Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experiences being caught using corporate code not entitled to?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2015, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Experiences being caught using corporate code not entitled to?

Has anyone ever been caught using a corporate code they are not entitled to at a hotel? If so, what did they do and how did you handle the situation? Like do you pretend to work for the company but don't have ID due to being a contractor etc, pretend you have no idea you booked a corporate rate but can't afford whatever higher rate they would like to collect and would need to stay at a different hotel if the hotel can't honor the rate you booked, hand over a fake ID, pay and dispute the difference etc.

NOTE: Please do not use this thread to discuss the ethics of using a corporate code one is not entitled to use. I'm just asking the community if they have had experience being caught and how they handled it.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 12:26 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Premier Silver, IHG Spire Elite, HHonors Silver, RapidRewards
No but I have a ton of experiences being prepared to hand over ID for the rate I use, and no one ever caring, ever.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 1:12 pm

Programs: IC Spire Ambassador
Thankfully, while I'm not exactly entitled to use FedEx rates, my uncle is head of security so I can always have him fax over documentation saying otherwise.

That being said, I've never been asked to provide any proof. It's not something I just do all the time, but I've never had any problems when I have.

I'd say your best bet is to just go in being really friendly from the start, and then if they ask just make pretend like you left it at home.
If you're friendly enough, they probably won't care too much, unless they're seriously ovebooked. They'd rather rent it out to you at a discount than have it sit empty, unless they think you're just going to be a pain in the ... in general.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Security is properly managed then at FedEx if it can provide false documents
Old Jul 26, 2015, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by ThatOneGayRavenclaw
Thankfully, while I'm not exactly entitled to use FedEx rates, my uncle is head of security so I can always have him fax over documentation saying otherwise.
I'm sure your uncle and FEDEX will be pleased you shared that happy bit of information with us
Old Jul 26, 2015, 3:12 pm

Who said the documents were false? :P

The documents don't have to have any fictional information. Not talking about a work ID or security clearance, just paperwork on official letterhead with the signature of some head-honcho giving me permission to use the rate due to my "relationship" with the company.

The fact he's never actually had to do it was my main point though - most IHG properties don't seem to care too much, although I'm sure there are those that do.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Who said the documents were false? :P

The documents don't have to have any fictional information. Not talking about a work ID or security clearance, just paperwork on official letterhead with the signature of some head-honcho giving me permission to use the rate due to my "relationship" with the company.

The fact he's never actually had to do it was my main point though - most IHG properties don't seem to care too much, although I'm sure there are those that do.
What relationship with the company? That your Uncle works there? That is not a legitimate reason for you to be able to use a corporate rate. So yes, is fake paperwork.

My experience, though with Hilton, the person in front of me was trying to use the AAA rate but was not a member. FD clerk asked to see their AAA card and the person said they didn't have it with them. FD clerk asked if they were a member, person hesitated answering and mumbled something. They were told if could not produce something to prove they were a member they would have to charge rack rate for the stay. Person grumbled some more and said, no one else has ever asked to see a card, why were they. FD clerk said too many people trying to use a rate they are not entitled to. I was also on a AAA rate but carry my card with me so produced it when the FD clerk asked. Another time I was a vendor working at IBM. IBM made the reservation for me at their rate and when I arrived at hotel had to produce paperwork showing I was working at the IBM facility. So yes, people do get asked and if you can't provide proof you are entitled (and having an Uncle send a pice of paper is not real proof you are entitled) to the rate, be prepared to pay or leave. And I am seeing more and more places ask and it is ALWAYS because they are trying to cut down on illegitimate use.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 4:22 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by 1353513636
Has anyone ever been caught using a corporate code they are not entitled to at a hotel? If so, what did they do and how did you handle the situation? Like do you pretend to work for the company but don't have ID due to being a contractor etc, pretend you have no idea you booked a corporate rate but can't afford whatever higher rate they would like to collect and would need to stay at a different hotel if the hotel can't honor the rate you booked, hand over a fake ID, pay and dispute the difference etc.

NOTE: Please do not use this thread to discuss the ethics of using a corporate code one is not entitled to use. I'm just asking the community if they have had experience being caught and how they handled it.
You are unlikely at Hilton/Ihg to be called for proof of the standard corporate "gold" rate with the standard 15% discount off flex. You may well get asked when gaining larger discounts or free breakfasts etc over and above 15%
(Conversely Marriott hotels always ask me for ID )

Once you are past cancelation deadline either advance rate or flex, and obviously your CC is provided when originally booking, if your hotel asks for corporate ID of your corporate rate and you can not comply, the hotel will simply charge you the correct higher rate.
You agreed to all those terms when making your reservation.

There is no opportunity for you to say you can not afford the higher correct room rate , hotel simply bills your provided CC the correct higher rate

You could simply take the long view , if you only got caught out say 1in 5 times and the saving on the 4 nights you got away with would more than cover the fifth night hotel increased your discounted rate.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Baze
What relationship with the company? That your Uncle works there? That is not a legitimate reason for you to be able to use a corporate rate. So yes, is fake paperwork.
I highly doubt I'm the only one with a corporate hotshot relative who allows family to use the codes.
The only legitimate reason the hotel needs is that the company is giving permission, for whatever reason, for that individual to stay on the corporate rate. Since my uncle is THE guy to ask permission from, I see that to be a perfectly legitimate reason, and the paperwork (that so far has never actually been produced) would not be fake.

But again, I was only attempting to share my experience, not derail this thread. Obviously YMMV, but from my experience, so long as the hotel is not overbooked, and so long as you go in with a friendly smile and an air of confidence, they usually won't cause any problems.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I highly doubt I'm the only one with a corporate hotshot relative who allows family to use the codes.
The only legitimate reason the hotel needs is that the company is giving permission, for whatever reason, for that individual to stay on the corporate rate. Since my uncle is THE guy to ask permission from, I see that to be a perfectly legitimate reason, and the paperwork (that so far has never actually been produced) would not be fake.

But again, I was only attempting to share my experience, not derail this thread. Obviously YMMV, but from my experience, so long as the hotel is not overbooked, and so long as you go in with a friendly smile and an air of confidence, they usually won't cause any problems.
But you don't work for FedEx and your reason for staying is not FedEx related so what makes you believe it is a legitimate use of a FedEx discount code?

Guess I am just an old school person who believes in personal integrity and would never consider doing what you are doing as I consider it not kosher. but that is just me. You do whatever you feel is legitimate in your eyes. I also believe in Karma, what comes around, goes around.

To give you an example. I recently went to a sandwich shop, ordered a Turkey sandwich with avocado, which is extra. Forgot to tell them at the register I added the avocado. I realized it when I sat down to eat. I went back to the register and told them and paid for the avocado. They were very grateful for my honesty. Would you have done the same? This is personal integrity in my eyes.

Last edited by Baze; Jul 26, 2015 at 5:30 pm
Old Jul 26, 2015, 5:49 pm

But you don't work for FedEx and your reason for staying is not FedEx related so what makes you believe it is a legitimate use of a FedEx discount code?
I believe it's a legitimate discount code because I have permission from FedEx to use it. At the end of the day, that's their call, not yours.
And if your concern really was illegitimate use of codes, you'd be going after OP rather than derailing the thread to go after me.

Guess I am just an old school person who believes in personal integrity and would never consider doing what you are doing as I consider it not kosher. but that is just me. You do whatever you feel is legitimate in your eyes. I also believe in Karma, what comes around, goes around.

To give you an example. I recently went to a sandwich shop, ordered a Turkey sandwich with avocado, which is extra. Forgot to tell them at the register I added the avocado. I realized it when I sat down to eat. I went back to the register and told them and paid for the avocado. They were very grateful for my honesty. Would you have done the same? This is personal integrity in my eyes.
Honestly, in that exact scenario I would tell them.
A better comparison though would be if I walked up to the restaurant my partner manages, order my food, have it rung up correctly, and then he comes over and comps it as an employee meal. In that case, while I'm not an employee, the discount is still legitimate because the guy who makes those decisions decided it was so.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe it's a legitimate discount code because I have permission from FedEx to use it. At the end of the day, that's their call, not yours.
And if your concern really was illegitimate use of codes, you'd be going after OP rather than derailing the thread to go after me.

Honestly, in that exact scenario I would tell them.
A better comparison though would be if I walked up to the restaurant my partner manages, order my food, have it rung up correctly, and then he comes over and comps it as an employee meal. In that case, while I'm not an employee, the discount is still legitimate because the guy who makes those decisions decided it was so.
And your Uncle in security in empowered to make those decisions?
Old Jul 26, 2015, 6:06 pm

And your Uncle in security in empowered to make those decisions?
Considering he's not "in security" or even a low-level supervisor but "head of security" (as stated previously), yes, he is absolutely empowered to make those decisions.

But honestly, I don't have to justify myself to you, and I won't continue to reply and further derail this thread.

To the OP:
You have my experience and comments from others. Wish you the best of luck in however you handle this.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Considering he's not "in security" or even a low-level supervisor but "head of security" (as stated previously), yes, he is absolutely empowered to make those decisions.

But honestly, I don't have to justify myself to you, and I won't continue to reply and further derail this thread.

To the OP:
You have my experience and comments from others. Wish you the best of luck in however you handle this.
Whatever makes you sleep good at night. I just believe in integrity. If not on FedEx business or an employee of FedEx not entitled to use the code. But hey, if the FedEx policy actually has in writing that relatives, no matter how far removed, can use the codes, then more power to you. Enough said.

If not entitled, don't use the code.

Last edited by Baze; Jul 26, 2015 at 6:17 pm
Old Jul 26, 2015, 6:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 1353513636

Usually with any Hotel, if you are carded and cant produce any ID that enables you to get the rate you booked at (using a code) then be prepared to being charged Rack Rate.

Yesteryear it wasnt so risky sinc ethe CX policy was Day of @ Check-in time, so as long as you got there before the CX time was past, then if carded all you had to say was OK CX the res then. That doesnt exist any longer as its now 24 hrs before if not earlier, so no ID they simply will charge the CC you used when you made the res , forget about Disputing it as the hotel will produce the res and their CX policy and that you used a code that you werent entitled to use

So if its a coup[le of $$ difference it may be worth the roll of the dice, on the other hand if theers a large difference I dont think Id want to roll the dice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.