i’m on a flex rate I wasn’t worried and why would I be penalised?! Suffice to say I have cancelled this future booking - they shouldn’t be taking bookings at all:

”We are sorry for any inconvenience caused previously, however the Government has selected us for this programme and it is our duty to support them offering accommodation to guest travelling from red zone countries and we have tried to inform all our guests as soon as we had the information. For health and safety reasons we can not accommodate any leisure guest.

At this time, the contract signed with the Government is in place until 23rd of June. However, we are awaiting for more information in the next couple of days to see whether the contract will be extended after the above date or not.

I would like to reassure you that, should the agreement be extended, your reservation will be cancelled without penalties and you can contact IHG Reservations in order to find alternative hotels in the area.

Furthermore, as we are informing our guests in advance we can not offer any sort of compensation, but, I have now updated your profile and we will do our best to look after you in the future.

We thank you for your understanding and please do not hesitate to contact me directly for any further assistance.

Kind Regards,

Guest Relations Manager”

I should make clear that my quibble here is around the way in which this is being communicated rather than any issue of principle. Of course I understand why they are doing it and I don’t blame any individual staff members here - I just think it’s poor service.

Last edited by IAMORGAN; Jun 6, 2021 at 8:01 am
Old Jun 6, 2021, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN

I should make clear that my quibble here is around the way in which this is being communicated rather than any issue of principle. Of course I understand why they are doing it and I don’t blame any individual staff members here - I just think it’s poor service.
Yes it is the manner in which they have dealt with the situation that has annoyed me the most also.

In the emails that have went back and forth they are wording them to try and make it sound like the Government have commandeered the hotel when its blatant that Arora have pitched to be the main quarantine provider. Looking at the LCY arrivals though I'm struggling to work out why there needs to be a quarantine hotel in the vicinity unless they are bussing people from LHR/LGW/STN.

As my reservation was using the expiring BOGOF I've also had a back and forth with IHG. They replied telling me to contact the hotel GM to address the service issues with the reservation and gave me their name plus 20,000 points to go away.
IAMORGAN and mradey like this.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by chrism20
Looking at the LCY arrivals though I'm struggling to work out why there needs to be a quarantine hotel in the vicinity unless they are bussing people from LHR/LGW/STN.
The only UK airports that can accept red list arrivals are LHR and BHX, in dedicated terminals - so they're bussing to the O2!
Old Jun 7, 2021, 1:26 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Genius1
The only UK airports that can accept red list arrivals are LHR and BHX, in dedicated terminals - so they're bussing to the O2!
I think it is Heathrow and Birmingham that are now accepting direct flights from some red list countries

If you have been in a red list country you have to arrive into LHR, Gatwick, London City, Birmingham, Bristol and Farnborough via an indirect flight and then go to a quarantine hotel

​​​​
Genius1 likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 9:20 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
So, the hotel was bookable again from towards the end of June. I booked in again and emailed the hotel to basically say can you do something for me?

The answer was we’ll look after you BUT we might cancel your reservation as we might be ‘selected’ again but if they are I can rest assured I won’t be penalised - well given i’m on a flex rate I wasn’t worried and why would I be penalised?! Suffice to say I have cancelled this future booking - they shouldn’t be taking bookings at all:

”We are sorry for any inconvenience caused previously, however the Government has selected us for this programme and it is our duty to support them offering accommodation to guest travelling from red zone countries and we have tried to inform all our guests as soon as we had the information. For health and safety reasons we can not accommodate any leisure guest.

At this time, the contract signed with the Government is in place until 23rd of June. However, we are awaiting for more information in the next couple of days to see whether the contract will be extended after the above date or not.

I would like to reassure you that, should the agreement be extended, your reservation will be cancelled without penalties and you can contact IHG Reservations in order to find alternative hotels in the area.

Furthermore, as we are informing our guests in advance we can not offer any sort of compensation, but, I have now updated your profile and we will do our best to look after you in the future.

We thank you for your understanding and please do not hesitate to contact me directly for any further assistance.

Kind Regards,

Guest Relations Manager”

I have a booking which has not been cancelled but having looked this thread will be at any moment.

My concern is not that they have put themselves forward as a quarantine venue but that they are doing nothing to help those guests who booked a room and who are now simply being dumped. It doesn't matter how well you communicate this, this is lousy service. Either re accommodate guests at another hotel ( it doesn't need to be the IC Park Lane) but look after them. Few of us could complain about this if a suitable alternative were made. You could even through in some compensation to sweeten the pill.

Just poor

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.