What does a bonus points booking look like?

Old Jan 3, 16, 9:24 am
Original Poster

What does a bonus points booking look like?

Don't know what thread to post this in so I figured to create a thread to ask. A question for anyone who has done a bonus points night at any IHG hotel, what does your bill look like?

Is it very clear that you're paying extra for the points? Do those with expense accounts ever do them or do you just do them for personal/mattress runs?

Just curious to see if I can get away doing the bonus points packages for my business stays and not have the person checking my expenses get upset.
Old Jan 3, 16, 9:33 am

Most ok the ones I've had (UK) simply show as "Accommodation". I can only remember one that shows up as the name of the rate.
Old Jan 3, 16, 12:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I've never noticed anything specific on my bills mentioning the bonus point rate.

I suspect the main target customer is precisely those who aren't paying but are tempted by the additional points. Whether this is appropriate behaviour is for each person to decide.
Old Jan 3, 16, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

So it just looks like a regular bill basically? I have a limit of $150 for hotel rooms per night. If I can get them for cheaper I might as well just do the bonus points I guess.
Old Jan 3, 16, 9:16 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Spire AMB, HH Gold, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
It doesn't list it as a special rate or makes any mention of bonus points and certainly doesn't have a separate line item for "paying" for the points. At least I have not seen that at any hotel where I booked that rate.
Old Jan 4, 16, 5:34 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Silver
If I remember correctly, the rate code is usually listed as IKP5K in the upper right corner of my receipt for the 5000 points package. It's the same line that lists my corporate rate when I stay using it.
Old Jan 4, 16, 5:50 am

Let's assume it does get billed indistinguishable from a regular stay. Let's assume you max it out, and can do it 100 times a year.
Great half a million IHG points!
Now, ask yourself the question, is the reward big enough you would want to risk getting fired over?
Old Jan 4, 16, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by 336 View Post
Now, ask yourself the question, is the reward big enough you would want to risk getting fired over?
Perhaps the OPs answer is YES. I know mine is a Yes too.
Old Jan 4, 16, 7:48 am
Original Poster

The smart answer would be no. But with the way things are going lately with my job I'm leaning more towards yes.
Old Jan 4, 16, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
Originally Posted by 336 View Post
Let's assume it does get billed indistinguishable from a regular stay. Let's assume you max it out, and can do it 100 times a year.
Great half a million IHG points!
My moral compass can be very unreliable, and I'm certainly not a holier than thou type - but these rates, where guests are encouraged to rip off their employers or clients with padded invoices, are an appalling manifestation of malfeasance.
Old Jan 4, 16, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Choice Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
My moral compass can be very unreliable, and I'm certainly not a holier than thou type - but these rates, where guests are encouraged to rip off their employers or clients with padded invoices, are an appalling manifestation of malfeasance.
IMO if they are given an amount per night that they are allowed to spend, why not use it to get extra points if they are within their allowance, nothing wrong with that.

I wouldn't go over and try to loose my job for points but if I can swing an extra bonus for $20 and still stay under my allotted spend amount per night, whats wrong with that?
Old Jan 4, 16, 4:23 pm

Looks like this question is good material to be part of a job interview test.
Old Jan 5, 16, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
Originally Posted by miadukes View Post
IMO if they are given an amount per night that they are allowed to spend, why not use it to get extra points if they are within their allowance, nothing wrong with that.
I think employers might not agree with you....

Originally Posted by miadukes View Post
I wouldn't go over and try to loose my job for points .....

..... as you appear to acknowledge.
Old Jan 6, 16, 10:43 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hyatt, IHG cards
I recently stayed at a Hotel Indigo (for personal travel) and got a 30k bonus points rate. The bill did not reflect the points as part of the rate. The points were only mentioned on my email reservation confirmation.

I don't know what I was supposed to do, but hotel checked me out via express checkout (a piece of paper under my door) with no mention of any points voucher. For a week or so after checkout I hadn't gotten my 30k points, so I submitted a missing points form...and got 3k points as "Loyalty GoodWill Points". Evidently someone at IHG thought I'd made a typo.

I called to ask about the other 27k, and the CSR only gave me the other 27k points after I emailed him my reservation confirmation that said "Rate type: 30000 bonus points". There seemed to be no other record or evidence of my rate type at all.

The 30k, in the form "Loyalty GoodWill Points" were elite-qualifying, although I didn't end up staying frequently enough to hit Spire, anyway.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: