Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2016)

Old Mar 14, 16, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Los Angeles

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
Mostly yes.

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked standard, received Exec suite. I booked a rate that included parking for only an extra $5 per day.

How are the rooms?
All renovated it seems now. The last time I was there I also got a renovated suite, but it was much larger and I think classified as Premier. This one was kind of small and had a small desk with only one available outlet plus a USB charger.

How is the mini-bar?
Not quite as good as before, but still a decent selection.

How is the exec. lounge?
N/A

What was good and what was bad?

GOOD
- Renovated rooms
- Good valet service

BAD
- Despite the fact that the website says (buried deep on the site) that the mens locker rooms are being renovated from Feb 22-March 3rd, it is still closed here in the middle of March. They gave no warning to guests until you arrived and found a sheet of paper on the desk. I really like the steam and sauna at this hotel so was pretty disappointed and let the duty manager know. All he could do was give me a breakfast coupon.

Value for $ or IHG Rewards Club Points? Would you return?
Next time I will call the hotel to see what is broken before I book.
Old Mar 16, 16, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IC RA, Kimpton Inner Circle, Amex Plat
IC Davos

No

Booked club room and upgraded to a alpine suite.

How are the rooms?

New property with gorgeous design but wearing very slightly, good clever use of space, huge balcony, great bathroom, awful temperature control

How is the mini-bar?

I think the mini-bar is free to all, it is certainly unimpressive even as soft drinks as there are no sugar free drinks at all. A few bottles of carlsberg too

How is the exec. lounge?

The space is gorgeously designed (like the rest of the property) but the lounge offering itself is poor with a few canapes and soup and a poor choice of drinks. I wouldn't pay for a club room for what was on offer and helpfully for many perhaps there is apparently no enforcement of lounge access anyway

GOOD
- Internally and externally stunning property
- A few truly great staff
- Club 'lounge' in town to wait for shuttle
- Good rooms
- Excellent La Prairie toiletries

BAD
- Ludicrously hot temperatures throughout the property and guest rooms
- Ski lift shuttle heavily congested at peak times giving long waits
- Awful service across all food and drink outlets
- Poor maid service/turndown
- No real 'hot tub' but nice spa area, there are jets in a clever indoor/outdoor pool arrangement but the pool isn't hot enough
- Remoteness from town given service issues with food and beverage service on site
- Lack of proper folio to take away
- Poor lounge offering
- Poor mini bar even just soft drinks

Value for $ or IHG Rewards Club Points? Would you return?

If the service had been up to scratch I would have thought it good value and well worth the 2K CHF plus BOGO I spent. The service was almost uniformly awful though and thus it was not good value and I am highly unlikely to return whilst this hotel is under it's current management.
Old Mar 16, 16, 10:35 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat, BA Bronce, GPP Gold, PC RA Plat
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles View Post

No

GOOD
- Internally and externally stunning property
- A few truly great staff
- Club 'lounge' in town to wait for shuttle
- Good rooms
- Excellent La Prairie toiletries

BAD
- Ludicrously hot temperatures throughout the property and guest rooms
- Ski lift shuttle heavily congested at peak times giving long waits
- Awful service across all food and drink outlets
- Poor maid service/turndown
- No real 'hot tub' but nice spa area, there are jets in a clever indoor/outdoor pool arrangement but the pool isn't hot enough.
Just saw your comment in the property master thread

Can you expand a bit on the service issues you've faced? I think the problem is that during winter season they operate with a lot of seasonal staff, while their main crew is just about 60-65 staff. While I usually receive more than excellent service there, I found also some ridiculous staff member over NYE. Addressed that to the GM, who usually takes great care about such issues

Last edited by boekel; Mar 16, 16 at 10:43 pm
Old Mar 17, 16, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IC RA, Kimpton Inner Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by boekel View Post
Just saw your comment in the property master thread

Can you expand a bit on the service issues you've faced? I think the problem is that during winter season they operate with a lot of seasonal staff, while their main crew is just about 60-65 staff. While I usually receive more than excellent service there, I found also some ridiculous staff member over NYE. Addressed that to the GM, who usually takes great care about such issues
I thought I covered it well in the property thread, there was a lack of attention pretty much everywhere apart from the front desk. Service was painfully slow to non existent, 33% hit rate for turn down service, ludicrous waits for service and drinks, almost unattended lounge with plates and glasses left at our table from previous occupants for over 90 minutes. Simply the worst service of any IC I have ever visited.

Service across the board was just terrible. As I am only likely to stay in winter that makes it an easier decision not to return.
Old Mar 18, 16, 11:10 am

Programs: ANA Platinum Super Flyers, IHG Royal Ambassador, Marriott Titanium
InterContinental Sydney Double Bay

InterContinental Sydney Double Bay

What is your IHG Rewards Club status?

Spire Royal Ambassador.

Mostly

Booked Executive Suite, Received Bay View Executive Suite (1 level upgrade)
This room is this hotel's 2nd highest category. This is the maximum upgrade of this hotel in principle.

How are the rooms?
Room is spacious enough. But not true bay view. Most of views are village view. I agree this is partial bay view. All toiletries are L'occitane.

How is the Club Lounge?
Entrance is very difficult to believe this is the Club Lounge. At first, I thought this entrance is for staff only. Inside is very cozy place with small courtyard. Beverage selection is excellent, but on the other hand, meal selection is one of the most smallest InterContinental in the world! (Quality is excellent!) No business centre and check-in/out function. Just a dining place.

What was your welcome gift?
Chocolate Box

How was the mini-bar?
Very Good. One G.H.Mumm demi bottle Champagne, Penfolds Red/White wines, and a lot of soft drink selections.

Did you receive fruit in the room?
Yes, one of the most plenty fruits basket.

GOOD
+++ Friendly staff
+++ Excellent mini-bar
+++ comfortable bed
++ Location

BAD
---------- View is not full bay view
---------- Water tap of bathtub (hot&cold description was opposite!)
--- Water pressure of shower is weak.
--- Club Lounge meal selections

Value for $ or Rewards Club Points?
So-so. I didn't feel the value of 900AUD for the Bay View Executive Suite.

Would you return?
Probably. But I will not book the suite. (Deluxe Bay View room is good enough!)
Old Mar 21, 16, 1:46 am

InterContinental Sydney

InterContinental Sydney

Spire Royal Ambassador.

Mixed feelings

Booked the Club InterContinental Harbour Suite, however one day before arrival, system indicated the Deluxe Harbour Suite (One level degrade). I have contacted to front office to tell it's not fair. They immediately returned to the original booking. I received same room with discount rate upon arrival. Assigned room was not high floor which I had expected. I asked to change for more higher floor. Management told me to wait until next day. Next day, I received the Australia Suite.

How are the rooms?
Club InterContinental Harbour Suite: 70sqm. Indeed dated. But room concept is good enough. No power outlet near the bedside.

Australia Suite: Highest category room of this hotel. 245sqm huge suite. Baby grand piano, Blu-ray AV system, personal printer/fax, spacious kitchenette, spacious bathroom with Jacuzzi, and exclusive terrace have equipped.

How is the Club Lounge?
Facility is absolutely one of the best in the world. But services are terrible! I have never and ever experienced this worst services. Especially the breakfast, totally same menu during my stay. And no one coming to take a order of egg dish and coffee or tea. They seems to ignore me. Of course, Meal quality is not exceeded my expectation.

Full bottle of hotel label red wine and Moët Champagne.

How was the mini-bar?
Good enough. One G.H.Mumm demi bottle Champagne, Jacob's Creek Red/White wines, and a lot of soft drink selections. But I think IC Double Bay was much better.

In addition, Australia Suite has 5x 1000ml S.Pellegrino and 3x 1000ml Acqua Panna.

Yes

GOOD
++++++++++ Upgrade to Australia Suite
+++++ Moët Champagne as welcome gift
++ Good selections of mini-bar
++ Restaurant outlet (The Meat and Wine Co.)

BAD
I can't complain to the hotel since I received the Australia Suite. (HAHAHA!) However I'd like to say this Club Lounge experience is the WORST I have ever. Also would like to mention that WiFi is not stable. Connection is OK. But response is disaster. Need to improve immediately.

Yes (Thanks to Australia Suite!)

Would you return?
Probably. But I will not use Club Lounge.

Last edited by Raynyan; Mar 26, 16 at 1:07 pm Reason: Update YouTube URL for Australia Suite
Old Mar 21, 16, 11:07 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Raynyan View Post
InterContinental Sydney

Spire Royal Ambassador.

Mixed feelings

Booked the Club InterContinental Harbour Suite, however one day before arrival, system indicated the Deluxe Harbour Suite (One level degrade). I have contacted to front office to tell it's not fair. They immediately returned to the original booking. I received same room with discount rate upon arrival. Assigned room was not high floor which I had expected. I asked to change for more higher floor. Management told me to wait until next day. Next day, I received the Australia Suite.

How are the rooms?
Club InterContinental Harbour Suite: 70sqm. Indeed dated. But room concept is good enough. No power outlet near the bedside.

InterContinental Sydney, Club InterContinental Harbour Suite - YouTube

Australia Suite: Highest category room of this hotel. 245sqm huge suite. Baby grand piano, Blu-ray AV system, personal printer/fax, spacious kitchenette, spacious bathroom with Jacuzzi, and exclusive terrace have equipped.

InterContinental Sydney, Australia Suite (Royal Suite) - YouTube

How is the Club Lounge?
Facility is absolutely one of the best in the world. But services are terrible! I have never and ever experienced this worst services. Especially the breakfast, totally same menu during my stay. And no one coming to take a order of egg dish and coffee or tea. They seems to ignore me. Of course, Meal quality is not exceeded my expectation.

Full bottle of hotel label red wine and Moët Champagne.

How was the mini-bar?
Good enough. One G.H.Mumm demi bottle Champagne, Jacob's Creek Red/White wines, and a lot of soft drink selections. But I think IC Double Bay was much better.

In addition, Australia Suite has 5x 1000ml S.Pellegrino and 3x 1000ml Acqua Panna.

Yes

GOOD
++++++++++ Upgrade to Australia Suite
+++++ Moët Champagne as welcome gift
++ Good selections of mini-bar
++ Restaurant outlet (The Meat and Wine Co.)

BAD
I can't complain to the hotel since I received the Australia Suite. (HAHAHA!) However I'd like to say this Club Lounge experience is the WORST I have ever. Also would like to mention that WiFi is not stable. Connection is OK. But response is disaster. Need to improve immediately.

Yes (Thanks to Australia Suite!)

Would you return?
Probably. But I will not use Club Lounge.
What was going on, any explanation by hotel as to the downgrade?

It is never acceptable to assign a lower room category than booked, and certainly not to do such games with a top status, RA Elite guest.

I can live with keeping booked category w/o upgrade if hotel makes correct refund to rate 1-cat below, but downgrading a guaranteed reservation is unwarranted

I can only guess "a n other guest" wanted to make a lengthier reservation than you in that category and you got bumped downwards for financial reasons.
Old Mar 21, 16, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by scubaccr View Post

It is never acceptable to assign a lower room category than booked, and certainly not to do such games with a top status, RA Elite guest.

I can live with keeping booked category w/o upgrade if hotel makes correct refund to rate 1-cat below, but downgrading a guaranteed reservation is unwarranted

I can only guess "a n other guest" wanted to make a lengthier reservation than you in that category and you got bumped downwards for financial reasons.
At the InterContinental Sydney the room itself is exactly the same for Club Harbour Suite and Deluxe Harbour Suite. Club rooms just get club access and they try to put club guests on a high floor.
Old Mar 21, 16, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by scubaccr View Post
There's no explanation. Nothing. But hotel showed their finest good will by Australia Suite. I will not pursue about it anymore.

Originally Posted by Miles Down Under View Post
At the InterContinental Sydney the room itself is exactly the same for Club Harbour Suite and Deluxe Harbour Suite. Club rooms just get club access and they try to put club guests on a high floor.
Yes, and at that time, hotel was fully booked. So probably some front officer was going to assign me lower floor. But I had GM's VIP attention. Managements immediately corresponded my inquiry.

I'm very happy and appreciate front office's great job and effort. But Club Lounge staff screwed up it. It's a shame.

Last edited by Raynyan; Mar 21, 16 at 6:11 pm
Old Mar 21, 16, 10:39 pm

Programs: IHG Spire RA
IC Yokohama

IC Yokohama

- No

- Booked Standard (points), upgraded to Double (King) Deluxe Sea View
- Paid reservations are upgraded to the Club Floor

How are the rooms?
- The overall hotel to include the room is showing its age and really needs to be remodeled
- The bathroom lacked some of the amenities typically found in a Tokyo IC
- We occasionally heard noise from the room above

How is the exec. lounge?
- The lounge was okay (nice view), though I thought it was quite small and felt a bit tight (tables for two pretty close together).
- Cocktail service was good; drinks provided by waitstaff from a menu.
- Breakfast spread was adequate, but not impressive.

Did you receive a welcome gift?
- Did not receive a welcome gift.

How was the minibar?
- Not good; several Japanese beers and 3 cheap small wine bottles. A small/medium size bottle of whisky was the only hard stuff.

-Good
-Bad
- Hotel treatment of RAs on award stays
- Outdated rooms that need a remodel
- Lack of room amenities for a Tokyo IC
- Unacceptable wait times at reception
- Unacceptable wait times for elevators

Value for $ or Priority Club Points?
- Terrible (50K), considering that the upgrade/lounge RA benefit is not typically honored.
- JPY nightly rates on weekend days can be very high. I would find it very hard to justify even with paid RA treatment here.

Would you return?
- No

Other Notes
- Hotel policy on paid reservations is to upgrade RAs to the club floor
- This does not apply on award reservations
- They gave me club access as a one time exception after I pressed them on it via e-mail
- It can literally take 5 minutes to get an elevator, even though there are 6 of them
- The line at reception was over 15+ minutes long for check-in and check-out without a designated area for Ambassador members
- Room TV system is older and does not have VOD
Old Mar 22, 16, 2:12 am

Moderators, please do not forget to add my Double Bay Sydney post on the regions list.
Old Mar 24, 16, 12:53 am

Intercontinental Bangkok

Intercontinental Bangkok

Yes

Booked club room, received Royal Suite. Hotel was fully booked and this was the only available room

How are the rooms?

The Royal Suite: Review: Intercontinental Bangkok – ROYAL SUITE

How is the exec. lounge?
Great lounge. More a restaurant at the top floor.

A souvenir

Yes

How was the minibar?
Two minibars!

Good
  • Upgrade
  • Club
  • Rooftop pool
  • Location next to the big shopping malls
  • Easy acces to the highway to the airport
  • View
  • Great fitnesscenter

Rates are higher nowadays than they used to be

Would you return?
Yes
Old Mar 29, 16, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
New Orleans

Yes

Booked standard, two nights paid and one night points. Received business suite for all 3 nights with full benefits.

How are the rooms?

Seems to have been recently renovated. The biz suite has a side room with a pull out sofa bed and TV that is separated by sliding doors. In other words it works perfectly as a separate kids room. The rest of the room has plenty of space. There is a pop up power strip at the desk which also has USB ports.

How is the Club lounge?

No club, but RA's get free breakfast coupons and they said I could have as many as I wanted for family. The breakfast is very good with a New Orleans flavor to it. They had some sort of Eggs Benedict with crawfish that was pretty good.

Chocolate and a cheap bottle of Merlot.

How was the minibar?

It was ok but rather uninspiring.

-Good
Upgrade
Extra breakfast coupons given happily
It was nice to be a few blocks away from all the excessive drinking and debauchery that goes on in the Quarter.

-Bad
Nothing

Yes very reasonable prices.
Old Mar 29, 16, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Fiji

Yes

A mixture: one night paid club one bedroom suite, three nights points, two nights BOGO club one bedroom suite. Given club one bedroom plunge suite for all six nights with all RA benefits.

How are the rooms?

Ground floor, 115m2, large lounge area with very long sofa, dining table. Rather bland, although not unpleasant decor. The Fiji-ness is understated. Nice bathroom with separate toilet and shower cubicles, two basins. Plenty of wardrobe space. Firm bed (unusual for a IC in my experience), which we like. Smallish TV in lounge and bedroom. Plenty of power points (same configuration as NZ or Aust). Our room has a view out over the resort to the ocean. Outside, deck with daybed and Cleopatra bath, plunge pool in the garden (guess 4mx2m, 1.5m deep). Small lawn area with two loungers. Quite private, only overlooked by one other room (if they are leaning over their balcony rail).

How is the Club lounge?

Resort style club, with private pool for club guests. Breakfast, lunch (payable), afternoon tea and evening cocktails. For afternoon and evening sessions they bring you a plate of snacks/canapés - small but OK. Very friendly staff. Mixed a great GnT for me. RA can also have breakfast at the buffet restaurant, Sanasana or the fine dining restaurant, Navo.

Plate of cookies/mini cakes plus half-bottle of Nottage Hill Chardonnay. Also replica Fijian drum.

How was the minibar?

No spirits, couple of beers and some soft drinks.

-Good
Upgrade
RA treatment
Fijian hospitality

-Bad
Not really bad, but the club area is quite a long way from the beach and other hotel facilities. You can walk, obviously, but generally we would call a buggy or ho on the resort shuttle bus.

Yes for me, definitely.
Old Mar 29, 16, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nicolas75 View Post
- What is your IHG Rewards Club status?
Spire Royal Ambassador

- Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
Yes, as always

- Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked cheapest advance rate and was upgraded to a Club Junior suite with balcony (I specifically asked for a room with balcony and sun, which means the room at the end of the corridor, avenue side).

- How are the rooms?
Around 45 sqm
Classic and elegant design.
Seating area with desk
Flat screen television set, with large selection of international channels
Bedroom with very comfortable bed
Marble bathroom with separate walk in shower. Agraria amenities
Very quiet.
Large terrace balcony.
View over the city
Fast wifi
No iPhone dock
No plugs close to the bed

- How is the exec. lounge?
  • Warm classic design
  • Very friendly staff
  • Very good breakfast with hot and cold option
  • 2 free PC with Internet and printer
  • Evening food has been massively improved: selection of two hot dishes,
  • Nice selection of sweet and salted canapés during the day

- What was good and what was bad?

GOOD
  • The staff is really nice at IC Madrid
  • Luxurious atmosphere in public places
  • Nice courtyard garden
  • Location is very convenient from airport (metro station 80 meters from the hotel) and shopping: the Salamenca district is one of the most elegant for luxury boutiques and concept stores (Isolée, Gallery Madrid, ...) and "secret" museums (Fundación Juan March, Residencia des estudiantes, Museo Cerralbo, etc.)
  • Pretty nice fitness centre

BAD
Nothing

- Value for $ or IHG Rewards Club Points? Would you return?
Yes

Pictures of the city

Pictures of the hotel

Video of the Junior suite
I had the same upgrade on my last stay but from a booked club room

Search this Thread