Wiki Posts
Search

CC Auth for Rewards Nights

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2015, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: IC Spire Ambassador
CC Auth for Rewards Nights

Hi, is there any way to know how much will be charged as an authorization for a rewards night?

I have a card that I use only for hotel reservations that way unexpected holds won't interfere with a vacation, and I usually load the cost of the room + $50/night.

Usually there's never been a problem as I usually arrive before they authorize my card and so if my card declines while I'm there I can just transfer the extra into that account, however this time I won't be arriving until after 12:30 AM and I imagine they will have already authorized my card. Is there a standard auth amount for a rewards night?

The reservation is only for one night (my plane lands at 12:30 AM, and the next morning I will be continuing on to my actual destination). $100 should probably cover it, right?

I also got the notification for anywhere check in just a few minutes ago, does that change how they do the auth?

If it matters, this is the Orlando Airport Holiday Inn.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 11:40 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by ThatOneGayRavenclaw
Hi, is there any way to know how much will be charged as an authorization for a rewards night?

I have a card that I use only for hotel reservations that way unexpected holds won't interfere with a vacation, and I usually load the cost of the room + $50/night.

Usually there's never been a problem as I usually arrive before they authorize my card and so if my card declines while I'm there I can just transfer the extra into that account, however this time I won't be arriving until after 12:30 AM and I imagine they will have already authorized my card. Is there a standard auth amount for a rewards night?

The reservation is only for one night (my plane lands at 12:30 AM, and the next morning I will be continuing on to my actual destination). $100 should probably cover it, right?

I also got the notification for anywhere check in just a few minutes ago, does that change how they do the auth?

No, there is no standard amount. It's up to the individual property. Call the hotel and ask. Could be anywhere from $10 per night to $200 a stay.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 11:51 am

As Cal says I don't think there is a standard amount, here in the UK I've seen anything from £15 to £100 for a one night award stay.

Once about eighteen months ago on an award stay there was one hotel that put a hold for one night at the BAR that was advertised on the website at exactly 4pm. This was released when I checked in and one for £50 was then added.

Apparently if you no-show on a rewards night they bill you for the room rate and refund the points hence the hold for the BAR. I've only seen it happen once though.

If you are going to arrive late it really is advisable to call and get them to put a note on the reservation that you will be a late arrival and you can ask them about the pre-auth at the same time.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 12:26 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ThatOneGayRavenclaw

Unlike CC guaranteed late arrival FLEX bookings there is no cut off time in an award booking like say 4pm on day for hotels to decide to bill your CC the room rate to check it works in case you no show.
Also airport hotels by their nature see many many late and even 2am checkins so are less likely to jump the gun and charge CCs before guest arrives or hotel decides is a noshow at 7am next day

1. Although possible it is rare for hotels to authorise your card before you arrive, even if arriving post later than time the CC is used to guarantee holding of room for a late Rrival for.
I have only had this precharge occur at 2hotels in UK the last 3years on my flex bookings at one HIE and one Indigo.

2. However flex room rate post 4pm/6pm late arrival is not something that will need refunding so hotels feel freer to do so.
With award night even after last cancel time as long as you do turn up no room rate is due so hotels will not process a no show until next morning say 7am onwards

3. Regards the overrate deposit for f+b/damages, that varies highly depending on hotel and hotel facilities, often in UK HI/HIE/ £50 per night or at the IC Amstel it is 200euro/night on checkin on top of your room rate

4. If hotel decides to charge you CC before your very late arrival it will probably only be as a "No Show". as they close hotels daily room inventory account for your night say midnight to clear their booking system
Alas in this case hotel A)refunds points B)does not charge incidental deposit and worse C) charges your CC any amount but likely a quite high walkin rate for your missed night

Last edited by scubaccr; Sep 26, 2015 at 12:34 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.