Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2016, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
London Park Lane

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
So-so

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked classic, after asking reservations about the RA upgrade policy. It seems that if you book, classic, or London Classic, or Deluxe, etc., your only upgrade is to Executive. It's been a few years since I was last here so I have no juice here. Or maybe it's the new owners? I was able to check in right at 8am and got an Exec with double beds. They said that was all they had and seemed awfully relieved that I accepted it.

How are the rooms?
Very small. It didn't seem like an Exec to me.

How is the exec. lounge?
Don't know. Not mentioned at all at check in but I wasn't going to pay for it anyways.

How was the mini-bar?
Not as good as it used to be. Just the one bottle of Taittinger split. Not the same quality of alcohol as there used to be. Or maybe the mini-bars in the suites are better?

What was good and what was bad?
Good
Guest relations came out at check in to apologize for my noisy neighbors who woke me up at 3:30am. With my jet lag I never got back to sleep.

Bad
Upgrade
Mini-bar
Noisy neighbors

Value for £ or IHG Rewards Club Points? Would you return?
Will try again next month. Guest relations manager said he would make it a better stay next time
Old Apr 14, 2016, 7:56 am

Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
Originally Posted by stimpy
So-so

Booked classic, after asking reservations about the RA upgrade policy. It seems that if you book, classic, or London Classic, or Deluxe, etc., your only upgrade is to Executive. It's been a few years since I was last here so I have no juice here. Or maybe it's the new owners? I was able to check in right at 8am and got an Exec with double beds. They said that was all they had and seemed awfully relieved that I accepted it.
Been like that for the last few years as far as I remember, there is a lot of new staff here and apparently there aren't too good with the upgrades etc. It is a shame they had some great people who have left the hotel. However this is quite recent.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 6:32 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany
Original Poster

I have moved the discussion about the lounge at the IC Palazzo to the master thread of this hotel:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...er-thread.html

FLYGVA
co-moderator IHG Forum
Old Apr 27, 2016, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
InterContinental Istanbul

What is your IHG Rewards Club Status?
Spire Royal Ambassador.

Yes, very much so

Booked the cheapest advance rate and received a Junior Suite city view the first night (all the suites with Bosphorus view were occupied the first day) and was proposed to be moved to a Business Suite Sea View with club access the second night.

How are the rooms?
Around 80sqm

Classic (and rather kitsch) design, but perfectly maintained and very comfortable
Seating area with sofa, dining table
Nespresso machine, kettle, desk.
View over the Bosphorus and sea
Very comfortable bed
Separate toilets

Elegant marble bathrooms with bathtub and separate walk-in shower. Large bottles Agraria amenities.

2 Large flat screen television with good selection of channels
Very quiet
Fast wifi
iPhone dock

How is the exec. lounge?
Renovated design
Excellent staff
View over the Bosphorus
Very good breakfast served in a quiet atmosphere (pastries are a bit disappointing though)
Very good selection of evening canapés. Hot meals. Drinks. Afternoon pastries.

Good:
- Excellent quality of service: very professional and attentive staff.
- Location, where most of action is
- Pleasant club lounge and suite
- Very good spa with outdoor pool and sauna
- Great view from the panorama bar

Bad:
- Nothing indeed

Value for $ or IHG Rewards Club Points?Would you return?
The hotel is very pleasant for location, staff, club lounge and spa.
Renovation of the room would be more than welcome.

Pictures of the city

Pictures of the hotel

Old Apr 27, 2016, 4:20 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
IC HK

IC HK

Was ok, just needed bed and shower access for bed+breakfast HKIA transit stay

o Booked = entry level room via ipad at reception at 23:30
o Received = 401 Superior Junior suite (after pushing for x01 as ALL unoccupied J/S rooms were already blocked for next days checkin, and I was being offered poorer rooms). I'd even already informed checkin clerk I had to leave 06.30 for 09:15 Flight so any room I received would definitely be freed up for early checkins if needed

How are the rooms?
First time I have not booked Harbour View Cat rooms upwards for minimum of a Deluxe J/S upgrade. Decided Dlx JS Was not worth the extra $$'s to me if only staying 0000-0630 in hotel this visit

Only downside of Superior J/S v Dlx J/S (other than views).. I had not realised the Superior JS Shower cubicle is not also a steam room like in the Dlx J/S + Exec Suite bathrooms. Really dissapointed as steam room so nice to relax and rejuvenate after/before long flights, really missed it.

How is the exec. lounge?
Due to checkin 0000 and taxi to HKIA 0700, just grabbed 0630-0700 breakfast.
Nice small steak from menu, with tomatoes from buffet table.
No hashbrowns, instead minature "bubble+squeaks". Asked staff member who bought my steak if this was a permanent switch and I was pleasantly suprised 7minutes later to get 4x Hash Browns bought out for me
Just shows the lounge staff do go the extra mile, maybe I was lucky as very few guests in lounge at 0640am

Did you receive a welcome gift?
No fruit, gift, water, no doubt as 2330 booking+checkin for my transit stay

How was the minibar?
one of the better stocked minibars, loads of contents, sodas/beers/water/juices/vodka/gin, plus drawer with whiskies and wine.

-Good
o IC-HK returned my items left in room on 11th Feb in just 15minutes. They held at my request rather than post to home (Europe) which they offered to do at hotels own cost back in February.
o My 2x wakeup calls 0545 and 0600 both prompt
o Club Lounge Desk and service staff are very helpful and good.

-Neutral
o Lounge access not coded to room card . Lounge staff recognised me as returning RA and letin, so no real issue, was not even asked for a room number.

-Bad
o No Ambassador desk staff at 2330 so dealing with std reception staff who are not quite as helpful (or possibly knowlegable)
o No drinks voucher, so got charged for all 3x loungebar beers (hk$100/beer instead of just two beers).
.... Got my own back I took that small frustration out on my rooms minibar beer/vodka contents

Value for $ or Priority Club Points?
o This night ...or $1800++ on 0000-0630/0700 stay not really. HI Golden Mile was $880++ but I was already at IC-HK as I had to retrieve my suit-trowsers/belt left behind over Chinese NY stay.
o For both IC's I value points higher than paid rate (even for pricier IC-HK HV room) so always book paid rates. If as I think IC-HK is now 60k/night then paid option looks even better !

Would you return?[/QUOTE]
o Definitely when I get more use of room+lounge for the higher rates that IC-HK reservations cost
o For such a very short stopover, I would have used Marriott at Airport (despite zero status) if I had not needed to pickup my left item(s) at IC-HK
o For longer Kowloon 1nighter, probably IC-GS (1400++) or HI-GM ($900) rates/availability permitting beckon instead. I have not yet stayed HI-GM although Ido frequent their bar, HI-GS I have stayed a few times before for 1nighters
Old May 3, 2016, 1:57 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, WR, AA Gold, Friend of Dorothy
IC Buenos Aires

Not really: 2 out of 5 rating experience

Booked 4 nights at the cheapest rate 1 day prior. I was updated to a junior suite in room 1216. There are 19 floors at the hotel. The club lounge is on the 17th floor. The club room is about the size of 3 hotel rooms. I never saw more than 4 others in lounge. The staff were very hands off.

How are the rooms?
I liked the room a lot. The bed was comfy with great (standard for IC) sheets. Three different vases of flowers. I liked the view okay and love the bathrooms.

Negatives were that the couch was uncomfortable, the TV was small and was difficult to view from any position (couch, desk and bed). The water pressure in the shower cannot be controlled and it runs very high.

How is the exec. lounge?
Each night there was 1 hot dish which ranged to great to amazing! I really liked the local flavors of the dishes. The other food items were good to Amazing. I really liked the seasoning of the cold tuna; but, I didn't care for many of the other cold items.

I never had breakfast in the lounge.

The coffee both in the lounge and breakfast restaurant downstairs sucked majorly. Like, this is the worst ever coffee at a hotel.

No. I was told I would get one but it never arrived. Water and fruit were also promised at checking, but they too never arrived.

How was the minibar?
Bad. There was one half bottle of champagne. I found the same delicious brand for around $5 in the market 6 blocks away. There were also 2 cans of German style beer, 1 50ml gin, and 1 50 ml bourbon. There was also a few sodas and juices.

-Good
The room upgrade was nice.

The lounge update is always welcome.

Bed was comfortable and wifi was fast.

I liked the piano playing in the lobby in the evenings.

-Bad
My credit card was stolen from the room by an employee and lots of charges were made on it. The credit card issuer caught all of the charges and canceled the card. I reported the theft to the front desk who was offended by my accusation and said their employees have worked there a long time -- .... A manager called my room and didn't seem to believe me or take it seriously. She never assured me that my belongings were safe for the remaining of the stay, she never assured me that the staff would treat me well and not retaliate, she never offered compensation, she never came to discuss this with me face-to-face. She never acknowledged the inconvenience of replacing the card.

The swimming pool was closed for renovations. I don't recall this being stated on their website.

Awful coffee throughout the hotel.

When I asked the door staff for a taxi, one employee disappeared for 2 minutes or so. He came back with man who walked me to a car parked in front. I started to get in the car and realized it wasn't a taxi. I asked for the rate and he said $200,000. I said no thanks and walked away to find my own taxi which was $120,000 to the destination. I don't mind hiring a private car, but when I ask for a taxi, I want a taxi, not a swap to your friend's car.

Mini bar was filled just once in 4 nights.

No gift, water, or fruit given (although it was promised).

Breakfast is lacking in options. No yogurt, no Asian food options, no granola, nothing creative at all. Eggs, bacon, sausage -- that's it and, not even hash browns.

No currency exchange in the hotel (perhaps federal laws don't permit hotels to exchange money?). ATM is 2 bocks away and charges $6.

There were many very loud protests passing in front of the hotel during my stay. Due to jet lag I slept till 2 pm. I was woken 5-7 times due to different protest groups passing the hotel. They has lots of noise making fireworks and drums. Each time they passed it the noise would last for 5 to 15 minutes.

Very difficult to get a taxi. Sometimes the hotel was on a vehicle lockdown -- meaning vehicles were not allowed into and out of the lobby drop of area -- presumably due to the protesting.

I think my average nightly rate with tax was $225. Having not stayed at other hotels in B. A., it's difficult for me to say the value of this one. One a global IC perspective, I would say it's below average.

Would you return?
I will actively avoid this hotel. If the staff seemed to care in the least bit that my credit card was stolen by housekeeping, I wouldn't avoid this hotel. However, their complete lack of regard for the theft has pushed me over the I-want-to-like-this-hotel hill.
[/QUOTE]

Last edited by JimmyJoe; May 3, 2016 at 9:18 pm
Old May 5, 2016, 7:29 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany
Original Poster

I have moved the discussion about the IC Buenos Aires along with a copy of the post above to the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...-merged-3.html

FLYGVA
co-moderator IHG Forum
Old May 6, 2016, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
IC Atlanta Buckhead

Ehh...not really.

Booked 1 King Deluxe (base room) and was first upgraded to a Club King. My welcome letter at the front desk said "Enjoy your upgrade to one of our Executive Suites as a Royal Ambassador". I questioned this and was upgraded to the Executive Suite after some grumbling by the front desk staff. Club access was included.

How are the rooms?
The suite was decent. When you walk in the room the living room is to the left down the hallway and the bedroom is to the right. It wasn't huge but it was comfortable and I enjoyed having living space separate from the bedroom. Nice hardwood floors.

How is the exec. lounge?
The food offerings weren't great but there was a good selection of beer, wine, and liquor. Plenty of different bottled beer options which I appreciated. I wouldn't count on the food to really hold you over for very long though. This lounge is typical for the brand...similar lounges that come to mind are IC Vienna and IC Prague. Not quite up to IC Boston standards and definitely nowhere close to IC Asiana Saigon.

Nope. Sent an email to hotel complaining about this...along with other things. I suggested that points could be a potential make-up gift and this idea was accepted by the hotel.

How was the minibar?
OK minibar. Premium liquor selections but cheap wine and champagne. Beer was stale and outdated by 6 months or so.

-Good
Club access. Rooms and common areas are nicely maintained. Plenty of dining options nearby.

-Bad
Parking is expensive...$28 for self parking and significantly more for valet. Inconsistent benefits. No in room movies.

It was a good value at $140/night.

Would you return?
If I'm back in the area and it's relatively cheap. The hotel manager said they will work on providing ALL of the AMB/RA benefits consistently going forward. I encouraged them to read the membership T&Cs to be aware of exactly what members will be expecting.
Old May 7, 2016, 10:38 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66

Would you return?
If I'm back in the area and it's relatively cheap. The hotel manager said they will work on providing ALL of the AMB/RA benefits consistently going forward. I encouraged them to read the membership T&Cs to be aware of exactly what members will be expecting.
Be careful what you ask for.

Having reread Royal Ambassador terms, this IC manager would be perfectly entitled to edit their welcome letter to say "Upgrade to Clubroom" (and no longer say upgrade to Suite)

Last edited by FLYGVA; May 8, 2016 at 4:32 am Reason: repaired quote
Old May 7, 2016, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Originally Posted by scubaccr
Be careful what you ask for.

Having reread Royal Ambassador terms, this IC manager would be perfectly entitled to edit their welcome letter to say "Upgrade to Clubroom" (and no longer say upgrade to Suite)
Which would have been perfectly within their rights to do. The only reason I pushed for the Exec Suite was the fact that it mentioned it in my welcome letter. Otherwise I would have been perfectly fine with the club upgrade knowing it fell within the RA benefits.

I sent an email to the hotel addressing certain RA issues:
-outdated items in minibar
-being charged for minibar beverages
-no welcome gift
-welcome letter confusion
-the front desk repeatedly calling my room, disregarding my 4PM checkout

I received a nice email from the front office manager who sincerely apologized. He said he just transferred there from IC Austin and was working on certain issues at the hotel and that it's a work in progress.
Old May 8, 2016, 5:18 am

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Welcome gift is not something they are obliged to provide. Not anymore.
Old May 8, 2016, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
InterContinental Budapest

What is your IHG Rewards Club Status?
Spire Royal Ambassador.

Yes, as usual

Booked the cheapest advance rate and received an Executive Suite river view with club access (but was said that next time I will need to chose between suite OR club access ).

How are the rooms?
Around 50sqm

Classic and elegant design (recently softly renovated)
Seating area with sofa, elegant desk
Nespresso machine, kettle, desk. No iPhone dock
View over the Danube
Very comfortable bed

Bathrooms with bathtub and separate walk-in shower. Agraria (large bottles) amenities.

Large flat screen television with good selection of channels
Very quiet
Fast wifi

How is the exec. lounge?
Very nice design

Great staff
View over the River
Very good selection of evening canapés. Hot meals. Drinks. Afternoon pastries.
One of European best club lounges

Good:
- Excellent quality of service: very professional and attentive staff.
- Central location
- Pleasant club lounge and suite
- Very good spa with indoor pool and sauna
- Excellent shoe shine service (actually teh best I ever had at an InterContinental hotel) ^

Bad:
- Nothing indeed

Value for $ or IHG Rewards Club Points?Would you return?
Yes, for location, quality of service and club lounge.
I was very impressed by the quality of service.

Pictures of the city

Pictures of the hotel

Last edited by nicolas75; May 8, 2016 at 9:06 am
Old May 8, 2016, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66
Ehh...not really.

$140/night.
USD 140 for an executive suite with club access, which is much more than "decent", seems an excellent value.

Last edited by nicolas75; May 8, 2016 at 10:06 am
Old May 8, 2016, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

InterContinental Madrid

- What is your IHG Rewards Club status?
Spire Royal Ambassador

- Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
Yes, as always

- Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked cheapest advance rate and was upgraded to a Club Junior suite with balcony (I specifically asked for a room with balcony and sun, which means the room at the end of the corridor, avenue side).

- How are the rooms?
Around 28 sqm
Classic and elegant design.
Seating area with desk
Flat screen television set, with large selection of international channels
Bedroom with very comfortable bed
Marble bathroom with separate walk in shower. Agraria amenities
Very quiet.
Large terrace balcony (which zas useless for this stay ...as the weather in Madrid was simply awful).
View over the city
Fast wifi
No iPhone dock
No plugs close to the bed, but new usb plug close to the desk

- How is the exec. lounge?
  • Warm classic design
  • Very friendly staff
  • Very good breakfast with hot and cold option
  • 2 free PC with Internet and printer
  • Nice selection of sweet and salted canapés during the day

- What was good and what was bad?

GOOD
  • The staff is really nice at IC Madrid
  • Luxurious atmosphere in public places
  • Nice courtyard garden
  • Location is very convenient from airport (metro station 80 meters from the hotel) and shopping: the Salamenca district is one of the most elegant for luxury boutiques and concept stores (Isolée, Gallery Madrid, ...) and "secret" museums (Fundación Juan March, Residencia des estudiantes, Museo Cerralbo, etc.)
  • Pretty nice fitness centre

BAD
Nothing

- Value for $ or IHG Rewards Club Points? Would you return?
Yes

Pictures of the city

Pictures of the hotel

Old May 9, 2016, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by nicolas75
USD 140 for an executive suite with club access, which is much more than "decent", seems an excellent value.
Never said it wasn't a good value...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.