Please post your Rewards Club Experience (Archive Thread 2016)

Old Aug 10, 2016, 3:48 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold, IHG - Spire Ambassador
HI Toronto Downtown Centre

HI Toronto Downtown Centre

What is your Priority Club status? Spire

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay? Yes

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive? I booked an entry level room, 2 Double Beds in June which was very quickly upgraded to a 2 Double Beds Executive shortly after booking. This meant an adult only floor. As I was travelling with my two sons, we were downgraded to 2 Double Beds at check in. Funny, as my original booking was for 1 adult and 2 children.

How are the rooms? On the small side but well thought out. There was room to walk around the beds although with two chairs in the room one person always had to sit on the bed. There is a fridge and safe in the wardrobe. Plenty of drawers and hanging space for clothes. Large screen TV and Keurig coffee machine on the desk. Bathroom amenities were better than in some other HI with mouthwash and cotton wool balls/Q tips as standard.

How is the exec. lounge? NA

What was good and what was bad?

Good - pool, spa and fitness area were fab. Underused so sometimes we were the only group in the pool. My welcome points posted quickly. There was a large urn of iced tea in the lobby for guests to help themselves to. The staff were mostly attentive and friendly. The restaurant food was reasonably priced and the portions generous. We only ate one meal there on the first night of eight because.......

Bad - we had planned to eat breakfast in the hotel every day, have lunch out then return to the hotel for dinner because kids eat free. When we read the small print, only 12 years and under were entitled to eat free. We asked if my eldest son (who had turned 13 earlier in the year) could order from the kids menu and we would pay for it. We were told this was out of the question and he had to order an adult meal. We ate out after this because there are no end of restaurants in Downtown Toronto with a kids menu, which suited my son. The hotel missed out on quite a bit of additional income since we were there for eight nights.

Finally, there were renovations underway which was frustrating as half of the sun deck had been closed off for this work.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return? We paid Ł125 a night and would return at this rate as it was good value for the area.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 3:12 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
CP ANA Fukuoka

CP ANA Fukuoka

What is your Priority Club status?
Spire

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay? Yes

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Cheapest, got club corner room with club access.

How are the rooms?
Fairly large room in good condition with one single and one double bed. Big bathroom for Japan, with tub only.
The club rooms on club level are renovated, the club corner is not and is also priced lower.

How is the exec. lounge?
Very nice place on the mezzanine level.
Decent breakfast and happy hour with substantial food options. Very attentive and friendly staff.

Good

- Excellent staff
- Very good hotel hardware for Japan
- Great, unexpected upgrade
- Free printing for boarding passes

Bad
- Nothing

Value for € or Priority Club Points? Would you return?
Anytime
Old Aug 11, 2016, 7:18 pm

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach - Ventura Beach, CA

Platinum

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
Yes

Booked standard king. Upgraded to a suite, which was really two adjacent rooms - one normal room and one that wraps around the elevator and is furnished like a late-80's living room.

How are the rooms?
Great value for a free night, but the standard king alone would have been cramped. Nice ocean views from the balcony.

How is the exec. lounge?
N/A - did get two welcome drinks plus a coupon for an appetizer at their on-site Mexican restaurant.

Good
Overall positive experiences with staff, service. Beachfront location. Liked the beachfront pool. F&B were pretty good and reasonably priced for CP. Extremely generous upgrade given that it was a last minute booking during a peak period.

Bad

Some furnishings are dated. Many young families given the beachfront location. Thought it was a little cheap that management operated a fire pit by the beach but refused to permit blankets - even the no-fun-permitted CP Antalya had blankets...

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?
Paid with the Chase IHG Free Night. Would have been $178 or 25k points otherwise. I understand that the hotel was particularly crowded during our visit due to the county fair down the street, which 99% of our fellow guests were attending. Probably would return.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 4:14 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb., Marriott Gold, FB Plat, BAEC Silver
Holiday Inn Leiden

Holiday Inn Leiden

Gold

Yes

Cheapest, got King room, wich is a small upgrade (one step higher)

How are the rooms?
Large and clean rooms. Badroom a little dated. Excellent bed. Filled minibar.

How is the exec. lounge?
N/A

Good
- Upgrade;
- Nice rooms;
- Fast internet;

Bad
- Staff in the "Ocean Bar" was not always friendly.

Yes.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 12:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz P.C., GE/NEXUS
[Spain] Hotel Indigo Madrid - Gran Via

What is your Priority Club status? Platinum

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?Yes

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive? Booked standard (did not specify bed type), was told I was upgraded, received what looked like an Executive room on the 9th floor with a Queen bed (they claim it was a King).

How are the rooms? Nicely furnished, strong A/C, would be a bit cramped for 2 pax or if you had a large suitcase, but I was solo with a carry-on only, so no complaints.

How is the exec. lounge? None on property, they had a 'Sky Lounge' by the rooftop pool open to all guests, pretty small, I went up for a peek but did not stay.

Good:

- Clean, modern room, strong A/C, slept like a log.

- Friendly front desk, was able to check in at 11:30 am upon arrival, got a good shower in and hit the ground running on a short weekend getaway. Big thumbs up.

- Perfect location for tourists right next to Plaza del Callao. Was able to take multiple breaks from sightseeing throughout the day with the extreme heat.

Bad:
- 2 extremely tiny elevators that take forever, probably a 3-4 minute wait on average.

- Housekeeping was quite slow, only needed it one day, went back for a break at 3 pm and room still wasn't cleaned until 5 pm.

- Wifi not usable with VPN, ended up using my prepaid-sim instead.

Decent value, the minuses were minor annoyance and did not detract too much from the pluses, might try the IC next time but wouldn't rule out a return here.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 12:48 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb., Marriott Gold, FB Plat, BAEC Silver
Crowne Plaza Den Haag Promenade

Crowne Plaza Den Haag Promenade

Gold

Yes

Booked a deluxe room on a cheap rate by a third party. After showing my Gold Pass the check in agent gave me an upgrade to Executive Room.

How are the rooms?
Large and clean room. Nice view on the park. Also a large bathroom with seperate shower and bath. Minibar was full.

How is the exec. lounge?
N/A

Good
- Very nice check in. Given a welcome gift and a drink voucher (or points);
- Upgrade;
- Points posted after stay (despite it was a third party booking);

Bad
- Wasn't noticed at the (very uncrowded) breakfast;
- Bar staff wasn't very attentive.

Yes.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 2:30 pm

Indigo Berlin Ku'damm

Indigo Berlin Ku'damm

Platinum Ambassador

Yes, warm welcome at desk. Location is good. Rooms were modern. Breakfast had some hot options, smoked salmon, awesomely fresh bread, and the usual spread.

Booked most basic room, got told I was getting an executive room. It was on the top floor, with an amazing roof terrace! If you're a smoker you should request those top floor rooms with balconies.

How are the rooms?
Room was generous size for a city hotel, bathroom had a rainforest shower.

Dolce gusto pod machine with lots of tea and coffee pods.

Status got me a plate of fruit, and an extra free bottle of water as well as a handwritten note in room.

Toiletries were Aveda.

Aircon was good, but maybe a bit too good. Felt cold after a while and had to turn it off.

How is the exec. lounge?
Did not use, do not know if they have one.

Good: solid room upgrade. Free fruit and water and coffee pods. Also received 600 extra points, wasn't told at check-in and just appeared in account. Buffet breakfast was good for an Indigo, worth paying for.

Bad: a bit soulless, small lobby. On a main road, so lower floor rooms will get noise pollution.

Berlin hotels are normally dirt cheap, so I would be surprised if this is good value in points at any time of the year. I paid 70 euros per night for my stay on a Monday night in August,thought it was acceptable value compared to alternatives.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Holiday Inn & Suites - Vancouver Downtown

What is your IHG RewardsClub status?
Spire Royal Ambassador

Yes

Booked on points, and received an king executive suite

How are the rooms?
Around 45sqm.
The room, which has been recently renovated in a clean corporate design, is separated by half wall with television set on both sides

Seating area with sofa and armchair
Bed area with comfortable bed
Desk with plugs sockets.

Flat screen television with US and Canadian good selection of cable channels.

Keurig Coffee machine
Iron and ironing board

Pretty quiet from outside, but you can easily hear noise from corridor (or housekeeping area which is next to the room, as it occupies the space normally devoted to the bathroom on the bed side suite).

Tiny bathroom with bathtub.
No sleepers or bathrobe
Signature collection amenities (I must confess I like them)

How is the Executive Lounge?
N/A

Good:
  • Friendly staff
  • Very convenient location : located downtown, just opposite the Cinémathčque theater, 5 minutes walk to the Contemporary Art Gallery, 15 minutes walk to the waterfront
  • Small but pleasant indoor heated pool
  • You can rent some bikes at Access Rent a Car, 3 minutes from the hotel

Bad
  • The breakfast, which is not offered to Spire members, is very basic: more what you could expect at Holiday Inn Express (few choice, poor quality, industrial pastries).

Definitely if you stay on points as the hotel is very expensive. Otherwise, there are better options at boutique hotels.

Pictures of the city

Last edited by nicolas75; Aug 21, 2016 at 7:58 am
Old Aug 20, 2016, 7:46 pm

Holiday inn express sequim, wa

HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS SEQUIM, WA

What is your Priority Club status? Gold (last stay - 2014 or 2015); Platinum (this time)

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay? Last time, yes. This time, so-so.

Both times the cheapest-category 2-queen.
Last time, upgraded to a 1-bedroom suite (even though gold).
This time, no upgrade (even though platinum).

How are the rooms?
Don't remember the 1-bedroom suite well, other than that we were very happy with how clean and spacious it was.
The standard 2-queen (this time around) was also clean. Towels and toiletries are as you'd expect from HIE... mediocre. Biggest problem was that it was a connecting room. Noise from the next door kept me up till midnight. I specifically requested no connecting room, but they claimed they didn't have any room available in our booked category without a connecting room.

How is the exec. lounge?
n/a

Good: Room quality here is above avg for a HIE. Was also impressed by the breakfast... they had two different kinds of yogurt including different flavours of Chobani, which is impressive. They provided things like walnuts to put on top of your oatmeal and cereal, which you don't always get at all hotel breakfast buffets. The indoor pool here is a decent size and is in a bright solarium.
Bad: Front desk not very professional this time around. This woman in a t-shirt checked me in. The guy next to me was being checked in by a housekeeper (pretty sure, since that's how she was dressed). I inquired about upgrade and was told no, they're sold out (this was actually not true... I checked online availability afterwards). Then I wanted to make sure they were going to at least give me a room with no connecting door. She said that wasn't possible either. She never offered the 500 pts vs welcome snacks, and I had to remind her to give me 500 pts. I asked her if she could at least give me a bottle of water since she wasn't giving me an upgrade or non-connected room, but she actually made a fuss (saying I'm not supposed to get 500 pts and water) before changing her mind and grudgingly giving me one bottle of Costco water that probably costs 12c.

25k points for a room that was going for ~$250+tax. To me, that is excellent value. But I'm generally trying to wean off places like HIE, HI and even CP (except CP's in Asia), and I'll only return if I have to stay in this area again.

Last edited by FLYGVA; Aug 21, 2016 at 7:08 am Reason: forgot the hotel name!
Old Aug 21, 2016, 3:59 am

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
Hotel Indigo Katong, Singapore

Hotel Indigo Katong, Singapore

IHG Spire

Yes

Booked a deluxe room on a cheap rate when IHG was having promotion for rooms booked via IHG Apps. Was upgraded to Premier Room on a high floor at check-in.

How are the rooms?
Large and clean room. Nice view of the Katong area. Room contains of items from old Singapore such as Carrom Board which acts as a table too and wooden clogs.

How is the exec. lounge?

N/A

Good
- Very nice check in and warm greeting from staff. Offered me a nice ice latte drink
- For Spire member, was offered late checkout at 4pm but I did not need it.
- Ordered room service of local food fare, and service was prompt and attentive
- Nice rooftop pool for soaking into with views of Katong area and a functional gym

Bad
- Nothing

Value for S$ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?

Yes.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 4:06 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Just remember that the property is under no obligation to give a free upgrade on award stays, even if there's availability. I has similar experience with HIX Sequim on award stay and just kind of shrugged, and called it good despite the lack of upgrade, given how good of a deal it is on points during peak tourist season right now.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 3:55 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
HI Tampere, Finland

Holiday Inn Tampere, Finland

Spire

Yes, but not excited

Standard on pointbreaks, got Executive king on top floor corner

How are the rooms?
The exec room must not be bigger than some 2-3m2 compared to standard room. Pretty small for any other comparable chain. Hotel is renovated totally, but with cheap IKEA style furniture.

How is the exec. lounge?
There is none

Good:
-upgrade
-location right at train station
-new,fresh,clean
-silent corner room high floor
-offered complimentary breakfast instead of points/drink
Bad:
-nothing.
(but once the cheapish refurbish will wear, this property will become pretty dull again)

Great value for pointbreaks, but I would not return if the cash price is high (anything above 120€) but book competing hotels nearby which are better.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 1:16 am

Crowne Plaza Copenhagen

Crowne Plaza Copenhagen

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive? We booked a standard room with points and received a corner room on 24th floor. At check in we were given the choice of 600 points or Club Lounge access.

How are the rooms? Very clean and modern. Only one bathrobe and no slippers. Lots of bathroom amenities. Kettle with instant coffee but there were a couple of mini milk cartons which is so much better than creamer powder which I can't stand. Would have preferred a Nespresso type machine. Fully stocked mini bar. There was a rollaway bed already in the room (we were three guests) plus a bottle of mineral water each.

How is the exec. lounge? Great, one of the best I have been in, outside of Intercontinentals. Plentiful booze and nibbles in the evening. Extensive breakfast spread with hot dishes, cereals, fruit, bread table and cold cuts. Drinks available all day.

Good - airport shuttle, room allocation, club lounge
Bad - in room coffee

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return? 25,000 points was excellent value compared to the cash rate.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 5:46 am

HI New York City - Times Square

HI New York City - Times Square

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive? We booked two double beds with Manhattan view and received the same. I believe this hotel has only standard rooms so no upgrade available.

How are the rooms? On the small side but we're not in NYC to sit in the room! Basics are all there. Comfortable beds, wardrobe, drawers and desk/chair. Giant TV. Also a fridge and Keurig coffee machine, with mini UHT milk cartons which is a big plus. Bathroom has shower and no bath but good water pressure.

How is the exec. lounge? NA

Good - one block from subway, at check in received 500 points plus water/trail mix, fitness centre, great value on points booking
Bad - only two lifts for a very tall building. We requested a low floor.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return? I booked four nights on points at 20,000 per night which was excellent value. Rate was promotional offer for new hotel and is now 40,000 per night. At this level Staybridge Suites round the corner is better value as it includes breakfast and weekday evening receptions. Cash rate was $312 + tax.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 4:43 pm

Programs: OnePass / ASmileageplan / AAdvantage / Amtrak / ChoiceRewards / etc.
Candlewood Suites, Gillette Wyoming USA

Platinum Elite
No
Standard. No upgrade even though they had availability. (Hotels in the area are half empty)
How are the rooms?

Okay. Microwave is not mounted, eliminating half of the counter space.
How is the exec. lounge?
What lounge? There is a computer in a corner of the lobby with a printer. No fax/scanner/copier.
Good: Desk staff are friendly. Bad: In 2 days they ran out of coffee twice, gave us visibly stained towels and it seems that every other time I saw management, they had stuffed their mouths too full of food to speak.
Other hotels in the area are a better deal. Would not return.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.