IC Hong Kong versus IC Grand Stanford comparison

Old Jun 20, 2016, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Lewis42
How are people finding the difference between the two hotels lately?

I am looking at spending a long weekend there with the in-laws in the first part of 2017.

Thinking of booking the one with points and the other with BOGOF certificate and some 's.

I am leaning towards the Intercontinental Hong Kong and not the Grand Stanford from what I've read.
As an RA I would say it is a no-brainer to normally stay at IC-HK over the IC-GS, especially if you can afford to book HV Room for upgrade to Dlx JS , versus booking basic room for upfgrade to Sup JS.

If you have never been to HK before and are unlikely to again, ICHK great HV versus ICGS poor HV is another reason to choose ICHK, plus ICGS HV room are angled side of building view (if you take upgrade) poor and IMHO so poor as to be valueless.

Reasons +/- For and Against both
IGCS
- Have to choose between upgrade or lounge
- RA is upgraded to J-suite, HV is are angled side views, and is very dissapointing
+ Lounge access allows Restaurant breakfast foc
- Lesser view of harbour than ICHK.. You get angled side view and see very little from the 2x RA J-suites per floor.
- Taking upgrade gets j-suite at with side view but further away from harbour
- Even booking a HV room, upgrade is to J-Suite nearer the harbour with side view of harbour.. imho also a poor HV
+ Junior Suite is a proper 2-room Suite (with large TV in each room)
+ Lower basic rooms rate than ICHK
+ AE shuttle bus stops at IGCS (does not goto ICHK)
+ Allow to take room upgrade then usel/buy lounge (cheaper than other way)

ICHK
+ Do not need choose between upgrade or lounge, RA gets both
+ Superior HV from any HV room at ICHK (versus angled poor HV from J-Suite at ICGS)
- Pricier room rate for rooms at ICHK
- Rooms upto and including Exec Suite are just single rooms (w/o even partitioning)
- AE station shuttle does not goto ICHK. (take a taxi, cheap enough in HK)
+ RA currently always get Lounge whether award or paid stay plus upgrade
- Lounge access does not allow breakfast in restaurant foc
+ Much superior HV from any room HV, Sup J/S, Dlx J/S
+ Upgrades RA on award (Basic entry levelroom to Sup J/S)
+ Book HV Room as RA upgrade is Dlx J/S OR Book Dlx J/S for Exec Suite (dont book Dlx HV as upgrade is Dlx J/S)
+ Dlx J/S and Exec Suite shower cubicles are also steam rooms (Sup J/S's is not)
+ Restaurants = 3x Michelin Star restaurants if you are a foody
+ ICHK minibar is much better, has far more and better content (ICGS is OK as it goes)

Last edited by scubaccr; Jun 20, 2016 at 6:37 am
Old Jun 20, 2016, 7:37 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
Scubaccr, thank you very much for the time to write this, this is exactly what I was after.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 7:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK*Elite+, EBD, FBG, EKS, IHG Royal Ambassador
Big thanks for all the info here, scubaccr. I have a night in Hong Kong coming up in a couple of weeks and I have booked a reward on both ICHK and ICGS. I was wondering which one to chose and it looks like the ICHK is the one to go with as an RA on a reward stay.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 9:27 am

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
Hi

I will be in HK this weekend.

Just checking as RA, how are the ICs to accommodate late check-out at 5pm? I have tried previously at IC GS and they have given me at 5pm (as an exceptional gesture) given that the rooms are not full.

Not too sure if these have changed for IC GS and if IC HK will accommodate such requests.

Thanks!
Old Sep 4, 2016, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by hclee01
Hi

I will be in HK this weekend.

Just checking as RA, how are the ICs to accommodate late check-out at 5pm? I have tried previously at IC GS and they have given me at 5pm (as an exceptional gesture) given that the rooms are not full.

Not too sure if these have changed for IC GS and if IC HK will accommodate such requests.

Thanks!
As RA at IC-GS the room upgrade is poorer, and even is just choice of upgrade/lounge, so the hotel has many more room of type you occupy to incoming guests if you occupy past 4pm, so IC-GS 5pm checkout is not directly ccomparable with IC-HK

Post 4pm checkouts are not simply a question of rooms not sold (low occupancy) but that after you vacate room it needs to be cleaned/refreshed
I think at IC-HK you should politely ask lounge manager to stay in lounge 1500 onwards until you need leave.

At IC-HK as RA you are also in one of the better room types hotel has far less numbers of, and room is thus more likeley to be needed for an incoming Amb/RA guest. Having your nice room at IC-HK increases need for hotel to refuse extended checkouts.

No hotel employs round he clock cleaning staff and it coud well be the room-maid for the block of rooms that includes yours is waiting around from 3pm-4pm and idle purely to clean your room when normally she'd have finised and gone home.

nb
Where an IC has a lounge, eg as ICHK and I have the best Dlx JS in middle of floor, I will vacate my room by 1430 and wait in lounge till eg 5pm 6pm, 8pm, most ICs are very flexible especially when one doesn't hog a nice room to 16:15.
I try to remember if I extend checkout past 4pm I am likely blocking another RA checking in later afternoon.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 8:14 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Hyatt Globalist
Just to add another perspective on these hotels -

I've stayed at both of these hotels on many business trips during the past year, and I actually prefer the IC-GS vs. the IC-HK for the following reasons:

- The wait for a taxi at IC-HK can be ridiculous. When I have meetings in the morning, the last thing I want to do is wait around for a taxi and risk being late. I have literally walked to the office more than once due to this. IC-GS does not have this problem; there are always taxis available in my experience.

- IC-GS has a lot of great restaurants and bars within close walking distance. Banks (ATMs), 7-11, etc. all close by. IC-HK is a bit isolated, set back kind of far from the main street, and not as convenient to get out and find dinner off-site.

- The IC-HK Pool View Suite is a rather poor suite compared to the IC-GS Jr. Suite, which you can get by foregoing the club lounge access at IC-GS. I don't need to drink every day (and skip breakfast), so I usually opt for the suite upgrade instead of club access.
--IC-HK Pool View Suite has no real view of anything (except a construction site...), no door separating the sitting area from the bedroom area, an aging bathroom, and poor noise insulation from neighbors. It also takes FOREVER to walk to the room from the elevator bank.
--IC-GS suite has a decent view, a completely separate sitting area, no noise issues, a large modern bathroom, and a huge walk-in closet.

- Club-level room at IC-GS is sometimes cheaper than the cheapest IC-HK room. This nets RA both club access and the Jr. Suite.

This is all from the perspective of business travel during the week. If I was redeeming points or staying for leisure, I'd probably choose the IC-HK (definitely on points).
Old Sep 6, 2016, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
My favourite is clearly IC HKG for atmosphere, location and club lounge (as RA).

Still, renovated rooms at IC GS have now a better design than the ones at IC HKG.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 12:12 am

I can't speak to the Ambassador benefits (which have been thoroughly covered anyways), since I'm not one. But in general, I'll choose IC any day over GS. First off, GS is a little too far from the MTR (Tsuen Wan). Lobby to platform, it takes a few minutes longer from GS vs IC. Also, the pool/jacuzzi... incomparably bigger at IC, not to mention the endless jacuzzi. Then, the view... even the best harbour-view room at GS will not let you see any skyline west of Admiralty. Service at IC is unbelievable... I'm just a Platinum, but they seem to leave you some sort of a surprise at least once during the stay (dessert, gingerbread house, etc). Also, many of the standard and side harbor-view rooms at GS are pretty small.

On the other hand, if you're on a tight budget but have to have harbour-view, then GS is definitely worth considering. I've seen <2000HKD, even though those are side harbour-view and you're really getting a poor man's harbour view.

Also, Cafe on M is an excellent buffet choice. I find IC's Harbourside unaffordable. I don't think it's overpriced, because you get the harbour view and the selection there is amazing, more than Cafe M. But Cafe M is more affordable for lunch/dinner, just as tasty imo, and has all the essentials.

Originally Posted by Kaix
J
- The wait for a taxi at IC-HK can be ridiculous. When I have meetings in the morning, the last thing I want to do is wait around for a taxi and risk being late. I have literally walked to the office more than once due to this. IC-GS does not have this problem; there are always taxis available in my experience.

- IC-GS has a lot of great restaurants and bars within close walking distance. Banks (ATMs), 7-11, etc. all close by. IC-HK is a bit isolated, set back kind of far from the main street, and not as convenient to get out and find dinner off-site.
Hmm I don't recall problems with taxis at IC. Mind you, it sounds like you stay there all the time, so you probably have a lot more data points than I. IC does feel isolated, but it's actually very quick to get to the shops and dining. I timed myself from the IC lobby to Sogo (now below Sheraton)... only 4 minutes.

Last edited by evergrn; Sep 7, 2016 at 12:21 am
Old Jan 7, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: LH FTL
Hi all,

I found this thread which seems very valuable to me. I must say that I am still very new to IC hotels as they do not fall into my travel policy but I am now planning a private trip and I might find some value in buying Ambassador. So maybe you can help me with some advice?

I will be with 2 friends in HK from Thu to Sa. Would those 2 days qualify to redeem the weekend certificate? Can I book a room for 3 persons (maybe with a rollaway bed) and will still get a room upgrade + the 2nd night free? Our idea would be that we have the nights in HK in a very nice room, ideally good / big enough to accomodate 3 persons with nice harbour views. This will be the last days of our tour, so it can be spectacular :-) Would you have and idea how we can best make use of Ambassador status for this?

BTW Haven't bought Ambassador yet but would consider that if it gets me enough value (but I believe it would in HK if I could use the weekend certificate). Any help and ideas are appreciated!

Thanks
FlyDUS

Last edited by FlyDUS; Jan 7, 2017 at 11:47 am
Old Jan 7, 2017, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by FlyDUS
Hi all,

I found this thread which seems very valuable to me. I must say that I am still very new to IC hotels as they do not fall into my travel policy but I am now planning a private trip and I might find some value in buying Ambassador. So maybe you can help me with some advice?

I will be with 2 friends in HK from Thu to Sa. Would those 2 days qualify to redeem the weekend certificate? Can I book a room for 3 persons (maybe with a rollaway bed) and will still get a room upgrade + the 2nd night free? Our idea would be that we have the nights in HK in a very nice room, ideally good / big enough to accomodate 3 persons with nice harbour views. This will be the last days of our tour, so it can be spectacular :-) Would you have and idea how we can best make use of Ambassador status for this?

BTW Haven't bought Ambassador yet but would consider that if it gets me enough value (but I believe it would in KH if I could use the weekend certificate). Any help and ideas are appreciated!

Thanks
FlyDUS
1. Friday night is indeed valid for Weekend Certificate. Please remind that rates to be used with certificate are generally as high as flexible rates.

2. Have you checked if suites accept 3 adults in the same room?

Not quite sure for example that it is possible in the suite I generally have at IC HKG

3. Depending on your status, Crowne Plaza Causeway Bay or Indigo might be a better choice (even if not quite sure again that 3 adults could stay at some rooms).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26837923-post132.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...l#post26933730

Last edited by nicolas75; Jan 7, 2017 at 11:45 am
Old Jan 7, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: LH FTL
Thanks nicolas75

I do not have any status with IHG group and would only buy the Ambassador for that single trip / night if there is good value. Haven't checked with the hotel directly but had hoped someone has some ideas / experience to share.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nicolas75

2. Have you checked if suites accept 3 adults in the same room?

Not quite sure for example that it is possible in the suite I generally have at IC HKG

InterContinental Hong Kong - YouTube
I have just checked and actually ICs, CPs, Indigo, Holiday Inn Golden Mile Hong Kong and Holiday Inn Express Hong Kong SoHo accept 3 adults in a room.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 10:44 pm

Programs: Clubcarlson Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire AMB etc.
Stayed at both last month, both in full harbour view rooms.
• The GS views are very nice but not as dramatic as the IC.
• Decor wise rooms were very similar. The room in the IC had a bathtub while the GS didn't.
• Club lounge in GS is great, nice food selection in the evening and booze. Can't comment on the IC one.
• Service I found very similar, both were excellent.
• The immediate area near the GS was nicer. The IC has massive construction site next door that is visible from the junior suites (we actually asked to downgrade to HV room to avoid any possible noise issues during the day)
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:22 pm

Programs: Spire Ambassdor
I'm Pltinum Ambassador
If i use BOGO booking SUPERIOR JUNIOR SUITE POOL VIEW
that incluing Club loung access ??

or I should Booking INTERCONTINENTAL HARBOUR VIEW ROOM and buy Club loung access 2 days (How much?)
Old Jan 9, 2017, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by taecu
I'm Pltinum Ambassador
If i use BOGO booking SUPERIOR JUNIOR SUITE POOL VIEW
that incluing Club loung access ??

or I should Booking INTERCONTINENTAL HARBOUR VIEW ROOM and buy Club loung access 2 days (How much?)
No room types at the IC HKG include club unless you are a RA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.