Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG Rewards Club and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Kids in executive Lounge (from Royal Ambassador Experience Discussion)

Kids in executive Lounge (from Royal Ambassador Experience Discussion)

Old Jul 19, 15, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by uk1 View Post
.. And then the family complain to the hotel - "We will never come back to a hotel that treats us rudely and hates our kids".

It isn't a practical solution. A simple age ban is a simpler rule to enforce that everyone can understand and causes less problems and confrontations.

The scenario you outlined is a rather small subset of possible outcomes however uofron ban of kids from lounge will with hight probability ensure that families will not come to the property. Not only that, i personally would try to avoid such property and chain when traveling alone too and i bet many parents would do too. Most parents do try hard to make sure kids behave.
Old Jul 19, 15, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH SEN, AB PLAT, BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, SPG Lifetime Platinum, IHG RA, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by uk1 View Post
As a lawyer () you will undoubtedly understand that sometimes apparently simple solutions are not always as simple in practice. What are lounge staff expected to do in the situation where a servant has been left in charge of the kids all day in the lounge. It becomes almost almost a humanitarian issue.

Many of us know that if she tries to quieten them they will tell their parents and she will be disciplined. If she is kicked out of the lounge it will be traumatic and she will be disciplined. And then the family complain to the hotel - "We will never come back to a hotel that treats us rudely and hates our kids".

It isn't a practical solution. A simple age ban is a simpler rule to enforce that everyone can understand and causes less problems and confrontations.

As a lawyer I am fine with well behaved kids and I am not fine with drunken [.... Whatever nationality...] misusing the lounge for long parties. I am further not fine with the offspring of [.... Whatever nationality....] misusing the lounge as a kindergarten. A lounge is a great place for people of whatever age assuming they can behave. You might see it differently as a ban of Kids from Pubs was the law in the UK. It was however always different in my and several other countries.
Old Jul 20, 15, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KLM LTP| Emirates Gold |InterContinental Spire RA |A Club Gold |AMEX Plat| Visa Plat |Hertz P
I must say that I just had a (great) stay at IC Bucharest.

Not only the lounge is very nice by the design, but also very peaceful (and great service).

Exactly the kind of lounges I love.
Old Jul 20, 15, 1:56 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer View Post
As a lawyer I am fine with well behaved kids and I am not fine with drunken [.... Whatever nationality...] misusing the lounge for long parties. I am further not fine with the offspring of [.... Whatever nationality....] misusing the lounge as a kindergarten. A lounge is a great place for people of whatever age assuming they can behave. You might see it differently as a ban of Kids from Pubs was the law in the UK. It was however always different in my and several other countries.
Hi,

I think all of what you say virtually everyone would agree with.

Just a correction .... there are many myths and misunderstandings about UK law with respect to kids and pubs. The laws have been pretty liberal for some time. You might be interested in:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/bbpa-prod/at...pdf?1399886463

But ... no ... this aspect of British pub life has no influence on this issue for me whatsoever because pubs are normally fairly noisy places often with loud music, people are ofen boisterous and noisy ... and all of this is why people go to pubs .... It's what you should expect ... and not in any way comparable to an IC club lounge .....

Last edited by uk1; Jul 20, 15 at 4:57 am
Old Jul 20, 15, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
The reason you get kids in lounges is usually that the hotel is not geared up to cater for them, eg the main restaurant is too formal / too expensive / open too late in the evening and the rooms are too small to do room service easily.

If you could sit in a lobby lounge and order a kids pizza for $10 then most parents would prefer that but it is often not an option.
Old Jul 20, 15, 2:30 pm

I just noticed there are 5 pages of this gripping first world problem saga that is threatening our existence. Now that P5 + 1 is done with Iran, perhaps they can take on this issue at hand.
Old Jul 20, 15, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KLM LTP| Emirates Gold |InterContinental Spire RA |A Club Gold |AMEX Plat| Visa Plat |Hertz P
Originally Posted by Stefan Sip View Post
I just noticed there are 5 pages of this gripping first world problem saga that is threatening our existence. Now that P5 + 1 is done with Iran, perhaps they can take on this issue at hand.
Old Jul 20, 15, 5:18 pm

Programs: VS Silver, Kris Silver, IC Amb, HH Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by nicolas75 View Post
After this is issue is easily sorted by us, perhaps we can quickly turn our attention to Spire. @:-)
Old Jul 26, 15, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer View Post
Well stated. As a parent and frequent traveler, I always enjoy spending time in the hotel lounge, airline club, etc with my family. They also enjoy spending "a day in the life if Mr. LatinAmericaFlyer". However, I am always conscious of other guests, and I wouldn't take my children to the lounge if they weren't well behaved.
Old Aug 9, 15, 11:50 am
Original Poster

During the TV segment, Bradford also suggested airlines should have designated areas for children and their parents. This solution has already been put into practice by Malaysia Airlines, which introduced child-free zones on its Airbus A380s three years ago.

“We’ve got business class, we’ve got first class, why can’t we have a family section?” asked Bradford. This family area, she suggested, might provide a fair and practical solution for all passengers, whether or not they are traveling with children.
http://www.flyertalk.com/articles/ba...-says-mom.html
Old Sep 8, 15, 6:19 pm
Suspended

I notice that children are now excluded from the IC Singapore lounge during cocktails. There's apparently a separate area in the Lobby lounge.
Old Sep 8, 15, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by Nickolash27 View Post
I notice that children are now excluded from the IC Singapore lounge during cocktails. There's apparently a separate area in the Lobby lounge.
That's correct for up to 12 year olds.

Last year we had to take our 11 year old son to the Lobby Lounge, didn't matter where we sat, to be waited upon personally as there were hardly anyone else there.

I much preferred this set up as we had plenty of room, personal service and no loud mouth look at me types.

When we go back next year I am hoping we can still go to the Lobby Lounge for the reasons above.
Old Sep 8, 15, 11:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ryry2003 View Post
no loud mouth look at me types
Are they banned from the Lobby Lounge?
Old Sep 9, 15, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by Nickolash27 View Post
Are they banned from the Lobby Lounge?
Bit of an over exaggeration on my behalf.

Unfortunately no but you're not in a confined space so not as noticeable.
Old Sep 9, 15, 4:15 am
Original Poster

I had recently a very pleasant stay at IC Berlin.

There was a couple with 2 young kids (around 6 and 8 years old).

All of them did behave perfectly (the mother whispering to them and they were replying back in the same way).

As usual, when parents take care of other guests, children behave just perfectly.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: