Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2016)

Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2016)

Old Nov 8, 2016, 1:47 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Spire RA
Originally Posted by Raynyan
You are correct until this Sep. But for your future stay, not sure to receive the Suite. I mention about principle. Indeed, some of my friends of RA could not receive the Suite since this Sep. They officially got inform from Club staff if would like to have Suite, need to book Executive Deluxe Room.
seems they are applying strictly the new T&C for RA's in Asia^
Old Nov 8, 2016, 8:26 am

Programs: United PremPlat; M LT Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Spire A
ANA InterContinental Tokyo
How is the exec. lounge?
Yes, granted. As always superb. All of warm meals changed to serve by A La Carte menu (to order style). Bartender services in cocktail time. Absolutely one of the best Club Lounge in the world.
Hello, I'm planning a visit to Tokyo with my family mid-2017. I don't think that I will re qualify for RA for 2017 and we'd use award stays.
Do you happen to know or anyone else, what would be the buy up cost for lounge access?

--
Thank you,
Illes
Old Nov 8, 2016, 11:39 am

Programs: IHG Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by boekel
seems they are applying strictly the new T&C for RA's in Asia^
Yes, You are correct.

Originally Posted by illesus
Hello, I'm planning a visit to Tokyo with my family mid-2017. I don't think that I will re qualify for RA for 2017 and we'd use award stays.
Do you happen to know or anyone else, what would be the buy up cost for lounge access?
Currently they will charge JPY14000/night. Up to 2 persons. 3rd person or higher requires extra JPY5000/night per person.

http://anaintercontinental-tokyo.jp/...ub_lounge.html
Old Nov 8, 2016, 1:29 pm

IC Warsaw

What is your IHG Club status?
Spire Royal Ambassador

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
Yes, delighted!

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked two Deluxe (cat 2) phoned in to Club Manager asking for connecting room). Received Junior Exec Suite (which is actually a full 60m2 suite) and a connecting Deluxe Twin with Club access both rooms. So 3 adults and 3 children. On 37th floor.

How are the rooms?
Suite is 60m2 or so and Deluxe at least 30m2.

Living room with dining area, seating area 2 arm chairs 1 sofa.
Work desk and TV on top of cabinet. Massive Windows.

Bedroom with comfortable bed. Flat screen television with large selection of international channels.

Guest toilet next to entry, and large Bathroom with tub and Walk in Shower.

l'occitane toiletries.

Very quiet (triple glass), despite being bang in town

How is the exec. lounge?
Excellent breakfast selection, with made to order eggs, anything you want.
Good selection of evening hot meals, drinks and afternoon tea.
Each morning they made us waffles and pancakes without us even asking.

Great staff. Know them quite well so it helps.

Great views over Warsaw

2 PCs with printer
Quiet

What was good and what was bad?
Good
  • Wonderful staff , from reception, Club manager, club staff, pool staff and housekeeping.
  • Generous Club allowance.
  • Asked for RA 4 PM check-out, was given 6 PM! Fantastic.
  • Club lounge
  • Spa, pool and gym of high quality, on floors 43 and 44. Kids loved swimming there, and then go to the jacuzzi next to the pool
  • On check out, they removed all extras outside RA allowance. A few items had been taken from non RA room, and snacks are usually not included.
    We were treated like royalty from arrival to finish.

Bad
Nothing with the hotel. One of our best IC stays ever.
But, this hotel suffers from a uncouth weekend crowd. A lot of Nouveau Riche types which is a shame. Be aware of this.

Value for $ or IHG Rewards Club Points? Would you return?
Yes, definitely.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 7:16 am

Programs: United PremPlat; M LT Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Spire A
Currently they will charge JPY14000/night. Up to 2 persons. 3rd person or higher requires extra JPY5000/night per person.
Thank you for taking the time to look into it. ^
Old Nov 13, 2016, 5:55 am

IC Seoul COEX

Originally Posted by cazane
Intercontinental Seoul COEX

Yes, I have enjoyed my stay.

Booked cheapest room ( King Bed Standard) got upgraded to King Bed Elite River View room with club at the 18th floor. It's the first time at COEX I did receive only a one level upgrade, before I got mostly a two room corner suite with club access upgrade.
Royal Ambassador letter reads "Prepared to next Room category ..... Club access ", so this may be a general policy change.
Since I travelled alone, I was totally satisfied with the room. A higher upgrade won't make it much better.

How are the rooms?
Spacious bath room with bath tub and shower separated.
Room is spacious, but has only one armchair. Perfect room if you are travelling alone as I did.

How is the exec. lounge?
Breakfast has a wide selection including 4-6 warm dishes, and egg dishes you can order. Also, which is important for me, there were salad and vegetables available.
For Dinner they had four warm dishes, including always Korean pancakes, some salad and other side dishes. It's fine, but not high quality (as the restsaurant at the ground floor)! and not comparable to 4-5 years ago. Since I am usually out for dinner in Korea, I do not care much about this.
Staff at the lounge is really great!

Did you receive a welcome gift?
Fruits, three bottles of sparkling water, and chocolate.
(The sparkling water, because they know about my preference)
No mouse pads and/or note pads from national museum, no whine as at former stays.

How was the minibar?
Minibar was filled with a lot of Diet Coke (as I have requested about three years ago), around 5 beer, Softdrinks and some hard stuff in mini bottles.
I was happy they still remember I am not into sugar water.

-Good
  • They have filled the minibar with more Diet Coke than I can drink. (Have asked for that years ago)
  • Great staff at the club.
  • Turn-down service fills up instant coffee.
  • Lounge has prepared take-out coffee cups near the coffee machine, you do not need to ask for it.
-Bad
  • The tomato juice at the lounge is too sweet (as everywhere in Korea)
Value for $ or Priority Club Points?
Great value.
Would you return?
Yes I will.
Another stay at COEX. My review from one month ago applies to this stay, too.
Cheapest room, upgraded to King Bed Club Superior on 25th floor. Different naming, but the rooms were basically the same.
At check-in they told me they have prepared more sparkling water instead of wine because I do not like wine. I did not object to this interpretation, but at least I know now, why there is no wine as a welcome gift.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 7:13 am

InterContinental Bali Resort

InterContinental Bali Resort

What is your IHG Rewards Club status?
Spire Royal Ambassador

YES, Delighted!

Booked 3nights. First night booking was cheapest classic room due to late arrival. 2nd and 3rd nights were Bukit Suite. Initially system indicated 1st night is Club Room and 2nd/3rd nights are Bukit Suite. 3days before arrival, system indication updated to Bukit Suite for entire of stay. Actually received Bukit Suite (with some discount for 2nd and 3rd nights). Moreover, I negotiated up-sell for Jivana Villa, highest category room of this hotel on 3rd night. I successfully received Jivana Villa with up-sell.

How are the rooms?
Bukit Suite:
152sqm huge suite. 2x 37inches LCD TV, SONY DVD player and surround audio system, spacious kitchenette, illy iprespresso coffee machine, deep and wide bathtub with jacuzzi, and HARNN toiletries.

Video of Bukit Suite (Night)

Video of Bukit Suite (Day)

Jivana Villa:
378sqm two-storey house. 2x master bedroom, private pool, 4x 37inches SONY LCD TV, 2x Spa style bathroom, and spacious kitchenette with exclusive butler for 24hrs. All of restaurants menu can be deliver in the dining room of villa.

Video of Jivana Villa

How is the exec. lounge?
Beautiful and marvelous! It looks like a grand maison style French restaurant. Every staff are very polite and friendly. Plenty of breakfast A La Carte menu selection. On the other hands, cocktail time meal selection is very limited.

What was your welcome gift?
Folding Fan, Bottles of Red and Sparkling Wine, Box of Chocolate, Box of Cashew Nuts, and Aromatic Oil kit.

Did you receive fruit in the room?
Yes, replenished daily.

What was good?
Upgrade and up-sell
Friendly staff
Pick-up/Drop-off services between airport and hotel
Very stable WiFi even in the garden/beach area (amazing!)

What was bad?
Soundproofing of window in Bukit Suite

Value for $ or Rewards Club Points?
Yes

Would you return?
Absolutely.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 7:59 am

IC Toronto Centre

IC Toronto Centre

Spire Royal Ambassador

Yes

Booked cheapest room and got Bi-Level Suite on 3rd floor, but no club first. Asked for club. Answer was that they upgrade either to club or to suite. Reasonable upsell offer for club which I accepted.
Room was not ready around 2 pm, first they just wanted me to wait. After my response they finally they gave us a regular club room and later we changed to he suite.

How are the rooms?
Very nice spacious, significantly bigger than two regular rooms. Downstairs dining table, workplace, sofa corner, toilet. Spiral staircase, upstairs bed and bathroom (with an separate outside door) Room looked fresh. Not enough lights at night, room is too dark. Big windows, but view only to the roof of the main entrance.

How is the Club Lounge?
Friendly staff, somewhat limited offerings. No high tea, very limited happy hour, mediocre breakfast. The charge for alcohol even during happy hour (claim that the law prevents them from free alcohol)

Some chocolate, some maple tea leafs.

How was the mini-bar?
Ok, but only refilled once during three days (did not ask for refill)

Yes, small plate on first night

GOOD
- Room
- Upgrade
- Staff was very nice and welcoming

BAD
- room not ready and no alternate room offered at first
- no upgrade to suite plus club
- offerings in club lounge very limited

Value for $ or Club Points?
ok, but not great

Would you return?
Possibly
Old Nov 21, 2016, 9:58 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
IC Beijing Sanlitun

Hotel is nice but I am not happy. I know if you booked an award night they don't have to provide any benefits but I received NONE! ZERO, ZILCH. First time this has been the case and I have burnt through 400k points staying at IC's since becoming RA earlier this year. To be honest, it really put a downer on my stay and left a sour taste. Maybe this is a DYKWIA situation but meh.

Booked a reward night, received NO RA benefits

How are the rooms?
Nice and modern,

How is the exec. lounge?
No access

Nope...

How was the minibar?
Meh, nothing special, I didn't get free drinks anyway...

-Good
- Desgn

-Bad
- No RA Benefits for point stays
- Staff were a bit stand off-ish

50k points is a lot. I think it is too expensive for what it is.

Would you return?
Probably not, no.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 12:57 pm

Programs: IC/AMB - Diamond Elite, AC E50K, AA, AM-Onyx, HH-Diamond, BW, Choice - Gold
As per the new Ambassador T&Cs dated September 1, 2016, you should have received the welcome gift, bottled water and fruit amenities.

"When staying on Reward Nights, all Ambassador and Royal Ambassador Privileges apply with the exception of upgrades, free Pay-TV film per stay, 24-hour guaranteed room availability, 8:00 am early check-in and complimentary mini-bar beverages (where a cost for these benefits is applicable). A Rewards Night booking must be booked under the IHG Rewards Club account of the member for him/her to enjoy the benefits."

mxm135
Old Nov 21, 2016, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Tokyo ANA

Yes.

Booked classic, given corner suite with Club. I made the booking prior to September when the reported upgrade changes happened.

How are the rooms?
Showing age a bit, but still good. The extra space in the suite was very welcome.

How is the exec. lounge?
Great service, nice Champagne and saki, etc. And hot western items can be brought to your table as desired.

How was the minibar?
Decent enough, but not spectacular.

Good
Great upgrade
Very nice club

Value for or Priority Club Points?
Yes, very good value for this market.

Would you return?
Yes
Old Nov 26, 2016, 9:49 pm

InterContinental Shanghai NECC

InterContinental Shanghai NECC

Spire Royal Ambassador

Mostly Yes

Booked 2 rooms, Deluxe Suite with Opening Special Rate (for me) and Superior Room with Reward Night (for my friend). Initially received Club InterContinental Premier Room for Reward Night, and for Deluxe Suite was no upgrade. I negotiated with management then received Ambassador Suite. But management told me both Ambassador Suite and Presidential Suite are exception of RA upgrade, RA need to book Club Premier Room to receive highest upgrade. I received one time special, however this suite's hot water supply was not stable due to new open facility, I went back to the Deluxe Suite.

How are the rooms?
Club InterContinental Premier Room:
45sqm. But I felt it's smaller than 45sqm. Room itself was well appointed. Nespresso, 48 inches LCD TV, SPA style bathtub, toilet equipped the Washlet (but not TOTO's one). Toiletries are Agraria.

Video of Club InterContinental Premier Room

Deluxe Suite:
95sqm. But I felt around 80sqm. Room itself was quite decent suite. Nespresso, one 48 inches TV and one 55 inches TV, Bose audio system, twin basins, separated shower booth, SPA style bathtub, toilet equipped the Washlet (but not TOTO's one), and walk-in closet. Toiletries are Salvatore Ferragamo.

Video of Deluxe Suite

Ambassador Suite:
140sqm corner suite. Nespresso, 3x 55 inches LCD TVs with BOSE audio system, spacious living room and dining room with kitchenette, wine cellar (but not complimentary even for RA), twin basins, separated shower booth, round bathtub, toilet equipped the Washlet (but not TOTO's one), and walk-in closet. Toiletries are Salvatore Ferragamo.

Video of Ambassador Suite

How was mini-bar?
No hard liquor. One half bottle of Chile Red Wine, Japanese Beer(Asahi Super Dry), Chinese Beer(Tsingtao), Red bull, Coke, Coke Zero, Sprite, Pocari Sweat, Fiji mineral water, San Benedetto sparking water, and some snacks. Within the standard of Chinese InterContinental.

How is the exec. lounge?
Facilities are nothing special, but most decent F&B presentation in Shanghai's Club InterContinental Lounge. Staff English skill is a little bit poor, but much better than EXPO.

My feelings...
Facilities and atmosphere: Ruijin>Puxi>EXPO>NECC>Pudong
F&B: NECC>Puxi>Pudong≧Ruijin>EXPO
English skill: Ruijin>NECC≧Pudong>Puxi>EXPO

Paper knife, Bottle of French Red Wine, Cookies, and Sweet Dumpings

Yes

What was good?
Room design
Friendly (but a little bit shy) staff
Club Lounge F&B presentation

What was bad?
View (Coz this district is still developing area)
Facilities maintenance is still not matured like Ambassador Suite's hot water supply
No hard liquor in mini-bar
Poor TV programs (Almost Chinese local programs. No BBC, NHK, TF1, DW, Aljazeera)

Value for $ or Rewards Club Points?
Yes, especially Opening Special rate for Suite and 25000 pts Reward Night for Club Premier Room.

Would you return?
Yes, but for business trip only. Access is good for Hongqiao Airport, but not located in commercial and sightseeing district. Probably my primary choice will be Ruijin.

Last edited by Raynyan; Nov 27, 2016 at 4:45 am
Old Nov 27, 2016, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Los Angeles

Yes.

Booked Superior, given Premier Suite

How are the rooms?
Nice and new from a year or so ago. The balcony is great with the sunny warm weather.

How is the exec. lounge?
No lounge here.

How was the minibar?
A few changes from the past. 4 pints of Boddingtons's! Prosecco instead of Champagne and Hornitos instead of Patron.

Good
Nice upgrade and service from the VIP desk.
The renovated locker room has a nice new steam room

Yes, as an RA. Probably not without that status.

Would you return?
Yes
Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:02 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
IC Park Lane (Wellington Suite upgrade)

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay? Extremely, exceptional , probably never to be repeated 4th best Wellington Suite upgrade

Booked = Bogo London Exec (Fri 540, Sat 610 .... rebooked from 590/610 .... later 2weeks out check showed as 540/740)
Modded = Not modded before arrival at ICPL 3pm Friday
Received = Wellington Suite (room=520, ICPL's 4th best room)

Temp Room = 521 opposite Suite (held in case I arrived much earlier)
o Had to use 1500-1930 as to Reception Managers annoyance, existing guest decided to just stay with DNB , without informing/asking about late checkout.
o Existing guest contacted still in Suite, guest decided would leave room at 1630, and as a large/top suite ICPL needs 2hours to clean
o Interestingly said guest was currently at 40nights in wellington suite, and had extended several times on day of departure previously.
o Guest actually tried to extend but Manager had to politely refuse as all suites sold that weekend. I even heard manager tell that paying guest an Roya ambassador needed that room.
o Said guest rebooked themselves into 4Seasons opposite... Evem at 1830 I saw racks of clothes being removed from 520 by hotel staff to be moved to FourSeasons

How are the rooms?
o 109m Suite, width wise equivalent to 4x rooms, with front/l/h corner 3mx5m "missing" as where on enclosed set of lift/stairs for staff use located)

o 4m Entry Way (as Suite wrappes around staff stairs/lift in that corner)
o 4m walk to right to Toilet/WC with double wardrobe storage
o Main Suite straight ahead
a)bedroom to right (Storage/wardrobe cupboards + large safe), with ensuite bathroom (Toilet, Bidet, His n Hers Sinks, Large rectanguar walkin shower, bath). Storage/wardrobe cupboards + large safe
b)minibar on left (standard size)
o Main living room straight ahead (sofa, table, 2-armchairs, 60" TV)
o Extended Living Room to left (work desk, another sofa)
o Doors to Dining Room (large rectangular 8 seater table, side board) door to Kitchen
o Kitchen (electric oven/hot plates, microwave, fridge (no freezer/icebox comparment) , kettle, box of twinings teabags, kettle. (but no utensils, ie no cutlery/china/pots+pans)

How is the exec. lounge?
o Very much the same as always, though very busy as ICPL 100% on Suites

o Water, Small Fruitplate (orange, apple banana), Usual Biscuit Cookie Box gift
o Very much delayed arrived 9pm .. apparently that ICPL Amenity Dept closes 4pm hence delay and small offering

How was the minibar?
o Standard minibar (size + contents)
o Usual 1 Moet piccolo and 1x screwtop white wine
o As usual ICPL replace 2beers with Heineken for me (except not Budweiser but Lonon Pale Ale which I also like). Also bought 2x extra Moet Piccolo's
o Despite 2x managers inspecting suite post cleaning, no minibar area unchecked as a)no drinking glasses b)missing contents (no chocs, no condom container, missing water/soda (all spirits in place)
o Just drank Moet/Pale Ale/Heineken/Sodas/Water, second day received 2x more Moet with other replacements

-Good
+ Exceptional Room Upgrade
+ Temp Room 521 directly opposite 520 Wellington Suite
+ Concierge team had my UPS Scuba Order Parcel (as delivered 9days earlier to ICPL). AND no hotel fee for said service ^... I gratefully tipped concierges 10 for their efforts on my behalf
+ Excellent Lounge receptionists) and lounge waiting/serving staff (as always). Lounge Angel the usual lady from Germany
+ Lounge angel offered me to come back later after 1930 and to still get champagne as was aware I lost out on evening moet due to room wait/moving issues
+ Two local UK newspapers automatically each day (as per stored profile)
+ Minibar mod from profile ... extra Heineken v Budweise + extra 2x Moet Piccolos

Neutral
o Wait for my room post 3pm .... Not totally Hotel Receptions fault, room was meant to be clear/available from 12 noon at latest... Except you'd think hotel would know these things in advance
o Same lounge upsell 78 rate as a solo guest v couples
o Would really love ICPL to get a new self-serve coffee machine that gives cappucino's. As it it stands have to ask lounge staff and wait (variable wait times, annoying in busy lounge) for what is a really nice cappucino... needs lounge coffee machine like at Marriott Manila !

-Bad
- Lack of comms from hotel when room not ready at expected 1830.. 1905 I thus gave up and rushed to lounge as evening drinks/food is 1730-1930

o Great Value I booked Bogo London Exec at 590/610 and later rebooked at 540/610
o If I had booked Bogo Superior/Deluxe and upselled Lounge 2x Nights (78/night) would have cost 570, 30more and a lower starting Room for my RA upgrade ... AND although I would never have known I missed out, I obviously would not have then received exceptional Wellington Suite upgrade
o 4pm checkout without quibble even on a suite, no keycard issues, no "sneaky" phoneups/door knocks between 1200-1600 on a late checkout day
(Normally I'd go to wait in lounge after 2.30p but not this visit as only got room at 1930)

Would you return?[/QUOTE]
o In a heart beat. My bit of London Luxury (room rates permitting)
o Usual book 2nd/3rd Cat room (Superior or Deluxe) for frequent upgrade to either London Exec with Sofa, or Studio Suite (though full Suite not unknown) here or THEN I add upsell at $7/night for lounge
o Not unknown for me to get a full suite (deluxe suite even) from award night here though as a returning guest.
o Love the lounge kippers brekkie, despite paying same as couple do on my solo person stays

Last edited by scubaccr; Nov 28, 2016 at 12:16 am
Old Nov 29, 2016, 9:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
IC San Francisco

Yes, it was a pleasant stay.

Booked standard room on AAA rate and was at first upgraded to a Junior Suite and then upgraded to 1 Bedroom Suite.

How are the rooms?
The room was spacious. There was a dining area, TV area and separated bedroom. Besides the size and panoramic city views, the room wasn't overly impressive. It lacks modernity and jazz and certainly doesn't match the sophistication of the lobby. The decor is quite bland.

How is the exec. lounge?
A bit stuffy. There aren't too many tables and can get a bit crowded during the breakfast rush or at night for cocktails. But it's pleasant and the food offerings are superb. The lounge attendants are great and make sure you have everything you need.

Some chocolates at check-in.

How was the minibar?
Great mini-bar. Half bottle of Roederer Estate champagne, half bottle each of red and white wine, some local beers including Lagunitas IPA, and about 20 or so high quality nips. The only disappointment was that they used Kendall-Jackson for the wine. You would think with all the great wineries nearby they could choose something better/more creative.

-Good
Upgrade, location, mini-bar, lounge food & drinks.
-Bad
Room decor and high parking rates ($59 + tax)

Yes, but not a steal by any means.

Would you return?
Yes, but I may check out IC Mark Hopkins first.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.