FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   Kids in executive Lounge (from Royal Ambassador Experience Discussion) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/1694990-kids-executive-lounge-royal-ambassador-experience-discussion.html)

nicolas75 Jul 14, 2015 2:10 am

Kids in executive Lounge (from Royal Ambassador Experience Discussion)

Originally Posted by gunlie (Post 25113354)
Great lounge with fantastic service.

Kids below 12 years not allowed in the lounge. Disappointed. We were allowed to take food from the lounge to our room.

I would love that ALL lounges may follow the same rule: club lounge are not kindergarten but place where guests are supposed to have a quiet atmosphere (by the way, same rule for loudly speaking guests thinking they are in a afterwork pub session).

MagicWok Jul 14, 2015 5:19 am

Originally Posted by nicolas75 (Post 25113887)
I would love that ALL lounges may follow the same rule: club lounge are not kindergarten but place where guests are supposed to have a quiet atmosphere (by the way, same rule for loudly speaking guests thinking they are in a afterwork pub session).

If I'm on business ^

If I'm with my family :td:

Solution: ICH should change the rules when I tell them! :D

stimpy Jul 14, 2015 7:36 am

If the kids are quiet and well behaved, then there's no problem. But some kids and some adults are not well behaved and they should be asked to leave. :) That's what a real club does.

gunlie Jul 14, 2015 8:25 am

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 25114742)
If the kids are quiet and well behaved, then there's no problem. But some kids and some adults are not well behaved and they should be asked to leave. :) That's what a real club does.

Agree. Even with the kid sleeping in the babystroller we were not allowed in the Parnas club lounge... Who would that disturb???

mitpat474 Jul 14, 2015 8:49 am

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 25114742)

Even when they are some Qatari royals kids (spoilt brats) ;)

nicolas75 Jul 14, 2015 9:56 am

Originally Posted by gunlie (Post 25114954)
Agree. Even with the kid sleeping in the babystroller we were not allowed in the Parnas club lounge... Who would that disturb???

Asian étiquette, as simple as that (by the way, what are you supposed to do if the baby starts crying in the lounge?).

Same story in NRT airport limousines where it is clearly asked not to speak loudly (for tourists who do not understand that no one needs to hear their loud conversations).

I had some bad experiences with children at Vienna and Madrid IC lounge, and I can tell you that I was not the only one to be disturbed:
http://ugc.ichotelsgroup.com/profile...99/profile.htm

I am always surprised that this basic étiquette is not followed by everyone (I have seen many times at Air France lounge for example passengers asked to leave if they/their children do not stay quiet).

Raynyan Jul 14, 2015 5:44 pm

+1^

Unterwegs Jul 14, 2015 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by Raynyan (Post 25117905)
+1^

+2

gunlie Jul 14, 2015 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by nicolas75 (Post 25115453)
Quote:
(by the way, what are you supposed to do if the baby starts crying in the lounge?).

Easy to answer: Then we would just leave the lounge - same as we would do in a lounge without the no kids rule ;-)

markis10 Jul 15, 2015 1:27 am

I would like to see the option to take kids in on weekends and during school holidays, as that is often when I am an IC with my son. FWIW some of the better lounge experiences I have had is when kids where allowed and they got a chance to interact with other kids, it also gives parents an opportunity to teach kids how to behave in different areas and to reinforce the fact there will be times where you must show quiet restraint.

stimpy Jul 15, 2015 2:30 am

Originally Posted by markis10 (Post 25119350)
I would like to see the option to take kids in on weekends and during school holidays, as that is often when I am an IC with my son. FWIW some of the better lounge experiences I have had is when kids where allowed and they got a chance to interact with other kids, it also gives parents an opportunity to teach kids how to behave in different areas and to reinforce the fact there will be times where you must show quiet restraint.

^

This is very true and most of my lounge experiences with kids are like this. All you need is for lounge managers to be strict on ejecting loud people of any age.

Carel1 Jul 15, 2015 7:58 am

Could not agree more.

uk1 Jul 15, 2015 8:12 am

I understand why some disagree, but I see nothing wrong with having a small place in a hotel that is child-free. Particularly where you'd like an "adult atmosphere" . Of course adults misbehave as well, but that's a different issue.

IC Vienna is one amongst many that have a terrible problem with some visitors basically abandoning children with their nanny all day in the lounge where they spend all day playing on the computers, covering the keyboard with the free snacks .. and running around whilst parents go off and shop. Inexperienced staff or staff who do not wish to be the target of a complaint are understandably very reticent to control this. Most have a perfectly adequate suite which is the best place for that. The management of IC Singapore saw the sense of evening cocktails being child free ... they have a perfectly adequate place for their kids to scream and annoy others elsewhere.... working on breakfast also being child free ......:D

I see nothing wrong with the situation where 95% of a hotel is available to adults with their sproggs but 5% being a sprogg-free haven. It seems perfectly reasonable to me.

:)

ThatOneGayRavenclaw Jul 15, 2015 8:53 am

I was at the IC Dallas this past weekend and was very surprised to see kids brought into the lounge. Thankfully they didn't stay long, but yeah, couldn't agree more that it should be kid-free.

(In actuality, it should probably be 21+, at least in the US, because it's not like they're monitoring that closely who's taking the alcohol....)

Although, for what it's worth, I'm not much of a kid person anyway. I specifically try to avoid areas where there's likely to be children.

MSPeconomist Jul 15, 2015 9:03 am

Originally Posted by markis10 (Post 25119350)

You should be aware that some people travel for business during YOUR kids' school holidays. In fact, some of us regularly do business travel that includes weekends.

Lounges should be child free zones at all times.