Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please post your Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2016, 7:18 am

Programs: IHG Diamond AMB, M&M SEN
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Don't get too enthusiastic!!

Those "from" rates disappear quickly outside quiet weekends. Rates can pick up significantly when demand is there, and it usually is.
Ok thanks for the hint, maybe I am lucky, however this is the 2nd year in a row when I wanted to go to Frankfurt and it looks there is no enough demand
Old Aug 29, 2016, 9:02 am

IC Davos

IC Davos

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?

Booked 2x basic room for a family of 4 + 1 guest; received 2x deluxe rooms adjoining.

How are the rooms?

Beautiful view! Rooms did not seem particularly spacious but perhaps that was influenced by the additional bed at the foot. Large, modern bathroom.

How is the exec. lounge?

N/A

What was good and what was bad?

good:

The spa area is great with an indoor and outdoor split pool. There are underwater automatic doors to the outside! The outside view is nothing special in summer, as it is too low to see the mountainscape. But I can imagine how nice it would be in winter. Nice details in the changing areas, including bags for wet swimwear.

Service was generally friendly and efficient, especially housekeeping.

Gift was a small bag of local gerstensuppe (barley soup) to make at home - there on arrival. A fruit platter and a beautiful box of locally-inspired chocolates, in a box with the hotel's architecture embossed, was delivered later.

Prices for drinks were not bad at all - for Switzerland.

Not related to the hotel, but as an aside: Davos-Klosters has all public transport, mountain railways and cable cars for free for anyone staying overnight during summer which is a significant saving especially for non-locals. They also offer free activities from Monday to Friday, including introductory windsailing, horse-riding and paragliding lessons...

bad:

Only thing was check-in where I was made to feel a little uneasy at a couple of my family forgetting their passports - culturally you'd not carry a passport for a domestic trip in the UK... but this was minor.

Oh, and I'd have preferred drinks or points as a welcome gift instead of a lucky dip which was a free dessert with a meal I didn't intend to order.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?

For CHF175 per room in summer, it's a bargain. In fact, with the Davos-Klosters card, it makes Davos cheap in comparison to a lot of European locations. Not sure I'd pay CHF600+ in high season though - love skiing here but can do as a day trip. Maybe with the BOGOF.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 8:46 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb., Marriott Gold, FB Plat, BAEC Silver
IC San Francisco

IC SFO

Booked a junior suite and got upgraded to a one bedroom suite.

How are the rooms?

Very nice view over San Francisco. Room is also large, bathroom is very nice (even with a TV).

How is the exec. lounge?

Great! Very nice staff and nice food all over the day. They serve a nice breakfast (hot and cold)

good:

- Nice lounge and lounge staff;
- Great view from the room;

bad:

- The most unpersonal approach I've ever had in a IHG property. Even in the most simple HIX properties they have a small letter or such a thing. Not here;
- Check in was very unpersonal as well;
- Before this stay, I've email them (because it was a special occasion). Very enthousiast response and they promised me to upgrade us "as far as possible". We heard nothing about this. When we came in the room, it was cold and dark. No welcome gift or anyting. After complaining, they brought fruit and a bottle of champagne. The latter was nice, but I still wasn't very happy about this.

Paid $ 500,00 ex. tax for the room, applied a Free weekend night cert. We have to pay for the lounge ($ 50,00 a day). Given the fact the price for a junior suite dropped to $ 330,00 a night, I've better choosen that rate. I wouldn't return because I missed a personal touch during this stay.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 4:34 pm

IC Dallas

Oil-boom era hotel in Addison. Used to be called the Registry Hotel Dallas.

IC Dallas

Booked lowest rate and got what was probably the biggest room in the place. Two-floor suite that was about 50% larger than the two-floor suite I got there last time.

How are the rooms?

Musty and dated, though not threadbare or in poor condition.

How is the exec. lounge?

Small, but OK food and beverage.

Good:
Really liked the lobby/bar area. It's huge and nicely appointed.

Bad:
The room was a little musty. Could probably use an ozone machine or something.

Paid $200 for the night. Fine value. Would return.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 12:53 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
IC Hong Kong

IC Hong Kong

Booked Deluxe room, received 1 level upgrade to Harbour View king. Or it could have been a Deluxe Harbour View, I don't know what the difference is. In any case, we were assigned to the 12th floor with a straight on view of the Convention Center across the harbour. Ambassador gift was jasmine tea.

How are the rooms? Very nice, loved sitting on the chaise and watching the activity in the harbor. Harbor lights at night, very special. Bed/pillows perfect, so comfortable.

How is the exec. lounge? Did not partake. At, approximately $200 USD per day surcharge, decided to skip it. Although in hindsight, after experiencing prices for the hotel's breakfast & lunch menus, maybe should have considered it. A better deal for those who appreciate & partake in the alcoholic beverage offerings.

What was good and what was bad? Service was impeccable, the view and ambiance was spectacular. The pool area is very nice, construction noise was present. Since we were in the middle of a big city (more high rises than any other place on the planet, we're told), it seemed okay and not obnoxious. If we'd been at a beach or resort, the noise would not have been okay. The location, as far as being able to eat at outside restaurants, was not good. Who wants a 15 minute walk in the heat/humidity to obtain one's morning coffee and breakfast? With that said, the hotel's food was excellent. $140 USD lunch for 2 consisting of one hamburger/fries, soup, lettuce salad, coke & ice tea is obscene. We relented and did splurge because the food was so good and the service so perfect--had the breakfast buffet, lunch buffet, room service, plus poolside & lounge breakfast.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return? Would return, this makes being an Ambassador worth it. Great value, I suspect room price was low due to construction (stayed 4 nights mid-week). I had planned on using points, but a guarantee upgrade to harbour view was nearly $100 USD per night. 60K points + $100 versus advanced rate of $250 USD AI. Chose the latter.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 4:17 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold, IHG - Spire Ambassador
IC London O2

IC London O2

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive? We booked the cheapest room (King Superior) and received a two level upgrade to King Deluxe Riverview.

How are the rooms? Great - floor to ceiling window with view, coffee machine, two bathrobes and two pairs of slippers. Generous fruit platter and chocs were delivered 5 minutes after check in. A personal letter from the GM was pushed under the door later. At turn down all of our towels were replaced and water/in room coffee were replenished. Bathroom had a huge deep bath and a separate rainforest shower.

How is the exec. lounge? No access

Bad - we went on public transport and the walkway between the station and the hotel seemed unfinished.
- there was only one computer in the business centre so we had to queue to use it.
- paid for movie choice was poor; we had already seen most films.
Good - breakfast was amazing. There was something for everyone. Good coffee, delicious smoothies and extensive hot selection, breads/pastries and fruit.
- the pool is gorgeous and was mostly empty whilst we were there, but there were rather silly restricted hours that kids were welcome.
- all staff that we encountered were very friendly and seemed well trained.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return? Our room was just north of Ł100 and we checked in at 1.30 on Saturday and left at 4 on Sunday. At this price we would be there every weekend.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 6:55 pm

IC Amstel

IC Amstel

Booked basic king room and received upgrade to executive suite (city view). Nice upgrade especially considering this was a 3-night reward stay.

How are the rooms?

Very nice - bed was amazingly comfortable, room was very large, and the bathroom has a good shower and oversized tub.

How is the exec. lounge?
Didn't have access

Good:
Hotel is beautiful, also feels fairly intimate despite the enormous marble lobby/entrance area. Didn't try the spa or restaurant. Booked a river/canal ride on the hotel's boat - more expensive than elsewhere in the city, but it's open to guests only, and the boat itself is pretty fancy.

Bad:
Concierge wasn't super-friendly, but aside from that it was great.

Out of my budget to pay with cash (rate for a basic room was around $380 per night), but not a bad value with points. Would definitely return if not for the fact that I'd like to burn some Hyatt points at the Andaz the next time I'm in Amsterdam.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 3:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, Honors Gold
IC Singapore

Premier Suite King. Upgraded to Heritage Club King 2-3 days before arrival.

How are the rooms?

In good condition, although the bathroom could do with regrouting in places and some of the the light switches were mislabeled

How is the exec. lounge?
Busy! I had breakfast before 0830 each morning so earlier than the peak but for afternoon tea and evening drinks there was rarely a free seat with groups sharing tables

Good:
Staff in the lounge were excellent. Heritage Club Suites on the same floor as the lounge.

Bad:
Water bottles at the pool bar aren't kept cold.

Was by myself so splurging for a suite in the first place was a touch extravagant. In future if I was sure I'd get value from the exec. lounge I'd book the cheapest club room.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 3:20 pm

Programs: IHG PlatAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
IC Hong Kong

IC Hong Kong

Deluxe Harbor View room, received 2 level upgrade to Executive Suite on the 15th floor with panoramic view of the harbor. The Executive Suite we had was the size of two regular rooms.

How are the rooms?
Very nice, but the bathroom was dated and housekeeping wasn't as good as other IC's as there was hair on the headboard, the bathroom was dirty, and creamer next to the Nespresso machine was expired and rotten (should have been checked.)

How is the exec. lounge?
Too expensive and not included.

Service was good although our room wasn't ready by check-in time even though I confirmed our arrival time in advance. The taxi line was extremely long when it rained, so we had to walk in the rain to the nearest underground (at the end of the driveway) to avoid waiting. Definitely a famous hotel but it has seen its better days. Extremely long walk to everything including subway. Poor restaurant selection, everything is overpriced.

We used Ambassador certificate, price was over $400 USD a night, other arguably nicer and better located hotels were half this cost. Without the certificate it would have been a ripoff. You pay for the view. Next time we will stay somewhere closer to the subway and center city as there are other newer options.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 4:02 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
IC Amstel

IC Amstel Amsterdam

Cheapest room on points --> upgraded to a "Penthouse Suite" (with river view) visible online a few days before.

How are the rooms?
Very traditional but vey nice. This was a split level suite, with ground floor entrance area, sofa, desk, TV, minibar, coffee machine (one of those stupid Illy ones - over-engineered!) then upstairs to bedroom with further TV, small balcony with direct view of river, bathroom with separate bath and tub.

Main thing is the decor is traditional, lots of art on walls, and ornate. Very very upmarket feel to hotel and this was my first stay at the Amstel.

How is the exec. lounge?
N/A

Service on arrival was top class. Arrived on foot from metro, was met at the door and offered assistance, went to Ambassador desk and took a seat. I would say the service was probably a bit TOO much for me - i.e. the lady was very nice but I asked for a map and she insisted on walking me over to the concierge and introducing me and getting me a map and I just felt a bit like a muppet because I didn't want any assistance, just a map! I was shown to my room and she went through all of the features with me, explained all of the Ambassador benefits - she did point out that the upgrade was an exception not the rule.

Can't criticise anything about the hotel. This is clearly one of the true 5* properties in IC's portfolio that has nothing to prove but still goes above and beyond. This stay really did exceed my expectations in every way.

My only comment is that the location is slightly off centre but I would return again - certainly a great hotel if you want a weekend away.

Excellent value for points!!! Better to be lucky than rich
Old Oct 6, 2016, 1:52 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

IC Budapest

I booked the second highest category, the Executive Suite, and got no upgrade since apparently there was only one higher room, the Presidential Suite, which was occupied. This appears to be the truth. So I grumbled about it and eventually they agreed to lower my room rate by E100 a night which, I regard as a very fair resolution.

How are the rooms?

If this is the second highest category, I don't want to be any lower. It is about 40sqmt in size, divided into a living room, a bedroom, and the world's smallest bathroom. You literally cannot close the bathroom door if you are sitting on the throne. This is really small for a suite, by the way.

The room is decently kept but has a dated east block look. We had to call numerous times to get all the things I expect in a good hotel room, but they did provide them eventually, sort of. The room comes with two towel sets, period, by default, one bar of soap, and so on, sort of like a baseline Holiday Inn Express. But there were largish bottles of conditioner and shampoo because this was a suite, I guess.

How is the exec. lounge?

Decent, good food offerings but all the hot offerings were really old and stale, pretty much inedible. Cold offerings were sandwiches. Multiple ones could be combined into one nice one. The room itself however is quite spacious and welcoming. It wasn't crowded the few times I was there. I haven't felt the need to use it much.

Good:
Location on the Danube is really pretty if your room faces it. Service was cheerful and accommodating but they didn't volunteer much and they do make mistakes in some recommendations. The concierges are pretty good generally, however.

Bad:
Definitely overdue for renovation. There was a conference on one day I was here and they reserved half the elevators for the participants, meaning long waits for hotel guests. Most of the time the reserved lifts just stood empty on the ground floor, guarded by staff to keep us unimportant hotel customers out. Not very nice.

Unclear. I like nice hotels, and while I am sure many would like this hotel, for me it was at best borderline.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Oct 15, 2016 at 6:22 pm
Old Oct 9, 2016, 5:59 am

IC Warsaw

IC Warsaw

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive? We booked the cheapest possible and received a one level upgrade to a high floor XX08 corner deluxe room. Upgrade was awarded the day before arrival.

How are the rooms? Lovely - clean and spacious. Comfortable bed, desk, armchair and chaise longue. Ample storage. Nespresso machine plus kettle with teabags and instant coffee. Four bottles of mineral water. Check in welcome gift was a 200 point voucher. Room welcome gift was a 75cl bottle of French red, which was very drinkable. In room fruit was one apple, two truffles plus a slab of chocolate covered chopped almonds. More fruit and water were available in the pool area. View was of the Palace of Culture. Bathrobes and slippers in the wardrobe.

How is the exec. lounge? No access

Good - pool and hot tub/gym on the top floor where we spent a lot of time. Views were sensational in the evening. It was uncrowded at lunchtime - my son had the pool to himself. Breakfast was great - included a glass of Prosecco. We were late down, after drinking the welcome gift bottle of red. At 11am a member of staff came to our table to ask us if we needed nothing more as they were about to clear the buffet. Turndown chocs were yummy.

Bad - nothing really. If I was being really picky we had to wait 5 minutes to be seated for breakfast.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return? Our nightly rate was Ł75 including breakfast. I know Poland is cheap but we would pay the same to return.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by MrsW
.... We were late down, after drinking the welcome gift bottle of red.....
Nothing quite like a bracing snifter before facing the day...
Old Oct 9, 2016, 6:56 am

And this is after we'd had a few in the lounge pre-flight! Oh dear.... ..
Old Oct 14, 2016, 5:48 pm

Programs: Delta - Diamond, IHG - Spire, Choice - Plat, Avis - Presidents Club
IC Chicago

Booked: Half my stay was booked in a standard double room in the historic tower (the cheapest/smallest rooms at this location) and the other half was in a standard double in the executive tower... That's what I get for waiting until the last minute to book my room for the largest convention in Chicago (IMTS).

Room Received: Deluxe Room In the historic tower, no need to change rooms halfway though my stay.
How are the rooms?
The Deluxe rooms (which are in the historic tower) are awesome, floor to ceiling windows with fantastic views of Michigan Ave and the Chicago River. In my experience (I've been spend several weeks a year at this IC) you want to avoid the standard rooms in the historic tower (or "grand tower" as they now call it), they're not bad, especially after the recent refurb, but I find them to be small (it's pretty cramped with two people sharing) and rarely have any real "view", not bad, but not a very good value. The executive tower rooms are great, extremely spacious and well appointed, honestly it's one of the better values in the area. The suites (in the Exec tower) are really spacious and well appointed, a definite recommend.
How is the exec. lounge?
Non-existent.
Good: The Ambassador check-in allowed me to bypass the massive line (as stated above, this was during a huge convention), I was also very pleased that I didn't have to switch rooms half way though my stay, the deluxe room was an added bonus. In my experience if you book a standard room you can usually pick your upgrade to either the executive tower (a bit more space) or deluxe room (best views) but YMMV.

Bad: There was a chocolate stain on the carpet, and a ~1"x2" red stain/mark on the wall next to the bed (looked like blood... I hope it wasn't), I wasn't too upset, stuff happens, and it's the first time I've had an issue like this at this location. I called housekeeping, the manager came up to personally take care of it, she offered to send up a bottle of wine but I declined and mentioned that I'm more of a scotch drinker (as a joke, I really didn't expect any comps, it wasn't a big deal). Well, much to my surprise when I returned to my room after dinner there was a bottle of Johnnie Black, a bucket of ice, and a couple high ball glasses. I certainly didn't expect that, it was a nice gesture.
I was on a convention rate so it was it was a great value. In the past I've found there rates to be very reasonable for the area, with the exception of the standard historic tower rooms (which I explained above...), but if you're an Ambassador you don't have to worry about that anyway. I will certainly return (as have for years)... in fact I'm staying again next month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.